Rebecca Mayes Muses: Bionic Commando

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
slipknot4 said:
murphy7801 said:
slipknot4 said:
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel
That is an awful link you just stated everything wrong with gaming music
1. unoriginal
2. very little talent
3. repetitive
4. content is puerile
1. It's a parody
2. More that muses
3. So is the Bionic commando song
4. It has something to do with the game, i have my suspects that Muses have never actually played the game in question.
How can a bad cover be more original then some one writing there own song ?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
murphy7801 said:
slipknot4 said:
murphy7801 said:
slipknot4 said:
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel
That is an awful link you just stated everything wrong with gaming music
1. unoriginal
2. very little talent
3. repetitive
4. content is puerile
1. It's a parody
2. More that muses
3. So is the Bionic commando song
4. It has something to do with the game, i have my suspects that Muses have never actually played the game in question.
How can a bad cover be more original then some one writing there own song ?
There own song? Where own song?

Like some people noticed, looping samples from a some program's demo isn't "writing their own song". I mean, she doesn't even seem to know how to play the guitar...

Banderbear

Apr 15, 2009
outcast_within said:
Still the level of look at me i'm pretty is too high. Especially the scene where you doll up yourself.
The 'dolling up' scene as you put it is a fairly obvious reference to the fact that Bionic Commando has gone out of it's way to try to pretty itself up when, in fact, the good old days of 2D bionic armed action were superior.

Abedeus said:
Like some people noticed, looping samples from a some program's demo isn't "writing their own song". I mean, she doesn't even seem to know how to play the guitar...
As already stated the synth loops are a reference to the old synth loops used in arcade games for example, I don't know, Bionic Commando. And she managed to write a song around those loops which does take talent to do without it all sounding disjointed. Also; a professional musician who owns at LEAST 2 guitars and a bass guitar probably knows how to play guitar, the other clue is the whole her playing guitar on the tracks. It's part of the one woman band thing she does.

Abedeus said:
Meh. Didn't like the music, and lyrics... too pop/Britney for me. Especially the chorus.
Damn I must have missed the Britney songs where she reviews video games...

I don't mean to seem like an ass about this and I understand that the songs aren't going to be to everyone's taste but if you don't like them nobody is making you watch them so stop complaining about how you don't like them! She obviously works damn hard to put out new songs & videos on a fairly regular basis and is obviously a talented musician even if it's not to your taste, the videos have a lot of depth to them as do the choices with regards the lyrics and the music. This series was never meant to be funny or else it'd be called something more along the lines of 'Rebecca Mayes Makes People Laugh' you want comedy watch Zero Punction, Doomsday Arcade or Apocalypse Lane. You want nice well thought out songs that are still relevant to video games then watch Rebbeca Mayes. At the end of the day nobody is making you watch the videos so why you feel you have to take time out to complain about how they aren't very good is beyond me and how people can claim she has no talent and is only successful because she's pretty is even further outside my comprehension.

/Rant.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Banderbear said:
I'm sorry I'm not a raving fan just because it's a girl.

edit: I just noticed you said she's "talented". I don't consider making some music using a demo version of software + faking playing the guitar a "talent". Rappers have more talent, if you look this way. Hell, even people mass-producing same techno "music" show more talent.

Banderbear

Apr 15, 2009
Abedeus said:
Think you missed the point of my post, I'm saying that everyone is welcome to dislike it and my problem is with people claiming that the ONLY reason people like it is because she's a girl.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

edit: I just noticed you said she's "talented". I don't consider making some music using a demo version of software + faking playing the guitar a "talent". Rappers have more talent, if you look this way. Hell, even people mass-producing same techno "music" show more talent.
Yes but who are you and why should we care weather or not you like the video? Why come into a comments section and post that you dislike this or that based on personal taste? Do you think it affects the musical tastes of others?

If you think you can do better then put up or shut up. Get your music/videos up on a website and post em up. Until then you're nothing to nobody and Rebecca Mayes is someone who was hired by Escapist to produce original songs as musical reviews. She's already so far out of your league you'd need a microwave telescope to see her.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Taerdin said:
Are you my thought double? Seriously, no offence to her, but she is AWFUL at writing lyrics, has a really bad voice for singing and in the case of videos, does her best to avoid going in depth into a game which could actually make these videos bearable...

Oh, and replace ! with (!), that means sarcasm...

-Edit-
Wandrecanada said:
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

Yes but who are you and why should we care weather or not you like the video? Why come into a comments section and post that you dislike this or that based on personal taste? Do you think it affects the musical tastes of others?

If you think you can do better then put up or shut up. Get your music/videos up on a website and post em up. Until then you're nothing to nobody and Rebecca Mayes is someone who was hired by Escapist to produce original songs as musical reviews. She's already so far out of your league you'd need a microwave telescope to see her.
So he is not entitled to an opinion that differs from yours basically... You know, I don't think he was claiming to be famous or talented!

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Wandrecanada said:
Because it's a comments section. Not a positive comments section, it's a section for all comments. This means people are entitled to post their opinions on the subject.

Really, you don't have to care about other people's opinions - it's the internet, you're bound to find people who post things you disagree with, but it doesn't mean you have to get angry. Abedeus didn't enjoy it, so accept that. He's not trying to convice anyone that the video wasn't good and that everyone should stop watching it, he's just posting his opinion.

