Realtime Worlds Urges UK Gov to Invest In Games

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Realtime Worlds Urges UK Gov to Invest In Games

Realtime Worlds' Dave Jones is urging the UK government to invest more heavily in the games industry to maintain the region's status in the global market.

In an interview with BBC TV, David Jones of APB and Crackdown creators Realtime Worlds urged the UK government to invest in careers in the games industry in order to keep the region competitive in the global market. "Let's make sure we invest in careers," Jones said, to keep Britain at the "cutting edge" of the industry.

"Some of the biggest ever games in the world have come out of the UK," Jones said, probably in reference to titles like the Grand Theft Auto franchise, which he had a hand in creating.

The UK has pumped out some of the biggest and most novel games ever, but things might not stay that way if the industry keeps going the way it's going, Jones thinks, and he's not the first one to be concerned about his. Far more dramatic were the warnings [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87870-UK-Games-Industry-May-Fall-In-Global-Rankings] of the UK's National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts, which published a report last year arguing, partially, that the lack of government subsidies put the UK market at significant risk to fall in global standings not only in terms of sales, but innovation.

"The situation is worsened by international competition from countries, such as Canada, where developers receive government support," NESTA's report said. "Generous subsidies make it increasingly tempting for studios (particularly those owned by publishers) and developers to relocate there."

Let's hope Jones and the growing chorus of UK developers clamoring [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/may/18/computer-games-designers-tax-breaks] for more support from its government prove successful.

[Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/15/rtws-jones-invest-in-careers-to-keep-uk-at-cutting-edge/]]

bue519

Oct 3, 2007
Wow, Germany is going under in games development and it looks like UK might too. I guess we'll have to outsource out games to India.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
bue519 said:
Wow, Germany is going under in games development and it looks like UK might too. I guess we'll have to outsource out games to India.
Coming soon: Sim Kwik-E-Mart.

...that was tasteless and I apologize.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
We definately need to invest in games more. The games market is probably one of the most profitable and employs a lot of people. the government would be foolish to abandon it. Wait, the government is foolish. bye bye english videogames

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Gaming and game development are still seen as a very poor relation to TV and film in the UK.

Film in particular gets massive investment, and we still produce films that can compete on the world market.

The same is currently true to a certain extent in gaming, but the opportunity is there to really seize this great opportunity to create plenty of jobs and plenty of taxes!

The government is blind to such things though. Perhaps the games industry needs better lobbyists.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Freakout456 said:
maybe then could we get more UK games like...uh hmmmmmm GTA 4 Bigglesworth?
Naah, we'll just have Destroy All Colonials, where the Furon team up with the Brits to nuke the White House, just so they can rebuild it and nuke it again :)

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
The uk goverment really needs to give a toss about games, the main reason is that theres now too much politics on spending after it turns out half the entire goverment is corrupt with benfits,

whilst i would want the goverment to fund games more its the fact that they have too much dealing with ever so common media sh**Storms about anything thats slightly wrong,

British game making is dead, and i hope Gordon Brown or whoever takes over rolled preist

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
Well so far Scotland seems to be leading the way in europe with gaming. We've got the best games development university in the UK and most major gaming companies. (realtime worlds and ruffian games). Both just happen to be in the city next to me:D Almost got a job at Realtime worlds but I didn't have the admin experience for their HR department =(

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
jasoncyrus said:
Well so far Scotland seems to be leading the way in europe with gaming. We've got the best games development university in the UK and most major gaming companies. (realtime worlds and ruffian games). Both just happen to be in the city next to me:D Almost got a job at Realtime worlds but I didn't have the admin experience for their HR department =(
ah i take it your in dundee as well as me?

jasoncyrus

Sep 11, 2008
Rezfon said:
jasoncyrus said:
ah i take it your in dundee as well as me?
Close, Forfar =)