Rebecca Mayes Muses: Heavy Rain

Continuity

May 20, 2010
that's uh, pretty damn awesome.

I'm blown away actually. The first minute of the track really grabbed my attention, almost industrial electro - sweet! then it gets progressively more dance, it works but I think that's a shame.
Anyway I'm sold, I'll definitely be checking out more of your work.

Ignore the naysayers btw its very good :) though I have to say not having played the game I probably don't get it on that level.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
The song was a bit more experimental than I'm used to, but he experimenting seems to yield interesting results.

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
I found the video slightly creepy, which I thought was interesting. I think the song added to the overall atmosphere. It reminded me a bit of a staging I saw of "A Dreamplay" here in Durham. All in all I thought it was very good and very different to your normal fare, thanks for trying something new! :)

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
That was... sexy.

Great song - really loved it! And the album is downloading to my iPod right now! I'm so glad the wait is over! Squee!

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
That was a very unique and artistic style you presented.

I personally don't grasp the entire meaning of the lyrics...I have not played the game. However, I get the impression that its about the emotional and psycological journey of finding ones loved one and ones own self. I enjoyed the oddly eerie feel of the music mixed with humanity. Not sure if I am accurate with that, but its the impression I got.

Anyways, thankyou very much for trying out a different sound with your music. And also...you looked very lovely. :)

liquidus118

Jul 22, 2009
I gotta admit, I didn't get it at all (Until I read her post in reply to someone on the first page).

I like the idea - the message you were trying to make with this song, but I feel you could have expressed this a little differently, as doing it this way went over most people's heads (Mine included).

And as other people have said you have a great voice; don't drown it out with the music :)

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
I really enjoyed the song. I like the funky groove matched with the sort of experimental structure and sounds and slightly acid jazz vocals. Reminded me a bit of Portishead. That's a great thing, imo. I find myself listening to the song over and over...though...I think I should really listen with headphones...I suspect there are some really neat things going on with the stereo mix.

Hold on, let me plug in my headphones...

Wow, I was right. That is pretty amazing once you put the headphones on. Really good stuff. Probably one of my favorites so far. Everybody who hasn't done already should listen again with headphones.

As for the visuals. Hey, you've got some awesome modern interpretive dance moves--big ups! I suppose I should comment on the armpit hair right? Rock on! My mom was a hippy. So, I find shaven armpits a bit disconcerting, to be honest. I don't see why female beauty ideals should included looking prepubescent.

Anyway, I support you in your creativity. (Already bought both your albums and love them)

Oh! And I want you to know that you've inspired me to get back to composing. Though I have to do a bit of writing first and I want to diversify my banjo technique...

But support to you!

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Took me awhile to get it, but I liked it :)

Although the video seemed more on the lines of Bayonetta then Heavy Rain XD

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
It did start out a little creepy, kind of silence of the lambs creepy...
"She rubs the mud on her skin, she does this whenever she feels like it."
I wasn't very shocked by the unshaven armpits, didn't notice until it was pointed out.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Uh... the second I saw the default image for this link I immediately had a good idea of the comments people have said or are going to say.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Rebecca Mayes said:
No one has mentioned the armpit hair yet.
I was expecting some kind of outcry.
Over here in Canada, it's not a big deal. I'm guessing it isn't in America either. Maybe Australia, maybe not.

If it's just an England thing, then maybe that's why no one has said anything.

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
As I said earlier I thought it was a pretty amazing song and video, but I do agree with some of the comments that say it would have been nice to see subtitles again. :)

Gulandro

Sep 4, 2009
It was shocking in the good way and sexy in the better. The song was quite scary like a Xenophobe song. I missed the real rain from the pics, but I guess you cant make one, however tried to dance it closer. :D

littlewilly91

Oct 17, 2008
Come on guys no one trying to achieve something likes to be told they've got a nice bum by an anonymous on the internet.

Interesting mix of constructive criticism and perversion in these posts, but atleast most everyone seem to be well meaning.

Draws up the argument over whether guys can/should control their balls and essentially eliminate them from existence when they are not needed. I haven't made up my mind yet. I think if some of the audience perceive erotic overtones in it you can't blame them for it as that would only be elitist, and I don't think that's what your about. Anyway, If they just spend all the time in videos having the hots for you, it's their loss. So establish an audience using tight fitting clothes then when you want to really take them places wear baggy unnatractive jumpers? Ah, gray areas.

Would Yahtzee do a piece where he strips down to say, a too-small Roman Centurion outfit and turn out to have a wonderful singing voice and dance technique for Girl Gamer? We can only hope so. I can see why you've got the hots for him (if I was bi I guess it would be him, then Eddie Izzard then Charlie Brooker then Gabe Newell) but celebs don't date mad fans do they, so take it easy. Angle to meet the guy for collaborations or whatever and hold no preconceptions about his personality. Worked for me and Peter Mandelson, but a few other crushes turned out to be too short/not as manipulative as I had previously suspected. Peter is more on my levels. But I digress. That's my advice- otherwise you may become to Yahtzee what Boxxy is to 4chan.

Also I'm not sure if people are confusing experimental with plain abstract. I personally prefer the ones where you tie your thread in closer with the game, give it some context. It's still impressive for a week's work and creative and productive and everything, but I'm not sure if you really met your ambitions with this one. Did you really want to weird people out?

I thought I caught a look that was a little non commital in your eyes. Had to wonder; was that supposed to represent love and nature (which felt like it clashed with the Heavy Rain footage- & btw I like most of the audience haven't played it... Maybe we'll keep an eye out for such overtones when we get round to it) Or was it just a woman reluctantly covering her self in mud? Do people reluctantly cover themselves with Love in Heavy Rain? It's thought provoking stuff.

Finally I'm not sure the idea of not buying anything especially for your art makes it any better. Unless your worried about the environment? This one could really have done with a blue screen so at the start you'd be against a proper black background instead of a garage, and maybe a lens filter so the footage has the same color quality as heavy rain. That would have been amazing. As it stands your medium is limiting you, like Vivian Stanshall was limited, to not be taken seriously by the actual hordes of Art people you'd next like to reach.

I am amazed by your work, specifically by how musical tributes to the wonderful world of eclectic, obscure and beautiful games can entertain even non-gamers like my mother. Make them want to play. Is quite an accomplishment. Nay, a real inspiration. When you pull it off XD

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I liked the bit at the end with the cows. They were adorable. That said, cows can be terrifying.

Good job though, a little hard to hear yeah, but it was neat. :3

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Great song. A bit on the dark side, but I love it when artists get experimental.

Also, I have to say, I was so desperately resisting the urge to fap to this...because that would be rude.......

Great song.