Rebecca Mayes Muses: Bionic Commando

RiffRaff

May 5, 2009
This is a bit of a back handed compliment: This is the first of your videos I actually liked.

WithHisHat

May 27, 2009
Once again, loved it (I feel like I just keep repeating myself.) I really like how you used the, "your no" line as a sort of chime later on. It just keeps getting better and better and I love it. Also, nice spidey costume.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
Is there any reason why you always look like you're going to cry most of the time in your clips?

Other than that I think I can see the musicale reviews catching on.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
the first one of your videos i like, maybe because it was about a game i actually had some interest in.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
It's funny how these things seem to keep turning into reviews of the video/music and nothing to do with the game she's describing in a form of musical review. Besides, it's like you're expecting fully produced platinum tracks to be released once a week with a perfect video, all done in the form of a video game review. Chill out people. She's doing an excellent job, her music is quite nice to listen to and I enjoy the shaky cam footage. Feels more indy and poetic.

I thought the review was spot on to the game. It was a pretty lame Bionic Commando spin off and it clearly ripped off the Spider Man swinging around without allowing for freeroaming (which made Spider Man swinging fun). I guess since they shut down the company this review could be considered a kick in the pants, but I'll assume Ms. Mayes was writing this before the announcement went up. Of course propping up a company who gave us such failure is not the way the induce quality gaming...

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Hehe, nice one, you're getting better. The other videos were especially fun thanks to the lyrics and the video itself, but this song is actually quite nice.

Silly_Billy

Jul 29, 2009
Well, unlike everyone else I think this is your worst video. Before I get flamed let me explain that this video is a A- and the song was a B. Your other videos were B+ with A- songs. I think you are very talented and the video was very good just not the best you've done.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Wandrecanada said:
It's funny how these things seem to keep turning into reviews of the video/music and nothing to do with the game she's describing in a form of musical review. Besides, it's like you're expecting fully produced platinum tracks to be released once a week with a perfect video, all done in the form of a video game review. Chill out people. She's doing an excellent job, her music is quite nice to listen to and I enjoy the shaky cam footage. Feels more indy and poetic.

I thought the review was spot on to the game. It was a pretty lame Bionic Commando spin off and it clearly ripped off the Spider Man swinging around without allowing for freeroaming (which made Spider Man swinging fun). I guess since they shut down the company this review could be considered a kick in the pants, but I'll assume Ms. Mayes was writing this before the announcement went up. Of course propping up a company who gave us such failure is not the way the induce quality gaming...
I think it could be more simply put: Holy crap that rocked! A great review in a catchy Pretty little tune with neat footage some of which included a really cool looking game (I never played either) and some of which including a rather attractive (get that drool rag away from me mother!) looking girl.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
My roomate was highly anticipating this game when it came out. Bought it day one. Played it for about two hours. Then downloaded the original off XBLA and has been playing that since.

As for the video, I think I liked the other two more, but even this one is really nice. And Mayes definitely has talent. Tons more than I ever will for sure. Great job!

Keep them coming! Turning into my second favorite video on the escapist.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
So to please audiance with other tastes we go to more "modern" style which is bit-tastic. It's still damn catchy and usage of ingame dialouqe was something new :D

I wanted to say "I'll take you even to B.C. if you want to" but that would fail if I were to fullfill my promise.

Dastardos

Jan 4, 2009
I still liked the Sims one more, but I think this one was better than the Ghostbusters one.

Good job though, keep 'em coming.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
slipknot4 said:
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel [ Nhym]
...I don't think I quite understand what you mean by that. Also, you mixed up where the URL should be and where Nhym's name should be. might want to fix that so you don't continually get a 404.

These are just getting better as time goes on. Liked the Techno feel. Anyway, yeah, Bionic Commando sucks hard.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
This is the best song so far. You made some good points about the game, tried a different style and included in-game dialogue. Nice work!

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
Wandrecanada said:

I completely agree with this, and as an addendum I actually really enjoy the songs musically, I keep remembering "The Sims 3" tune, very catchy. The videos are alright for what they are, it's all about the tune for me, and I think she was very much more of a reviewer here, which worked well. Haven't played BC so I'll have to take your word for it...

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm still not sold on this feature... I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to get from it, not so much comedy really and I can't take it as a serious song since its about a game. I'll still watch this one for now, see if it improves since I think you obviously can sing and make music.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
the only good thing that i could say is that the music improved.
i did not think it was funny but maybe i just didn't get the jokes.

i liked the first two more then i liked this one. and that is the good way to say that i think this one was bad

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
I had no idea what to expect when I clicked on the front page link.

What I saw was... interesting, I guess? I like that the Escapist is pushing in new, weird directions, that's for sure.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Wandrecanada said:
I agree, and some of the lyrics are good inspite of the fact she has only a week to come up with these songs.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Ah, these are getting better and better! The first one (ever) I wasn't too fond of. The following one, a little better. This one, a little better. This could grow to be something.

Cama Zots

Jul 10, 2009
I guess Yahtzee wasn't the only one who didn't like this game. I personally never played it, but I wikipediaed the ending. It truly was the most retarded thing that I have heard since I've called the Walrus Hotline.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Hmm I enjoyed the Guitaring in this.Could lead to a sound even I would enjoy.

