Real Life Grand Theft Auto

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Real Life Grand Theft Auto

Stealing a truck full of videogames is one thing, but it takes gall to steal it twice.

After UK police confiscated a truckload containing $1.08 million in stolen PS3 games, crooks broke into the impoundment area and made off with the vehicle - games and all, according to The Sun [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1743917.ece]. Amusingly enough, copies of Grand Theft Auto IV were among the games stolen. How ironic.

Police originally recovered a truck containing seven pallets of stolen PS3 titles, including 16,000 copies of Brother In Arms: Hell's Highway. The games had been transported from Northampton, where they were stolen, to Leeds approximately 131 miles away. Law enforcement in the area discovered the vehicle and the stash, after recognizing the fake license plates. The truck was securely impounded, while waiting to be checked for fingerprints and tested for DNA evidence. However, police never had the opportunity; someone smashed open the shutters at the depot and made off with the truck shortly after it was impounded. It was eventually located several days later sans merchandise.

Several arrests have already been made in relation to the incident, and UK law enforcement officials continue their investigation this week.

"We are pursuing a number of lines of enquiry, including eBay transactions where a number of the games have been potentially identified as being advertised for sale," said a police spokesperson. "Arrests have already been made in respect of this."

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
If one of the accused starts blaming GTA... I'll get all GTA on him... Grr.

ObnoxiousTwat

Sep 28, 2008
They should have practiced on pervious GTA games before taking on such a heist. Maybe then they would have realized that such a robbery would get them at least two stars and would cause all nearby cops to drop what they are doing and chase them down.

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
xD this was actually quite amusing...altho ofc, its a bad thing.

but stealing the same truck twice! and from the impound, he must have been mad :)

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Amateurs. They should have just hit the nearest spray shop and no one would have been the wiser.

On a different note, I fail to see the connection to GTA here. Video games were stolen using a truck including, not surprisingly, the recently released GTA game. I never did anything like that in GTA.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
poleboy post=7.72773.774177 said:
Amateurs. They should have just hit the nearest spray shop and no one would have been the wiser.

On a different note, I fail to see the connection to GTA here. Video games were stolen using a truck including, not surprisingly, the recently released GTA game. I never did anything like that in GTA.
Grand Theft Auto is a crime. This is the name of the crime they committed. And trucks had copies of Grand Theft Auto in it. Therefore, irony. Nothing to do with the game itself.