Rebecca Mayes Muses: Bionic Commando

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I dont what makes me love her more, the fact that shes attractive or that she owns her own Spiderman costume :)

bakonslayer

Apr 15, 2009
ThatJagoGuy said:
Reeeeally not wanting to be sexist, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the praise directed at this series is purely because she's a she... and not dog-balls ugly.
Actually, now that I think about it. That is why I like it. She is a very warm personality - a familiar face that I can relate to. She reminds me of my own friends and plays nice melodies. And on top of that, she keeps getting better with every video.

Generator

May 8, 2009
Was expecting a more mellow song like the last two, but instead I got something completely different. I'm really liking this series. It's updated often enough to keep me interested, but not to much to make it stale, and I can't wait to see you dabble in other genres.

The_Jock

Jan 20, 2009
Right, so I just got back in from a night out and i have to say I don't like it, didnt like the first one liked the ghostbusters song but this ones no.. I'll watch it agian tommowrow or today whatever it is now, maybe i'll like it then after drink has worn off. I'm not sure at all what to make of you.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
I just watched all three in succession. I'd seen them on the videos page for awhile and finally decided to check them out and was pleasantly surprised. Nice music, good subject matter and good videos.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
It's too bad so many people feel moved to trash this.

Personally, I'm going to repeat my appeal for some form of an .mp3 download link. But this time I have a new reason, not just "it'd be great to hear on iTunes."

This time, I want to high score it on Audiosurf. This one would be a fantastic Audiosurf song, I can feel it.

Also, loved the 80's retro. Definitely made the video.

Chester41585

Mar 22, 2009
Slyde said:
Not impressed at all... (etc.) ...Garage Band...
I made a similar song back in highschool by throwing random pre-recorded loops together, ironically I used the same loops too.

I'm surprised nobody else picked up on this.
Anyways, I just got a moderator warning for my earlier post. I'm sorry you're offended. I'm not sorry I offended you. I'm just tired of people giving these "omgwtfbbqone i love you pretty singing girl" reviews and commentary when the music is mediocre, the videos are hastily cut and cobbled together, and the lyrics are faint and distorted. I realize the videos are done in a week, but I've honestly seen better come out of a week.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Chester41585 said:
Anyways, I just got a moderator warning for my earlier post. I'm sorry you're offended. I'm not sorry I offended you. I'm just tired of people giving these "omgwtfbbqone i love you pretty singing girl" reviews and commentary when the music is mediocre, the videos are hastily cut and cobbled together, and the lyrics are faint and distorted. I realize the videos are done in a week, but I've honestly seen better come out of a week.
As with internet game based song videos, as with anything in life, you do know people have different opinions, right?

I'm not trying to attack your post here, I'm just trying to let you know that because you see it as hasty and mediocre, doesn't mean everyone else does. And if they do enjoy it, and you don't, there isn't really a problem, is there?

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I have followed the sites for a while, but haven't posted until now.

I just want to say that I thought this song was really good. On the first two, I found myself thinking that the videos were funny, and it was somewhat cool that someone sung about video games, but the songs weren't too great. I liked this one much better though, so good job.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
after someone that did play bionic commando explained why the video was funny,
I guess.....that if it was a little funny than it was good.
sorry about my comment earlier, but I was right, I just didn't get the jokes because i never played the game

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
ThatJagoGuy said:
Yer - I'm gonna jump happily onto the 'WTF?!' bandwagon with this one. I didn't get into the previous efforts but decided I'd give it 3 goes to be sure. I could never put my finger on why I didn't like this series but I think I know now.

Basically, this series doesn't seem to know what it's for. Is it comedy? Well, it's not very funny so probably not. So it must be informative, right? Nope - it's pretty weak on that front too. It's just... a tune then? Pretty much!

I reckon the idea of gaming-based songs has massive potential... but simply having adequate music without humour or much more than a cursory knowledge of gaming surely can't cut it on a site based around in-depth gaming and decent comedy. What purpose are these vids supposed to serve?

Reeeeally not wanting to be sexist, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the praise directed at this series is purely because she's a she... and not dog-balls ugly.

Just my two cents...!
This song actually had a recognizable purpose as a musical review.

"You're no SpiderMan" "But you can't roam free." These lines are about the "web-slinging" like ability the main character has, but there's no form of free-roaming, so that essentially eliminates the purpose.

"Take me back to the eighties." The first Bionic Commando was much better, and all this new stuff makes the game more complicated (and worse) than it should be.

If you listen to the high-pitched and low-pitched in game dialogue, you can tell that she's making fun of the game for what it's become. For example: "That's people you're breathing."

I like Rebecca's work because she works with the genre of music I like while keeping it somewhat related to video games, not because of her face or gender (I don't even like women.)

Hijuice

Jun 26, 2009
Ehhh i clicked on this thinking 'ahh what the hell can't be bad right'. Verdict it's not great. You can sing no doubt just well... i guess i expect a laugh out of this sort of thing?

What about purepwnage? They make people wet themselves with laughter in their songs. Why? cause their jokes are taking the mic out of gamers themselves while doing it in the character of a gamer.

I guess this could work just needs heavy tunning first... First step would be to decide what it's trying to be a comedy? a review? or a game related song?

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
Kuliani said:
I think a close simile would be metal music and chess.
I think they're called Tool. :p

JugglerPanda said:
This song actually had a recognizable purpose as a musical review.

"You're no SpiderMan" "But you can't roam free." These lines are about the "web-slinging" like ability the main character has, but there's no form of free-roaming, so that essentially eliminates the purpose.

"Take me back to the eighties." The first Bionic Commando was much better, and all this new stuff makes the game more complicated (and worse) than it should be.

If you listen to the high-pitched and low-pitched in game dialogue, you can tell that she's making fun of the game for what it's become. For example: "That's people you're breathing."
Great, so we learned that BC is an 80's franchise with linear web-slinging. Also, that there is dialogue in the game. AH! Information overload! I could probably sum up that much info in a Haiku -

Can't swing where you like,
80's bionic man who,
Speaks like Mike Patton.

Voila! The fact that she preferred the 80's version is of no use to me as it states in her bio that she is primarily a retro-gamer. Bias much?

JugglerPanda said:
(I don't even like women.)
Sexist. >.<

Skarvig

Jul 13, 2009
Like a few people already said, this is actually the first song that I really liked.

CharlieOfNuts

Mar 31, 2009
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and this one is mine:

I had some doubts after seeing the first two videos, but this convinced me to stop watching them entirely.

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
slipknot4 said:
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel
That is an awful link you just stated everything wrong with gaming music
1. unoriginal
2. very little talent
3. repetitive
4. content is puerile

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
To me it sounds like she is speaking backwards, then playing that backwards so we have this.