Rebecca Mayes Muses: How to Write a Song in One Hour

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
How to Write a Song in One Hour

Rebecca wrote you a song, in only one hour!

The Epic Win is now available worldwide on iTunes and is available in her website store! [http://rebeccamayes.com/store.html]

Be sure to join Rebecca Mayes Muses Facebook Fan Page here [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rebecca-Mayes-Muses/179343599672].

Watch Video

CrazyBerk

Jul 1, 2008
That was some good stuff, i enjoyed it. Probably quite a lot of guitar players on the escapist who appreciated that like me.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
can you answer my question how do get the phone to stand up straight a recorde yourself. wont it just fall (unless your phone has a flat bottem)

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Really enjoyed this video :]

For some reason the song(s) gave me goosebumps, which is quite a feat seeing as it's boiling in my room right now.

Also, don't mind a little bit of cheese ;]

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I would love to write a song. But I have two major issues. 1) I'm not very poetic. and 2) I can't play a musical instrument. Any musical instrument.

Also from this video it's clear that you have an immense talent for music and writing songs. And that is something very few people are privileged with.

And thank you for that lovely song. ^^ I'm really looking forward to next weeks "controversial song".

EDIT: But those two issues aren't going to stop me from trying...

Remigus

Jul 23, 2009
Thank you Rebecca! I was just done fiddling with my own guitar when I saw you. You made me pick it up again and try to get a little more out of it than random notes. It's been quite long ago since i wrote something cohesive. Your video made me remember how difficult but also how beautiful and forfilling the craft of songwriting is.

Big hug from the Netherlands

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
i really enjoyed this episode.
good luck with the Yatzhee song, i'm sure it's goanna be great.

p.s
it's too bad i can't use these instructions, the only insturmant i know to play is the Clarinet, and you can't sing while playing it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ohhhh! Actually pretty insightful! Epic!

And gl with Yahtzee!

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
I was wondering what I would see upon reading the title.

Love it! Always enjoy seeing an artist's work procedure.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
Phenom828 said:
I would love to write a song. But I have two major issues. 1) I'm not very poetic. and 2) I can't play a musical instrument. Any musical instrument.
i to suffer front hose problems
the closest thing to an instrument is a recorder and it can get bent (also i melted it down into a wad of plastic after grade six)
i could maybe do a silly video to pair with your music

also can't wait for the Yahtzee's song( i hope that is not the name of it)

Mar 9, 2009
HOLY CRAP. That is, almost word for word, exactly how I write songs. Like The whole bit about just coming up with something basic, and then just singing random words till you find something you like, that is exactly, what I do. And thats just plain awesome.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Phenom828 said:
I feel the same, I fear if I did write something it would be so horrible i'd have to hide my face away from public forever, or get a contract on disney.

Still I think the escapist is very lucky to have such a talented person posting videos here. Chances are i'll eventually buy the cd when I next have money.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
*laughs* Thank you very much for the song! I loved it - made me laugh. The 25th, eh? Day before my birthday, so nice timing. ;) I look forward to it!

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Let's get one thing straight. I don't particularly like "Rebecca May's muses". But this title got me thinking, since I always seem to cock up whenever I get an idea. I might have to jot stuff down or tape it, that's actually a really good idea...

I liked this video, since it shows the dedication behind the 3 minute videos that make it online.

Good luck on writing on Yahtzee, not sure if his psyche can be caught in 3 minutes though...

Banana Phone Man

May 19, 2009
I like these videos of yours that show us all a little of what you do to do what you do. Normally I see stuff behind the scenes and i think to myself "I wanted to watch the show not this" but yours are funny but not too much so it can still be taken seriously, interesting and informative all at the same time.

Good luck on your song for Yahtzee. I hear he is quite a tough critic to please. :p

Maquette

Robot Oeuf
Sep 10, 2009
Awww, that video was adorable! Such a QT3.14159265358979. I always look forward to your new videos, it's one of my favourite series on the site.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
zombie711 said:
can you answer my question how do get the phone to stand up straight a recorde yourself. wont it just fall (unless your phone has a flat bottem)
I suggest propping it up against a book or somting with an item of clothing underneath. but yer the first 30secs of footage will generally be you scuffling around and swearing.

Thanks for all the well wishes for Yahtzee song!

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
That was cool.
The pondering in the lyrics reminds me of back when I was a youth on AOL chat rooms.
At the beginning it was very "A/S/L".

I fancy your voice though and the guitar was kind of Firefly-ish. Asian and Anglo at the same time.

