Real Dragon Shouts Coming to Skyrim

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Real Dragon Shouts Coming to Skyrim

Adding Kinect support to Skyrim might be the best idea ever.

The motion control of Kinect might not revolutionize the industry the way Microsoft hoped; there's just too many instances of waving your hands around like you just don't care. Integrating voice commands into traditionally contolled games might justify the $150 investment alone, however, like the revelation today that Bethesda will patch Skyrim to not only access menus and saves, but to actually use dragon shouts. Conceivably, you can say Fus Ro Dah and the enemy will be pushed off the cliff to his death. I don't think I'm going to hear cooler news today.

No word on a release date other than "soon". Bethesda does mention the list of voice commands will number more than 200, and will allow the player to tell followers what to do, change equipped weapons with hotkey swapping and access special map commands. "Where am I?" you will ask and the map will center on your location. But the answer will be, "In the future."

The quick navigation of menus looks especially convenient for my console brethren. You'll be able to say "Loot Items" and take everything from a container, as well as sort your inventory based on weight, value and name. And finally Lydia will stop getting in the way of my fireballs with a simple, "Lydia! Duck!" (At least, I hope she will.)

That all sounds great, but everyone with a Kinect and Skyrim will likely just scare the crap out of their dog with a few "in character" shouts.

[video=5580]

Expect a rash of new Fus Ro Dah videos. Also, expect a list of all voice commands and a street date for Kinect integration of Skyrim. I wonder if they will charge a price for something like this, seems a bit much but then again this is the company that charged $2.50 for non-functioning horse armor.

Bethesda also mentioned new exclusive Xbox 360 content like quests and locations coming down the pipe for Skyrim, of which Kinect support is only a small part. Sorry, PS3 players of Skyrim, not only do your dragons fly backwards [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114453-Skyrim-Patch-Makes-Dragons-Fly-Backwards], but you are stuck in the ghetto of the PlayStation Eye.

Apr 28, 2008
Eh, us PC players have been able to shout with the power of dragons [http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5626] for a while.

All that other stuff is neat as well. Though it seems like you should be able to use a 360 headset as well. But whatever.

VonKlaw

Jan 30, 2012
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Maybe casting won't be such a pain in the ass and I'll actually get my mage character finished

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I won't be using it, and I personally don't think it's a good idea, but I look forward to it.

It's going to be HILARIOUS to watch.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
So, I can pay $150 dollars for a Kinect to use dragon shouts vocally, or I can simply wait for Thu'um Mic to update it's functionality...

Sorry Bethesda but you're late to the party on this one.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
So it lets you do verbal shouts, which is a bit nifty I admit, and the rest is stuff moders fixed for the PC version in 5 minutes. Great, thanks kinect, keep proving you totally aren't a stupid gimmick. A few of those things could be accomplished just as well if not better by just patching in a new button. Hell there already is a loot all button.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I have Skyrim on my PS3, and want just the voice commands. :\ I want to be able to tell my ally to do things, rather than turning to them and naving a menu.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Well everyone is wrong about Bethesda being late, they already made it before the game came out in their Skyrim game jam. So since this came out and they already released the kill cams for magic and ranged combat this means we're one step closer to spears and WEREBEARS!

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
This is a perfectly fine idea. The trick to these kind of things is making them optional, which they of course will be.

K1CKER

Jul 24, 2009
rhizhim said:

I cant imagine any way this could backfire.

especially with shouts like:

IKANT HEAR YOU!

GETH THE PHON!

WHER ISTE REMOTHE!

OHSIT MYTHOES!

ITHINK IBROKE THEM!

NOYO STUPIT IDIOD DONOT RUSHTE ENEMI!

LYDIANO!

ISTEPED INA DORTIOOCHIP!
thanks, that video was really funny!
(I`m playing through ass creed right now)

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
They called me crazy for memorizing the Dragon words......but I showed them. WHO'S CRAZY NOW???

Craorach

Jan 17, 2011
For me its not about if I can do this on the PC for free...

So... you want me to get a Kinect, so I can not only flail around like a loon and look like one.. but I can sound like one too!

Yeah.. no, I'll stick with my mouse and keyboard thanks.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
I just dusted off my kinect this weekend, after raging on it for skiping around on netflix. Finally more purpose! Though the dance games are fun for drinking parties.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
*Sniff sniff*, I smell... *sniff* PC elitism...

Seriously, sure it costs to buy Kinect, but if this new content is free then it'll be a welcome addition to the game for Kinect users, who cares if you can get it for free on the PC, kinect isn't on the PC, voice commands are.

People that just spout rhetoric contribute nothing to discussions

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Trolling potential is immense.
I could walk in on my brother playing, talking to someone, Shout "Fus ro dah"
And watch him rage, becuase he doesn't save enough. :')

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
This looks cool just for organization purposes alone. Tis a shame PS3 won't have a similar function.