Maybe you could turn them up,thrash them out and spit blood and throth in your next vid,something angry.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Just did a little background searching on Rebecca Mayes, and found some more vids pre-Escapist:
http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes_tv.htm

They are both about games, even though I had to google the second video. /blush

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
Yer - I'm gonna jump happily onto the 'WTF?!' bandwagon with this one. I didn't get into the previous efforts but decided I'd give it 3 goes to be sure. I could never put my finger on why I didn't like this series but I think I know now.

Basically, this series doesn't seem to know what it's for. Is it comedy? Well, it's not very funny so probably not. So it must be informative, right? Nope - it's pretty weak on that front too. It's just... a tune then? Pretty much!

I reckon the idea of gaming-based songs has massive potential... but simply having adequate music without humour or much more than a cursory knowledge of gaming surely can't cut it on a site based around in-depth gaming and decent comedy. What purpose are these vids supposed to serve?

Reeeeally not wanting to be sexist, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the praise directed at this series is purely because she's a she... and not dog-balls ugly.

Just my two cents...!

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
ThatJagoGuy said:
Yer - I'm gonna jump happily onto the 'WTF?!' bandwagon with this one. I didn't get into the previous efforts but decided I'd give it 3 goes to be sure. I could never put my finger on why I didn't like this series but I think I know now.

Basically, this series doesn't seem to know what it's for. Is it comedy? Well, it's not very funny so probably not. So it must be informative, right? Nope - it's pretty weak on that front too. It's just... a tune then? Pretty much!

I reckon the idea of gaming-based songs has massive potential... but simply having adequate music without humour or much more than a cursory knowledge of gaming surely can't cut it on a site based around in-depth gaming and decent comedy. What purpose are these vids supposed to serve?

Reeeeally not wanting to be sexist, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the praise directed at this series is purely because she's a she... and not dog-balls ugly.

Just my two cents...!
I'm not the guy that decides upon these things, but I'll wager my guess is that it's simply an interesting medium that has melded gaming with pop music. Pop music and gaming aren't normally associated with each other, so having successful, original songs produced that do work in combining the two is honestly brilliant.

I think a close simile would be metal music and chess.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Another good song. I don't know why, but I'm liking these. This is the best of your videos posted here.

I don't really think it's because she's a she, it's mostly--at least to me--because she has a very good voice and the songs are catchy.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Wandrecanada said:

I have to agree with this.

I think that's why I find myself going and watching these when they pop up.

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Wow that was excellent. I love being pleasantly surprised and I just was.

Thanks, very good.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Heh I actually clicked the vid preparing a comment about how repetitive your songs are. I was going to say that they are all the same "slow, soft" style and that gets boring pretty fast.

But in fact I was surprised. The song is different than the 2 other ones I know (on this site) and it reviews the game pretty darn good! If I could rate this song I'd rate it 10 out of 5!

Slyde

Apr 15, 2009
Not impressed at all...

Nice try but trying to pass of Apple's "Garageband" music loops that come with the software won't get you very far.

It made me laugh when you pretended to play instruments to it though - especially the guitar.

I made a similar song back in highschool by throwing random pre-recorded loops together, ironically I used the same loops too.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Considering the amount of time you seem to spend on each song (which I think people need to be reminded is not that long) you've done very well, with all your videos.

I honestly love watching them, sure sometimes the lyrics don't seem to match up, but that's honestly something I like about it.
You seem to bring something poetic to a medium that people once used to think was just hardcore remixes of already established music.

You've hoenstly redefined "Video Game music" for me.

I love your style, keep it up, this was also brilliant.
as are your others, and I honestly wait to see your videos up, because I like listening to your voice.

It mellows me out, which often music doesn't do.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I dont what makes me love her more, the fact that shes attractive or that she owns her own Spiderman costume :)

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
ThatJagoGuy said:
Actually, now that I think about it. That is why I like it. She is a very warm personality - a familiar face that I can relate to. She reminds me of my own friends and plays nice melodies. And on top of that, she keeps getting better with every video.

Generator

May 8, 2009
Was expecting a more mellow song like the last two, but instead I got something completely different. I'm really liking this series. It's updated often enough to keep me interested, but not to much to make it stale, and I can't wait to see you dabble in other genres.

The_Jock

Jan 20, 2009
Right, so I just got back in from a night out and i have to say I don't like it, didnt like the first one liked the ghostbusters song but this ones no.. I'll watch it agian tommowrow or today whatever it is now, maybe i'll like it then after drink has worn off. I'm not sure at all what to make of you.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
I just watched all three in succession. I'd seen them on the videos page for awhile and finally decided to check them out and was pleasantly surprised. Nice music, good subject matter and good videos.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
It's too bad so many people feel moved to trash this.

Personally, I'm going to repeat my appeal for some form of an .mp3 download link. But this time I have a new reason, not just "it'd be great to hear on iTunes."

This time, I want to high score it on Audiosurf. This one would be a fantastic Audiosurf song, I can feel it.

Also, loved the 80's retro. Definitely made the video.

Chester41585

Mar 22, 2009
Slyde said:
Not impressed at all... (etc.) ...Garage Band...
I made a similar song back in highschool by throwing random pre-recorded loops together, ironically I used the same loops too.

