Rebecca Mayes Muses: Bionic Commando

Jupsto

Feb 8, 2008
Pseudonym2 said:
Is there any reason why you always look like you're going to cry most of the time in your clips?

Other than that I think I can see the musicale reviews catching on.
there is quite alot of rampart pouting at the camera.

but yeah good video :)

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
Slyde said:
Not impressed at all...
I made a similar song back in highschool by throwing random pre-recorded loops together, ironically I used the same loops too.
And that's ironic is it? You are Alanis Morissette, And I Claim My Five Pounds!

I'm sure Rebecca doesn't take the negative comments to heart. Personally I think it's great stuff. A very original and welcome take on game reviewing. Keep up the good work Ms Mayes!

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
Way too messy for my ear.. Might be overdoing it a tad.
Love the ghostbusters one though.
It's not bad, just, too much. :p "There's too many notes!"

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
murphy7801 said:
slipknot4 said:
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel
That is an awful link you just stated everything wrong with gaming music
1. unoriginal
2. very little talent
3. repetitive
4. content is puerile
1. It's a parody
2. More that muses
3. So is the Bionic commando song
4. It has something to do with the game, i have my suspects that Muses have never actually played the game in question.

Krabbenhuhn

Jul 28, 2009
I now watched it about 5-10 times since its release and I must say: I like it! And that despite I had troubles even watching it in the first place due to its predecessors.
Of course it ain't no musical masterpiece and I can understand some complaints on instrumentation (read: generic synthi-loops). But if it's a good output (which I would claim), then why bother on the input she used?

BTW, nice voice!

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
It is a nice idea with these songs. Not all of them are quite to my liking (and not my prefered genre of music) but it is a pleasant break in the daily life on the web.

Carry on with your musings Rebecca.

mjhhiv

Jun 22, 2008
I guess this is sort of a love-hate thing, because I... er... still don't get it/like it. I think in the first video's thread BabyTea hit the nail on the head: I don't know if this is supposed to be funny, poignant, mildly amusing, etc. In any case, I didn't like this any more than the others. I've watched all of them to see if they get any better (like Apocalypse Lane did), and I'm still waiting.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
I admit, the first time that I see each of her videos it makes me think its bad.

The second time I see the video I suddenly get it and think it's good.

i hope someone else can say it happens to them or I will feel really bad about myself

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I haven't played the game so I don't get the references, but it's a nice song anyway. I'm surprised at the amount of negative reaction, really - we seem to have established that it's not meant to be comedy, so anyone basing their opinion on the lack of humour is obviously coming into it with the wrong expectations. You can't complain that something's missing when it was never meant to be there in the first place. Maybe it's just me, but I'm quite content with them just for being good songs.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
I still can't believe the amount of internet rage fail going on in the comments. Armchair musicians abound and I think I detect the acrid scent of dissafected 90's teens too.

First of all, to those who don't know what Rebecca Mayes does or who she is; She is someone who made her name by creating interesting musical game reviews. It's not meant to be solely comedic nor is it a fan vid or some kind of machinima. It's simply a review. What makes it interesting is that it's done to an original piece of music written and performed by one person. That, my friends is what is so awesome. It's like Johnathan Coulton's 'Thing a Week' but instead of random topics they are game reviews. For those who don't know Mr. Coulton he did the Portal song.

Secondly, for the oddballs who keep calling her out on the synth and looping in this song. This is a song about a game spin off from an 80s franchise that quite often references the 80s in it's lyrics. Have you HEARD any music from the 80s? It was the AGE of synth! Let me break things down for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJv5qLsLYoo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZEuzxM3_Uk

So to recap. Rebecca Muses is a musical video review that may have game references or funny scenes that is produced weekly. Her third musical review heavily references the 80s which is why she decided to use synth looping, in homage of 80s music. Everyone get all that? Great! Now lets talk about the actual content of her musical review!

PS: I'd like to again iterate that I enjoy the musical aspect as well as the accuracy of the review IMHO. All three reviews so far have spoken exactly to my experiences with the games.

johnnyjazz

Aug 15, 2009
This is the only one of your songs/videos i think wasent realy good. doh, i dint say it was bad =)

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
There is something I don't get.

how can she do all the work of writing a song and building proper music as well as making a review of the game making a video and adding jokes that are actually funny. in just two weeks?

Does she like have.... a lot of people helping her?

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
With regards to the bit about the commando not being spiderman he has something better. Guns. Spider man rarely kills his enemies unlike the commando. Otherwise interesting song even though I missed the eighties by one year (born 1990). Ah well, there's still GTA Vice City for that.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
Another brilliant song. I was laughing a lot with the spider man costume. That song will be in my head for a while now.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
slipknot4 said:
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel
Sadly, Rebecca Mayes has talent, while that was just shit.

I seem to be the opposite of everyone else here - the Sims 3 one is still my favourite, with this in second and Ghostbusters as the weakest, but it was still damn good. I'd love to see these one itunes or something. I especially like the idea of playing this one on Audiosurf.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Rebbeca Mayes, you are an incredible artist, you are talented, beautiful, and into games a very rare and refreshing mixture. I have really enjoyed every one of your videos, my only grievance is that they don't come out frequently enough. I was waiting for this one for a while. Adieu.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
So this video...

"you're no
you're no
you're no
spiderman"

Last vid...

"a hero
hero
hero
cause who you gonna call?"

vid before that

"I see you
I see you
I see you
sitting in your chair

you're doing nothing
you're doing nothing..."

I can't wait for next video to see what she repeats three times for the chorus next!

Note: Please don't mistake the exclamation mark on the last sentence as actual excitement, its more like sarcasm

kawligia

Feb 24, 2009
So that's what Spiderman would look like with boobs. :p

Anyway, I liked this video. It was almost as good as the Sims one.

Grand_Marquis

Feb 9, 2009
jboking said:
slipknot4 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel [ Nhym]
...I don't think I quite understand what you mean by that.
He means: "ARRRGH NEW THINGS MAKE ME ANGRY"

As for the song, heh, "You're no Spider-Man" <- exactly what I was thinking when I first saw gameplay footage of BC.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Meh. Didn't like the music, and lyrics... too pop/Britney for me. Especially the chorus.

But you are pretty.