Rebecca Mayes Muses: Halo Reach

Crypter

Jul 8, 2009
It's a strangely sombre but uplifting song, I'm not sure the lyrics reflects the game as heavily as some of your other works but getting to the core of any game that's about a cybernetic super-solider yeah, you are the power that moves everything forward you are great and capable of everything put before you. If anything the real world gives you more options not less to learn and grow to be more than you are now. Anyway enough babbling from me, nice work.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I think I must lack the lateral thinking ability to see the meaning behind these words, could someone help me?

It does sound very good, though.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I thought it was gorgeous. Quite possibly the best piece I have heard from you since you started on The Escapist.

I absolutely didn't like the schedule change for these songs, but if this is the quality we will be getting, then it is worth the wait.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
It sounds very good and has some strong provokative vocals, but I am not entirely sure what it means, the images have very little to do with Halo and I can't really tell if it's pro the game or not or if it's trying to make some kind of message.

Still, I did like the line:
"You are the Halo."
Because for some reason I can't help but feel there is poetry in that line in particular, even if I am not entirely sure what that is.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
This was great. Quite touching especially considering it's about people in space going pew pew pew from their guns.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Ms. Mayes, I must compliment you on your work. You oftentimes take me to strange places that I was not at all expecting, but sometimes those strange places are wonderful, too.

Migratingchimp

Jun 7, 2010
By far the best song I've heard from you, in my opinion. I feel torn apart by the emotions it invokes. Beautiful and astounding.

Snowpact

He is the Walrus
Oct 15, 2008
This could very well be the best piece you've written so far for the Escapist. It's intriguing, inspiring and, in some way, positively haunting.

Very well done. Bravo!

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Whoa...this was ispired by Halo?

The song could easily stand on its own, I think.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Good song I suppose... wouldn't be a bad idea to try a new type of song, I've seen you make different ones, and I liked those ones better.

Still a good song, but branching out wouldn't be a bad idea.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Fantastic! As always Rebecca a great piece fof music!

Jalius

Jul 6, 2010
She didn't write the lyrics, they are from Marianne Williamson and were used in Nelson Mandela's inauguration speech.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
I am the weapon of mass destruction, meant to eradicate all sentient life in the galaxy?

Seems right.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
I liked it, a lot.

Quite a soft mood setting tune to help see the meaning in the lyrics, with those steady drums in the background keeping you through the song.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
A powerful message. And it'd great to see it's provoked such emotions from some of the posters. Can't ask much more from a creative piece.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I really like that message, I first hear it in a Samuel L Jackson movie where he coaches a basketball team.

I liked the song too but i feel that you're really trying to find side meanings and sing about games the less you can. I understand that the genre might feel to little after some time.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
My favorite song you have ever made. It has such a nice feeling and tone and the ending images captured the emotion of the song.

Now the chorus is stuck in my head.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Excellent work putting these uplifting and powerful words to music. Your style is uniquely suited for conveying this message.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Yet another ballad with a repetitive chorus...sigh...Whatever happened to wanting to try new things?
You are the halo you are the divine sung twice is repetitive? I don't think you know how to song.

snotvomit

Mar 20, 2009
Ooh! That was good :)

This monthly format seems better - much more polished songs. Lovely to listen to.

Great work.

drdamo

May 17, 2010
Splendid piece of creativity! And as always, its not just your music that matters, its the message and mindset behind the music that are equally important!

I do understand that some people focus on the music part and try to find flaws or dislikes, yet they seem to forget that this is not commercial music made to dance or to make money.
As far as I have experienced it, it is musical art/philosophy that tries to combine your view on games, social values/human psychology and the world as a whole with your instrumental and vocal skills!

I wouldn't mind being as multi-talented as you Rebecca.
Alas butterfingers and musical instruments don't match, ghehe.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Oy... Okay, great music, good message if overdone, but what in the fuck does this have to do with Reach besides having Halo as it's title? I mean, Rebecca, you make good music, but I have yet to hear a song that doesn't just use the game's title as a jumping off point for some other message, completely diverting from the material you're dragging your audience in for. The exception is the hate message you sent Yahtzee, and that's, honestly, your best song because of it.