Thanks! Cheers!

lior13

Jul 21, 2009
nice one really helpd me creat an song
that one thing you sayd abut not censoren my self really helpd i mean really really hepld me thank you vrey much

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
That was very cool. I enjoyed the tips on how to write the music, and the part about being ourselves definitely holds true... Although I really haven't ever written a song, I have written poetry in the slam style and often I'll find that I have this wonderful idea to start but then the idea transforms as it gets translated from my brain to my pen, so I imagine that writing a song is similar... it won't be quite the same as I had intended but something of it will still be there...

On Topic-ish: Do you accept instrumental uploads? I can play, but I cannot sing. Or, at least, I wouldn't want to put my voice up on the net. I'd rather have the guitar strings do the speaking and leave my own weary chords alone.

Oh, right, and I wanted to mention that I loved the lowered bass note that occurred about halfway through the song, but that could be because I just love that sound in general.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Being true...having fun..isn't this the basis for most great works of art?

I feel it is. Nice little song for all of us Rebecca, We'll be looking forward to the dayview of Yahtzee's song.

L1gh7Sp33d

Apr 15, 2009
Reminded me somewhat of Dear Prudence by the Beatles.

If it's true you came up with that in an hour, that's very impressive.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
AquaAscension said:
On Topic-ish: Do you accept instrumental uploads? I can play, but I cannot sing. Or, at least, I wouldn't want to put my voice up on the net. I'd rather have the guitar strings do the speaking and leave my own weary chords alone.
Yes please

Firmanter said:
I've written my song! I just can't work out where to put it :(, does anyone know?
Go to my website here http://rebeccamayes.com/gallery.html and click on send a fanmail. Yay! Can't wait to hear it.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
If i would write something it probably wouldn't be very good...
I only really play electric guitar, and i am still a newb (so i know my powerchords but thats all for now)...
But if i think about creating a song for Yahtzee i would make it as fast as possible, no punctuation in the lyrics...

robakerson

Feb 19, 2010
Very cool video.
I've always envied good musical artists.

Not much else to say :\
This was fantastic! ^.^

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
You are probaly the only musican for me to charm me with your open spirit and send shivers down my spine at the same time. Really love how you are and write your songs, your voice is superb. I already have your album!

A-Heart-Of-Gold

Apr 25, 2010
Thank you for this video you have inspired me to start writing songs again!

This is amazing and I will start writing tomorrow! And will post it as soon as I can!

You have always inspired me to do things that I wouldn't do like starting making music videos and learn to play the piano again!

Can't wait for the song for Yahtzee!

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
well first of all - you're welcome! :p
You managed the last fret afterall, well done ;)
Also, I'm gonna say it: this video was full of.. epic win :p

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Excellent video Rebecca!
It's inspired me to get back into song writing again, something I really enjoy doing when the inspiration takes me.
I'm sure we will hear the beautiful sound of escapists writing ditties floating across the air for the next few weeks.
Fantastic.

HvD

Lord of Dragons
Apr 16, 2009
I think it would be fun to write a song. Too bad I stopped playing any instrument at all after junior high and I can't sing to save my life. The best I could do is write a poem, which I suppose is the lyrics to a song, but it's still missing the melody which is what makes it a song....nuts

Best of luck with your Yahtzee song!

D-Mc-G

Nov 17, 2009
I can identify the way you write songs here, I personally just do guitar instrumentals but I usually experiment with different tunings as well. Lyrics would definitely make the process a lot harder, so I'm very impressed with what you came up with :)

It's always very easy to fall into the trap of doing the same-ish way of picking/strumming patterns so I always try to aim for a different feel with each song.

Anyway great video, may consider trying out this competition although again I wouldn't be able to sing the lyrics D:

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Chimaera said:
That was sweet, and fun to watch! :)
Hi stranger with almost the same name.

I agree with your comments. The video was quite pleasant.

Gulandro

Sep 4, 2009
How sweet wonder you are ... thinking about us in this song or tutorial. It's a big relief you didn't like Okami, or else I would spend my life with you (kidding). :D So liked it, looking forward for the next one, hopefully about Yahtzee.

Metallgoth

Mar 16, 2010
Your music is incredible! I wish I knew how to play the guitar, or had any musical talent. Also, apparently, I'm currently drunk enough to think that her blue shirt was pixelation, at first.

senorcromas

Sep 24, 2009
Hey, that song thing sounds sorta fun... maybe I'll give it a shot.

It's... probably mostly going to consist of mixcraft loops and some vocals, as my keyboard seems to be out of whack at the moment...

Also, great video.

AllLagNoFrag

Jun 7, 2010
Wow, I fail at composing songs. My creative juices just do not work in composing for some reason.

Awesome song composing, nice 24 theme and all that whilst having fun! Good job!

docbox1567

Nov 10, 2009
I have a Yahtzee idea. Yahtzee is renowned for only playing the single player portion of the game and not the multiplayer. He is, metaphorically speaking, alone fighting his battles solo in a frightened and confused world. What if you did a song that implored him not go out all alone and that you could be right there by his side saving world; sort of like "It Takes Two" from Into the Woods by Sondheim. The deep connection you two have is in gaming and not matter how far you may be from each other you can always be together online. : )

Juven Ignus

Sep 10, 2009
I shall write a recorder song! In Haiku form!

