Rebecca Mayes Muses: How to Write a Song in One Hour

Maquette

Robot Oeuf
Sep 10, 2009
Awww, that video was adorable! Such a QT3.14159265358979. I always look forward to your new videos, it's one of my favourite series on the site.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
zombie711 said:
can you answer my question how do get the phone to stand up straight a recorde yourself. wont it just fall (unless your phone has a flat bottem)
I suggest propping it up against a book or somting with an item of clothing underneath. but yer the first 30secs of footage will generally be you scuffling around and swearing.

Thanks for all the well wishes for Yahtzee song!

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
That was cool.
The pondering in the lyrics reminds me of back when I was a youth on AOL chat rooms.
At the beginning it was very "A/S/L".

I fancy your voice though and the guitar was kind of Firefly-ish. Asian and Anglo at the same time.

Thanks! Cheers!

lior13

Jul 21, 2009
nice one really helpd me creat an song
that one thing you sayd abut not censoren my self really helpd i mean really really hepld me thank you vrey much

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
That was very cool. I enjoyed the tips on how to write the music, and the part about being ourselves definitely holds true... Although I really haven't ever written a song, I have written poetry in the slam style and often I'll find that I have this wonderful idea to start but then the idea transforms as it gets translated from my brain to my pen, so I imagine that writing a song is similar... it won't be quite the same as I had intended but something of it will still be there...

On Topic-ish: Do you accept instrumental uploads? I can play, but I cannot sing. Or, at least, I wouldn't want to put my voice up on the net. I'd rather have the guitar strings do the speaking and leave my own weary chords alone.

Oh, right, and I wanted to mention that I loved the lowered bass note that occurred about halfway through the song, but that could be because I just love that sound in general.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Being true...having fun..isn't this the basis for most great works of art?

I feel it is. Nice little song for all of us Rebecca, We'll be looking forward to the dayview of Yahtzee's song.

L1gh7Sp33d

Apr 15, 2009
Reminded me somewhat of Dear Prudence by the Beatles.

If it's true you came up with that in an hour, that's very impressive.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
AquaAscension said:
On Topic-ish: Do you accept instrumental uploads? I can play, but I cannot sing. Or, at least, I wouldn't want to put my voice up on the net. I'd rather have the guitar strings do the speaking and leave my own weary chords alone.
Yes please

Firmanter said:
I've written my song! I just can't work out where to put it :(, does anyone know?
Go to my website here http://rebeccamayes.com/gallery.html and click on send a fanmail. Yay! Can't wait to hear it.

robakerson

Feb 19, 2010
Very cool video.
I've always envied good musical artists.

Not much else to say :\
This was fantastic! ^.^

A-Heart-Of-Gold

Apr 25, 2010
Thank you for this video you have inspired me to start writing songs again!

This is amazing and I will start writing tomorrow! And will post it as soon as I can!

You have always inspired me to do things that I wouldn't do like starting making music videos and learn to play the piano again!

Can't wait for the song for Yahtzee!

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
well first of all - you're welcome! :p
You managed the last fret afterall, well done ;)
Also, I'm gonna say it: this video was full of.. epic win :p

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Excellent video Rebecca!
It's inspired me to get back into song writing again, something I really enjoy doing when the inspiration takes me.
I'm sure we will hear the beautiful sound of escapists writing ditties floating across the air for the next few weeks.
Fantastic.

HvD

Lord of Dragons
Apr 16, 2009
I think it would be fun to write a song. Too bad I stopped playing any instrument at all after junior high and I can't sing to save my life. The best I could do is write a poem, which I suppose is the lyrics to a song, but it's still missing the melody which is what makes it a song....nuts

Best of luck with your Yahtzee song!