But, like I said, good song. If it wasn't supposed to be connected to Reach it would have been great.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Definately my favourite from you.
One thing:
Not so much about halo in most places, about video games and talent - at a guess that means you started writing this before reach was released?
No offense, but this seems to be similar to a lot of your songs - video games and a very, very, very vague theme of the game.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Anyone with me thinking Mayes has gotten more obscure over time? Help me out here, I haven't played the game, but what does this have to do with Halo?

Dragon-Byte

May 21, 2009
Best one yet!!
Beautiful message, uplifting yet compromising on the human condition.

Very impressed

Damn
Good
Damn
Damn
Damn
Good
Damn
Damn
Good
Good
Damn
DAMN

...GOOD

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
When I left school my English teacher handed out copies of Nelson Mandela's inauguration speech for everybody. It was telling us that we could go on from there and achieve anything, and never to be afraid of success. Since that English class was probably the seed that made me want to write for a living, that speech has some personal meaning to me.

Most of that English either has more kids than fingers or are spending most of their adult lives in prison now. I think they may have missed the point of the speech somewhat...

I haven't played any Halo game after the first one (which I thought sucked) so I don't know how this links into the game (besides the title appearing in the chorus). But I loved the song regardless, it was uplifting and powerful. Exactly what you'd expect from a Rebecca Mayes song.

I thought the line 'get in the driver's seat, get out of the passenger's seat,' was particularly clever. Nice little dual meaning there.

GUNGUNGUN

Nov 19, 2009
Lovely song, but where is the actual part about Halo? Call me crazy but I think these songs were originally meant to have a video game theme.

Apr 17, 2009
Xombee said:
Yet another ballad with a repetitive chorus...sigh...Whatever happened to wanting to try new things?
You are the halo you are the divine sung twice is repetitive? I don't think you know how to song.
It's said five times. Each time in the exact same way. I don't think you know how to count. Or spell

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Wow, your songs have really gotten better since you started posting them with more time in between. This is probably my favorite so far, not due to how it reflects the game, but marely on its own merits. The soundscape is amazing is amazing and the lyrics are really inspiring. This just made my day!

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Xombee said:
It's said five times. Each time in the exact same way. I don't think you know how to count. Or spell
WARNING: OFF-TOPIC DISCUSSION THAT WON'T LAST LONG
I like your taste in music
What bands do you like?

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Really good work, speaking as a someone who neglects Halo entirely, this manages to be a great song entirely without reference. Congrats on one of your best songs since RE5.

I'm a sucker for layered vocals.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
While I can't say I always enjoy the music here, the video usually is pretty interesting and so I'll watch it. This time, however, I felt the video was the weakest of any of her videos that I've watched. The images weren't of great quality and... I dunno, just weren't interesting to watch. About halfway through I just opened another window while I listened to the song. Now, the song I enjoyed! It's probably one of my favorites. However, I'm just curious - was there a time crunch or something for this video? Were you too busy playing to do an actual video? Just that this didn't seem up to the general quality of them.

Tadd

Jan 22, 2010
Blueruler182 said:
Oy... Okay, great music, good message if overdone, but what in the fuck does this have to do with Reach besides having Halo as it's title? I mean, Rebecca, you make good music, but I have yet to hear a song that doesn't just use the game's title as a jumping off point for some other message, completely diverting from the material you're dragging your audience in for. The exception is the hate message you sent Yahtzee, and that's, honestly, your best song because of it.

But, like I said, good song. If it wasn't supposed to be connected to Reach it would have been great.
I said it once and I'll say it again...

Where does a girl with a completely average voice and average look, go? Of course to a gaming website/forum; one that holds hordes of male geeks/nerds.. it is a piece of cake to generate a fanbase here. She has a passion for making music (and does it well in my opinion), so she writes a song, makes a passing reference to a gaming title, whacks it on the escapist, sits back and enjoys the compliments.

I'm not a fan, but I watch/listen, because I love the site. I don't suppose we have any budding males who would like to take a pop at writing some gaming related music? Let's see if it gets the same results.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
This is a VERY good one Rebecca.

For some odd reason it did speak to me inside.....strange.

Saioon

Aug 25, 2010
Beautiful song, liked it a lot.
Did any one else think it was about getting out away from the game and being good at being yourself rather than being in the game?

