Real Final Fantasy VII Weaponry Causes Spinal Injuries

Shining_Pyrelight

Oct 17, 2010
This is why in an RPG, I would wield a staff. I mean, what's the point of looking cool if you can't even swing your weapon.

Guess this is why JRPG characters are always so sullen and willing to die. With all the health problem caused by their weapons, who would want to live afterwards.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
arc1991 said:
vxicepickxv said:
arc1991 said:
Firia said:
arc1991 said:
KaosuHamoni said:
I want one. =D

I'm sure that this is the same guy who made the masamune...

Edit: YUP!!! I was right. Same guy

This guy is soooo preparing for the inevitable zombie apocalypse...
Preparing to be eaten, maybe. :)
With a sword that big they wont even get close...XD
You underestimate the numbers. They'll keep coming, or pushing each other down the blade, until somebody gets a bite on you.

Both of these weapons look good, but are amazingly impractical. The lack of technique used with the Buster Sword shows no weapon training. The arm closer to the blade should have slid down to match the other hand, for more total force at the end of the blade.

As for combing guns and blades. There are two major variants.
Variant one - Put a blade on a gun. Call it a bayonet.
Variant two - Put a gun on a blade. Call it a pistol sword http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistol_Sword
When did the Escapist lose it's sense of humour -.-
About 7 or 8 hours ago. Didn't you get the memo?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Psychicflash666 said:
This is why in an RPG, I would wield a staff. I mean, what's the point of looking cool if you can't even swing your weapon.

Guess this is why JRPG characters are always so sullen and willing to die. With all the health problem caused by their weapons, who would want to live afterwards.
I guess that explains why Chie is so happy all the time. If you don't have a weapon, it won't give you health problems.

mptothedc

Jul 23, 2009
So, Cloud's buster sword is made of steel? Geez should have used a lighter and stronger metal xD

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Kalezian said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Oh yah, now a bunch of JRPG-haters are going to come and say how impractical and stupid that sword is... I don't understand why this is any different from any other impractical weapon? It's not like they were saying it was realistic...

you are asking people to rationalize a game where the main characters arms are much like Popeye's, and the token black guy has a MACHINE GUN grafted to his arm.

but at least it isn't a retarded as the Gunblade.
Why does everyone call the gunblade that? the "gun" part isn't an actual gun, it uses a mechanism in the shape of a revolver to cause the blade to vibrate, increasing the blade's slicing capacity.
Other than "a cool-looking impractical weapon," it actually validated the "Press the R trigger for a damage bonus" game mechanic, and the fact that his special attack requires trigger timing.

I thought it was a nice gesture.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
What they neglect to consider is that a buster sword NOT made that thick would weight at most 20lbs. He's an idiot because he built it with the thickness displayed in a game with bad graphics - not just because he then tried to swing it (though the latter is a bigger indication).

Jun 11, 2008
LogicNProportion said:
I call bullshit and that these people are pansies.

I made one, I bought one, I've wielded both of them extensively with no problem. Guess I'm just superhuman...

PS. Their technique is also all wrong. They should bring it over their shoulder more, and then come down in one, full, swinging motion, letting momentum do the work.
Just asking but did yours way 25kg?
Desworks said:
This demonstrates why us Irish folk haven't taken over the world yet. When we make stuff, it tends to be awesome, but not very good for the intended purpose (see also: Titanic, DeLorean). Our time will come though!
Well we did make the first viable military submarine as far as I remember.
dmase said:
I'm pretty sure i remember cloud looking like this

the sword looks very small in this picture tho... you know for a ff picture

A very skinny teen not a heavyweight MMA fighter. Bring the first guy back, more realistic.
You do know Cloud is over 20 in the game?

OT: He probably should of made it a bit less thick not that it would of really helped much kudos for atleast trying to use it although he should of given a miss with his back problems.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
This is somehow...incredibly cool! Thanks for posting the video ^~^!

