Rebecca Mayes Muses: Halo Reach

Tetranitrophenol

Apr 4, 2010
The song Ive liked the most so far!

still, im no music expert so I wouldn't know what is it but although the songs sound different they feel pretty much alike, i didn't felt that way with the Heavy Rain one so it might have something to do with anything you changed in that one in specific.

you got A+++ talent there!

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Well that was an amazing song that had nothing to do with the game at all. I used to listen to your songs because they were like a vocal game review, now I do not bother.

I clicked on this in hopes that you had played the game and would sing about it but after listening to this song I think that you have started just writing about the box art.

What happened to the plants versus zombies and Ghostbusters song days? Those kinds of songs are what made me listen to you. If I want to listen to someone make some form of veiled political statement I will go turn on PBS.

I do not think I will bother with your songs in the future, and that makes me sad.

MansonMat

Oct 13, 2010
wow this song is amazing!
is there any way that i could get this so i can put it on my ipod? plz help

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
I'm not going to TRY and flame/troll here so much as offer constructive criticism.

Like most of you, I was in love with Mayes when she did Sims 3, but shortly after I found myself asking "when's the next cool song?" as the songs started to all sound the same.

It wasn't long before I realized that all her songs were the same thing. A slow strumming on a few instruments in the same rhythmic tune with a single concept plucked from the entire game to be sung about.

When Mayes did her "how to write a song in an hour" thing I almost facepalmed as it made me feel that's the amount of time she spent on making these BEFORE she did that video.

So if Rebecca Mayes herself is reading this, please mix it up a little honey. There are hundreds of thousands of different musical genre's out there and so far you've covered like 3... Sims 3 was a musical extravaganza, Overlord was somewhat rocking and fun, and the rest have been bland strums of a guitar like the douchebag at college does when seducing a gal or how hippies sing about "taking care of ourselves" when obviously not bathing for months on end.

You're better than that Mayes, you've proven that before. Please, PLEASE, do that again?

Proyoginator

Mar 14, 2010
I must say, this song was very well written. I feel that she touches heavily on the topic of fate, using a questioning tone to wonder why that noble six was chosen to be so powerful. In the second verse she goes on to talk about, in my opinion, that simply trying to be someone else will get you no where. Everyone is meant to simply be able to be themselves.

richgfong

Apr 28, 2010
When I heard the lyrics, I knew they seemed familiar -- I just watched Invicitus two days ago. I haven't played Halo Reach, but it doesn't surprised me that some spartan soldiers, one called Master Chief, inspires you to write the song about leadership. You should see Invicticus, if you haven't already. It's a good movie in its own right.

FallenProject

Sep 16, 2010
It's a fanciful thought, but I don't think it's very realistic. The chance of you excelling at anything isn't too great to be honest. And if everyone shared the same ambition, then no one would be special and stand out, which sort of defeats the point of the determination.

Nice song tough.

Jun 16, 2010
FallenProject said:
if everyone shared the same ambition, then no one would be special and stand out
It's more like ambition and determination is what makes people stand out.

Frankly I'm more surprised that a hardcore hippie chick actually missed the opportunity to express some broad, oversimplified anti-war sentiments...

Mkvenner

Jun 12, 2010
Not much of a Halo fan but that didnt stop me from enjoying this none the less :)

Thank you

hamsteralliance

Sep 28, 2010
Dearest Rebecca,

I must inform you that I am not the Halo as I have it on good authority that Michael Cera is the Halo.

Good day,

- Hamst3r

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
Sounds good but I couldn't really identify with the lyrics. I don't know how they fit with the song and why would I ever wonder why I'm awesome?
I'm awesome because I say so

FreakyRO

Jan 29, 2009
Prof. Monkeypox said:
Help me out here, I haven't played the game, but what does this have to do with Halo?
ghii3 said:
No offense, but this seems to be similar to a lot of your songs - video games and a very, very, very vague theme of the game.
Haven't read all the posts but this seems to be an opinion that several people share.

Not to get too philosophical, but music and songs inspired by other mediums, i.e. games, movies, don't necessarily have to be about what inspired that song. How many times have you heard a song from a movie soundtrack and wondered how it related to the movie at all. Songwriting is very subjective and certain things that inspire one person to feel one way will inspire someone else to feel the exact opposite. If something inspires a feeling or an emotion, why can't a song be about that emotion or feeling?