Rebecca Mayes Muses: Halo Reach

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Really good work, speaking as a someone who neglects Halo entirely, this manages to be a great song entirely without reference. Congrats on one of your best songs since RE5.

I'm a sucker for layered vocals.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
While I can't say I always enjoy the music here, the video usually is pretty interesting and so I'll watch it. This time, however, I felt the video was the weakest of any of her videos that I've watched. The images weren't of great quality and... I dunno, just weren't interesting to watch. About halfway through I just opened another window while I listened to the song. Now, the song I enjoyed! It's probably one of my favorites. However, I'm just curious - was there a time crunch or something for this video? Were you too busy playing to do an actual video? Just that this didn't seem up to the general quality of them.

Tadd

Jan 22, 2010
Blueruler182 said:
Oy... Okay, great music, good message if overdone, but what in the fuck does this have to do with Reach besides having Halo as it's title? I mean, Rebecca, you make good music, but I have yet to hear a song that doesn't just use the game's title as a jumping off point for some other message, completely diverting from the material you're dragging your audience in for. The exception is the hate message you sent Yahtzee, and that's, honestly, your best song because of it.

But, like I said, good song. If it wasn't supposed to be connected to Reach it would have been great.
I said it once and I'll say it again...

Where does a girl with a completely average voice and average look, go? Of course to a gaming website/forum; one that holds hordes of male geeks/nerds.. it is a piece of cake to generate a fanbase here. She has a passion for making music (and does it well in my opinion), so she writes a song, makes a passing reference to a gaming title, whacks it on the escapist, sits back and enjoys the compliments.

I'm not a fan, but I watch/listen, because I love the site. I don't suppose we have any budding males who would like to take a pop at writing some gaming related music? Let's see if it gets the same results.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
This is a VERY good one Rebecca.

For some odd reason it did speak to me inside.....strange.

Saioon

Aug 25, 2010
Beautiful song, liked it a lot.
Did any one else think it was about getting out away from the game and being good at being yourself rather than being in the game?

cthulhumythos

Aug 28, 2009
was interesting, not quite sure what it had to do with halo aside from the 4 images/video clips

but...still good.

Giandroid

Jun 15, 2010
I loved the song. Anything that makes me think about things more than I normally would is good in my books.
I don't quite feel the same about the slideshow-style presentation, though. I liked the intermittent graphics and such, but it still doesn't resonate quite so well as changing setpieces and costumes and brocoli.
But I suppose a girl's only got so much time on her hands...

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
I've previously said my liking of a Rebecca Mayes song has a lot to do with how much she likes a game. Apparently that isn't true. Apparently how much I like a Rebecca Mayes song depends on how good a flowing undertone the music has.

Becks, I really liked how this song can be added to the list of songs with multiple interpretations. I've yet to play Halo Reach, but I have heard how it places the player as a one of many and it is interesting to see your musical take on that.

Please keep up the good work.

Apr 28, 2008
I was afraid you got cancelled or something. Glad to see your still here :)

I'm not exactly sure what I heard. But I do know that it was absolutely fantastic. Great song, and shows why the Escapist keeps you. You have one hell of a talent.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
The music was fine, but those JPEG Artifacts were driving me crazy.

EDIT:
Tadd said:
Blueruler182 said:
Oy... Okay, great music, good message if overdone, but what in the fuck does this have to do with Reach besides having Halo as it's title? I mean, Rebecca, you make good music, but I have yet to hear a song that doesn't just use the game's title as a jumping off point for some other message, completely diverting from the material you're dragging your audience in for. The exception is the hate message you sent Yahtzee, and that's, honestly, your best song because of it.

But, like I said, good song. If it wasn't supposed to be connected to Reach it would have been great.
I said it once and I'll say it again...

Where does a girl with a completely average voice and average look, go? Of course to a gaming website/forum; one that holds hordes of male geeks/nerds.. it is a piece of cake to generate a fanbase here. She has a passion for making music (and does it well in my opinion), so she writes a song, makes a passing reference to a gaming title, whacks it on the escapist, sits back and enjoys the compliments.

I'm not a fan, but I watch/listen, because I love the site. I don't suppose we have any budding males who would like to take a pop at writing some gaming related music? Let's see if it gets the same results.
Have you heard of MiracleofSound?

Draksila

Feb 10, 2010
The speech was a thing of beauty, and the music you chose to put it to gives it an ethereal quality that helps the message. It is very reminiscent to me of Sarah McLachlan's take on the prayer of St. Francis. That said, though, I think this should have been released to the site on its own merits rather than trying to link it to Halo: Reach. The song doesn't really feel like a review of the game or an ode to the tragic backstory that it is trying to tell, and trying to force it into that shell takes away from the music's potency in my eyes.

In short, beautifully done... but don't try to shoehorn a piece into a specific mold just so it fits a preconceived notion for what music you should be trying to put on display here. Let it speak for itself.