Rebecca Mayes Muses: Bionic Commando

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
JugglerPanda said:
Abedeus said:
Wandrecanada said:
Abedeus said:
Banderbear said:
I'm sorry I'm not a raving fan just because it's a girl.

edit: I just noticed you said she's "talented". I don't consider making some music using a demo version of software + faking playing the guitar a "talent". Rappers have more talent, if you look this way. Hell, even people mass-producing same techno "music" show more talent.
Yes but who are you and why should we care weather or not you like the video? Why come into a comments section and post that you dislike this or that based on personal taste? Do you think it affects the musical tastes of others?

If you think you can do better then put up or shut up. Get your music/videos up on a website and post em up. Until then you're nothing to nobody and Rebecca Mayes is someone who was hired by Escapist to produce original songs as musical reviews. She's already so far out of your league you'd need a microwave telescope to see her.
No, you shut up. I don't have to do anything to have an opinion. I really don't. I don't have to be a movie producer and a comic book writer to say that the last two X-Men movies sucked like hell and killed Deadpool's character, or that Spiderman 3 wasn't even half as good as the first two movies.

Otherwise, we wouldn't be able to criticize our sport teams, politicians, ANYONE!

Also, you seem to not understand what's the difference between "comment" or "opinion" and "praise" or "compliment".
And the point of his post just flew over your head.

You're critiquing MUSIC. You don't like her music, that's fine. The people who enjoy it don't care about what you have to say though, because you can't persuade people to like different music.

Your criticisms give no basis for improvement, since she is remaining fairly faithful to the pop genre. Since there's no basis for improvement, you're just giving her hate speech.
Okay, okay, I'm sorry. You know, it's just that it's been 20 years since Poland regained freedom of speech, I forgot it might be uncomfortable for some people to hear other people out.

Wanna basis for improvement? Don't use repeating chorus lines (3x words, 1 line, 3x words and so on), more about the game, don't stretch out the chorus so it all seems extremely empty, change the melody once in a while so it doesn't sound like it's just a loop. Okay, I get it, it's "on purpose" like this. But it isn't really a positive thing.

Also, don't use melody from demo versions of software. Someone might by an accident find out that fact.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Abedeus said:
How about this argument - I didn't like it, I don't like techno or songs from 80's. Also, her songs are repetitive - like someone noticed, all refrains are basically in 95% the same, only words change - repeat them 3 times, then one line, repeat 3 times, then one line.
That is a critical response yes. If you'd written that then we wouldn't have had an issue in the first place. Just because you aren't intending to degrade a person does not mean what you say is not degrading to them. And no you do not have to actually hate something to write hate speech about it. It's the form not the content.

Now the thing about a critique is that it contains arguments that can be rebutted. That's how you have a proper debate.

ie: She did the 80s music specifically because the franchise was originally made in the 80s so you're allowed not to like the style but she had obvious reasons for the review. She repeats the refrained "You're no Spiderman" a whole 2 times in the song with one at the end playing under other lyrics. There are many more than one line between refrains. Many many pop music icons have heavy lyric refrains. For example the current Billboard #1 is Black Eyed Peas "I Got A Feeling" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_2rrxONlLo.

So we've established you don't like the 80's and techno genres and that pop music has repetitive lyrics. No need to say she can't play an instrument or that she has terrible talent to track mixing.

S_K

Nov 16, 2007
RiffRaff said:
This is a bit of a back handed compliment: This is the first of your videos I actually liked.
It might be mean, but I actually agree with this comment x.x

Chartic

Nov 21, 2008
Pretty nice, I like that someone is making some out there making original songs about games. It gives me hope that others will start doing it.

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
ThatJagoGuy said:
Yer - I'm gonna jump happily onto the 'WTF?!' bandwagon with this one. I didn't get into the previous efforts but decided I'd give it 3 goes to be sure. I could never put my finger on why I didn't like this series but I think I know now.

Basically, this series doesn't seem to know what it's for. Is it comedy? Well, it's not very funny so probably not. So it must be informative, right? Nope - it's pretty weak on that front too. It's just... a tune then? Pretty much!

I reckon the idea of gaming-based songs has massive potential... but simply having adequate music without humour or much more than a cursory knowledge of gaming surely can't cut it on a site based around in-depth gaming and decent comedy. What purpose are these vids supposed to serve?

Reeeeally not wanting to be sexist, but I can't help but feel that a lot of the praise directed at this series is purely because she's a she... and not dog-balls ugly.

Just my two cents...!
I cant agree more... all 3 were a let down to me... i tried to like it, but it just didnt happen

Edit: i just went onto http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes_tv.htm and her video dont shoot them is quite well written and is a good song, so why cant we get video's from her like that on the escapist?

polygon

Jan 28, 2009
The amount of criticism this is getting compared to startups of the other series on Escapist is amusing to me. It's obviously not the worst thing on this site (Unforgotten Realms still holds that crown), so it's got to be because of one of two reasons (or both):

A) It's not going for annoying predictable humor. What is this? There's no punchline! How do I react?! This must suck!
B) She's a girl. GIRLS CAN'T MAKE INTERNET VIDEOS.

