Really, really, really odd movies movie lovers should see

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
To bad I don't think we'll ever get the sequel we deserve.

@XsjadoBlayde
Sorry to Bother You was far different than the straight forward SJW movie I thought it would be. Fits well into the gonzo film genre. Timely: the "eat the bugs, sleep in the pod stuff and never worry about anything ever again" is very relevant today.

@AnxietyProne Kind of reminds me of 1974 Dark Star by John Carpenter. Not in plot but in tone and style... almost a student film.

Whole movie

@Piscian I wouldn't call Went to Coney Island a really odd movie of the gonzo variety. It was different and surprisingly touching. A very human film I think a lot of us can relate to. John Cryer co-wrote. Directed by Richard Shenkmen who also did the very well reviewed "The Man from Earth" (2007) also on IMDB free for viewing, as well as the 2017 sequel. I'll be checking them out ASAP. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
To bad I don't think we'll ever get the sequel we deserve.
Without Lansdale it is a total non-starter. AMC did a fair good job adapting his Hap and Leonard books though. Too bad it got canceled after a couple of seasons.

Reactions: gorfias

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
A month ago I watched Hardware (1990). Someone recommended it to me after I said Blade Runner 2049 wasn't punk enough. Nice little B movie. Makes up for its shortcomings and low budget with vision and style. So obscure the Blu-ray doesn't even have closed captions. Not that good of a movie, but possibly worth your time.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Without Lansdale it is a total non-starter. AMC did a fair good job adapting his Hap and Leonard books though. Too bad it got canceled after a couple of seasons.
I'd not heard of Hap and Leonard before! 3 seasons on Netflix! Thanks for the tip!

Also, The guy has writing cred on Love, Death and Robots so, he is one to watch.

A month ago I watched Hardware (1990). Someone recommended it to me after I said Blade Runner 2049 wasn't punk enough. Nice little B movie. Makes up for its shortcomings and low budget with vision and style. So obscure the Blu-ray doesn't even have closed captions. Not that good of a movie, but possibly worth your time.

I'm old. I got to see this back in the day on "The Movie Channel" which, I don't think is a thing anymore! EDIT: Appears it was bought out by Showtime.
Terrific movie replacing a big budget with imagination.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezekiel

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'd not heard of Hap and Leonard before! 3 seasons on Netflix! Thanks for the tip!

Also, The guy has writing cred on Love, Death and Robots so, he is one to watch.
I discovered him with Bubba Ho-Tep, but found out I was already a fan. He wrote a really good run of Jonah Hex for DC comics, and a couple of the better episodes of Batman TAS. I since picked up his award winning novel "The Bottoms," which I described as a super dark story in the vein of "To Kill a Mockingbird." And the Hap and Leonard series, which I'll warn anyone... it isn't horror or sci-fi. Its more bonecruncher thriller drama like Ozark or Breaking Bad. But Lansdale, yes very worth keeping an eye on.

I just wonder how much better the Jonah Hex movie we got would have been if he had been screenwiter.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I swear, Peter Jackson had such a child-like enthusiasm with this film, I loved it.
Bad Taste is his first movie, and in my view perhaps a little too much of a rough and ready beginner's effort. Braindead, his second, is a comedy schlock horror masterpiece right up there with the best of the genre such as Evil Dead 2 (still, I believe, the record holder for the most fake blood used in a film).

After that, there's the Muppets-baiting Meet The Feebles, which is another comedy schlock horror. I cannot help but feel this oversteps and misses the mark somewhat by being too revolting and juvenile. Nevertheless, it's certainly one to watch for fans of that sort of thing. I think I read that Jackson was very frustrated with trying to find backing to make his movies, hence firstly the plot, and secondly that maybe too much of that frustration seeped in.

A month ago I watched Hardware (1990).
Low budget British Terminator clone based off a several page 2000AD comic book story. It does the job.

Oh how I loved the schlockier and more barking mad horror B-movies of the 1980s and early 90s.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Bad Taste is his first movie, and in my view perhaps a little too much of a rough and ready beginner's effort. Braindead, his second, is a comedy schlock horror masterpiece right up there with the best of the genre such as Evil Dead 2 (still, I believe, the record holder for the most fake blood used in a film).

After that, there's the Muppets-baiting Meet The Feebles, which is another comedy schlock horror. I cannot help but feel this oversteps and misses the mark somewhat by being too revolting and juvenile. Nevertheless, it's certainly one to watch for fans of that sort of thing. I think I read that Jackson was very frustrated with trying to find backing to make his movies, hence firstly the plot, and secondly that maybe too much of that frustration seeped in.
I love showing Meet the Feebles to to anyone who thought The Happytime Murders was out there and edgy.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Can't find a decent trailer for it, but if you want a strange, almost arthousey horror movie, look no further than Dario Argento's Suspiria.