Rebecca Mayes Muses: Halo Reach

The Journey

Jul 12, 2010
Snowpact said:
This could very well be the best piece you've written so far for the Escapist. It's intriguing, inspiring and, in some way, positively haunting.
I agree. Very, very good.

ghii3 said:
Three messages saying the same thing in a row ^
Bad sign, Rebbeca
I like the way you've conveniently missed all the positive responses. Voicing your opinion is one thing but placing yourself in a vocal minority or negative segment of the commenters and then claiming it to be a 'bad sign' is rather stupid.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Do not be afraid to be the greatest, it is through your light that other may be great.

Not a big fan of halo, but im a fan of heroes. Good song, rebecca

Wedlock49

May 5, 2010
Watched it. I actually enjoyed it a little bit... but only the parts from the speech, the parts that you added seemed pretentious.

Also, please stop trying to tie your songs into games, it's not working. I'd respect you a lot more if you did this off your own back rather than using the gaming culture as a spring board, especially when you take things from a game universe out of context.

The chorus didn't change very much, the second voice in the last run through altered it enough to make it bearable. the "YOOOOU" however broke flow and sounded fucking tortured, not something I would ever reccomend someone to do.

Also, the use of the images... I understand what you were going for, it's an art style that I appreciate, however it only works if you put a lot of effort into it, which you obviously didn't.

TL;DR
stop using games as a spring board.
work harder on making your lyrics flow.
put more overall effort into your work.
go for less shallow themes, I could find a hundred songs with the exact same meaning that weren't ripped from a Nelson Mandella speech.

JRShield

Dec 9, 2009
I'm sorry, but "you are the halo" doesn't make any sense, if this song is halo related. A halo is a big planet in the form of a, well halo. So the song is telling me I'm a big ring? You are the spartans would have made more sense.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Whenever I listen to the Muses videos it's like a mini self-help course. It's a good contrast to the other videos on Escapist, which can be negative.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Rebecca, one of your best yet. I don't know if it can topple my faves...but it did almost make me cry.

You know, I think one of the resistances to some of your work here is that you are quite often subtly (and sometimes not so subtly) critical of aspects of gamer culture. And I think people take umbrage. But...I think people sometimes miss the point. I mean, I see your critiques extending beyond gaming and to a larger culture of consumer capitalism. Also, I see you praising some of the desire to be heroic that video games also tie into.

Anyway, keep doing your thing, this song was excellent...and I'm looking forward to your new album!

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
a good song, and I'm sorry for being "that guy", but I really just can't spot what it has to do with Halo...at all.

And dammit Ms. Mayes, I was hoping to see you in a home-made spartan outfit!

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I've only seen a couple others besides this one. Picked a great one to tune in on.

The message of the song is a bit obscure. I pulled, you shouldn't hold yourself back from your full potential just to make others feel better because they can also be just as great.

I see a loose connection to Reach in this. I'd say instead of applying to Reach as a game this song applies to the entirety of what is happening in the game. The covenant's assault on Reach and the fact that most people who played this game already knew the outcome of the Reach conflict fits the somber, yet encouraging, feel of this song.

I would like to play the final mission of Reach to this song.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Was interesting, wasn't expecting the song to turn out the way it did. Sort of reminded me about the Modern Warfare 2 song for some reason which also turned out to be more about the people playing the game.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Nice song and I'm not afraid to ask - what is the link to Halo(Reach specifically) in this song?
I couldn't find anything besides some of the visuals and the "passenger side" lyric. Besides for that (and really that was a stretch) I couldn't see any relations what so ever.

Most things in that song could be applied to any game?
I'm just wondering because I'm hoping a title wasn't there to lure in people. I'd much prefer a song on something RM likes to play, even if it were some obscure old 2D Indy game or whatever rather than have a name of a game squished in to the title just fore popularities sake.