Rebecca Mayes Muses: Halo Reach

Crypter

Jul 8, 2009
It's a strangely sombre but uplifting song, I'm not sure the lyrics reflects the game as heavily as some of your other works but getting to the core of any game that's about a cybernetic super-solider yeah, you are the power that moves everything forward you are great and capable of everything put before you. If anything the real world gives you more options not less to learn and grow to be more than you are now. Anyway enough babbling from me, nice work.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I think I must lack the lateral thinking ability to see the meaning behind these words, could someone help me?

It does sound very good, though.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I thought it was gorgeous. Quite possibly the best piece I have heard from you since you started on The Escapist.

I absolutely didn't like the schedule change for these songs, but if this is the quality we will be getting, then it is worth the wait.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
It sounds very good and has some strong provokative vocals, but I am not entirely sure what it means, the images have very little to do with Halo and I can't really tell if it's pro the game or not or if it's trying to make some kind of message.

Still, I did like the line:
"You are the Halo."
Because for some reason I can't help but feel there is poetry in that line in particular, even if I am not entirely sure what that is.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Ms. Mayes, I must compliment you on your work. You oftentimes take me to strange places that I was not at all expecting, but sometimes those strange places are wonderful, too.

Migratingchimp

Jun 7, 2010
By far the best song I've heard from you, in my opinion. I feel torn apart by the emotions it invokes. Beautiful and astounding.

Snowpact

He is the Walrus
Oct 15, 2008
This could very well be the best piece you've written so far for the Escapist. It's intriguing, inspiring and, in some way, positively haunting.

Very well done. Bravo!

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Whoa...this was ispired by Halo?

The song could easily stand on its own, I think.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Good song I suppose... wouldn't be a bad idea to try a new type of song, I've seen you make different ones, and I liked those ones better.

Still a good song, but branching out wouldn't be a bad idea.

Jalius

Jul 6, 2010
She didn't write the lyrics, they are from Marianne Williamson and were used in Nelson Mandela's inauguration speech.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
I am the weapon of mass destruction, meant to eradicate all sentient life in the galaxy?

Seems right.

Super Jamz

Apr 16, 2009
I liked it, a lot.

Quite a soft mood setting tune to help see the meaning in the lyrics, with those steady drums in the background keeping you through the song.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
A powerful message. And it'd great to see it's provoked such emotions from some of the posters. Can't ask much more from a creative piece.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I really like that message, I first hear it in a Samuel L Jackson movie where he coaches a basketball team.

I liked the song too but i feel that you're really trying to find side meanings and sing about games the less you can. I understand that the genre might feel to little after some time.