'******'... Really?

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
RebellionXXI said:
Move on. There's quite a lot of yokels and tweens and ill-educated turd on ye old net. When it happens, you can slam the dipshit for being such a caveman, or you can focus on killing him.

"******." The battlecry of the redneck.

tirsden

Aug 11, 2009
Personally, I prefer "meatbag" if I'm going to bother insulting someone.

I would find it rather amusing to be called "fag" or "gay" in a game, but then I have a weird sense of humor (and am not straight). I suppose laughing or thanking a person for giving you such a label might put them in their place, no? I don't play public servers and the most interaction of similar type I've encountered is via voice chat in WoW with random groups, which I do rarely enough anyways.

Tell you what, running around as a Riddick clone with a female voice will throw your party off. Then watch the guys try to justify hitting on you when your toon is male. Fun times.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Kuchinawa212 said:
I always learned ****** as one that is meant to be burned. And found it bit offensive when I hear people use it
Technically it's not wrong.

Dictionary.com said:
fag⋅ot
  /ˈfægət/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fag-uht] Show IPA
?noun
1. a bundle of sticks, twigs, or branches bound together and used as fuel, a fascine, a torch, etc.
That's right. They're calling you a bundle of sticks, by at least one definition.

That's how far removed from reality some people are. I like to think of them as referring to me as a cigarette (something else which is burned).

Lazy Lemon

Mar 24, 2008
Nostalgia. For me anyway. I don't really use the word ****** because it's more of an American thing, but when I call people gay as an insult it's just because I find it funny how I (and most of my friends) used to use it an as insult when we where kids without really understanding why it was offensive. And I wouldn't use it in an actual argument, just banter with friends. If you have to resort to insults (even clever ones) in an argument then you've already lost.

DerekTheMagicDragun

Jul 15, 2009
It's not the meaning of the word... if ****** had no definition, and you heard it, would you think it's a compliment? No, it's a harsh sounding word, just like fuck.. it's very harsh sounding, even without the meaning.

Jezzy54

Oct 19, 2008
In high school, I was a rare guy unfortunate enough to have a contender for world's biggest douchebag hassling me for over three years straight. He seemed to think "******" was the greatest insult ever, because he used it all the friggin' time. When I used a more valid insult, like "dipshit", he acted like it was somehow the lamest thing I could have said. Ugh. Some people are friggin' stupid.

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Agema said:
PhiMed said:
Saying that when people each others "gay" or "******" doesn't mean they think the target of their of their childish ire is truly homosexual is completely irrelevant. The fact is, the insult's use is based on the fact that they think people will be annoyed and insulted to be called gay - in other words, they may think being gay is a bad thing, and/or they may think that other people think it's a bad thing.

This is reinforced by the fact that if words meaning "homosexual" are being regularly adopted as general-use pejoratives ("gay", "******"), it means there are prevailing homophobic attitudes in a community. Words adapted as insults are overwhelmingly things that are unpleasant (e.g. shit), crude (twat), subnormal (retard), contemptible and so on.

It's fair to say the user of such a word is not necessarily homophobic themselves - they may just be a bit dense, following a fashion without thinking, whatever. But you can't avoid the fact that somewhere at the core of these words' use is a negative societal attitude to homosexuality.
I disagree with your insinuation that the insult's use is entirely based on the fact that it refers to homosexuals. I heard the word used as an insult when I was a child, and I immediately recognized it as such. I didn't find out until years later what a homosexual was, much less that the word also referred to them.

As for your suggestion that all insults are based on unpleasant things, I have to ask why you find twats so unpleasant. I find them to be rather lovely, but I can still recognize the word as an insult when someone uses it to refer to a person.

Do you hate vaginas because you're sexist, or do you resent the use of the f word for more personal reasons that stem from your hatred for female genitalia?

Of course I'm joking, but I find your logic a bit flawed.

You claim all insults are words which refer to things which society views as unpleasant. Words which can refer to (among other things) homosexuals are sometimes used as insults. Therefore society views homosexuals as unpleasant and using these words is an exploitation of that prevailing notion.

In that same paragraph, however, you include a reference to female genitalia as something society views as overwhelmingly unpleasant. It's been my observation that most males usually spend a considerable portion of their time trying to get as close to a set of female genitalia as they possibly can.

jaammiie

Master of the Universe
Jun 3, 2007
geldonyetich said:
Don't put too much thought into what you heard said over a game. You can be sure the speaker didn't.
I didn't think anyone could be so correct. My word.

Lightnr

Jan 8, 2009
Listen, ******.. is whatever you want it to be. Just play your games and chill out. Can you imagine what kind of fucked up world we would be in if everyone nitpicked everything they take offense to? Well its kind of getting to be that way. Apart from words like the N-word which has deep, historical, and still very much alive tension that was used to actually suppress a whole race of people, and has torture behind it - words should be fair game.