I'm surprised nobody else picked up on this.
Anyways, I just got a moderator warning for my earlier post. I'm sorry you're offended. I'm not sorry I offended you. I'm just tired of people giving these "omgwtfbbqone i love you pretty singing girl" reviews and commentary when the music is mediocre, the videos are hastily cut and cobbled together, and the lyrics are faint and distorted. I realize the videos are done in a week, but I've honestly seen better come out of a week.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Chester41585 said:
Anyways, I just got a moderator warning for my earlier post. I'm sorry you're offended. I'm not sorry I offended you. I'm just tired of people giving these "omgwtfbbqone i love you pretty singing girl" reviews and commentary when the music is mediocre, the videos are hastily cut and cobbled together, and the lyrics are faint and distorted. I realize the videos are done in a week, but I've honestly seen better come out of a week.
As with internet game based song videos, as with anything in life, you do know people have different opinions, right?

I'm not trying to attack your post here, I'm just trying to let you know that because you see it as hasty and mediocre, doesn't mean everyone else does. And if they do enjoy it, and you don't, there isn't really a problem, is there?

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I have followed the sites for a while, but haven't posted until now.

I just want to say that I thought this song was really good. On the first two, I found myself thinking that the videos were funny, and it was somewhat cool that someone sung about video games, but the songs weren't too great. I liked this one much better though, so good job.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
after someone that did play bionic commando explained why the video was funny,
I guess.....that if it was a little funny than it was good.
sorry about my comment earlier, but I was right, I just didn't get the jokes because i never played the game

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
ThatJagoGuy said:

Just my two cents...!
This song actually had a recognizable purpose as a musical review.

"You're no SpiderMan" "But you can't roam free." These lines are about the "web-slinging" like ability the main character has, but there's no form of free-roaming, so that essentially eliminates the purpose.

"Take me back to the eighties." The first Bionic Commando was much better, and all this new stuff makes the game more complicated (and worse) than it should be.

If you listen to the high-pitched and low-pitched in game dialogue, you can tell that she's making fun of the game for what it's become. For example: "That's people you're breathing."

I like Rebecca's work because she works with the genre of music I like while keeping it somewhat related to video games, not because of her face or gender (I don't even like women.)

Hijuice

Jun 26, 2009
Ehhh i clicked on this thinking 'ahh what the hell can't be bad right'. Verdict it's not great. You can sing no doubt just well... i guess i expect a laugh out of this sort of thing?

What about purepwnage? They make people wet themselves with laughter in their songs. Why? cause their jokes are taking the mic out of gamers themselves while doing it in the character of a gamer.

I guess this could work just needs heavy tunning first... First step would be to decide what it's trying to be a comedy? a review? or a game related song?

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
Kuliani said:
I think a close simile would be metal music and chess.
I think they're called Tool. :p

JugglerPanda said:
This song actually had a recognizable purpose as a musical review.

"You're no SpiderMan" "But you can't roam free." These lines are about the "web-slinging" like ability the main character has, but there's no form of free-roaming, so that essentially eliminates the purpose.

"Take me back to the eighties." The first Bionic Commando was much better, and all this new stuff makes the game more complicated (and worse) than it should be.

If you listen to the high-pitched and low-pitched in game dialogue, you can tell that she's making fun of the game for what it's become. For example: "That's people you're breathing."
Great, so we learned that BC is an 80's franchise with linear web-slinging. Also, that there is dialogue in the game. AH! Information overload! I could probably sum up that much info in a Haiku -

Can't swing where you like,
80's bionic man who,
Speaks like Mike Patton.

Voila! The fact that she preferred the 80's version is of no use to me as it states in her bio that she is primarily a retro-gamer. Bias much?

JugglerPanda said:
(I don't even like women.)
Sexist. >.<

Skarvig

Jul 13, 2009
Like a few people already said, this is actually the first song that I really liked.

CharlieOfNuts

Mar 31, 2009
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and this one is mine:

I had some doubts after seeing the first two videos, but this convinced me to stop watching them entirely.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
slipknot4 said:
That is an awful link you just stated everything wrong with gaming music
1. unoriginal
2. very little talent
3. repetitive
4. content is puerile

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
To me it sounds like she is speaking backwards, then playing that backwards so we have this.

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
Pseudonym2 said:
Is there any reason why you always look like you're going to cry most of the time in your clips?

Other than that I think I can see the musicale reviews catching on.
there is quite alot of rampart pouting at the camera.

but yeah good video :)

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
Slyde said:
Not impressed at all...
And that's ironic is it? You are Alanis Morissette, And I Claim My Five Pounds!

I'm sure Rebecca doesn't take the negative comments to heart. Personally I think it's great stuff. A very original and welcome take on game reviewing. Keep up the good work Ms Mayes!

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
Way too messy for my ear.. Might be overdoing it a tad.
Love the ghostbusters one though.
It's not bad, just, too much. :p "There's too many notes!"

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
murphy7801 said:
slipknot4 said:
1. unoriginal
2. very little talent
3. repetitive
4. content is puerile
1. It's a parody
2. More that muses
3. So is the Bionic commando song
4. It has something to do with the game, i have my suspects that Muses have never actually played the game in question.

Krabbenhuhn

Jul 28, 2009
I now watched it about 5-10 times since its release and I must say: I like it! And that despite I had troubles even watching it in the first place due to its predecessors.
Of course it ain't no musical masterpiece and I can understand some complaints on instrumentation (read: generic synthi-loops). But if it's a good output (which I would claim), then why bother on the input she used?