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
was interesting, not quite sure what it had to do with halo aside from the 4 images/video clips

but...still good.

Giandroid

Jun 15, 2010
I loved the song. Anything that makes me think about things more than I normally would is good in my books.
I don't quite feel the same about the slideshow-style presentation, though. I liked the intermittent graphics and such, but it still doesn't resonate quite so well as changing setpieces and costumes and brocoli.
But I suppose a girl's only got so much time on her hands...

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
I've previously said my liking of a Rebecca Mayes song has a lot to do with how much she likes a game. Apparently that isn't true. Apparently how much I like a Rebecca Mayes song depends on how good a flowing undertone the music has.

Becks, I really liked how this song can be added to the list of songs with multiple interpretations. I've yet to play Halo Reach, but I have heard how it places the player as a one of many and it is interesting to see your musical take on that.

Please keep up the good work.

Apr 28, 2008
I was afraid you got cancelled or something. Glad to see your still here :)

I'm not exactly sure what I heard. But I do know that it was absolutely fantastic. Great song, and shows why the Escapist keeps you. You have one hell of a talent.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
The music was fine, but those JPEG Artifacts were driving me crazy.

EDIT:
Tadd said:
Blueruler182 said:

I said it once and I'll say it again...

Where does a girl with a completely average voice and average look, go? Of course to a gaming website/forum; one that holds hordes of male geeks/nerds.. it is a piece of cake to generate a fanbase here. She has a passion for making music (and does it well in my opinion), so she writes a song, makes a passing reference to a gaming title, whacks it on the escapist, sits back and enjoys the compliments.

I'm not a fan, but I watch/listen, because I love the site. I don't suppose we have any budding males who would like to take a pop at writing some gaming related music? Let's see if it gets the same results.
Have you heard of MiracleofSound?

Draksila

Feb 10, 2010
The speech was a thing of beauty, and the music you chose to put it to gives it an ethereal quality that helps the message. It is very reminiscent to me of Sarah McLachlan's take on the prayer of St. Francis. That said, though, I think this should have been released to the site on its own merits rather than trying to link it to Halo: Reach. The song doesn't really feel like a review of the game or an ode to the tragic backstory that it is trying to tell, and trying to force it into that shell takes away from the music's potency in my eyes.

In short, beautifully done... but don't try to shoehorn a piece into a specific mold just so it fits a preconceived notion for what music you should be trying to put on display here. Let it speak for itself.

The Journey

Jul 12, 2010
Snowpact said:
This could very well be the best piece you've written so far for the Escapist. It's intriguing, inspiring and, in some way, positively haunting.
I agree. Very, very good.

ghii3 said:
Three messages saying the same thing in a row ^
Bad sign, Rebbeca
I like the way you've conveniently missed all the positive responses. Voicing your opinion is one thing but placing yourself in a vocal minority or negative segment of the commenters and then claiming it to be a 'bad sign' is rather stupid.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Do not be afraid to be the greatest, it is through your light that other may be great.

Not a big fan of halo, but im a fan of heroes. Good song, rebecca

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Xombee said:
Yeah? You think I didn't write that on purpose? You're dense boy-o. I'd nit pic at your syntax and grammar too, but that's stupid and not on topic and only stupid and not on topic people do it.

Nothing wrong with a chorus that repeats itself, that's what choruses are. If there are small variations in a chorus, that's okey. If it's the same, that's fine too. I think you don't know how to song.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
I ask that ever time I attempt to give her another chance.

Maybe I should just give up.

Wedlock49

May 5, 2010
Watched it. I actually enjoyed it a little bit... but only the parts from the speech, the parts that you added seemed pretentious.

Also, please stop trying to tie your songs into games, it's not working. I'd respect you a lot more if you did this off your own back rather than using the gaming culture as a spring board, especially when you take things from a game universe out of context.

The chorus didn't change very much, the second voice in the last run through altered it enough to make it bearable. the "YOOOOU" however broke flow and sounded fucking tortured, not something I would ever reccomend someone to do.

Also, the use of the images... I understand what you were going for, it's an art style that I appreciate, however it only works if you put a lot of effort into it, which you obviously didn't.

TL;DR
stop using games as a spring board.
work harder on making your lyrics flow.
put more overall effort into your work.
go for less shallow themes, I could find a hundred songs with the exact same meaning that weren't ripped from a Nelson Mandella speech.

