Rebecca Mayes Muses: Halo Reach

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
I didn't really get how all the images I just saw are connected to Halo. They seem so random, IMO. The song was interesting, I suppose. I think I'd prefer it without the vocals, since it seems to be going for that "chill-out" feel.

Wedlock49 said:
*thumbs up* Couldn't have worded it better.

S0nofKrypton

May 22, 2009
excellent job, Rebecca. furthermore, in the future, you should keep your videos in picture form like this one and/or have in-game footage rather than dressing up and filming yourself.....not to say that you're not beautiful. ;-)

Apr 17, 2009
Xombee said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Xombee said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Yet another ballad with a repetitive chorus...sigh...Whatever happened to wanting to try new things?
You are the halo you are the divine sung twice is repetitive? I don't think you know how to song.
It's said five times. Each time in the exact same way. I don't think you know how to count. Or spell
Yeah? You think I didn't write that on purpose? You're dense boy-o. I'd nit pic at your syntax and grammar too, but that's stupid and not on topic and only stupid and not on topic people do it.

Nothing wrong with a chorus that repeats itself, that's what choruses are. If there are small variations in a chorus, that's okey. If it's the same, that's fine too. I think you don't know how to song.
Yes, I do think you didn't do that on purpose, as your sudden change of gears into nitpicking and insults would suggest

A chorus of two lines that repeats itself over and over is a problem. It shows lack of imagination. "I couldn't be bothered coming up with something proper, so I'll just say the same few things repeatedly". Like that godawful Beiber song.
It doesn't help that this is in the exact same style as every other song she's ever done. I bet I could replace the lyrics and only one or two people would notice

Tadd

Jan 22, 2010
Also... seriously... stop giving me badges for watching 1,2,3,4 episodes of Rebbeca Mayes and give me ONE badge for watching ALL of Zero Punctuation episodes back-to-back 3-4 times!

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
If there's even a tenuous connection to the game beyond the occasional use of the Spartan in the graphics or the use of the word "Halo," I'm not seeing it.

However, this is actually quite a nice song. I enjoyed it thoroughly!

Death-of-Penguins

Mar 2, 2010
Wow. I think this has to come pretty high on my list of favourite songs you've done so far. Beautiful song, though perhaps I don't know enough about Halo to link it.
I do, however, know I want to listen to it again.

Phaerim

Sep 15, 2010
What kind of song is great, if you can't leave room for metaphorical interpretation. Yeah Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Muse would be such awesome music if you took everything they said literally.

Remember, music is subjective to the listener, and one might get one meaning, one another. People still haven't decided what Strawberry Fields Forever is about.

Having watched a couple of videos of Rebecca Mayse, I must say that some songs are too much "Bjork" and some are quite good. Especially loved her song about Call of Duty, Mass Effect 2, Silent Hill, the one about Zero Punctuation and this one in particular.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
I'd love to know your thought process behind the halo suit opening up and the girl from the "light" scene exiting. The lyrics seem to be admonishing us for spending so much time accepting a fake idea of our own greatness. Yet the image paired with it seemed to hint that we are missing the true brilliance of our own talents by truncating our growth from sitting and playing games too long. And coupled with gallaetha_matt's comment:

gallaetha_matt said:
I thought the line 'get in the driver's seat, get out of the passenger's seat,' was particularly clever. Nice little dual meaning there.
I am really thinking that was part of your message.

And it was lovely and haunting, yet this one seemed to actually move you with its story over frustrating mechanics. Did it truly move the muse to musing?

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Wow, that was a good song - only very slightly connected to Halo: Reach but good on its own merits anyways.

Zaph

Sep 20, 2008
Saioon said:
Did any one else think it was about getting out away from the game and being good at being yourself rather than being in the game?
Yeah, I thought that was sort of the point. A few of her songs have had this theme.
Thought it was strange no one else mentioned that. Not a especially pro-gamer message, I suppose? Not that it's uncalled for-- I dunno.
I like most of her songs, even though they are similiar. She's seem to be quite talented and sweet, maybe it's time to move on to write about other things, without having to find connections to games. She seems to be more of a hippie than a geek, so to speak. No disrespect!
Maybe I'm just a jerk.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I have to say I really like this song, and the fact that it was inspired by Halo:Reach. We all know (or ought to by this point in time) how that game ends. This song as well as the game aren't so much about winning, but are about giving it your all. No matter what. :) Great stuff Miss Mayes.

Umwerfer

Nov 3, 2008
It's not about Halo -.-'
JRShield said:
I'm sorry, but "you are the halo" doesn't make any sense, if this song is halo related. A halo is a big planet in the form of a, well halo. So the song is telling me I'm a big ring? You are the spartans would have made more sense.
Indeed either of those would make no sense. "halo"(as in the floating ring above your head) is a metaphor for something, though as with any excellent song, I've got no chance in hell at deciphering it first time hearing it :D

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
Gosh, there are so many really overly literal people on these boards. Scholar Richard Middleton discusses that the songs that have the most success and longevity are what he calls "undercoded." This means there is room for interpretation allowing more listeners to have a connection to the work. Overcoded songs are too literal and too obvious and don't generally stand the test of time.

Clearly, Ms. Mayes made a connection between playing Halo: Reach and the speech at Mandela's inauguration. This connection seems to be related to the musings (this is Mayes Muses, after all) that seem to be important to her: power (where we get it, what we do with it) in relation to violent games, the urge towards heroism, relationships to violence, where/how we get feelings of accomplishment.

Anyway, this song is about Halo. But it isn't about, "Oh, on this level this thing happens, let me put it in a song." It is more a meditation on Halo as a game and as a cultural and interpersonal phenomenon. And that is what makes the song art.

I think this particular song is of a piece with musings like: Modern Warfare, The Machine, The Mirror, and Overlord. Anyway, good job Ms. Mayes, I'm looking forward to the next installment.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
trooper6 said:
Gosh, there are so many really overly literal people on these boards. Scholar Richard Middleton discusses that the songs that have the most success and longevity are what he calls "undercoded." This means there is room for interpretation allowing more listeners to have a connection to the work. Overcoded songs are too literal and too obvious and don't generally stand the test of time.

Clearly, Ms. Mayes made a connection between playing Halo: Reach and the speech at Mandela's inauguration. This connection seems to be related to the musings (this is Mayes Muses, after all) that seem to be important to her: power (where we get it, what we do with it) in relation to violent games, the urge towards heroism, relationships to violence, where/how we get feelings of accomplishment.

Anyway, this song is about Halo. But it isn't about, "Oh, on this level this thing happens, let me put it in a song." It is more a meditation on Halo as a game and as a cultural and interpersonal phenomenon. And that is what makes the song art.

I think this particular song is of a piece with musings like: Modern Warfare, The Machine, The Mirror, and Overlord. Anyway, good job Ms. Mayes, I'm looking forward to the next installment.
Wow, I was just about to type out a long response to some of the comments here, when I see you've said the same thing, only better.

Damn ninjas!

Anyway, it's a good song. Keep it up!