BTW, nice voice!

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
It is a nice idea with these songs. Not all of them are quite to my liking (and not my prefered genre of music) but it is a pleasant break in the daily life on the web.

Carry on with your musings Rebecca.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
I guess this is sort of a love-hate thing, because I... er... still don't get it/like it. I think in the first video's thread BabyTea hit the nail on the head: I don't know if this is supposed to be funny, poignant, mildly amusing, etc. In any case, I didn't like this any more than the others. I've watched all of them to see if they get any better (like Apocalypse Lane did), and I'm still waiting.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
I admit, the first time that I see each of her videos it makes me think its bad.

The second time I see the video I suddenly get it and think it's good.

i hope someone else can say it happens to them or I will feel really bad about myself

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I haven't played the game so I don't get the references, but it's a nice song anyway. I'm surprised at the amount of negative reaction, really - we seem to have established that it's not meant to be comedy, so anyone basing their opinion on the lack of humour is obviously coming into it with the wrong expectations. You can't complain that something's missing when it was never meant to be there in the first place. Maybe it's just me, but I'm quite content with them just for being good songs.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
I still can't believe the amount of internet rage fail going on in the comments. Armchair musicians abound and I think I detect the acrid scent of dissafected 90's teens too.

First of all, to those who don't know what Rebecca Mayes does or who she is; She is someone who made her name by creating interesting musical game reviews. It's not meant to be solely comedic nor is it a fan vid or some kind of machinima. It's simply a review. What makes it interesting is that it's done to an original piece of music written and performed by one person. That, my friends is what is so awesome. It's like Johnathan Coulton's 'Thing a Week' but instead of random topics they are game reviews. For those who don't know Mr. Coulton he did the Portal song.

Secondly, for the oddballs who keep calling her out on the synth and looping in this song. This is a song about a game spin off from an 80s franchise that quite often references the 80s in it's lyrics. Have you HEARD any music from the 80s? It was the AGE of synth! Let me break things down for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJv5qLsLYoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZEuzxM3_Uk

So to recap. Rebecca Muses is a musical video review that may have game references or funny scenes that is produced weekly. Her third musical review heavily references the 80s which is why she decided to use synth looping, in homage of 80s music. Everyone get all that? Great! Now lets talk about the actual content of her musical review!

PS: I'd like to again iterate that I enjoy the musical aspect as well as the accuracy of the review IMHO. All three reviews so far have spoken exactly to my experiences with the games.

johnnyjazz

Aug 15, 2009
This is the only one of your songs/videos i think wasent realy good. doh, i dint say it was bad =)

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
There is something I don't get.

how can she do all the work of writing a song and building proper music as well as making a review of the game making a video and adding jokes that are actually funny. in just two weeks?

Does she like have.... a lot of people helping her?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
With regards to the bit about the commando not being spiderman he has something better. Guns. Spider man rarely kills his enemies unlike the commando. Otherwise interesting song even though I missed the eighties by one year (born 1990). Ah well, there's still GTA Vice City for that.

Banana Phone Man

May 19, 2009
Another brilliant song. I was laughing a lot with the spider man costume. That song will be in my head for a while now.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
slipknot4 said:
Sadly, Rebecca Mayes has talent, while that was just shit.

I seem to be the opposite of everyone else here - the Sims 3 one is still my favourite, with this in second and Ghostbusters as the weakest, but it was still damn good. I'd love to see these one itunes or something. I especially like the idea of playing this one on Audiosurf.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Rebbeca Mayes, you are an incredible artist, you are talented, beautiful, and into games a very rare and refreshing mixture. I have really enjoyed every one of your videos, my only grievance is that they don't come out frequently enough. I was waiting for this one for a while. Adieu.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
So this video...

"you're no
you're no
you're no
spiderman"

Last vid...

"a hero
hero
hero
cause who you gonna call?"

vid before that

"I see you
I see you
I see you
sitting in your chair

you're doing nothing
you're doing nothing..."

I can't wait for next video to see what she repeats three times for the chorus next!

Note: Please don't mistake the exclamation mark on the last sentence as actual excitement, its more like sarcasm

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
So that's what Spiderman would look like with boobs. :p

Anyway, I liked this video. It was almost as good as the Sims one.

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
jboking said:
slipknot4 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel [ Nhym]
...I don't think I quite understand what you mean by that.
He means: "ARRRGH NEW THINGS MAKE ME ANGRY"

As for the song, heh, "You're no Spider-Man" <- exactly what I was thinking when I first saw gameplay footage of BC.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Meh. Didn't like the music, and lyrics... too pop/Britney for me. Especially the chorus.

But you are pretty.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
slipknot4 said:
murphy7801 said:
slipknot4 said:
1. unoriginal
2. very little talent
3. repetitive
4. content is puerile
1. It's a parody
2. More that muses
4. It has something to do with the game, i have my suspects that Muses have never actually played the game in question.
How can a bad cover be more original then some one writing there own song ?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
murphy7801 said:
slipknot4 said:
murphy7801 said:
slipknot4 said:
1. unoriginal
2. very little talent
3. repetitive
4. content is puerile
1. It's a parody
2. More that muses
How can a bad cover be more original then some one writing there own song ?
There own song? Where own song?