That's not to say I like it; the lyrics have too many segments where they flow awkwardly and the whole "musical review" thing doesn't suit my fancy (the music is good, though). But there's far worse on this site.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
polygon said:
The amount of criticism this is getting compared to startups of the other series on Escapist is amusing to me. It's obviously not the worst thing on this site (Unforgotten Realms still holds that crown), so it's got to be because of one of two reasons (or both):

A) It's not going for annoying predictable humor. What is this? There's no punchline! How do I react?! This must suck!

That's not to say I like it; the lyrics have too many segments where they flow awkwardly and the whole "musical review" thing doesn't suit my fancy (the music is good, though). But there's far worse on this site.
Yeah, UR is the worst. That's why a lot of people watched it before it got on the Escapist. Hell, I think a whole season was on the official site before they transfered here.

Also, you obviously didn't see how crappy the first few Apocalypse Lane episodes were. But they are funny now, maybe because they listened to people and stopped using fart jokes.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I liked this one. The lyrics repeat a bit too much in some parts but I suppose that mimics the repetitive gameplay. This series is looking promising but there's nothing outstanding so far in my opinion.

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
I liked this one, not as much as the ghostbusters but I think that is because the Ghostbusters are awesome (first film anyway). Anyway, keep up the magical songs and I will keep listening.

Cortheya

Elite Member
Jan 10, 2009
slipknot4 said:
NO! Just no... A gaming song should be something you could relate to, not completely new.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgbWwhmVbM&feature=channel
Nyhm FOR THE WIN!

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Abedeus said:
polygon said:

Yeah, UR is the worst. That's why a lot of people watched it before it got on the Escapist. Hell, I think a whole season was on the official site before they transfered here.

Also, you obviously didn't see how crappy the first few Apocalypse Lane episodes were. But they are funny now, maybe because they listened to people and stopped using fart jokes.
Please stop complaining, it is very unnecessary and irritating.
If you didn't like the video, I get it.

But stop telling people how much you hate

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
kozmo said:
Abedeus said:
polygon said:

You know there was little complaining... I mean, NO complaining in the post you quoted?

Sarcasm in the first part, compliments in the second.

polygon

Jan 28, 2009
Abedeus said:

I love it when people try to defend things with the "OH BUT IT'S POPULAR SO IT MUST BE GOOD" argument. It's like they're invalidating their own position for me.
In what little I watched of Apocalypse Lane I concluded that it was much better than UR because, if nothing else, they put at least a little effort into the visuals.

I should make a form letter listing common "my webcomic/show/game/etc. isn't that bad" defense arguments and why they are inherently flawed.

Lord Thodin

Jul 1, 2009
Its awesome, but its not as good as your Ghostbusters song IMO. Still top notch work, keep it up!

lokiroki

Aug 16, 2009
Abedeus said:
lokiroki said:
Phenomenal work, Mayes. Again.

It's amazing how much I pretty much loathe the majority of the comments made to Mayes since the initial Sims video. Pretty much as a community, I would rate the members here at The Escapist to "middling-to-low" openess. And it's not because some people don't like it; it's that when they share their opinion it's coated in a snarky sense of entitlement that someone's creative work is worthless because it wasn't done in a style that they like.

Maybe it's just that I'm a grown-up and wear big boy pants, but at some point adults become capable to judge media based off what it took to create it, not how closely it fits their tastes.
Hahaha.

So wait, we can't judge based on our tastes? THEN BASED ON WHAT? On your opinions? On opinions of celebrities, movie critics? Or should we roll the dice and see if we like it or not?
Based on the level of creative talent that was required to create the work.

There's plenty of music that I don't like, yet still recognize requires both talent to create and is pretty good for folks that like that sort of thing. If I were to have a chance to say something to an artist, any artist really, that creates good work that I don't enjoy, I'd probably say a lot of things, but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't feel the burning need to say something disrespectful or pretend that my lack of enjoyment makes their work somehow less awesome or relevant.

I'm not really here to argue it though. This is something that you either understand, you will eventually learn, or you will never give a s---. If you're the middle, it'll dawn on you some day. If you're the latter, there's nothing you could say that will make us agree, and I'd just as soon avoid you.

Not saying that you're the latter per se... I'm just sayin'.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Abedeus said:
kozmo said:
Abedeus said:
polygon said:

You know there was little complaining... I mean, NO complaining in the post you quoted?

no you didn't get it, you said that apocalypse lane improved now that they listened to what people said and stopped using fart jokes. i thought that by that you meant to say that Rebecca doesn't listen to what people says and uses fart jokes which to my opinion is complaining

but never mind that, I probably just didn't understand what you really meant.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
kozmo said:
Abedeus said:
kozmo said:
Abedeus said:
polygon said:

no you didn't get it, you said that apocalypse lane improved now that they listened to what people said and stopped using fart jokes. i thought that by that you meant to say that Rebecca doesn't listen to what people says and uses fart jokes which to my opinion is complaining

but never mind that, I probably just didn't understand what you really meant.
Wow, don't think so much, it's not working out.