Now, I'm sorry if you don't like his opinion, or mine, since mine's partially negative, but there's no call to attack him, or anyone, based on their opinions. A calm debate, yes, but not an attack. Okay? :)

On Topic: Personally, I didn't enjoy this. I get the whole synth music idea, and the lyrics representing the game and whatnot, but it's just not my kind of music, I suppose.

Her singing wasn't bad, but it was often overpowered by the music, and, as a result, the song just wasn't catchy, or memorable, which are, in my opinion, two things that can make a song great. Ah well, never mind.

Still, I reckon I'll keep my ear out for anything else that shows up, since maybe she'll produce something that'll catch me at some point in the future, so good luck to her with that.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Wandrecanada said:
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

No, you shut up. I don't have to do anything to have an opinion. I really don't. I don't have to be a movie producer and a comic book writer to say that the last two X-Men movies sucked like hell and killed Deadpool's character, or that Spiderman 3 wasn't even half as good as the first two movies.

Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to criticize our sport teams, politicians, ANYONE!

Also, you seem to not understand what's the difference between "comment" or "opinion" and "praise" or "compliment".

lokiroki

Aug 16, 2009
Phenomenal work, Mayes. Again.

It's amazing how much I pretty much loathe the majority of the comments made to Mayes since the initial Sims video. Pretty much as a community, I would rate the members here at The Escapist to "middling-to-low" openess. And it's not because some people don't like it; it's that when they share their opinion it's coated in a snarky sense of entitlement that someone's creative work is worthless because it wasn't done in a style that they like.

Maybe it's just that I'm a grown-up and wear big boy pants, but at some point adults become capable to judge media based off what it took to create it, not how closely it fits their tastes.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
lokiroki said:
And it's not because some people don't like it; it's that when they share their opinion it's coated in a snarky sense of entitlement that someone's creative work is worthless because it wasn't done in a style that they like.
Welcome to the Escapist! :D

Not everyone here is like that, but I'll be damned if that isn't most of these people :)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
lokiroki said:
Phenomenal work, Mayes. Again.

It's amazing how much I pretty much loathe the majority of the comments made to Mayes since the initial Sims video. Pretty much as a community, I would rate the members here at The Escapist to "middling-to-low" openess. And it's not because some people don't like it; it's that when they share their opinion it's coated in a snarky sense of entitlement that someone's creative work is worthless because it wasn't done in a style that they like.

Maybe it's just that I'm a grown-up and wear big boy pants, but at some point adults become capable to judge media based off what it took to create it, not how closely it fits their tastes.
Hahaha.

So wait, we can't judge based on our tastes? THEN BASED ON WHAT? On your opinions? On opinions of celebrities, movie critics? Or should we roll the dice and see if we like it or not?

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
Wandrecanada said:
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

No, you shut up. I don't have to do anything to have an opinion. I really don't. I don't have to be a movie producer and a comic book writer to say that the last two X-Men movies sucked like hell and killed Deadpool's character, or that Spiderman 3 wasn't even half as good as the first two movies.

Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to criticize our sport teams, politicians, ANYONE!

Also, you seem to not understand what's the difference between "comment" or "opinion" and "praise" or "compliment".
I'm sorry that you and Demonguy both don't understand the meaning behind hate speech and why you're not in the right to do so. Critics will cite reasons behind their opinions to back up what they are saying. That differentiates them from hate speechers and internet rage jockeys like your post turned into (as evidenced by the bold text above).

Saying she's pretending to play a guitar and that she can't for no reason other than you desire to degrade the performance is a perfect example of hate speech. Yes I think it should be censored and yes I don't believe you have any right to come into a comments section and spew. Comments and opinions are fine to have, but if you are going to use this platform to propagate hate speech then I have every right to call you out.

Just to be clear;

"I just noticed you said she's "talented". I don't consider making some music using a demo version of software + faking playing the guitar a "talent". Rappers have more talent, if you look this way. Hell, even people mass-producing same techno "music" show more talent."

That is hate speech. There is no argument or evidence to support it. You cannot rebut hate speech because there is nothing presented to argue against. The only viable other side is total opposition. It's not a critique because there is no evidence to support the claim. To attempt to argue with it gives weight to it's validity. I refuse to call hate anything other than what it is and I refuse to allow people to think that their hatred is a valid opinion.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Hate speech? Criticism is now called this way?

How about this argument - I didn't like it, I don't like techno or songs from 80's. Also, her songs are repetitive - like someone noticed, all refrains are basically in 95% the same, only words change - repeat them 3 times, then one line, repeat 3 times, then one line.

I don't have desire to degrade anyone. Also, I don't think I hate her or her "art". Isn't that required for "hate" speech?

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
Abedeus said:
Wandrecanada said:
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:

And the point of his post just flew over your head.

You're critiquing MUSIC. You don't like her music, that's fine. The people who enjoy it don't care about what you have to say though, because you can't persuade people to like different music.

Your criticisms give no basis for improvement, since she is remaining fairly faithful to the pop genre. Since there's no basis for improvement, you're just giving her hate speech.