JRShield

Dec 9, 2009
I'm sorry, but "you are the halo" doesn't make any sense, if this song is halo related. A halo is a big planet in the form of a, well halo. So the song is telling me I'm a big ring? You are the spartans would have made more sense.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Whenever I listen to the Muses videos it's like a mini self-help course. It's a good contrast to the other videos on Escapist, which can be negative.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Rebecca, one of your best yet. I don't know if it can topple my faves...but it did almost make me cry.

You know, I think one of the resistances to some of your work here is that you are quite often subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) critical of aspects of gamer culture. And I think people take umbrage. But...I think people sometimes miss the point. I mean, I see your critiques extending beyond gaming and to a larger culture of consumer capitalism. Also, I see you praising some of the desire to be heroic that video games also tie into.

Anyway, keep doing your thing, this song was excellent...and I'm looking forward to your new album!

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
a good song, and I'm sorry for being "that guy", but I really just can't spot what it has to do with Halo...at all.

And dammit Ms. Mayes, I was hoping to see you in a home-made spartan outfit!

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I've only seen a couple others besides this one. Picked a great one to tune in on.

The message of the song is a bit obscure. I pulled, you shouldn't hold yourself back from your full potential just to make others feel better because they can also be just as great.

I see a loose connection to Reach in this. I'd say instead of applying to Reach as a game this song applies to the entirety of what is happening in the game. The covenant's assault on Reach and the fact that most people who played this game already knew the outcome of the Reach conflict fits the somber, yet encouraging, feel of this song.

I would like to play the final mission of Reach to this song.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Was interesting, wasn't expecting the song to turn out the way it did. Sort of reminded me about the Modern Warfare 2 song for some reason which also turned out to be more about the people playing the game.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Nice song and I'm not afraid to ask - what is the link to Halo(Reach specifically) in this song?
I couldn't find anything besides some of the visuals and the "passenger side" lyric. Besides for that (and really that was a stretch) I couldn't see any relations what so ever.

Most things in that song could be applied to any game?
I'm just wondering because I'm hoping a title wasn't there to lure in people. I'd much prefer a song on something RM likes to play, even if it were some obscure old 2D Indy game or whatever rather than have a name of a game squished in to the title just fore popularities sake.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
I didn't really get how all the images I just saw are connected to Halo. They seem so random, IMO. The song was interesting, I suppose. I think I'd prefer it without the vocals, since it seems to be going for that "chill-out" feel.

Wedlock49 said:
*thumbs up* Couldn't have worded it better.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
The Journey said:
Snowpact said:
I agree. Very, very good.

ghii3 said:
Three messages saying the same thing in a row ^
Bad sign, Rebbeca
I like the way you've conveniently missed all the positive responses. Voicing your opinion is one thing but placing yourself in a vocal minority or negative segment of the commenters and then claiming it to be a 'bad sign' is rather stupid.
I ignore the positives because those are the *cough* hardcore supporters. You know, those people who would try to make excuses for her if she posted a vid of her screaming for a bit and nothing else. The people who aren't these people are saying the same thing.
That's what I'm saying.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
_Janny_ said:
I didn't really get how all the images I just saw are connected to Halo. They seem so random, IMO. The song was interesting, I suppose. I think I'd prefer it without the vocals, since it seems to be going for that "chill-out" feel.

Wedlock49 said:
*thumbs up* Couldn't have worded it better.
If you're gonna quote somebody then don't refer directly to what you cut out of the quote

S0nofKrypton

May 22, 2009
excellent job, Rebecca. furthermore, in the future, you should keep your videos in picture form like this one and/or have in-game footage rather than dressing up and filming yourself.....not to say that you're not beautiful. ;-)

Apr 17, 2009
Xombee said:
Xombee said:
Yeah? You think I didn't write that on purpose? You're dense boy-o. I'd nit pic at your syntax and grammar too, but that's stupid and not on topic and only stupid and not on topic people do it.

