Really, really, really odd movies movie lovers should see

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Long story short, I was reminded recently of 2016 "Swiss Army Man"
One of the most original, odd and touching movies I've ever seen.

Would love to know of your recomendations for really odd and awesome movies.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I saw a German movie about 20 years ago called “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” that has parts I still remember vividly. I doubt it’s gonna be as Arthouse as most suggestions here because at its heart it’s a pretty straight forward black comedy. Two guys in terminal hospice care get shitfaced in the hospital kitchen and decide to go on a bucket list trip. If you’ve seen one movie with that plot you’ve probably seen this one too.

Reactions: gorfias

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I can think of a few. "Bon Cop Bad Cop" available on U.S. Netflix right now for lovers of the buddy cop genre. The mismatched pair this time, a Montreal francophone detective has to team up with an anglophone detective from Toronto. Its Canadian Lethal Weapon, but much funnier. Bonus if you are bilingual and/or fond of ice hockey. Just don't bother with the sequel, lightning did not strike twice.

Also Canadian and odd, "Pontypool." Made basically at the height of the recent zombie movie craze, it stands alone as the strangest zombie outbreak ever depicted on film. Have you ever said a word so many times it starts to sound strange, even alien somehow... after "Pontypool" you will always be unsettled by that feeling. Especially if you are alone, because... who were you talking to? Be sure to stick around for a post credits scene. It makes a movie that didn't make much sense, make much less sense somehow.

And a personal favorite, "Bubba Ho-Tep." The director of Phantasm with a script adapted by Joe R. Lansdale from his own short story of the same name, Bubba Ho-Tep sees a geriatric (and very much alive) Elvis Aaron Presley (played by Bruce Campbell) team up with (an also very much alive... and black) John Fitzgerald Kennedy (played by the late Ossie Davis) facing off against a mummy. That's right, JFK and Elvis defend a west Texas nursing home from an Egyptian mummy. I went in expecting "so bad its good." My expectations were very much off... its just good. In the face of its own goofy premise, it is a brilliant story very well told. Its funny, suspenseful, and at times sad and touching.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Sorry to Bother You

Killer Sofa?

A Town Called Panic

Perhaps 'Predestination' too, purely for where that decides to go. Not confident the trailer would do it justice though.

There's definitely more, but is early and am feel no good.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Waking Life. Saw it in my youth, and haven't had anyone to share it with since, but it's always stood out to me as less a film, and more a discussion not privy to my opinions or input. Probably comes off as a bit art house-y, and that critique isn't off base.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Scanner Darkly from 2006 by Richard Linklater. It stars Iron Man, John Wick and Carnage... I mean, Robert Downey Jr, Keanu Reeves and Woody Harrelson. It's a rotoscoped "5 minutes into the future" sci-fi paranoia thriller that's horrinfyingly topical 15 years later with its themes of drug addiction, surveillance state, the war on drugs and corporate power. You could release it today and not even be able to tell when it's from. And it's based on a story originally from the fucking 70s! It's also got an Alex Jones cameo. Yes, you read that right.

End of Evangelion might be an odd choice to put on here since it requires seeing an entire TV show to be able to grasp what's going on even barely (and that's as good as you'll be able to anyway). I don't even like the movie, it's a 5/10 at best, but its cinematic merits are undeniable. The technical aspects of it are top notch, there's some incredible visuals and setpieces, the voice acting is legit some of the greatest ever recoreded and to this day I can think of no other film quite like it. It's also interesting in the sense that I can think of no other film that's so much less than the sum of its parts. I like to view it as an unintentional comedy, because you can legit put the lines in some scenes in random order and have it make exactly as much sense.

I also know it's a very new release and super mainstream by being by James Wan, but I do genuinely think that Malignant is a gem for all lovers of cinema. It's got genuinely great camerawork and effects, it's got tons of references and homages to horror films of the past, it plays with and on conventions of horror movies, and it seems like Wan had total creative control over the project. It doesn't feel compromised in any way, and its vision feels completely untouched. I can't say what moves it into the category of "really, really, really odd" without spoiling the whole thing, so you'll just have to take my word for it. See it in theaters if you can, you won't regret it.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Waking Life. Saw it in my youth, and haven't had anyone to share it with since, but it's always stood out to me as less a film, and more a discussion not privy to my opinions or input. Probably comes off as a bit art house-y, and that critique isn't off base.

Oh shit, this film was first introduced to me by the teacher in a film/media studies course alongside Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I will always appreciate her for such introductions. Almost forgot about it tho till someone a couple of days ago played the Alex Jones scene. Vaguely remember it being the work of multiple artists painting over physically filmed material so each section maintains visually distinct styles from one another. The technique was adopted by A Scanner Darkly not long after too if I remember correctly.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Well, I've only really seen one weird movie, but it is a good one: Rubber; a movie about a sentient car tire with Carrie-esque powers, and it only gets crazier from there.

Reminds me a bit of

Scanner Darkly was a fantastic film, as was Waking Life.

Got to check out "Sorry to Bother You". Might be on Hulu.

"Bon Cop Bad Cop" available on U.S. Netflix too.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Survive Style 5+ is the first movie that comes to mind for something really odd that I also loved. The trailer is down below and apparently the whole movie is on Youtube and subbed but only in 360p as that was the 2nd result after the trailer when searching.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Survive Style 5+ is the first movie that comes to mind for something really odd that I also loved. The trailer is down below and apparently the whole movie is on Youtube and subbed but only in 360p as that was the 2nd result after the trailer when searching.

And the Juggernaut is in it!?!? I'm all over this! Thanks for the tip.

Really interesting! Very unusual viewing experience.

1634830303641.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

What on Earth is Vinnie Jones doing in this amalgamation of mad science and drugs?

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Ok, so not really 'odd', but it is unconventional and everyone should see it: The Big Lebowski. A laid (EDIT: back, I need to proofread better, Jesus)dude, in fact 'The Dude', lives a simple, straight forward life but what starts as a simple case of mistaken identity, just through The Dude's efforts to understand things, only spirals further into absurdity. Just a great film.

EDIT 2: switched around 'proofread better' because I am both a quick learner and good grammar I got

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Fine you wanna be avocado toast eating fucks, here's a couple you've never heard of that are odd and surprisingly good

Fair warning the Session 9 really..really depressing.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Fine you wanna be avocado toast eating fucks, here's a couple you've never heard of that are odd and surprisingly good
Not heard of them, reviewing thanks!

EDIT: Coney Island is on IMDBtv for free, will checkit out.

Watching @XsjadoBlayde Sorry to Bother You now on Hulu.

Hey! And what's wrong with avocado toast eaters?! About the only thing I can get my kid to eat! A slight exaggeration, but really, she likes it.

More mainstream trip movie:

Donnie Darko

Last edited: