Really thats ILLEGAL now online too?

Ripshot

Aug 5, 2008
Goth Skunk said:
I'm not up on my RTS jargon, cause I suck at human-vs-human RTS games... What's a 'cheese' strat?
cheesing is things like sneak attacking your enemies miners when they have an army you could have fought, or really early rushing

it's looked down upon because players would rather you demolish their units than their economy, since if they still have resources they can try to build more to fight again, instead of running units back to the base to defend

and really early rushes can be hard to deal with if you don't expect them

personally, I don't have a problem with cheese in mid or late game, since that can do wonders if you are up against a player who is better at micro or macro or just plain has a better unit structure

I don't like really early rushes, but when players want to win they can do what they can. Early game skirmishes are ok to me though

on topic, I can understand why people get made at grenade launchers, they have a large range and do a lot of damage, but people who complain about hard scoping should just be muted

although I would recommend a battlefield game, you need to use your head a little when when sniping, with gravity and bullet time

Draco Kaiser

Mar 20, 2009
Picking up a gun on Combat Arms. Apparently, I'm a noob if I use the gun from the person that I killed...12 year olds these days...

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I got called a ****** and such on MW2 when I planted the bomb in Sabotage to win. The guy shouting at me wanted to get the nuke and told me to "quit being a fag and play properly".

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Goth Skunk said:
I'm not up on my RTS jargon, cause I suck at human-vs-human RTS games... What's a 'cheese' strat?
Here is the explanation of the definition by Liquipedia:

Cheese is a pejorative expression which refers to a strategy that is highly unconventional and designed to take one's opponent by surprise. In general, cheese is nearly impossible to defeat if it is not scouted but easy to defeat if it is scouted.

If a build order classified as Cheese fails, the player using it will usually be far behind in the game. Finally, the usage of the term is often restricted to the victim of the "cheesy" strategy, to play down the opponent's achievement.

The usage of the term "cheese" has expanded to include most "all-in" strategies which involve a great sacrifice of economy, though some StarCraft communities use the term even more loosely to include mid-game strategies.
Source: Liquipedia [http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft/Cheese]

To put it in more simpler terms, a "cheesy" strategy is one that aims to defeat the opponent through highly unconventional play that relies on it's suprise factor to win. If the opponent discovers it, then there is a very good chance that he will be able to set up defences in time and cause the strategy to fail. If it does, this has a backfire effect on it's user, since it is near impossible for him to recover due to how much economy he sacrificed in order to be able to execute the strategy.

However, as in the case mentioned by geddydisciple, "cheese" is also used as a sort of insult. You see, a lot of low-level players rely on "cheesy" strategies to win beacuse they lack the skill to be able to defeat better players through regular means. So when someone thinks that they lost to an inferior player, they say that he won with "cheese". Of course, as with all insults, that kind of definition has flaws. Not only is the strategy in question not necessarilly a "cheesy" one (as is the case with geddydisciple), the player might not necessarilly be inferior even if he did use one. Infact, players will sometimes use such strategies to gain a quick victory or play mind games with their opponent even if they are of equal or superior skill (if you want, I can produce some videos as examples of this).

Anyway, keep this in mind. A "cheesy" strategy is just as legitimate as a regular one. It still takes a degree of skill to be able to pull it off and it is the opponent's own fault if he losses to such a strategy. However, relying purely on "cheesy" strategies does not help you much in advancing your skills. If you want to become a better player, you still need to rely mostly on conventional play.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I have noticed that people who whine the most tend to suck the most. Since they aren't having any fun, I guess you aren't supposed to either. That's why you have to talk shit back to them and/or keep doing what you are doing. Causing someone to rage quit because they are mentally and strategically inferior is one of the most satisfying feelings in gaming today. Sometimes it's fun being the asshole, but I see it as teaching stupid preteens/teenagers the ways of the real world.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
Some little punk yelled at me because I was dragging down the team in Team Slayer in Halo 3! Did I mention we in social playlists? Cussed that little ************ out. Don't fuck with the master *****!