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
-Zen- said:
I'd imagine there'd be more of a reliance on momentum rather than raw strength to put that thing to any use. Captain Steakchest seemed to be doing it the hard way.

[insert obligatory "awesome but impractical" comment here]
gatling guns akimbo. what now?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Kalezian said:
Erana said:
Kalezian said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Oh yah, now a bunch of JRPG-haters are going to come and say how impractical and stupid that sword is... I don't understand why this is any different from any other impractical weapon? It's not like they were saying it was realistic...

you are asking people to rationalize a game where the main characters arms are much like Popeye's, and the token black guy has a MACHINE GUN grafted to his arm.

but at least it isn't a retarded as the Gunblade.
Why does everyone call the gunblade that? the "gun" part isn't an actual gun, it uses a mechanism in the shape of a revolver to cause the blade to vibrate, increasing the blade's slicing capacity.
Other than "a cool-looking impractical weapon," it actually validated the "Press the R trigger for a damage bonus" game mechanic, and the fact that his special attack requires trigger timing.

I thought it was a nice gesture.

for the sake of argument:

the grip would break your wrist since not only is it an awkward position, the fact you would need to move your index finger to use the trigger makes it less 'gripable'. This is even more so with the stupid semi-auto version siefer has.

a blade "vibrating" does not help it cut any better, in fact it would be worse since its movements would be erratic compared to the motion that is required to actually cut. Even if it could work, why make it look like a gun? Why not just give it an internal mechanism inside the handle or something of the like?

as for it vaildating the "press AB+DOWN to catch the pokemon!", think about it for a second....

every. character. has. the. same. ability.

yes, even Zell had the same ability.

At least Final Fantasy VII, for all its flaws, embraced the second part of its name.
Why on earth do people always say, 'It would break your wrist!"
Its unpractical, yes, but I don't think there's any documented example of wrist injury due to gunblade.

Also, Bone Saws [http://www.ehow.com/info_7870703_electric-bone-saw.html] use blade movement to assist the cutting ability...

Why is it shaped like a gun? Because its a "cool," impractical weapon. I'm not saying it makes any sense, but I don't understand why people act like its the worst to come out of Japanese pop culture.

RabbidKuriboh

Sep 19, 2010
Desworks said:
This demonstrates why us Irish folk haven't taken over the world yet. When we make stuff, it tends to be awesome, but not very good for the intended purpose (see also: Titanic, DeLorean). Our time will come though!
pretty sure he isn't Irish............

OT it's a bit too long it's supposed to be just under the height of the person holding it, besides that pretty good replication!

ladysephiroth

Jan 26, 2011
<3. Just the time to make it would be epic ... but I kind of laughed when he tried to pick it up.

And dood. It's awesome that you can make and pretent to wield these things, but you only get one back. Slipped Discs are Serious Business. Lay off the swords until you get better.

EDIT: I want the Masamune he made!!!!!

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
Glademaster said:
The mocking sterotype for ff male characters are spikey haired skinny teens with a chip on their shoulder and big swords. They don't want cloud to look older, thats just the whole continuation thing. He is short has the same hair in the flashbacks(in ff7) and never really changes besides clothing and attitude. He is supposed to stay the same late teens looking person throughout even in advent he looks the same.

Maybe his hair changes a little but its very little.

Notsomuch

Apr 22, 2009
Awesome. Though, in all seriousness. It's time we retired poncy emo cloud and adopted a new and Better cloud.

You know who can swing that sword around? He can.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
RabbidKuriboh said:
Desworks said:
pretty sure he isn't Irish............
Very Irish in fact, though I would see why you might not realise it. His accent is a Galway accent (where my parents are from), and internationally everyone seems to think that all Irish people speak with Cork accents.

damse

Nov 2, 2009
Its no bigger than a scottish claymore but I hink its just the width and weight holding it back rather than there strength, probley why swords never got like that in real life.
BUT STILL EPICLY DONE!