murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Sober Thal said:
murphy7801 said:
Sober Thal said:
murphy7801 said:
Sober Thal said:
It's getting really lame.

Just because someone tells you a few things that happen in game doesn't mean you can write a meaningful song/improve/jam session and impress any real people.

Seriously, stop now please. You are embarrassing yourself.
I bet you like I hit it with my axe.
Funny story about that.....

I got banned from saying how I liked I Hit With Axe!

You can't call someone who makes videos on this sight the same words they call themselves in the videos.

That's why I am holding back my opinions on the make a home video girl.
I got suspend for saying I hit with my axe is like a violated rotten corpse that is just degrading to watch and thats only because the person who posted it say it because the video had oh say 12 post because no one watchs it.
Just don't say nobody watches it, and you should be okay.
Ha yer wonder why they remove comments like that !

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
Brilliant review. Plus a general sort of political statement. Most games with a two on the end suffer from this syndrome, I think.

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
Wow Ms. Mayes, I swear I was JUST talking about the very theme of your song not five minutes ago. Weird.

Silver Scribbler

Aug 5, 2009
I'm a little confused by the criticism of the developers as being a large, unimaginative company only interested in churning out the same game that people will buy. Crackdown 2 might have been distributed by Microsoft Game Studios, but it was actually created by Ruffian Games, an offshoot of the relatively small Dundee-based company that made the first Crackdown.

Realtime Worlds, who made the first Crackdown, recently released APB, a rather innovative and interesting attempt at creating a new kind of MMOG. Whether it was a massive success or not is unimportant, the fact is that they moved on to trying new things.

One would hope then that Ruffian games will now do the same. I don't think it's fair to criticise them for playing it safe with their first ever release. Taking the relatively large risk of pushing boundaries with their first title would be foolish, it makes sense to establish yourself in the business first. I think Miss Mayes is therefor being rather harsh.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Yeah.... Crackdown got old for me too. Never played the first one, though! :p

Initially, I wasn't too keen on where the video was going to go as it's pretty much the consensus that the developers have done bugger all new stuff with the Crackdown2...
But I gave you a chance to have your say and you did not disappoint!

Very interesting as always! Keep 'em coming, Ms. Mayes!

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
She makes a good point in the first few second. To many companys are just remaking the same game and adding 2 at the end. L4D2, CrackDown 2, and do not get me started how many times nintendo has remade the same zelda/mario for different concles. Back in the golden age of gaming. There was something called quantity over quality. Now companys are just making mass quality of garbage. I find my self buying from small unheard of companys cause they do not have the money to mass produce garbage. On top of it. Their games are usally alot cheaper. Anywhere from 20 - 40 dollars cheaper. Which is nice cause they are alot better then most games big company come out with. I find my self renting/torenting big name games cause they are crap. That right I said torent. Sames me so much money on games I have not even finish cause they where just that bad. Maybe if the mass brainless population would stop buying the 90% - 95% of bad games. Game quantity would go up way way way up. Then again that about as realistic as people learning how to walk on water and rez the dead. I blame the mass ammount of imbreading and lack of good parents.

AceOfNoSpecificSuit

Aug 10, 2010
If I look at these videos from a musical standpoint - they're bland and uninspiring, with little melody and only a passing voice.
If I consider them game reviews - well, they don't even really do that.
Really, the only reason this exists is because someone saw a niche to fill that certain gamers would lap up - just make a bunch of toneless songs and throw in video game related lyrics.

I guess this just goes to show that as long as you're a female and better than average looking you can put on some spandex and not say anything new, and still the internet hordes will lap it up and grovel at your feet. Oh well.

Allan53

Dec 13, 2007
DoomBlackDragon said:
She makes a good point in the first few second. To many companys are just remaking the same game and adding 2 at the end. L4D2, CrackDown 2, and do not get me started how many times nintendo has remade the same zelda/mario for different concles. Back in the golden age of gaming. There was something called quantity over quality. Now companys are just making mass quality of garbage. I find my self buying from small unheard of companys cause they do not have the money to mass produce garbage. On top of it. Their games are usally alot cheaper. Anywhere from 20 - 40 dollars cheaper. Which is nice cause they are alot better then most games big company come out with. I find my self renting/torenting big name games cause they are crap. That right I said torent. Sames me so much money on games I have not even finish cause they where just that bad. Maybe if the mass brainless population would stop buying the 90% - 95% of bad games. Game quantity would go up way way way up. Then again that about as realistic as people learning how to walk on water and rez the dead. I blame the mass ammount of imbreading and lack of good parents.
I'm confused. You seem to (and I could be wrong) have confused the meanings of quantity and quality.

Quantity is about numbers. Quality is about (at least in the context you seem to be using) how good/enjoyable a game is.

cynik

Nov 6, 2009
Good song, Rebecca finally back on track, getting there, not quite yet, but soon.

But that beat reminds me of something other, really strongly and I can't quite figure what it is, something from Tricky or Massive Attack or maybe something completly diffrent. I might actually listen to that song for a second time. Yep, I'll go and do that now.

Edit: done. Still nothing, my memory is like a range rover, excellent but sometimes it gives up on me without any visible reason.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I feel a little as though that song lacked something of your usual melodiousness. I cannot say this was my favourite song. Though I as always, am looking forward to the next invention!

Billkwando

Oct 8, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
Where have you been miss Mayes? We missed you and your segment here. My week feels less complete if i don't listen to a musical reveiw of something.

Anyway i liked the video (and the jacket) kinda sounded like the backing track to a tom waits song, you know without the paint-sripping but awesome vocals over the top. Very home made jazz.
I like the song too, but since when did Tom Waits sound like the theme to the Powerpuff Girls?

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
You are confused. I am saying companys are not carring about how bad their games are. Cause they know people will buy them. The quantity over quality comment means companys like EA will make 100 bad games a year with no good games. Games companys are mass producting crap. You must have misses read OVER for AND. You know OVER as it on top of. It like tanks in WW2. Germany did quality over quantity and the US/England did quantity over quality. ((Tiger tanks vs Shermans.)) Game companies used to make Tiger games. Now they are only making Shermans.

Does this help you understand what I am saying?

Gulandro

Sep 4, 2009
Hopefully you don't read this and soon an new song's topic will wash away this from your eager eyes. I just downloaded your first album (for a prize) and enjoyed trough your airey(?) trip again. Woww, and woww again. I really love these, so rich and meaningful. However I dont listen to the lyrics too much ... the sound is enough for me. You don't play my kinda games anyway, so that doesn't concern me. The thing why i wrote thet I miss your new song Miss Mayes from the dark mountains of Kárpáts. They usually make my day, and the videos (sometimes seems a bit rushed) I appriciate the talent of yours. Thank you for the music.