Like some people noticed, looping samples from a some program's demo isn't "writing their own song". I mean, she doesn't even seem to know how to play the guitar...

Banderbear

Apr 15, 2009
outcast_within said:
Still the level of look at me i'm pretty is too high. Especially the scene where you doll up yourself.
The 'dolling up' scene as you put it is a fairly obvious reference to the fact that Bionic Commando has gone out of it's way to try to pretty itself up when, in fact, the good old days of 2D bionic armed action were superior.

Abedeus said:
Like some people noticed, looping samples from a some program's demo isn't "writing their own song". I mean, she doesn't even seem to know how to play the guitar...
As already stated the synth loops are a reference to the old synth loops used in arcade games for example, I don't know, Bionic Commando. And she managed to write a song around those loops which does take talent to do without it all sounding disjointed. Also; a professional musician who owns at LEAST 2 guitars and a bass guitar probably knows how to play guitar, the other clue is the whole her playing guitar on the tracks. It's part of the one woman band thing she does.

Abedeus said:
Meh. Didn't like the music, and lyrics... too pop/Britney for me. Especially the chorus.
Damn I must have missed the Britney songs where she reviews video games...

I don't mean to seem like an ass about this and I understand that the songs aren't going to be to everyone's taste but if you don't like them nobody is making you watch them so stop complaining about how you don't like them! She obviously works damn hard to put out new songs & videos on a fairly regular basis and is obviously a talented musician even if it's not to your taste, the videos have a lot of depth to them as do the choices with regards the lyrics and the music. This series was never meant to be funny or else it'd be called something more along the lines of 'Rebecca Mayes Makes People Laugh' you want comedy watch Zero Punction, Doomsday Arcade or Apocalypse Lane. You want nice well thought out songs that are still relevant to video games then watch Rebbeca Mayes. At the end of the day nobody is making you watch the videos so why you feel you have to take time out to complain about how they aren't very good is beyond me and how people can claim she has no talent and is only successful because she's pretty is even further outside my comprehension.

/Rant.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Banderbear said:
I'm sorry I'm not a raving fan just because it's a girl.

edit: I just noticed you said she's "talented". I don't consider making some music using a demo version of software + faking playing the guitar a "talent". Rappers have more talent, if you look this way. Hell, even people mass-producing same techno "music" show more talent.

Banderbear

Apr 15, 2009
Abedeus said:
Think you missed the point of my post, I'm saying that everyone is welcome to dislike it and my problem is with people claiming that the ONLY reason people like it is because she's a girl.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

edit: I just noticed you said she's "talented". I don't consider making some music using a demo version of software + faking playing the guitar a "talent". Rappers have more talent, if you look this way. Hell, even people mass-producing same techno "music" show more talent.
Yes but who are you and why should we care weather or not you like the video? Why come into a comments section and post that you dislike this or that based on personal taste? Do you think it affects the musical tastes of others?

If you think you can do better then put up or shut up. Get your music/videos up on a website and post em up. Until then you're nothing to nobody and Rebecca Mayes is someone who was hired by Escapist to produce original songs as musical reviews. She's already so far out of your league you'd need a microwave telescope to see her.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Taerdin said:
Are you my thought double? Seriously, no offence to her, but she is AWFUL at writing lyrics, has a really bad voice for singing and in the case of videos, does her best to avoid going in depth into a game which could actually make these videos bearable...

Oh, and replace ! with (!), that means sarcasm...

-Edit-
Wandrecanada said:
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

Yes but who are you and why should we care weather or not you like the video? Why come into a comments section and post that you dislike this or that based on personal taste? Do you think it affects the musical tastes of others?

If you think you can do better then put up or shut up. Get your music/videos up on a website and post em up. Until then you're nothing to nobody and Rebecca Mayes is someone who was hired by Escapist to produce original songs as musical reviews. She's already so far out of your league you'd need a microwave telescope to see her.
So he is not entitled to an opinion that differs from yours basically... You know, I don't think he was claiming to be famous or talented!

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Wandrecanada said:
Because it's a comments section. Not a positive comments section, it's a section for all comments. This means people are entitled to post their opinions on the subject.

Really, you don't have to care about other people's opinions - it's the internet, you're bound to find people who post things you disagree with, but it doesn't mean you have to get angry. Abedeus didn't enjoy it, so accept that. He's not trying to convice anyone that the video wasn't good and that everyone should stop watching it, he's just posting his opinion.

Now, I'm sorry if you don't like his opinion, or mine, since mine's partially negative, but there's no call to attack him, or anyone, based on their opinions. A calm debate, yes, but not an attack. Okay? :)

On Topic: Personally, I didn't enjoy this. I get the whole synth music idea, and the lyrics representing the game and whatnot, but it's just not my kind of music, I suppose.

Her singing wasn't bad, but it was often overpowered by the music, and, as a result, the song just wasn't catchy, or memorable, which are, in my opinion, two things that can make a song great. Ah well, never mind.

Still, I reckon I'll keep my ear out for anything else that shows up, since maybe she'll produce something that'll catch me at some point in the future, so good luck to her with that.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Wandrecanada said:
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

No, you shut up. I don't have to do anything to have an opinion. I really don't. I don't have to be a movie producer and a comic book writer to say that the last two X-Men movies sucked like hell and killed Deadpool's character, or that Spiderman 3 wasn't even half as good as the first two movies.

Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to criticize our sport teams, politicians, ANYONE!

Also, you seem to not understand what's the difference between "comment" or "opinion" and "praise" or "compliment".

lokiroki

Aug 16, 2009
Phenomenal work, Mayes. Again.

It's amazing how much I pretty much loathe the majority of the comments made to Mayes since the initial Sims video. Pretty much as a community, I would rate the members here at The Escapist to "middling-to-low" openess. And it's not because some people don't like it; it's that when they share their opinion it's coated in a snarky sense of entitlement that someone's creative work is worthless because it wasn't done in a style that they like.

Maybe it's just that I'm a grown-up and wear big boy pants, but at some point adults become capable to judge media based off what it took to create it, not how closely it fits their tastes.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
lokiroki said:
And it's not because some people don't like it; it's that when they share their opinion it's coated in a snarky sense of entitlement that someone's creative work is worthless because it wasn't done in a style that they like.
Welcome to the Escapist! :D

Not everyone here is like that, but I'll be damned if that isn't most of these people :)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
lokiroki said:

It's amazing how much I pretty much loathe the majority of the comments made to Mayes since the initial Sims video. Pretty much as a community, I would rate the members here at The Escapist to "middling-to-low" openess. And it's not because some people don't like it; it's that when they share their opinion it's coated in a snarky sense of entitlement that someone's creative work is worthless because it wasn't done in a style that they like.

Maybe it's just that I'm a grown-up and wear big boy pants, but at some point adults become capable to judge media based off what it took to create it, not how closely it fits their tastes.
Hahaha.

So wait, we can't judge based on our tastes? THEN BASED ON WHAT? On your opinions? On opinions of celebrities, movie critics? Or should we roll the dice and see if we like it or not?

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
Wandrecanada said:
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

No, you shut up. I don't have to do anything to have an opinion. I really don't. I don't have to be a movie producer and a comic book writer to say that the last two X-Men movies sucked like hell and killed Deadpool's character, or that Spiderman 3 wasn't even half as good as the first two movies.

Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to criticize our sport teams, politicians, ANYONE!

Also, you seem to not understand what's the difference between "comment" or "opinion" and "praise" or "compliment".
I'm sorry that you and Demonguy both don't understand the meaning behind hate speech and why you're not in the right to do so. Critics will cite reasons behind their opinions to back up what they are saying. That differentiates them from hate speechers and internet rage jockeys like your post turned into (as evidenced by the bold text above).

Saying she's pretending to play a guitar and that she can't for no reason other than you desire to degrade the performance is a perfect example of hate speech. Yes I think it should be censored and yes I don't believe you have any right to come into a comments section and spew. Comments and opinions are fine to have, but if you are going to use this platform to propagate hate speech then I have every right to call you out.

Just to be clear;

"I just noticed you said she's "talented". I don't consider making some music using a demo version of software + faking playing the guitar a "talent". Rappers have more talent, if you look this way. Hell, even people mass-producing same techno "music" show more talent."

That is hate speech. There is no argument or evidence to support it. You cannot rebut hate speech because there is nothing presented to argue against. The only viable other side is total opposition. It's not a critique because there is no evidence to support the claim. To attempt to argue with it gives weight to it's validity. I refuse to call hate anything other than what it is and I refuse to allow people to think that their hatred is a valid opinion.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hate speech? Criticism is now called this way?

How about this argument - I didn't like it, I don't like techno or songs from 80's. Also, her songs are repetitive - like someone noticed, all refrains are basically in 95% the same, only words change - repeat them 3 times, then one line, repeat 3 times, then one line.

I don't have desire to degrade anyone. Also, I don't think I hate her or her "art". Isn't that required for "hate" speech?

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
Abedeus said:
Wandrecanada said:
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

And the point of his post just flew over your head.

You're critiquing MUSIC. You don't like her music, that's fine. The people who enjoy it don't care about what you have to say though, because you can't persuade people to like different music.

Your criticisms give no basis for improvement, since she is remaining fairly faithful to the pop genre. Since there's no basis for improvement, you're just giving her hate speech.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
JugglerPanda said:
Abedeus said:
Wandrecanada said:
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

And the point of his post just flew over your head.

You're critiquing MUSIC. You don't like her music, that's fine. The people who enjoy it don't care about what you have to say though, because you can't persuade people to like different music.

Your criticisms give no basis for improvement, since she is remaining fairly faithful to the pop genre. Since there's no basis for improvement, you're just giving her hate speech.
Okay, okay, I'm sorry. You know, it's just that it's been 20 years since Poland regained freedom of speech, I forgot it might be uncomfortable for some people to hear other people out.

Wanna basis for improvement? Don't use repeating chorus lines (3x words, 1 line, 3x words and so on), more about the game, don't stretch out the chorus so it all seems extremely empty, change the melody once in a while so it doesn't sound like it's just a loop. Okay, I get it, it's "on purpose" like this. But it isn't really a positive thing.

Also, don't use melody from demo versions of software. Someone might by an accident find out that fact.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
How about this argument - I didn't like it, I don't like techno or songs from 80's. Also, her songs are repetitive - like someone noticed, all refrains are basically in 95% the same, only words change - repeat them 3 times, then one line, repeat 3 times, then one line.
That is a critical response yes. If you'd written that then we wouldn't have had an issue in the first place. Just because you aren't intending to degrade a person does not mean what you say is not degrading to them. And no you do not have to actually hate something to write hate speech about it. It's the form not the content.

