Real-life Hover Vehicle Flies 15 Feet High

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
i just thought boy i bet that is loud as hell when running, no reason it could not be made safe like limiting the flight ceiling, limiting the speed, for public idiocy.

thing probably sounds like a harrier jet however, when people sized.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
ERTW. SOMEONE PUT GUNS AND MISSILES ON IT! I demand hoverbike races and death-matches to become an Olympic sport!

Vault Citizen said:
They made a decent hovercarcand aren't going to put it o the market? Any chance someone could helpfully sneak a look at their designs and make a version different enough that it can be sold without violating copyright?
Ralen-Sharr said:
not planning on selling a manned version?

they've taken something that flies low altitude and removed all the expensive crap... WHY NOT SELL IT TO PEOPLE?!

it's like they hate money or something...
Because everything that has been invented *MUST* be produced for the market, R&D and production cost be damned.

Let's all ignore the differences between prototypes and final versions, the initial costs of mass production and the absolute uncertainty of the profits.

Somethingfake said:
Because health and safety will shit on it. Cars are dangerous enough anyway. I have a simple rule when out walking : All drivers are morons, no exceptions. It's saved my arse a few times with the way some dicks drive, so to give someone something that goes a good speed up to 15 feet is just asking for trouble.
Can health and safety actually do anything if it's just meant for private property? Selling it doesn't imply making it "street legal".

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
cerebus23 said:
i just thought boy i bet that is loud as hell when running, no reason it could not be made safe like limiting the flight ceiling, limiting the speed, for public idiocy.

thing probably sounds like a harrier jet however, when people sized.
AND EET'S WHEESPER QWI-YET!

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
ElPatron said:
ERTW. SOMEONE PUT GUNS AND MISSILES ON IT! I demand hoverbike races and death-matches to become an Olympic sport!

Vault Citizen said:
They made a decent hovercarcand aren't going to put it o the market? Any chance someone could helpfully sneak a look at their designs and make a version different enough that it can be sold without violating copyright?
Ralen-Sharr said:

they've taken something that flies low altitude and removed all the expensive crap... WHY NOT SELL IT TO PEOPLE?!

Because everything that has been invented *MUST* be produced for the market, R&D and production cost be damned.

Let's all ignore the differences between prototypes and final versions, the initial costs of mass production and the absolute uncertainty of the profits.

Somethingfake said:
Because health and safety will shit on it. Cars are dangerous enough anyway. I have a simple rule when out walking : All drivers are morons, no exceptions. It's saved my arse a few times with the way some dicks drive, so to give someone something that goes a good speed up to 15 feet is just asking for trouble.
Can health and safety actually do anything if it's just meant for private property? Selling it doesn't imply making it "street legal".
It would be somewhat detrimental to sales when it's not allowed to be driven anywhere outside private property.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Kargathia said:
It would be somewhat detrimental to sales when it's not allowed to be driven anywhere outside private property.
Karts are not street legal. Just saying.

Something doesn't need to be street legal when the most logical uses of that hoverbike are sports and derping around in big properties.

And to be detrimental to sales, they would have to assume people want to drive this in roads and build enough units accordingly. Somehow I don't think they would ever produce more than they could think it would sell.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
ElPatron said:
Kargathia said:
Karts are not street legal. Just saying.

Something doesn't need to be street legal when the most logical uses of that hoverbike are sports and derping around in big properties.

And to be detrimental to sales, they would have to assume people want to drive this in roads and build enough units accordingly. Somehow I don't think they would ever produce more than they could think it would sell.
The most logical application of this is not sports, but the access of road-less areas. Deserts, swamps, and mountains come to mind.

Also: it being street legal would significantly adjust their sales projections. When it being street legal means it will certainly sell more units, then the lack of legality is, in fact, detrimental.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, now we just need plasma repeaters and we've got everything we need to make my dream car.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110709141520/callofduty/images/f/f2/Halo_Ghost.png

Draxz

May 2, 2012
erttheking said:
Ok, now we just need plasma repeaters and we've got everything we need to make my dream car.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110709141520/callofduty/images/f/f2/Halo_Ghost.png
Hah! I was just thinking "I gotta buy one of these!"

poiumty said:
Did anyone else instantly think of Black Ops 2 after he read this news artlcle.
And yes... Yes, I did.

[Someone quote me please?]
SPEAKING of which, do you need a license to hover one of those things? I failed my drivers test 3 times this year. Bloody sheep, if I had heli's instead of wheals, I'd just shave them, not kill them!

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
The real problam is ITS ALMOST 2015! Where are the Hoverboards? we better have them in 2015 or I will go mad

OT: Sell a manned version we all want it

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
I haven't seen anything about the flight time, if it has a decent amount of time it can remain airborne, it could really be useful in cities.

put it on the market, remove the limitations and I would buy one in a heart beat.

foo757

Feb 25, 2012
So, they have one of the most easily marketable things possible, have it hovering high enough that hitting someone is damn near impossible(although i can see a fan like that flinging someone like a ragdoll), fuel efficient enough for a drone version to even be considered, moderately fast, and designed to be easy for someone to control... and they want to make it exclusively a drone vehicle. Beyond the obvious logic gap there, can anyone think of any unmanned use that doesn't end in "terrorist sticks metal rod into drone fan, $1 million lost"?

GrrWolfie

Aug 29, 2008
Old technology, that thing is heavy and slow.

For the real deal you'll actually be able to buy you want to check out the Malloy Hoverbike.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
*focusing on drones*
DAMMIT THE DRONES ALWAYS GET THE COOL STUFF!
Seriously I would totally buy one of those, and I hope they become the norm in my lifetime.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Veldie said:
The real problam is ITS ALMOST 2015! Where are the Hoverboards? we better have them in 2015 or I will go mad

OT: Sell a manned version we all want it
Don't forgot auto-lace shoes, and it is rumored they would actually do that for the 2015 edition of the replica, when they released a version without auto-lace last year.

We also still missing Cold Fusion for the Mr. Fusion. =p

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
so, they come up with a more accessible steering system, and then they put it to use on unmanned drones? does that even make sense?

"i've found a solution for world hunger! let's use it to start our own series of eating competitions."

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
OK, so I'm going to be a buzz kill here say that this hardly seems safe. If people could actually buy this thing it would be a disaster. Brakes on a vehicle that barely have friction wouldn't work well and people would be stupid enough to think they could break the same way you can with a car or a bike or any other popular land vehicle.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
ElPatron said:

Vault Citizen said:
Ralen-Sharr said:

Somethingfake said:
Why so serious? It may sound like I'm trolling but that is the best way to say I was just joking around, maybe I should have put a lol or a :p

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
That is awesome! I can't wait to see it more refined by others and perhaps someone finding a way to bring it into every day life