Rebecca Mayes Muses: Heavy Rain

DaBozz

May 27, 2009
Rebecca Mayes said:
Grand_Pamplemousse said:
Archangel357 said:
My fiancée is a trained singer, and she adores Rebecca. So much for your theory, then.
What?

Well my dad is a better trained singer than your fiancée, and he thinks she sucks.

Look guys, just look at how in almost every single one of her 'songs' she gets loads of comments saying

"ATTRACTIV YEH, TOTALLLY WOULD :D:D:D:D:D:D"

In fact the post above me (from dex-dex) pretty much sums up what I want to say, nobody is looking for her pretentious bull-shit, all they see is her unitard.

Why did she have to explain what she was trying to show us? Because her message is shit, and the way she portrays her message isn't particularly clear.

Why do people keep saying they can't hear her, and then say what a great singer she is?

Buh, I dunno, probably being too harsh but y'know, at least she is better than 50 cent or something.
What you say makes me feel sad, but I'm glad you brought it up. Women are panned for being attractive and panned for not being attractive. I feel your anger at the idea that a woman would use her appearance to be loved/achieve fame. My music, my appearance and who I am are pretty interlinked. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

To be honest I didn't think you would like the outfit, the armpit hair or the mud. My boobs were squashed into oblivion and I danced like no one was watching. I had mud in my mouth and I smelt like a pond. When I was making the vid a guy turned up in a van with a parcel for me. I was in the garage. When I appeared, with leaves in my hair from the garage floor, he laughed at me for maybe ten minutes. Great! I thought. I look ridiculous.

I had the outfit from a ballet show I did when I was 11years old. Just found it a few days earlier amongst my old stuff. Was pretty excited. I make a point of not buying costumes but just finding what I can find, or making it, so this was gold.

Ok the charger on my laptop's just blown peeps and I'm out of battery in five seconds, it's been nice chatting with you, three seconds, and I like hearing your volatile views, two, bye
Bah, don't even bother justifying yourself to that troll rebecca, you are a great artist and all though I might not always understand your message, I understand your love for music.
your costume was amazing I loved it a lot (and not for sexual reasons) the dancing was fun to watch, and I really enjoyed the music. keep up the good work and ignore people like this.

and PS, for me arm hair is no big deal, like you said on your blog its natural.
that said, I can't bare unshaven legs on women if you danced around in a mini-skirt with unshaved legs I would probably cry.

datatroll

Nov 28, 2009
That was different.
You looked good, obviously. I think some of the comments you are finding crop up have a lot to do with the fan base you have picked up in the States. In huge swaths of the world, what you were doing is pretty tame from a vaguely sexual standpoint. Over here it would get a PG-13 rating all by it's lonesome. It boils down to the reality of growing up in a country that was originally largely settled by people that had to leave the Catholic church because they were so anally retentive about their religion that the Pope picked on them, and has since become a place that feels like something is out of place if we aren't at war with somebody. To one degree or another a large part of the population fears the opposite sex and worships violence.

/shrug.
I am sure to get hate for that, but oh well. I guess I may get to live up to my moniker without actually trying today.

-Datatroll.

PS: My favorites of yours or "Bionic Commando" and "Overlord 2." I am sure they weren't your favorites to make, but I loved the beat and instrumentals/sounds in those.
Just saying. :)

NickIsCool

Nov 18, 2009
...i think i love you

and also, i want to have your babies

OT: the song had a different feel to it then the others

and what happened to the subtitles that used to be there?

liked it anyways

and like everyone is sayin "nice costume"

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
I loved the vibe of the music, and I agree that, without the subtitle lyrics it was harder in this song to really hear and understand the lyrics, but perhaps that's what Rebecca was going for. The game itself tries to convey the emotions, to evoke some feeling in us, but doesn't quite achieve it. It feels like forced emotion for the wrong reasons. So in the song, the lyrics are there, but you have to force yourself to listen out for them over the rest of the medium.

Maybe. Least that's how I choose to interpret it.

And while (I can say this and not feel bad because I am a girl only judging myself), I choose to dislike armpit hair, I have no feelings on others and what they wish to do. In fact, before you mentioned it, Rebecca, I didn't even notice! Was only when I knew what to look for, did I actually notice it. Props for defiance of norms!

Awesome song.

datatroll

Nov 28, 2009
Sober Thal....

Wow. Don't get me wrong, I occasionally go off the deep myself, I came by my online tag honestly. But I usually have a reason. You are spitting venom because free, weekly, produced with a shoestring budget entertainment didn't live up to your expectations.

I am... I am both disgusted with your existence and in absolute awe of the size of your ego.
Since I nibble myself sometimes, I know not to feed the Trolls, so will be logging now. Consider this a light snack to sate that monstrous ego of yours. I can't be letting a fellow Troll starve, even if he is something of unreasonable piss ant.

3_of_8

Mar 18, 2009
Sober Thal said:
Mud rubbing, and flat vocals, make the world go stop.

Sorry they didn't make a real song, they just had a fake Tori wannabe song.

They + that girl who has no real job cept putting video game words into simple non produced songs, get fanboy love because titles mean more than content.

Best of luck to all you fanboy juke box lovers out there! Best of luck in your real world!

It is ok that most of you fail in the cute girl that mentions video games in all of her songs part of this site.