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I normally yell at other people on TF2, but that's normally friendly banter since we're all in a big clan. i once yelled at a pyro for juggling me in the air, mainly because I couldn't do it...

I also get very angry when on our clan's CS:S GunGame server because A) people always come in and steal my kills and B) One guy always knife kills me when I've just got past a horrible weapon (kills make you level up, getting a new primary weapon, knife kills steal levels off of the victim)

EDIT Oh, and if I ever mention that my team sucks, I normally include myself ("Wow...we all suck...")

bubba145

Jan 4, 2010
well quick scoping is a skill not a requirment for being in game. i can't do it but i try sometimes but most of the times hard scoping is more accurate and is easier to kill your enemy.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
Amnestic said:
RyQ_TMC said:
I once got yelled at for "slacking" in WoW when I was completely new to DPS in instances - apparently, all the other guys have those talent trees and skill sequences hardwired into their genes.
Or, you know, we go out and research.

If you were max level, people expect you to have at least had a cursory glance or asked around as to what the best spec/rotations are. This is especially true when your group has evidently been to this instance a few times before and is interested in completing it as fast as possible for badges/drops/gold/whatever rather than being held back by a deadweight member.

Elitist? A bit.

However this is how it is. If you don't want to be told you're deadweight, you should probably be running with friends rather than PuGs.

Although they might ***** about you behind your back ololololololol.
This is one of few things that makes me like WoW slightly less. It would be nice if you could learn by doing, rather than having to take time out of the game checking WoWwiki for information about what talents to choose and move rotations. It kinda sucks some of the fun out of the game, given that there is little experimentation, just "get X ammount of hit rating, X ammount of armour penetration" etcetera.

On topic, I got bitched at for trying (and failing) to use a sniper rifle in CSS. I was bored of the other guns and fancied a challenge. Despite the abuse, totally worth it. Finally getting that perfect headshot on a moving target felt goooooood.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
I've had people bring their friends into a game because they were looking stupid and losing, all they did was call me gay, that?s not even an insult. The worst its even been is when this arsehole keep going on about how much we sucked and we were only wining because his connection sucked. Eventually we went into party chat and left but he followed us sent messages.
Total arseholes both, and all I was doing was camping, moving to a new location and camping.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Marik2 said:
You know, I would say that's cheaper than hard scoping. But what can I say, we're talking about MW2 on Xbox Live. You'll run into idiots.

I was called a glitcher in L4D2 because I was a boomer and standing next to a dropped gas tank. When you kill a boomer next to a gas tank, it explodes and sends the gas tank flying. It's part of the game and Valve even mentions it as a tactic.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
geddydisciple said:
I was playing SC2 (beta) last night. The match lasted about 20 minutes and towards the end we threw back their attack on our base with tons of stalkers and a bunch of thors with an army of broodlords and Colossus, then proceeded to counter attack. We then got bitched out by the other team for using a "cheese" strat...
... That's not cheese, that's what you do. Build units that compliment each other's weaknesses.

I can see how it would be frustrating though.

Also, it's Colossi, when it's plural :D

Tearopenthelives

May 15, 2008
I've heard a couple of people accusing me and a friend of hacking for, I suppose you'd call it tapping? (tapping fire button to save accuracy), on GTA IV free roam when we were owning with AK's over mid to long range.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Ripshot said:
Goth Skunk said:
cheesing is things like sneak attacking your enemies miners when they have an army you could have fought, or really early rushing
No, that's harassment.

era81

Jun 11, 2009
The last time I had a chance to play a hockey game online every goal I scored was apparently a "cheese" goal whatever the fuck that is.

MySoxSmell

Oct 28, 2009
well i hard scope all the time, but i scope aim and shoot fast enough so as they cant really *****, but yeah all the 12 year olds that reckon quickscoping is awesome , cant actually do it at all, cause its not the easiest thing to do...

ya know