Real-Life FPS Puts Random Chatroulette Users in Control

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Real-Life FPS Puts Random Chatroulette Users in Control

This incredible real life FPS challenges Chatroulette users to guide a space marine to safety.

We all know that about one in five Chatroulette sessions simply results in a man masturbating, but occasionally it can be used for something really, really cool. Case in point: this amazing real-life first person shooter that puts random users in charge of its space marine protagonist. The idea is fairly simple, when connected, the random user is instead shown a traditional first person view point, complete with health bar and gnarly Doom-style player portrait. They are asked to type "START" to take control, after which our adventuring space marine will do whatever it is his new commander asks.

The project was put together by the folks at RealmStudios [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_Q59DJRwAF4Hwtne8Unbdw], and the video you'll see to the right is the highlights of several "playthroughs". Players start out in a small, locked chapel with no weapons, and will have to equip themselves and fight through various zombies, demons and... doors, to find the end of the level.

What's really cool is all the attention-to-detail it has. The setting - what appears to be an old church, is super creepy and perfect for setting the mood, and little things such as a "quick-time event" and classic Doom sound effects really make it something awesome.

If you'd like to know more about how they put this thing together, check out the behind the scenes [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpfXmcL7Ox0] video.

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p747PrxmZJ4]

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Ah ha ha ha, this is freakin' epic. Hope they don't get sued over their boss fight, lol. Probably way too much labor to do this commercially, sadly.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
That was pretty damn awesome. Sometimes I want to go on Chatroulette because things like this seem like they'd be worth wading through the endless waves of dicks to take part in.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
When I make my first £20 million I will hire these guys to make a new game for me every month. When I get my first billion I plans for Total war Rome

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
They fought a zombie army, played an organ and killed a chaos space marine with a rocket launcher. All I wanna know is what the hell happens in level 2?! :D

Kudos to these guys from bringing something so cool and creative to the table, and actually managing to pull it off (in a few cases, anyway. I'm sure they had so many more failures on the way there though, lol).

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
This looks like a whole bunch of shenanigans, he even nailed the gravelly protagonist voice.

Prize has to go to the guy who says "Shoot the guy who's cleaning his car". Legitimately laughed at that.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
that was deadly haha very well done. i wanna see all the fail videos now.....you can really tell which ones were gamers and which ones were noobs.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Interesting... Would be pretty awesome though if they took an already existing oldie but goldie FPS like Serious Sam: The First Encounter or Unreal Tournament and stuck them in it to see how long they last without dying once. But I realize there are licensing issues with that so... I can only dream.

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
This is awesome. It's the kind of thing you can only get from a group of people utterly dedicated to make it happen, noone could pay for it otherwise I don't think.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
"Son... I am impress." -Every space marine ever

This is almost enough to get me to use chatroulette, that was fucking epic. Lvl 2 has to be a thing guys. You spawned this beast, now you must sate it's appetite! XD