Nothing wrong with a chorus that repeats itself, that's what choruses are. If there are small variations in a chorus, that's okey. If it's the same, that's fine too. I think you don't know how to song.
Yes, I do think you didn't do that on purpose, as your sudden change of gears into nitpicking and insults would suggest

A chorus of two lines that repeats itself over and over is a problem. It shows lack of imagination. "I couldn't be bothered coming up with something proper, so I'll just say the same few things repeatedly". Like that godawful Beiber song.
It doesn't help that this is in the exact same style as every other song she's ever done. I bet I could replace the lyrics and only one or two people would notice

Tadd

Jan 22, 2010
Also... seriously... stop giving me badges for watching 1,2,3,4 episodes of Rebbeca Mayes and give me ONE badge for watching ALL of Zero Punctuation episodes back-to-back 3-4 times!

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Tadd said:
Also... seriously... stop giving me badges for watching 1,2,3,4 episodes of Rebbeca Mayes and give me ONE badge for watching ALL of Zero Punctuation episodes back-to-back 3-4 times!
You serious about that?

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
If there's even a tenuous connection to the game beyond the occasional use of the Spartan in the graphics or the use of the word "Halo," I'm not seeing it.

However, this is actually quite a nice song. I enjoyed it thoroughly!

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
Wow. I think this has to come pretty high on my list of favourite songs you've done so far. Beautiful song, though perhaps I don't know enough about Halo to link it.
I do, however, know I want to listen to it again.

Phaerim

Sep 15, 2010
What kind of song is great, if you can't leave room for metaphorical interpretation. Yeah Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Muse would be such awesome music if you took everything they said literally.

Remember, music is subjective to the listener, and one might get one meaning, one another. People still haven't decided what Strawberry Fields Forever is about.

Having watched a couple of videos of Rebecca Mayse, I must say that some songs are too much "Bjork" and some are quite good. Especially loved her song about Call of Duty, Mass Effect 2, Silent Hill, the one about Zero Punctuation and this one in particular.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
I'd love to know your thought process behind the halo suit opening up and the girl from the "light" scene exiting. The lyrics seem to be admonishing us for spending so much time accepting a fake idea of our own greatness. Yet the image paired with it seemed to hint that we are missing the true brilliance of our own talents by truncating our growth from sitting and playing games too long. And coupled with gallaetha_matt's comment:

gallaetha_matt said:
I thought the line 'get in the driver's seat, get out of the passenger's seat,' was particularly clever. Nice little dual meaning there.
I am really thinking that was part of your message.

And it was lovely and haunting, yet this one seemed to actually move you with its story over frustrating mechanics. Did it truly move the muse to musing?

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Wow, that was a good song - only very slightly connected to Halo: Reach but good on its own merits anyways.

Zaph

Sep 20, 2008
Saioon said:
Did any one else think it was about getting out away from the game and being good at being yourself rather than being in the game?
Yeah, I thought that was sort of the point. A few of her songs have had this theme.
Thought it was strange no one else mentioned that. Not a especially pro-gamer message, I suppose? Not that it's uncalled for-- I dunno.
I like most of her songs, even though they are similiar. She's seem to be quite talented and sweet, maybe it's time to move on to write about other things, without having to find connections to games. She seems to be more of a hippie than a geek, so to speak. No disrespect!
Maybe I'm just a jerk.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I have to say I really like this song, and the fact that it was inspired by Halo:Reach. We all know (or ought to by this point in time) how that game ends. This song as well as the game aren't so much about winning, but are about giving it your all. No matter what. :) Great stuff Miss Mayes.

Nihilism_Is_Bliss

Oct 27, 2009
Danny Ocean said:
I think I must lack the lateral thinking ability to see the meaning behind these words, could someone help me?

It does sound very good, though.
I'm with you there...

Umwerfer

Nov 3, 2008
It's not about Halo -.-'
JRShield said:
I'm sorry, but "you are the halo" doesn't make any sense, if this song is halo related. A halo is a big planet in the form of a, well halo. So the song is telling me I'm a big ring? You are the spartans would have made more sense.
Indeed either of those would make no sense. "halo"(as in the floating ring above your head) is a metaphor for something, though as with any excellent song, I've got no chance in hell at deciphering it first time hearing it :D

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Gosh, there are so many really overly literal people on these boards. Scholar Richard Middleton discusses that the songs that have the most success and longevity are what he calls "undercoded." This means there is room for interpretation allowing more listeners to have a connection to the work. Overcoded songs are too literal and too obvious and don't generally stand the test of time.

