Rebecca Mayes Muses: Bionic Commando

Clemenstation

Dec 9, 2008
I had no idea what to expect when I clicked on the front page link.

What I saw was... interesting, I guess? I like that the Escapist is pushing in new, weird directions, that's for sure.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Wandrecanada said:
It's funny how these things seem to keep turning into reviews of the video/music and nothing to do with the game she's describing in a form of musical review. Besides, it's like you're expecting fully produced platinum tracks to be released once a week with a perfect video, all done in the form of a video game review. Chill out people. She's doing an excellent job, her music is quite nice to listen to and I enjoy the shaky cam footage. Feels more indy and poetic.
I agree, and some of the lyrics are good inspite of the fact she has only a week to come up with these songs.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
Ah, these are getting better and better! The first one (ever) I wasn't too fond of. The following one, a little better. This one, a little better. This could grow to be something.

Cama Zots

Jul 10, 2009
I guess Yahtzee wasn't the only one who didn't like this game. I personally never played it, but I wikipediaed the ending. It truly was the most retarded thing that I have heard since I've called the Walrus Hotline.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Hmm I enjoyed the Guitaring in this.Could lead to a sound even I would enjoy.

Maybe you could turn them up,thrash them out and spit blood and throth in your next vid,something angry.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Just did a little background searching on Rebecca Mayes, and found some more vids pre-Escapist:
http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes_tv.htm

They are both about games, even though I had to google the second video. /blush

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
Yer - I'm gonna jump happily onto the 'WTF?!' bandwagon with this one. I didn't get into the previous efforts but decided I'd give it 3 goes to be sure. I could never put my finger on why I didn't like this series but I think I know now.

Basically, this series doesn't seem to know what it's for. Is it comedy? Well, it's not very funny so probably not. So it must be informative, right? Nope - it's pretty weak on that front too. It's just... a tune then? Pretty much!

I reckon the idea of gaming-based songs has massive potential... but simply having adequate music without humour or much more than a cursory knowledge of gaming surely can't cut it on a site based around in-depth gaming and decent comedy. What purpose are these vids supposed to serve?

Reeeeally not wanting to be sexist, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the praise directed at this series is purely because she's a she... and not dog-balls ugly.

Just my two cents...!

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
ThatJagoGuy said:
Yer - I'm gonna jump happily onto the 'WTF?!' bandwagon with this one. I didn't get into the previous efforts but decided I'd give it 3 goes to be sure. I could never put my finger on why I didn't like this series but I think I know now.

Basically, this series doesn't seem to know what it's for. Is it comedy? Well, it's not very funny so probably not. So it must be informative, right? Nope - it's pretty weak on that front too. It's just... a tune then? Pretty much!

I reckon the idea of gaming-based songs has massive potential... but simply having adequate music without humour or much more than a cursory knowledge of gaming surely can't cut it on a site based around in-depth gaming and decent comedy. What purpose are these vids supposed to serve?

Reeeeally not wanting to be sexist, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the praise directed at this series is purely because she's a she... and not dog-balls ugly.

Just my two cents...!
I'm not the guy that decides upon these things, but I'll wager my guess is that it's simply an interesting medium that has melded gaming with pop music. Pop music and gaming aren't normally associated with each other, so having successful, original songs produced that do work in combining the two is honestly brilliant.

I think a close simile would be metal music and chess.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Another good song. I don't know why, but I'm liking these. This is the best of your videos posted here.

I don't really think it's because she's a she, it's mostly--at least to me--because she has a very good voice and the songs are catchy.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Wandrecanada said:
It's funny how these things seem to keep turning into reviews of the video/music and nothing to do with the game she's describing in a form of musical review. Besides, it's like you're expecting fully produced platinum tracks to be released once a week with a perfect video, all done in the form of a video game review. Chill out people. She's doing an excellent job, her music is quite nice to listen to and I enjoy the shaky cam footage. Feels more indy and poetic.

I thought the review was spot on to the game. It was a pretty lame Bionic Commando spin off and it clearly ripped off the Spider Man swinging around without allowing for freeroaming (which made Spider Man swinging fun). I guess since they shut down the company this review could be considered a kick in the pants, but I'll assume Ms. Mayes was writing this before the announcement went up. Of course propping up a company who gave us such failure is not the way the induce quality gaming...
I have to agree with this.

I think that's why I find myself going and watching these when they pop up.

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
Heh I actually clicked the vid preparing a comment about how repetitive your songs are. I was going to say that they are all the same "slow, soft" style and that gets boring pretty fast.

But in fact I was surprised. The song is different than the 2 other ones I know (on this site) and it reviews the game pretty darn good! If I could rate this song I'd rate it 10 out of 5!

Slyde

Apr 15, 2009
Not impressed at all...

Nice try but trying to pass of Apple's "Garageband" music loops that come with the software won't get you very far.

It made me laugh when you pretended to play instruments to it though - especially the guitar.

I made a similar song back in highschool by throwing random pre-recorded loops together, ironically I used the same loops too.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Considering the amount of time you seem to spend on each song (which I think people need to be reminded is not that long) you've done very well, with all your videos.

I honestly love watching them, sure sometimes the lyrics don't seem to match up, but that's honestly something I like about it.
You seem to bring something poetic to a medium that people once used to think was just hardcore remixes of already established music.

You've hoenstly redefined "Video Game music" for me.

I love your style, keep it up, this was also brilliant.
as are your others, and I honestly wait to see your videos up, because I like listening to your voice.

It mellows me out, which often music doesn't do.