Now the thing about a critique is that it contains arguments that can be rebutted. That's how you have a proper debate.

ie: She did the 80s music specifically because the franchise was originally made in the 80s so you're allowed not to like the style but she had obvious reasons for the review. She repeats the refrained "You're no Spiderman" a whole 2 times in the song with one at the end playing under other lyrics. There are many more than one line between refrains. Many many pop music icons have heavy lyric refrains. For example the current Billboard #1 is Black Eyed Peas "I Got A Feeling" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_2rrxONlLo.

So we've established you don't like the 80's and techno genres and that pop music has repetitive lyrics. No need to say she can't play an instrument or that she has terrible talent to track mixing.

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
RiffRaff said:
This is a bit of a back handed compliment: This is the first of your videos I actually liked.
It might be mean, but I actually agree with this comment x.x

Chartic

Nov 21, 2008
Pretty nice, I like that someone is making some out there making original songs about games. It gives me hope that others will start doing it.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
ThatJagoGuy said:

Just my two cents...!
I cant agree more... all 3 were a let down to me... i tried to like it, but it just didnt happen

Edit: i just went onto http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes_tv.htm and her video dont shoot them is quite well written and is a good song, so why cant we get video's from her like that on the escapist?

polygon

Jan 28, 2009
The amount of criticism this is getting compared to startups of the other series on Escapist is amusing to me. It's obviously not the worst thing on this site (Unforgotten Realms still holds that crown), so it's got to be because of one of two reasons (or both):

A) It's not going for annoying predictable humor. What is this? There's no punchline! How do I react?! This must suck!
B) She's a girl. GIRLS CAN'T MAKE INTERNET VIDEOS.

That's not to say I like it; the lyrics have too many segments where they flow awkwardly and the whole "musical review" thing doesn't suit my fancy (the music is good, though). But there's far worse on this site.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
polygon said:
The amount of criticism this is getting compared to startups of the other series on Escapist is amusing to me. It's obviously not the worst thing on this site (Unforgotten Realms still holds that crown), so it's got to be because of one of two reasons (or both):

A) It's not going for annoying predictable humor. What is this? There's no punchline! How do I react?! This must suck!

That's not to say I like it; the lyrics have too many segments where they flow awkwardly and the whole "musical review" thing doesn't suit my fancy (the music is good, though). But there's far worse on this site.
Yeah, UR is the worst. That's why a lot of people watched it before it got on the Escapist. Hell, I think a whole season was on the official site before they transfered here.

Also, you obviously didn't see how crappy the first few Apocalypse Lane episodes were. But they are funny now, maybe because they listened to people and stopped using fart jokes.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I liked this one. The lyrics repeat a bit too much in some parts but I suppose that mimics the repetitive gameplay. This series is looking promising but there's nothing outstanding so far in my opinion.

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
I liked this one, not as much as the ghostbusters but I think that is because the Ghostbusters are awesome (first film anyway). Anyway, keep up the magical songs and I will keep listening.

Cortheya

Jan 10, 2009
slipknot4 said:
Nyhm FOR THE WIN!

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Abedeus said:
polygon said:

Yeah, UR is the worst. That's why a lot of people watched it before it got on the Escapist. Hell, I think a whole season was on the official site before they transfered here.

Also, you obviously didn't see how crappy the first few Apocalypse Lane episodes were. But they are funny now, maybe because they listened to people and stopped using fart jokes.
Please stop complaining, it is very unnecessary and irritating.
If you didn't like the video, I get it.

But stop telling people how much you hate

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
kozmo said:
Abedeus said:
polygon said:

You know there was little complaining... I mean, NO complaining in the post you quoted?

Sarcasm in the first part, compliments in the second.

polygon

Jan 28, 2009
Abedeus said:

I love it when people try to defend things with the "OH BUT IT'S POPULAR SO IT MUST BE GOOD" argument. It's like they're invalidating their own position for me.
In what little I watched of Apocalypse Lane I concluded that it was much better than UR because, if nothing else, they put at least a little effort into the visuals.

I should make a form letter listing common "my webcomic/show/game/etc. isn't that bad" defense arguments and why they are inherently flawed.

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
Its awesome, but its not as good as your Ghostbusters song IMO. Still top notch work, keep it up!

lokiroki

Aug 16, 2009
Abedeus said:
lokiroki said:

Hahaha.

So wait, we can't judge based on our tastes? THEN BASED ON WHAT? On your opinions? On opinions of celebrities, movie critics? Or should we roll the dice and see if we like it or not?
Based on the level of creative talent that was required to create the work.

There's plenty of music that I don't like, yet still recognize requires both talent to create and is pretty good for folks that like that sort of thing. If I were to have a chance to say something to an artist, any artist really, that creates good work that I don't enjoy, I'd probably say a lot of things, but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't feel the burning need to say something disrespectful or pretend that my lack of enjoyment makes their work somehow less awesome or relevant.

I'm not really here to argue it though. This is something that you either understand, you will eventually learn, or you will never give a s---. If you're the middle, it'll dawn on you some day. If you're the latter, there's nothing you could say that will make us agree, and I'd just as soon avoid you.