I am a soccer player - when I moved to the US everyone called me a "fairy" or "pussy" because I played soccer when it wasn't as accepted as it is today. I wont go on a fucking rant looking for protection against these "mean people" and I certainly wont go around saying everyone must like soccer or else they are against soccer and therefore ignorant as well.

****** is the SAME thing. and NO its not even CLOSE to the same case as the N-word. Just because some people want to be mean to someone of a different sexuality - LET THEM - WHO CARES??? Just because some people are mean to you if you are gay does not give you the right to go around moaning and whining about it and looking for help, and it certainly does not give you the right to go around making people feel that if they do not agree with homosexuality then that AUTOMATICALLY implies that they are ignorant and mean and are the next Hitler.

The bottom line here is this:
From all this talk I hear ALLLL THE TIMEEEE about this - it just shows me that most homosexuals are very very insecure and very uncertain about themselves. Before you jump the gun and start proclaiming that it is those people who yell FAGOT in video games or where ever that make them insecure, think about this:
Everyone experiences meanness from time to time - some more than others. Not everyone has loving and accepting parents - yet some of those people become insecure twats and others learn to overcome. Overcoming meanness of any form is PART OF LIFE - because meanness is PART OF LIFE - whether you like it or not. CALLING on the world to sensor meanness is completely retarded (which is what I believe your rant was about op). That is like calling on the world to block the sun so people do not have to worry about sunburn.

Red|Zombie

Nov 8, 2009
As an interesting point, a fagot is a bunch of sticks.

However, I think you see it more often because a lot of heterosexual guys see homosexual males as being weaker, lesser men, un manly, or something along those lines, so the best insult they can give online is to suggest that you are less than manly, hence "******", or "homo" or "you gay ****".

I'm not going to claim to be the most open minded person in the world, but thats the first idea that came to my mind anyway. In Australia we are fairly well known for calling bad things "gay", you find out someone lost their job and you say "well thats gay", etc. It's not really a dig at homosexuals, but that is probably how it originated. I've been banned off a few forums for it, because it's simply habit.

spikeyjoey

Sep 9, 2009
to be fair- Im an atheist and I say "Oh god"

Im not in the least bit homophobic, but if a friend tells me hes stuck in lectures all day i might say "aw, gay"..

Id never use it as an insult.. but really its not much better..

Id say half the people using it aren't in a GAY = BAD way.. its probably more out of habit and/or having picked it up off other people..

EDIT: ninja'd :p

PhiMed

Nov 26, 2008
Xshu said:
I disagree. Calling someone a ****** is quite different from calling someone an asshole, a dickhead, or any other kind of insult.
No, it's not. The point of an insult is to anger or embarass someone. That's the idea. Underlying social currents don't matter. One person is saying something to another person, intending to cause anger. ****** is not a special, magical word.

Valkatron

Apr 22, 2009
I have seen that the "C" word has become flavour of the month, i can stand most other words and swear (probably a bit to much, thank you working in a factory for 2 years) yet i can not stand this word and i wish people would stop saying it.

It's not cock...

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
It's simply due to the word being ingrained in the population's subconscious. I mean, I myself use the word "fag" and "gay" in a negative context almost every day, and yet I am confident that I am one of the least homophobic people I know. It's just a word, there are more pressing things to complain about.

veryboringfact

Apr 2, 2009
Macksheath said:
Amnestic said:
I hate how popular this has become since Yahtzee started using it.

What's going on here?
You're paying idiots far too much attention.
This.

Also, what does du-jour mean? I never done French.
"of the day" as in " mot du jour - word of the day", as for the grammatical significance of the hyphon someone decided to stick in there, you've lost me.

As for the thread... yes we can all see you know lots of big words, and - even more noteworthy - how to use them. Now all you need is an actual thread topic and the marriage proposals will be flooding in.
In case you were wondering, i only clicked this thread to see why it wasn't closed yet...

pompom8volt

May 21, 2009
Woodsey said:
Kuliani said:
Woodsey said:
You really care that much to have written 5 paragraphs on it?
An example of not contributing to a thread. Do not do this, especially when the mods are actively watching the thread...
Well it does contribute my opinion on the matter.
And that, sir, was mod sass. May the mods haver mercy on your soul, and the hammer swing swift and true.

OT: I find it to simply be a homophobic manner of atacking some ones mascalinity... I also loved the way that Kuliani put it.

ButanicXpandA

Oct 20, 2009
You've got to ask yourself one thing.... Would those accused of calling people faggots over the Internet say it to you face to face if they could?

derelict

Oct 25, 2009
RebellionXXI said:
How does '******' trump any other insult in terms of emotional impact?

What's going on here?

Why has homosexuality become correlated with bad characteristics to the point where accusing someone of it can be used as a catchall insult?
First, as someone stated, you're paying far too much attention to idiots, secondly '******' isn't normally censored, so its used by the same crowd that takes letters out of their cursing so it still basically looks like 'the F word' etc. and they think its alright, or funny, which brings us back to the initial point of them being idiots, and well, only an idiot could perceive someone's sexual preference as bad.

Also you sound like you're trying to be Yahtzee. Stop that =P