Realistic Pokemon and Digimon will Weird You Out

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
Realistic Pokemon and Digimon will Weird You Out

DeviantArt's Lindsey Wakefield [http://lindseywart.deviantart.com/] has done the unthinkable. She's taken everyone's favorite, adorable monsters and turned them into nightmare fodder with her realistic depictions of Digimon and Pokemon. I mean, sure, some of these pieces are cute and very reminiscent of what I remember seeing on my TV/handheld game consoles years ago, but some of these are downright frightening.

Check the gallery below for a few favorite examples of Wakefield's incredible, frightening talent, and view all of her work on Wakefield's DeviantArt page [http://lindseywart.deviantart.com].

[gallery=3953]

Her most recent piece features Chibomon and Zururmon, but in all images Wakefield does a good job of mixing sweet with scary to produce overall beautiful, albeit off-putting, renditions of these beloved monsters. There are some givens because, of course, Seadramon and Garurumon are meant to strike fear into the hearts of men and other digital monsters alike. But then you've got the bench hitters like little Tsunomon, who looks just about ready to use his mighty unicorn-blade to slice you open, and those devilish eyes certainly aren't helping squash any of my concerns about his intentions.

Let's not forget the Pokemon either. Pikachu, with those puffy cheeks and that menacing stare, looks as though he's enjoying a palate cleanser after chewing through all of your important wires and destroying your prized possessions. And then there was Doduo, who I think might be the most terrifying of all. Ostriches are already horrifying in the real world with their aggressive tendencies and beady eyes, so a two-headed ostrich-esque monster with giant talons and enormous beaks is an obvious fright.

Hat's off to you, Lindsey Wakefield. I'll just pull those covers up over my head tonight.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/realistic-digimon-are-mildly-disturbing-1693295633]

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well, Tsunomon's still pretty cute. :3

Except for looking a bit like a severed head of a cute animal. <.<
Also, if not for the extra head and no wings, I'd think that Doduo was just a regular bird.

Good stuff. :)

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Doduo looks quite alright to me. But the weird thing about Pikachu is just how friggin' broad its face is. Compare it to the cartoon version; look where the red "cheeks" are in relation to the mouth in the two pictures. If it looked more like a yellow hamster, it wouldn't be that strange at all.

Maybe it's because it is currently eating, though; hamsters can really puff out their cheeks then, too. That could explain it.

I won't speak to the Digimon because I never cared about those nor know any of them.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Imp Emissary said:
Well, Tsunomon's still pretty cute. :3

Except for looking a bit like a severed head of a cute animal. <.<
Must have been Koromon that got to him.

Take a look at Spyro

The description says "based on the original" but the design reminds me more of the Skylanders version.

Edit: Arcanine looks amazing.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
I really love Digimon and Pokemon but imaging them realistically would be very nightmare fuel. Thanks for damaging my childhood memories :(
( at least the pikachu looked very cute tho)

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Duduo is actually pretty cool.

They're all.. so, soo pretty...

captcha: crime of passion. Or against childhood, either works.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Look at what she appears to have created from a soft-shell turtle study. This is nuts:

http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/252/d/2/kappa_by_twodd-d7ym39f.jpg

Absolutely a fantastic artist. Can't wait to see her portfolio grow.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
All of them except pikachu actually look really cool and like I'd imagine them looking in a real world context. The pikachu just looks diseased.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
It's fantastic art, but I can't help but be okay with this. Weird? Probably. But I imagine seeing these types of design in monster hunter for some reason.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It's that time of the year I guess. Feels like there's one of these for every Disney Princesses As topic.

Shodan1980

Mar 29, 2010
I wish Digimon was still a thing. Always preferred the Digimon World games to the Pokemon titles. Ah well.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Pikachu was the only one that was really a little too weird... Otherwise I kinda liked them all.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I feel cheated, I wasn't weirded out at all.

nomaner said:
Shodan1980 said:
I wish Digimon was still a thing.
3 words: Digimon Adventures Tri. You're welcome.
What's it being shown on? I'm going to guess one of the Disney channels.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Nightmare fodder? Not really. Incredibly awesome? Most definitely. Most of them especially Garurumon and Seadramon look like they could have come straight out of a Monster Hunter game.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
so what i got from this is that pokemons are really weird and digimons look really cool. i already knew that.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Nothing wrong with that Doduo, even looks like I might hop onto its back and just let him/her run :D
Cool art, more coming?