Real-life Hover Vehicle Flies 15 Feet High

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Real-life Hover Vehicle Flies 15 Feet High

Mechanical engineering could allow people to control aerial vehicles without pilot training.

Hover vehicles are a staple of science fiction, with some notable examples being Luke Skywalker's Landspeeder in Star Wars: A New Hope and Return of the Jedi's Speeder bikes. Thanks to a California-based engineering firm, that sci-fi fantasy is becoming a reality. Aerofex has resurrected a design abandoned in the 1960s to make an intuitive aerial vehicle that can be flown without pilot training.

As aerospace engineer and Aerofex founder Mark De Roche explains, the vehicle could be responsible for "lowering the threshold of flight, down to the domain of ATVs." It's controlled by a mechanical system with controlled by two knee-level bars that respond to the pilot's movement and balance. Using a simple mechanical system, instead of complicated electronics or artificial intelligence, makes piloting the hover vehicle easy to learn, giving more people quicker access to areas without roads or methods of transportation. Some of the "unique advantages" of the craft include "flight within trees, close to walls, and under bridges."

Currently, the vehicle is undergoing manned tests at heights of 15 feet, with a maximum speed of about 30 miles per hour. Don't rush out to the store to get your own, though, as Aerofex currently has no plans to sell a manned version. Instead, it will be used to develop unmanned drones, which could utilize the same hover technology to deliver supplies or perform other tasks.

Source & Image: Yahoo News [http://news.yahoo.com/hover-vehicle-recalls-star-wars-bike-171401941.html]

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
not planning on selling a manned version?

they've taken something that flies low altitude and removed all the expensive crap... WHY NOT SELL IT TO PEOPLE?!

it's like they hate money or something...

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
What, why are you not selling me this right now.
I mean this is awesome, there is going to be a market.
They've gone through the trouble of making it easy for people already and now they want to get rid of them, what the hell guys?

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Oh, sure, let the drones have all the fun.
Build hovercraft that really flies, make it a drone and don't sell it to people, get military contract, ???, profit.

Get rich quick scheme if I ever saw one.

I'd like one.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
They made a decent hovercarcand aren't going to put it o the market? Any chance someone could helpfully sneak a look at their designs and make a version different enough that it can be sold without violating copyright?

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Ralen-Sharr said:
not planning on selling a manned version?

they've taken something that flies low altitude and removed all the expensive crap... WHY NOT SELL IT TO PEOPLE?!

it's like they hate money or something...
Because health and safety will shit on it. Cars are dangerous enough anyway. I have a simple rule when out walking : All drivers are morons, no exceptions. It's saved my arse a few times with the way some dicks drive, so to give someone something that goes a good speed up to 15 feet is just asking for trouble.

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Is there a way for people you have on ignore not showing up in quoted posts too? It really defeats the purpose if I still end up seeing what they write.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
If these things could be made to carry as much cargo and passengers as a large van, it would certainly make the logistics of archaeological and geological expeditions simpler. Sometimes the hardest part of those projects is navigating remote areas that are several miles away from the nearest thing you could call a road.

Might not be a bad idea for hospitals either.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
They made a decent hovercarcand aren't going to put it o the market? Any chance someone could helpfully sneak a look at their designs and make a version different enough that it can be sold without violating copyright?
Probably, these guys are just ripping off 50-year-old technology. Although you'd have to make a lot of improvements to make the thing worthwhile as now it's just a super-expensive ATV that can't carry much cargo and tops out at a lame 30 mph.