Clearly, Ms. Mayes made a connection between playing Halo: Reach and the speech at Mandela's inauguration. This connection seems to be related to the musings (this is Mayes Muses, after all) that seem to be important to her: power (where we get it, what we do with it) in relation to violent games, the urge towards heroism, relationships to violence, where/how we get feelings of accomplishment.

Anyway, this song is about Halo. But it isn't about, "Oh, on this level this thing happens, let me put it in a song." It is more a meditation on Halo as a game and as a cultural and interpersonal phenomenon. And that is what makes the song art.

I think this particular song is of a piece with musings like: Modern Warfare, The Machine, The Mirror, and Overlord. Anyway, good job Ms. Mayes, I'm looking forward to the next installment.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
trooper6 said:
Gosh, there are so many really overly literal people on these boards. Scholar Richard Middleton discusses that the songs that have the most success and longevity are what he calls "undercoded." This means there is room for interpretation allowing more listeners to have a connection to the work. Overcoded songs are too literal and too obvious and don't generally stand the test of time.

Clearly, Ms. Mayes made a connection between playing Halo: Reach and the speech at Mandela's inauguration. This connection seems to be related to the musings (this is Mayes Muses, after all) that seem to be important to her: power (where we get it, what we do with it) in relation to violent games, the urge towards heroism, relationships to violence, where/how we get feelings of accomplishment.

Anyway, this song is about Halo. But it isn't about, "Oh, on this level this thing happens, let me put it in a song." It is more a meditation on Halo as a game and as a cultural and interpersonal phenomenon. And that is what makes the song art.

I think this particular song is of a piece with musings like: Modern Warfare, The Machine, The Mirror, and Overlord. Anyway, good job Ms. Mayes, I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Wow, I was just about to type out a long response to some of the comments here, when I see you've said the same thing, only better.

Damn ninjas!

Anyway, it's a good song. Keep it up!

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
Gyrefalcon said:
I'd love to know your thought process behind the halo suit opening up and the girl from the "light" scene exiting. The lyrics seem to be admonishing us for spending so much time accepting a fake idea of our own greatness. Yet the image paired with it seemed to hint that we are missing the true brilliance of our own talents by truncating our growth from sitting and playing games too long. And coupled with gallaetha_matt's comment:
You... you spelled my screenname right...

This has never happened to me before. I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

Seriously though, you seem to be right on the message with this song. I got the same impression. We seem to be being told to get off our arses and go do some things instead of playing video games. When I first heard it I was resolved to finishing writing my third novel by the end of the week.

But now I can't think of an ending, so I've got writer's block, so I'm back to sitting on my arse playing video games again.

Something has gone wrong here.

But I respect the message of this song, we've all got our own super powers - be they writing, playing music, drawing, running, dancing, Telekinesis or the power of heart, so we should be out there using them to bring death to our enemies.

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
honestly, I listened to it the first time and wasn't sure that i enjoyed it, but after listening to it again i started thinking about it a on a slightly deeper level and it started hitting me in different ways, this ones gonna take a few more listens for me to fully interpret it lol

*edited to correct a redundancy*

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I like this song. I've listened to it several times over the course of time it has been out. It's just so...calming.

Kinda reminds me of old Evanescence.

greyknight

Feb 18, 2010
i belive what she is trying to get across is its not the game companys that make the how it is it is the players them self that make the game addicting (this is not inculding any one who is under the age of 17 playing halo) in a sesen "you are the halo" is that well for lack of better words we are halo with out the gamers it dosent exsite

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Hmm. What, if anything, is the difference between a sansula and an mbira?

Anyway, a very arresting song. Thanks, Ms. Mayes.

Forest White

Oct 4, 2010
I don't normally enjoy sentimental works, nor do I usually talk to people on forums. However, this presentation moved me more profoundly than I could have anticipated when I clicked the link on a whim. Inspired, I believe, sums up the quality of this video, for it inspired me and that cannot be said of most of the content, however entertaining, that populates this site.

You, Ms. Mayes, are the Halo.

fusion4bass

Sep 2, 2009
Impressive piece of music. Your singing is amazing as always but musically it's one of Your best tunes on Escapist. Also thumbs up for double bass ( even though MIDI :( ).
Cheers !