Not saying that you're the latter per se... I'm just sayin'.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Abedeus said:
kozmo said:
Abedeus said:
polygon said:

You know there was little complaining... I mean, NO complaining in the post you quoted?

no you didn't get it, you said that apocalypse lane improved now that they listened to what people said and stopped using fart jokes. i thought that by that you meant to say that Rebecca doesn't listen to what people says and uses fart jokes which to my opinion is complaining

but never mind that, I probably just didn't understand what you really meant.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
kozmo said:
Abedeus said:
kozmo said:
Abedeus said:
polygon said:

no you didn't get it, you said that apocalypse lane improved now that they listened to what people said and stopped using fart jokes. i thought that by that you meant to say that Rebecca doesn't listen to what people says and uses fart jokes which to my opinion is complaining

Wow, don't think so much, it's not working out.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Abedeus said:
kozmo said:
Abedeus said:
kozmo said:
Abedeus said:
polygon said:

Wow, don't think so much, it's not working out.
Look, I said I am sorry, it is just that there were so many comments that you complained and complained, so I just thought you were complaining here.

If you don't like the video, that's fine with me

But why did you keep on complaining so much?

I was wrong about you complaining in that comment, you were not complaining about this video, you were complaining about the first episodes of apocalypse lane.

And that is different, right?

Nemorov

May 20, 2009
I think you're on the right track. This could develop into something quite interesting.

I thought this song was incredibly catchy.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I'd find this more interesting if it wasn't dance music, any genre other than this would fit better in my opinion. It is something new though in any case and I will keep watching.

Ambitious Sloth

Aug 1, 2009
Like most other I'm not quite sure what exactly your work is whether it some sort of review or a way of making jokes about the game. Their not always funny or to the point though so I think that a really general name for this would video game based/inspired music.

In that light this song is actually really good! It's a different style for your other two but that's fine. It seemed you were trying go for a more retro style which you reached but wasn't quite complete. Most of the elements were there but there a feeling of emptiness in it that stayed there even though it is a multilayer song.

outcast_within

Apr 24, 2009
I got on probation for this?
All i said was it lacks content, is not funny, the musics not great and i think the focus is too much on showing how pretty she is.
I had different expectations while watching her vid's and now i have changed them and i'll give them another chance.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Dammit, the beginning, from about 00:07 to about 00:15 is extremely similar to another piece of music, I think it's from the early 90's, anyone else get that feeling? It's driving me mad not remembering the piece. I'm currently going through all music Daft Punk ever made to see if it's some of theirs that this reminds me of.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Mertruve said:
OLOLOL DOWNTOWN STRINGS LIBRARY
Please if your going to post, post something legible, and intelligent. On topic I enjoyed this video, and I hope her next videos can improve on these ones. It could very well become something I watch regularly

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Well done, again I really liked it. I have to admit that when I watched the first video, I was a little worried that it wouldn't really fit together as a good medium, but happily I was proven wrong. I can honestly say as well that this series is the first one on the Escapist where I've gone and rewatched videos, simply because I liked them enough to merit that. I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea but I really do like these videos, especially the fact that you seem to change the style each time so it's not becoming generic or boring. And that's a good thing, Rebecca. Keep it up and I reckon most of the people who've expressed dislike will eventually warm, because this series has a lot of potential. In the meantime, just keep up the good work :)

BustaNinja

May 20, 2008
Those are Garage Band loops. The apple program? Yeah...

But thats not to say its not well done. I kinda liked it.

noolli

Feb 5, 2008
Is there going to be an album with the current stuff and more stuff that will be available within the near future?

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Hmmm, no video this week.

If you people scared the lovely Rebecca Mayes away with your negativity then I will hunt you all down.
Yeah I got a crush on the girl with the guitar.
And I've also been listening to the Sims song constantly and I was looking forward to this being a regular feature.

ruthie

Aug 24, 2009
If The Escapist puts these songs up for download I will love you forever :D

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
This is one of those things that gets better with time and experience.

Besides, we Escapists are harsh critics, so I'd say beyond all that, she's doing good. But I'm shocked that she didn't take her shoes off at any chances this time. Or did I miss it?

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
This one is my favourite this far. It's got such a catchy tune to it. I find myself putting this one on in the background often while I'm racing or even working.

I hope these will get released on a CD sometime in the future. Looking forward to it.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
Better than Felicia Day. If they aren't already your videos should be made available for download on Xbox Live or PSN.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Good choice to appear on Gameswipe, your Madworld video intrigued me enough to visit your other videos.

THis and Wolverine are definitely your best, hopefully you'll realise your strengths and play to them.

Versago

May 28, 2009
I'm re-watching the vid again :p
Great choice of music, lyrics were true and non-repetative, review was solid, and the whole thing was a genuine pleasure to listen to.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
nova18 said:
I dont what makes me love her more, the fact that shes attractive or that she owns her own Spiderman costume :)
Yeah, plus she can sing, extremely well. and so what if she used Garage Band, it's still her voice...

And her lyrics...

I realize that you people who doesn't like her must have seen one of the videos before deciding if you like her. but still, just stop watching if you don't like her!

Quoth

Aug 28, 2008
This is just begging to be remixed by Proteus. Great track and told me enough about the game for me never to bother with it.