Thanks for the tips Rebecca! Though I doubt being myself in a song will get a girl to like me...

*Wrist Slit*

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Juven Ignus said:

Thanks for the tips Rebecca! Though I doubt being myself in a song will get a girl to like me...
Bring on the revolution Juven Ignus! I like you for being yourself saying that just now. Why would you be you unless the universe needed you to be you for some special reason which is a mystery that's unfolding every moment you walk through this dimension?

Here is a secret just for you: women love authenticity. A man who is not hiding is ten times more attractive than a man who is hiding behind good looks, brains, confidence, humour, money, status, what-ever-the-fook-identity-he-has-created-in-order-to-hide-from-not-feeling-good-enough. We all feel not good enough. I have been amazed at how much self-hatred/insecurity the most confident-seeming people have revealed to me in secret. Women don't want a relationship with someone else's ego, they want to connect to someone who is real and who isn't afraid of how real they are.

Oh.

You set me off.

Here endeth Rebecca Mayes sermon.

Looking forward to your haiku recorder song.

Juven Ignus

Sep 10, 2009
Rebecca Mayes said:
Juven Ignus said:

Bring on the revolution Juven Ignus! I like you for being yourself saying that just now. Why would you be you unless the universe needed you to be you for some special reason which is a mystery that's unfolding every moment you walk through this dimension?

Here is a secret just for you: women love authenticity. A man who is not hiding is ten times more attractive than a man who is hiding behind good looks, brains, confidence, humour, money, status, what-ever-the-fook-identity-he-has-created-in-order-to-hide-from-not-feeling-good-enough. We all feel not good enough. I have been amazed at how much self-hatred/insecurity the most confident-seeming people have revealed to me in secret. Women don't want a relationship with someone else's ego, they want to connect to someone who is real and who isn't afraid of how real they are.

Oh.

You set me off.

Here endeth Rebecca Mayes sermon.

Looking forward to your haiku recorder song.
Wow, you just blew my mind Rebecca. Morale +100

Thanks for that tip, I'm sure it'll help when I get back in school. I fancy myself a confident guy and I never try and be someone I'm not, but the fear of rejection always gets to me. Perhaps this advice will change that. I solemnly swear to ask her out the first day of school! (She left the country for summer D: )

I can't wait to get started on that song either. I just need to find my recorder, and some artistic vibe. Is there a time limit for that you have for entries? And where do I turn my song in?

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
What have you done, Rebecca?

There's a popular phrase for when you give people free creative reign over songmaking. It's called XFactor, and that ISN'T a good show.

Mind you, I would like to reiterate what Phenom828 said about wanting to do but having NO musical talent whatsoever, besides being able to sing Tom Jones rather well.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
I must admit that I don't always like your songs. But seeing your lovely face and your creative clips always makes it worth watching. Thanks.

Rorschach II

Mar 11, 2009
I really enjoyed this. :)
I normally stuggle to write songs but you make it seem so easy. Thanks for all the advice I will put it to use. :)

Miew

Mar 4, 2010
The songs I've heard from her certainly do sound like they were written in about an hour.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
number eight *burp* number height *burp*...

I might remotely write but i can't play or sing (i can try singing but i couldn't play if i tried) i don't think i have the time to though :/

Thanks for the song

I'm not fond of that yathzee song

flowplayer

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I appreciated the songwriting tips...and the song aswell ^-^
looking forward to the song for Yahtzee :)

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
Wow... how weird. I almost started to cry and I'm not sure why.
It was a trully beatifull song.

Ishadus

Apr 3, 2010
Mumorpuger said:
That made me "Awwwwwww!"

I totally internets-crushing right now.
lol I'm glad I'm not the only one rapidly developing a crush on this woman. Just something about the sound of her voice combined with a sweet, genuine, down to Earth nature that holds me in rapture. I've released a little sigh or two after some of the videos :p

I wish my musical talent extended past Rock Band :p I have poetic talent, so I'm sure much of the stuff I write could be extended to songs. However, I loathe the sound of my voice, and haven't played an instrument since the french horn in high school. Learning something like the violin, viola, or cello is on my extensive list of "things to do" however.

One day!

Der Mudda

Nov 10, 2009
Nice video Rebecca,and good luck with reaching the hardened heart of Yahtzee. I've known him for 27 years - he was such a nice chap until the hormones kicked in!

You could incorporate something along the lines of Monty Python's Life of Brian - "he's been a very naughty boy" as he seldom gets in touch.