FlameUnquenchable

Apr 27, 2010
Good job in encapsulating the Noble team Rebecca. For those of you who don't understand what it has to do with Reach, well I'm very sorry you don't get it.

Not every song about a game has to say something about the world or the gameplay. Sometimes it can express an emotion that the person playing felt as a result of the actions of the protagonists of said game.

Also, Halo doesn't necessarily have to mean the machine in the game, it can mean 'Halo' as the object that everyone is pursuing, as in 'the goal' or the 'object of struggle' which happens on a personal level as well as on a cultural/galactic level in the game.

The Noble team is the pinnacle of human technology, and while individual, they are the peak of the fighting force at Reach. They are who they are, without reservation, and are not afraid to be who they have to be at any cost...which is not something that can be said of us as humans mostly. The song can be seen as a comparison between what our best could be, and why we're not achieving it, unlike those brave heroes of Reach who were all they could be...who had to be all they could be especially in the face of destruction.

Goro

Feb 16, 2021
Country
Australia
By far the best she's done yet, fantastic both lyrically and musically.

ZelosRaine

Sep 20, 2010
Wonderful! Yes, it is a bit of a reach (no pun...well, maybe a little pun intended) to connect these lines to the gameplay. However, the idea what you have taken away from the game, the idea that fighting and shooting games often rely on darkness, melancholy, and violence to drive their story, contrasts perfectly with your realization (as in poetic realization) that people often use these themes to hide from their own positive energy (i.e. light, logos, or whatever other meaning laden symbol you would like) and the fear that accompanies that realization: the realization that they could do more but are not.

Ced23Ric

Oct 6, 2010
It seems very obvious to me what's going on here.

First of all: Love it. Combining history, tune and this game is, considering the Escapists flair, quite a feat. Now, moving on to my interpretation.

The beginning gives it away easily: It is about the Spartans, and their feelings. These fictional soldiers of awesome are human, and they have feelings. How does a person feel that is told that he and 200 others are the best of the best of the best of humanity? They are sent out against terrible odds, and expected to win regardless. They get thrown against waves and waves of enemies, as shields of humanity, as heroes of their days - unsung heroes, reduced to tools of war.

They get morally lost, deprived of the simplicity of life. Spartans had no childhood worth mentioning. No lovers, no friens - their life is war and training. Now, why them? Who are they to be augmented to these levels, and why are ODSTs or other soldiers not? It is the age-old question; why me? We are all meant to shine - as children do. Spartans have no childhood. They were trained rock solid at young age, taken away from family and social surroundings. Their "mother" was a scientist, and their "playground" was a boot camp.

Yet, all these abandoned things aside, they are the essence of warfare, supersoldiers, meant to surpass all military expectations. Someone has to safe the world - wouldn't that task shatter your mind? I would be frightened by the power to do so. Aren't we just mere mortals? How can a single being have so much impact? Perseverance, of unbelievable levels. But they need this mentality. The Spartans need to see themselves as heroes, they need to believe in their power, as mind warping as it might be. If a Spartan loses that trust in himself, he is shrinking, and that helps no one. In fact, a single Spartan breaking under the psychological pressure is a loss of decades, millions and potentially fatal for humanity.

The speech fits spot-on.

I am thankful for this work.

Altair78

Aug 21, 2010
And just when I thought "The Monster" wasn't going to be topped as my favorite song by the lovely Rebecca Mayes, she goes and proves me wrong. You and this song is, as the song mentioned, powerful and beyond excellent. Indeed so good I almost fear it, I will still be drawn to it like a human moth to a single flame made out of car crashes...

...I'm sure there's a few compliments in there somewhere.

Blayze2k

Dec 16, 2009
I dig'd this song on a lot of levels.
The percussion added a lot.
And the background melody was particularly good. Haunting. Good tone.
The subject matter was good too. I know it's been said, but these songs are always better when they don't relate as directly to video games.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
This. Not only was this a yawn-o-rama, I felt it came off as very pretentious :/

Tetranitrophenol

Apr 4, 2010
The song Ive liked the most so far!

still, im no music expert so I wouldn't know what is it but although the songs sound different they feel pretty much alike, i didn't felt that way with the Heavy Rain one so it might have something to do with anything you changed in that one in specific.

you got A+++ talent there!

