Rebecca Mayes Muses: Fable 2

David Eller

Jun 26, 2010
Rebecca Mayes said:
ghii3 said:
another thing, am i the only person who cared or even noticed that this took roughly a month and most others on the escapist take a week?
I'm making a non-gaming album in between!

More details on blog http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/audioblog_rebeccamayes_26.htm
Sweet

Uberpig

Nov 20, 2009
I didn't really like this one because I couldn't find any relevance to the game it was reviewing.
Then I took it as a song on its own merits and I liked it a little better, though the rhymes were a little predictable.
Loved the scene with you on the bed at the end though, made me laugh.

ThatJagoGuy

Feb 11, 2009
Ryank1908 said:
Song was once again fantastic but I'm really not sure what it had to do with Fable 2. Even in a subtle metaphoric way i'd be hard pressed to link the two. Still. Awesome song.
Ah, good! Somebody expressed my sentiment already. I think this was a bit of a cop out - an unrelated song heavily shoe-horned into a gaming context.

Blayze2k

Dec 16, 2009
Rebecca Mayes said:
ghii3 said:
another thing, am i the only person who cared or even noticed that this took roughly a month and most others on the escapist take a week?
I'm making a non-gaming album in between!

More details on blog http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/audioblog_rebeccamayes_26.htm
This is good news.
I tend to like your music best when it doesn't pertain as strongly to gaming.

fusion4bass

Sep 2, 2009
Nice fire CGI ^_-
I like your songs and admire that You record it all by yourself, but please consider working with someone on the mixes. I think this song could be a lot better.

Cheers from Poland

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
I really can't see rebecca Mayes ever turning into a descent song writter, watched most of here videos and they are the worst lyrics I've ever heard accompanied by an aweful progressional guitar piece. It sound like you've got a person who has only ever listened to the script put in room with a guitar, a typewritter and a lyricist that just happens to be a monkey who has learnt to write by picking random words out of the dictionary and makes sure every fourth word rhymes and every six lines there's a chorus where it is just one line repeated about eight times.

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
A lovely, gentle song. I like it. The simplicity of the instruments and background really gives the vocals a chance to shine.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
Just lovely, good for settling down at night with a cup of Rooibos. :)

Ever thought of putting out a cd?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Senarrius said:

err...

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100685-Get-Rebecca-Mayes-Album-The-Epic-Win-Two-Weeks-Early]

under each RMM video

---

Shouldn't be another video out already?

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
esperandote said:
Senarrius said:

err...

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100685-Get-Rebecca-Mayes-Album-The-Epic-Win-Two-Weeks-Early]

under each RMM video

---

Shouldn't be another video out already?
Oh snap you're right!

I usually watch them from her Facebook, never even noticed the writing here about there being one.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Well I was hoping now that she was taking more time to release songs and was doing it less frequently that she would get better.

The video was great, really well done with the sketches.

But again the music was repetitive. Every song she does just repeats the same sentence over and over again for the chorus (Today is the day...today is the day).

I am okay with the songs not being reviews.
I am okay with the songs not being funny.
I am okay with the songs being interpretations of the game and how it makes her feel.

It's difficult to like her work though. She's writing songs about games, but it all seems so unfocused. Maybe if she just had a statement somewhere about what she wast trying to say or achieve with her art, we could understand what to expect from her a bit more clearly.

Even something as simple as "I write music about the way games make me FEEL"

Right now everything just seems random, rushed, and repetitive. Sorry but I won't be giving you anymore chances, as I've tried listening several times and have been disappointed each time.

I hope you find your voice eventually as I do think you are talented Ms. Mayes, but right now I don't think you've got it.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
I generally like your songs but this one didn't quite hit a chord with me. Today is the day...for what? That you finished the game? That you flew high on wings of imagination? It felt like you led us on with a question that you did not answer.

And I see others did like it. I just would have liked a bit more focus. Nice video work though! It was neat to see you take flight like the sparrow.

ZelosRaine

Sep 20, 2010
I really enjoyed the tension between the idea of "no particular place to go" (I assume it meant from your character's perspective + the fact you were even playing a video game) and your desire to enter that dream world (i.e. the video game).

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Four years later, I come back to listen to this wonderful song.
Thank you Rebecca for gracing the Escapist with your voice.