Perhaps with our west country magic we can charm him back to the old country, if only to open another Mana Bar.

stretchyman1

Clerik Von Baron Isenhoures Cake
Feb 10, 2009
Karloff said:
*laughs* Thank you very much for the song! I loved it - made me laugh. The 25th, eh? Day before my birthday, so nice timing. ;) I look forward to it!
Its a month and a day from mine :) The first song creeped me out a bit xD Can't wait for the Yahtzee song!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Its nicer when you have a song dedicated to you (in a way). Great video!
I would love to make a song for you, but, i can't sing D:

Looking forwards to the Yahtzee vid ;)

Haderos

Dec 4, 2009
Distorted Stu said:
I would love to make a song for you, but, i can't sing D:
Everybody can sing, it mostly just doesn't sound good at all ;D.

I wish I could at least play the guitar at all, I started learning it about 2 weeks ago (self teaching probably isn't the smartest way to go about that...). Playing single cords isn't even that difficult.. but thinking of a way to get a melody out of it :/..

Anyway, liked the song, a bit cheesy yea ;p, but still very nice, especially considering that it was done within an hour.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I don't know how you do it, but watching your videos always makes me feel better after a long day.
I really enjoyed watching this, your finished songs make it all look so effortless for you! That said, you really are talented :D

Cannot wait for you to release the Yahtzee song!
But please.... do take your time :)

lukeator

Nov 17, 2009
That was a nice wee look in to your process, I enjoyed watching this. Cheers. Nice fireplace by the way. :)

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
My fingers itch. I want to be holding the honest wood of an old guitar across my lap and strum its strings until the itching subsides.

I've never played guitar before. But I want to. I want to expand my horizons. Find new ways to express myself outside of prose, rants and blogging.

You're an inspiration and a beautiful soul, and I thank you for sharing that with us. With me.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
This video has got me wondering.
How does Miss Mayes bring home the bacon enought to support her music career?

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
Really enjoyable video and I loved the song that you put together at the end. Unfortunately I've not played an instrument properly since I was about 10, but I can still just about do Christmas Carols on a keyboard or piano, roll on December!

Henrik Oserud

Mar 7, 2010
Great "tutorial" though I don't play any instruments. I also noticed that you have a very feline looks, which was peculiar yet very beautiful in my eyes (that was a compliment, I'm not good at giving them:) ) looking forward to the Yahtzee song. As always you have a beautiful voice and amazing talents, keep up the good work :)

Alias42

Sep 10, 2009
The guitar "riff" sounds exactly like the intro of Harmony Korine by Steven Wilson :p

Nice video

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
I'd really like to hear a song by you were you get a little angry, or delve into some of the harder emotions. Most of you songs are very contemplative or empathic but I would love to see how you deal with hurt or rage or something like that.

nick n stuff

Nov 19, 2009
i know what i'm doing tomorrow...buying capos. never thought of of using more than one, i like it alot

Weaverish

May 23, 2010
Thank you for being there, it felt quite sweet.
You made my day today, although we'll never meet.

merelymortal

Jun 14, 2010
That was fantastic, I find I appreciate your singing voice all the more for knowing your talking voice.

Quite a beautiful transformation.

Very fun process to watch.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Have you ever tried to bring out your British accent while singing? Many of us living in North America appreciate hearing European accents. :D

naruhodo

Jun 18, 2010
It still boggles my mind that a random, new-to-gaming, wonderful musician decided to reach out to this crazy community of gamers of all things.

But I'm so glad you did!

Marble Dragon

Mar 11, 2009
I am, as well as many other posters, quite excited to hear your song for Yahtzee.

I would love to write a song for you, Rebecca, but I have absolutely no experience in songwriting, and I can't play guitar to save my life. I guess I could write a song for the French horn, but I'm afraid that the ghosts of horn players past will come and haunt my dreams. Besides, I also can't sing to save my life, and while I would love to have a pretty voice, I don't. Although...your video got me thinking...hmm......

lior13

Jul 21, 2009
what if i dont own a guitar cus i own a bass and i love way more then any guitar

destiaer

Jun 26, 2010
This really got me wishing to take guitar lessons. I guess I'll just have to stick with poetry for now, eh? :D

MildPsychedelic

May 8, 2010
I want to try and tune my guitar to an Ostrich Guitar tuning and see what that sounds like, i'm just afraid it'll take me hours to get it back again to standard.

purplekush

Sep 2, 2010
I just made an account on the Ecapist in hopes that you could read this and know that I was very touched by this particular video.
It was very inspiring!

Billkwando

Oct 8, 2008
That was a great Rebecca video. She has such a sweet voice, both singing and speaking. I originally found her cos of the Hotel Dusk song, so it's all the more fitting that this song reminds me of that. *clap clap clap*