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Well that was an amazing song that had nothing to do with the game at all. I used to listen to your songs because they were like a vocal game review, now I do not bother.

I clicked on this in hopes that you had played the game and would sing about it but after listening to this song I think that you have started just writing about the box art.

What happened to the plants versus zombies and Ghostbusters song days? Those kinds of songs are what made me listen to you. If I want to listen to someone make some form of veiled political statement I will go turn on PBS.

I do not think I will bother with your songs in the future, and that makes me sad.

MansonMat

Oct 13, 2010
wow this song is amazing!
is there any way that i could get this so i can put it on my ipod? plz help

sanguinator

Aug 23, 2010
an exquisite example of your musical prowess....but what did it have to do with halo reach?

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
I'm not going to TRY and flame/troll here so much as offer constructive criticism.

Like most of you, I was in love with Mayes when she did Sims 3, but shortly after I found myself asking "when's the next cool song?" as the songs started to all sound the same.

It wasn't long before I realized that all her songs were the same thing. A slow strumming on a few instruments in the same rhythmic tune with a single concept plucked from the entire game to be sung about.

When Mayes did her "how to write a song in an hour" thing I almost facepalmed as it made me feel that's the amount of time she spent on making these BEFORE she did that video.

So if Rebecca Mayes herself is reading this, please mix it up a little honey. There are hundreds of thousands of different musical genre's out there and so far you've covered like 3... Sims 3 was a musical extravaganza, Overlord was somewhat rocking and fun, and the rest have been bland strums of a guitar like the douchebag at college does when seducing a gal or how hippies sing about "taking care of ourselves" when obviously not bathing for months on end.

You're better than that Mayes, you've proven that before. Please, PLEASE, do that again?

Proyoginator

Mar 14, 2010
I must say, this song was very well written. I feel that she touches heavily on the topic of fate, using a questioning tone to wonder why that noble six was chosen to be so powerful. In the second verse she goes on to talk about, in my opinion, that simply trying to be someone else will get you no where. Everyone is meant to simply be able to be themselves.

richgfong

Apr 28, 2010
When I heard the lyrics, I knew they seemed familiar -- I just watched Invicitus two days ago. I haven't played Halo Reach, but it doesn't surprised me that some spartan soldiers, one called Master Chief, inspires you to write the song about leadership. You should see Invicticus, if you haven't already. It's a good movie in its own right.

FallenProject

Sep 16, 2010
It's a fanciful thought, but I don't think it's very realistic. The chance of you excelling at anything isn't too great to be honest. And if everyone shared the same ambition, then no one would be special and stand out, which sort of defeats the point of the determination.

Nice song tough.

Jun 16, 2010
FallenProject said:
if everyone shared the same ambition, then no one would be special and stand out
It's more like ambition and determination is what makes people stand out.

Frankly I'm more surprised that a hardcore hippie chick actually missed the opportunity to express some broad, oversimplified anti-war sentiments...

Mkvenner

Jun 12, 2010
Not much of a Halo fan but that didnt stop me from enjoying this none the less :)

Thank you

hamsteralliance

Sep 28, 2010
Dearest Rebecca,

I must inform you that I am not the Halo as I have it on good authority that Michael Cera is the Halo.

Good day,

- Hamst3r

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
Sounds good but I couldn't really identify with the lyrics. I don't know how they fit with the song and why would I ever wonder why I'm awesome?
I'm awesome because I say so

FreakyRO

Jan 29, 2009
Prof. Monkeypox said:
Help me out here, I haven't played the game, but what does this have to do with Halo?
ghii3 said:
No offense, but this seems to be similar to a lot of your songs - video games and a very, very, very vague theme of the game.
Haven't read all the posts but this seems to be an opinion that several people share.

Not to get too philosophical, but music and songs inspired by other mediums, i.e. games, movies, don't necessarily have to be about what inspired that song. How many times have you heard a song from a movie soundtrack and wondered how it related to the movie at all. Songwriting is very subjective and certain things that inspire one person to feel one way will inspire someone else to feel the exact opposite. If something inspires a feeling or an emotion, why can't a song be about that emotion or feeling?