Rebecca Mayes Muses: Guitar Hero

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
GrinningManiac said:
Rebecca Mayes said:
GrinningManiac said:
that was BRIGHTON she was in!

I recognise the turqouise seafront fencing!

Awesome! My favourite modern-day musician in my favourite city!

Woot for Brighton, Woot for Rebecca and Woot for myself because I cannot pass up an oppertunity to praise myself needlessly
Woot for you. I'm pretty impressed you detected the location. Do you party in brighton?

------------------
Blog bloggie blog my blog
http://www.gamepeople.co.uk/rebeccamayes_blog.htm
What am partee-ing?

Alas, no. I lack the social skills and personality to party. Though if I did, I'd definatly go to Brighton, it's just so awesome!

Also, I'm now buzzing because Rebecca Mayes herself has responded to me! Squee, now I have internet credz!
A big lol to you, kind sir.

I can't imagine it's that different from the parties here in Belgium, or anywhere for that matter. Most of them are fun to party at, but when the majority of the crowd starts to exist out of 14-year-old adolescents who aren't even allowed to stay out until midnight, the fun level drops.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Meh. Voice doesn't fit and the video is quite bland. No one uploaded enough risque footage or funny footage?

I would've, but I only have Rock Band stuff.
You should have sent something in! We were accepting all takers (within reason) - one of the people that made it in the final video didn't even have a guitar controller at all.
If I would've known it was ok I would've. :(

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I've never understood the appeal of these videos. You take a naff song and combine it with a naffer review, and what do you get? Something really naff. It is neither entertaining nor useful as a review - it sucks.

weirdoproductions

May 19, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Meh. Voice doesn't fit and the video is quite bland. No one uploaded enough risque footage or funny footage?

I would've, but I only have Rock Band stuff.
You should have sent something in! We were accepting all takers (within reason) - one of the people that made it in the final video didn't even have a guitar controller at all.
HA, i really didn't think she'd use that footage

ckeymel

Jun 24, 2008
VioletZer0 said:
RaiZ-R said:
Constructive. Can you do better? Better yet, can you sing and/or play an instrument?
Not really, but do I need to compose music in order to know that her music is flawed?
If you are unable to intelligently back up why you feel that way then, yes, you should learn something about that which you are criticizing. It's how you get people to take you seriously.

RaiZ-R

Aug 15, 2009
VioletZer0 said:
Not really, but do I need to compose music in order to know that her music is flawed?
I was going to respond to this, but Ckeymel put it so eloquently I've decided to direct you to their post. Handily, I have quoted it at the bottom of this post for you to mull over. ;)

Joa_Belgium said:
Okay, maybe not really hard rock, but like I said: I wasn't decently paying attention the first time. I was watching everyone rock out in the video. That doesn't take away that the Overlord 2 vid is still my least favourite. I thought it was okay, I'm just really not into metal.
I agree with you there. Even as a metal/hard rock fan I didn't like the Overlord video. It all comes down to personal taste at the end of the, but I felt as though she'd chosen the style of music, simply due to the games content, and I prefer juxtaposition to conformation usually... That said, I did love this video.

maninahat said:
I've never understood the appeal of these videos. You take a naff song and combine it with a naffer review, and what do you get? Something really naff. It is neither entertaining nor useful as a review - it sucks.
Then, y'know, don't watch it... Sheesh.

ckeymel said:
VioletZer0 said:
RaiZ-R said:
Constructive. Can you do better? Better yet, can you sing and/or play an instrument?
If you are unable to intelligently back up why you feel that way then, yes, you should learn something about that which you are criticizing. It's how you get people to take you seriously.
^This.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
ckeymel said:
VioletZer0 said:
RaiZ-R said:
Shouldn't that work both ways? Surely you should make the same argument with anyone who praises the video as well as those who criticise it. As it happens, I am musically savvy, but I disagree with the idea that that could make my opinion any more important: more informed maybe, but how informed do I have to be to know what I like and don't like?

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I don't watch many of these because I think they sound too similar and are too repetitive. I liked the lyrics on this though, combined with epic user footage. I think you did a decent job of capturing the essence of Guitar Hero into a song although it wasn't quite rock enough.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
maninahat said:
ckeymel said:
VioletZer0 said:
RaiZ-R said:
Shouldn't that work both ways? Surely you should make the same argument with anyone who praises the video as well as those who criticise it. As it happens, I am musically savvy, but I disagree with the idea that that could make my opinion any more important: more informed maybe, but how informed do I have to be to know what I like and don't like?
You can certainly argue that, but there is a very important distinction between a comment that refers to the viewer's opinion ("I didn't like it."), and a comment that refers to the creator's ability to entertain the viewer ("Make it better.")

The latter absolutely does require an informed opinion, backed up with sound reasoning. Otherwise, it's just half-assed trolling.

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Not my favourite, but genre-wise, not the most suited to your vox. It was still tops and I love that you try, try, try so many things. The MW2 one blew me away so much it would have been impossible to beat with one that had to fit a GH theme.

Thanks muchly.
Update your weblog!

Billkwando

Oct 8, 2008
Unlike some folks, I like it _because_ you decided to do something a little different and/or out of character (or what people like to assume is out of character for you).

It's actually my favorite of what you've done since the original Hotel Dusk review (though I must admit I never got to hear the song you did about Flower). I don't really see how people expect you to do some sweet lilting ballad, spinning in a field of wildflowers, when you're doing a song about Guitar Hero or Rock Band.

synthesis

Oct 16, 2010
I dont like guitar hero games, but after lisnin' to this song i would like to learn to play guitar(a real 1), and rock mah pants offff!