Real Life Super Mario Bros. Question Block Spits Actual Coins

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Real Life Super Mario Bros. Question Block Spits Actual Coins

Low on funds? Just put on a helmet and find one of these Super Mario Bros. question mark blocks in the real world.

The question mark blocks in Super Mario Bros. [http://www.amazon.com/New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii-Nintendo/dp/B002BRZ9G0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301161715&sr=8-2] are weird. You just smash them with your head, and money or other strange objects magically appear. They could never exist in real life, right? Wrong.

An inventor has created an actual Super Mario Bros. question mark block that works exactly like the one in the game. The one that spits out coins, anyway.

The block is a lot more complicated than you might think. It involves all sorts of springs, levers, servo motors, circuit boards, and an MP3 player. I'm pretty sure Mario doesn't know how to solder, so the blocks found in the Mushroom Kingdom probably just work through some kind of strange magic.

"Brunoip" of Instructables has put together step-by-step instructions [http://www.instructables.com/id/Coin-block/] on the website that show you how to build your own, complete with graphics to put on the sides. The only thing it doesn't do is float in the air. Now if he could just make one that unleashes that wonderful, invincibility-awarding star, or at least the Tanooki suit.

Source: Instructables [http://www.instructables.com/id/Coin-block/]

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
You just smash them with your head, and money or other strange objects magically appear.

Everything you ever knew is wrong.
O.T. I need that for my house!

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
ultimateownage said:
Tom Goldman said:
You just smash them with your head, and money or other strange objects magically appear.

no...

...NO...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
ultimateownage said:
no...

...NO...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
It's okay Tom, it's okay! We... we all made the same mistake at some point... you're not alone, man. You're not alone.

I can imagine setting up a Haunted House (Mario Bros. style) for kids at Halloween, and have these sort of things set up for them to find. Not to mention candy, of course.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
ultimateownage said:
Tom Goldman said:

Wait.... what?!?!?!

It can't be!!

That's IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Apr 28, 2008
Now that, that is something I want. Will it shatter and send coins everywhere if I throw it as someone?

ultimateownage said:
Tom Goldman said:

But...
I...
How...
Can't be...

Deegamah

Apr 21, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
How do the coins pop out of the top without a opening to pop out of?
It's a bit hard to see, but there's a slit on the top of the box around 0:15 seconds in.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i may believe it if there was a hole on the top for the coin to come out of but it looks as though there's a hand slightly off screen that drops a coin.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
PureChaos said:
i may believe it if there was a hole on the top for the coin to come out of but it looks as though there's a hand slightly off screen that drops a coin.
The whole is clearly seen at 15 seconds

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Baneat said:
PureChaos said:
i've watched that section a few times and i can't see it

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
PureChaos said:
Baneat said:
PureChaos said:
http://img198.imageshack.us/i/coiny.png/

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
ultimateownage said:
Tom Goldman said:

NO! What have you done!? My world view has been shatterd!

ARGH!

OT: That is so awesome! If I had the time I would set up a lot of them in my house.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Baneat said:
PureChaos said:
Baneat said:
PureChaos said:

http://img198.imageshack.us/i/coiny.png/
THERE IT IS! that's pretty cool now :)

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
That's awesome, now if we could make one that spits out mushrooms... never mind that isn't such a good idea.