You obviously have a better thought out opinion than I do.
I think you have made your point. About four times on the last two pages. We get it. You don't like the songs. You look down on those who do. No need to repeat it endlessly. I'd appreciate it if you could just accept that tastes differ and not hold other people in contempt for liking things that you don't like, but if you cannot do that, could you at least stop your insults?

leeloodallasmultipass

THE Fifth Element
Mar 23, 2009
Rebecca Mayes said:
No one has mentioned the armpit hair yet.
I was expecting some kind of outcry.
To be Honest i noticed it straight away, as it is not something you see regularly in mainstream media/society. but as for the outcry part, it doesnt phase me at all. the appearance of a person means little to me. everyone is entitled to walk about this earth as they please. I see people for the persons they are underneath, stripped bare to thier personalities and how they carry themselfs about in dialogue and convosation.

Rebecca Mayes said:
To be honest I didn't think you would like the outfit, the armpit hair or the mud. My boobs were squashed into oblivion and I danced like no one was watching. I had mud in my mouth and I smelt like a pond. When I was making the vid a guy turned up in a van with a parcel for me. I was in the garage. When I appeared, with leaves in my hair from the garage floor, he laughed at me for maybe ten minutes. Great! I thought. I look ridiculous.
Ahh i love it =D
i bet the postman had a smile all day.

Its the so called "flaws" you mentioned that allows me to relate to your messages in your songs/videos. You come across as a gritty down to earth real person/artist, so frequently mainstream media presents us with a manufactured image of people/artist that seem completely unrelatable and to be honest with music which absolutley sucks, because it is about as manufactured and fake as you can get.

I love your videos and your accent because i grew up in the Dorset Countryside.( I moved to Australia 5 years ago) i admit its not exactly where you live. but its a County or two away =) Your videos allow me to remember my childhood growing up on 25 acres of countryside surrounded by farmers corn fields and the local River (The River Avon - Celtic Translation of Avon is River =D, so effectievely it is the River River =D) winding down at the bottom of the property.

Your videos allow me to revist my home and remember how i used to love wandering into the forest/fields and just being one with nature, watching the wildlife and clouds go by. which brings a warm fuzzy feeling to me each time hehe. Also your accent reminds me of the people in the area and thier love for live and the earth around them. i Really miss it sometimes. and your videos allow me to reminiss the good ole days =)

So Rebecca... keep on flashing those armpits, living life how you want to, challenging the norm and making people umcomfortable both in real life and on these forums. Its your life, noone else can tell you otherwise.

Also its why i love you and your work so much =D

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Sober Thal said:

They + that girl who has no real job cept putting video game words into simple non produced songs, get fanboy love because titles mean more than content.

Best of luck to all you fanboy juke box lovers out there! Best of luck in your real world!

It is ok that most of you fail in the cute girl that mentions video games in all of her songs part of this site.

not everyone will have a mature enough palate to appreciate this i guess.

ninjaman 420

Feb 18, 2009
How odd. I seen a friend of mine playing heavy rain for the first time tonight, and then come home and Rebecca has a video for it. Ive had something of a crush on this girl since the first time I saw her, and I was VERY PLEASED when she was just dancing in the beginning, but her in the mud... omg... I wish i lived in the U.K.

(i could be mistaken, but i think shes from the U.K.)

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
That was... different. I liked the part where she actually sang and the lyrics were possible to make out.

XIV

Mar 1, 2010
I wanted to point out the fact that sleeveless costumes work best with clean-shaven armpits, but you put that down yourself.

Also it's odd to me that you object to people who call this video sexualised when it so obviously is. I don't know where you got the inspiration, but that Gaga woman instantly came to mind when I saw this. Skin-tight outfits + electronic sounds + the mud = sexualisation. If that wasn't your intention and someone else wrote the script for this video, you should fire him/her. Even a sleeved skin-tight costume would've made it less prominent. I don't want to be a traditionalist and say you shouldn't be allowed to make a sensual clip, but you can't in all honesty deny doing it.

I haven't read all the comments, but one thing that also struck me is that I don't really see any connection between the gameplay footage shown (or indeed the entire game) and your own contributions. It might be in the lyrics, but as noted before they weren't audible.

Your previous posts were loads better, giving off more of the vibe of the games in question and adding your own views on it.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
ಠ_ಠ
I...I dunno. I just can't get into this kinda stuff. As an artistic video project..maybe.

If going for a more ethereal personification of the game, kinda like (I cannot find the album I am looking for, it was a sort of personification of the sins and virtues, and had a choral, orchestral feeling to it. Its album looked swirly reddish, and I swear it was titled 'Levitas.' Help me out, this is drivin' me nuts).

ANYways,this is sort of peaceful, and interesting. But watching it being applied to Arkham Asylum and MW2 and such...maybe she should focus on a different medium.
Grand_Pamplemousse said:
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of songs down the line she'll say:

"Hey! I'm untalented but all you lonely internet guys like me because I wear tight-fitting clothes!"
While a little harsh, this is pretty much summing up my thoughts. I'm not the one to say what is and isn't art, but I sure hate this stuff.

lacktheknack said:
Rebecca Mayes said:
No one has mentioned the armpit hair yet.
I was expecting some kind of outcry.
I'm guessing it isn't [a big deal] in America either.
nooooooooooooo, no no no. That's a deal-breaker for quite a few guys here. Bless the open-minded ones, but I will HINT HEAVILY at shaving if ever I find myself in that position.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
DAMMIT, double post. ummmmmm...peanut butter jelly time? http://icons.iconator.com/435/ICONATOR_a4e9064721d3f4a66d113172f5f2c57a.gif

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Sober Thal said:

I'm not trying to flame here, but was one post really not enough space for you to vent your bile? Did you really need two seperate posts? :S