Rebecca Mayes Muses: How to Write a Song in One Hour

D-Mc-G

Nov 17, 2009
I can identify the way you write songs here, I personally just do guitar instrumentals but I usually experiment with different tunings as well. Lyrics would definitely make the process a lot harder, so I'm very impressed with what you came up with :)

It's always very easy to fall into the trap of doing the same-ish way of picking/strumming patterns so I always try to aim for a different feel with each song.

Anyway great video, may consider trying out this competition although again I wouldn't be able to sing the lyrics D:

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
Chimaera said:
That was sweet, and fun to watch! :)
Hi stranger with almost the same name.

I agree with your comments. The video was quite pleasant.

Gulandro

Sep 4, 2009
How sweet wonder you are ... thinking about us in this song or tutorial. It's a big relief you didn't like Okami, or else I would spend my life with you (kidding). :D So liked it, looking forward for the next one, hopefully about Yahtzee.

Metallgoth

Mar 16, 2010
Your music is incredible! I wish I knew how to play the guitar, or had any musical talent. Also, apparently, I'm currently drunk enough to think that her blue shirt was pixelation, at first.

senorcromas

Sep 24, 2009
Hey, that song thing sounds sorta fun... maybe I'll give it a shot.

It's... probably mostly going to consist of mixcraft loops and some vocals, as my keyboard seems to be out of whack at the moment...

Also, great video.

AllLagNoFrag

Jun 7, 2010
Wow, I fail at composing songs. My creative juices just do not work in composing for some reason.

Awesome song composing, nice 24 theme and all that whilst having fun! Good job!

docbox1567

Nov 10, 2009
I have a Yahtzee idea. Yahtzee is renowned for only playing the single player portion of the game and not the multiplayer. He is, metaphorically speaking, alone fighting his battles solo in a frightened and confused world. What if you did a song that implored him not go out all alone and that you could be right there by his side saving world; sort of like "It Takes Two" from Into the Woods by Sondheim. The deep connection you two have is in gaming and not matter how far you may be from each other you can always be together online. : )

Juven Ignus

Sep 10, 2009
I shall write a recorder song! In Haiku form!

Thanks for the tips Rebecca! Though I doubt being myself in a song will get a girl to like me...

*Wrist Slit*

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Juven Ignus said:

Thanks for the tips Rebecca! Though I doubt being myself in a song will get a girl to like me...
Bring on the revolution Juven Ignus! I like you for being yourself saying that just now. Why would you be you unless the universe needed you to be you for some special reason which is a mystery that's unfolding every moment you walk through this dimension?

Here is a secret just for you: women love authenticity. A man who is not hiding is ten times more attractive than a man who is hiding behind good looks, brains, confidence, humour, money, status, what-ever-the-fook-identity-he-has-created-in-order-to-hide-from-not-feeling-good-enough. We all feel not good enough. I have been amazed at how much self-hatred/insecurity the most confident-seeming people have revealed to me in secret. Women don't want a relationship with someone else's ego, they want to connect to someone who is real and who isn't afraid of how real they are.

Oh.

You set me off.

Here endeth Rebecca Mayes sermon.

Looking forward to your haiku recorder song.

Juven Ignus

Sep 10, 2009
Rebecca Mayes said:
Juven Ignus said:

Bring on the revolution Juven Ignus! I like you for being yourself saying that just now. Why would you be you unless the universe needed you to be you for some special reason which is a mystery that's unfolding every moment you walk through this dimension?

Here is a secret just for you: women love authenticity. A man who is not hiding is ten times more attractive than a man who is hiding behind good looks, brains, confidence, humour, money, status, what-ever-the-fook-identity-he-has-created-in-order-to-hide-from-not-feeling-good-enough. We all feel not good enough. I have been amazed at how much self-hatred/insecurity the most confident-seeming people have revealed to me in secret. Women don't want a relationship with someone else's ego, they want to connect to someone who is real and who isn't afraid of how real they are.

Oh.

You set me off.

Here endeth Rebecca Mayes sermon.

Looking forward to your haiku recorder song.
Wow, you just blew my mind Rebecca. Morale +100

Thanks for that tip, I'm sure it'll help when I get back in school. I fancy myself a confident guy and I never try and be someone I'm not, but the fear of rejection always gets to me. Perhaps this advice will change that. I solemnly swear to ask her out the first day of school! (She left the country for summer D: )

I can't wait to get started on that song either. I just need to find my recorder, and some artistic vibe. Is there a time limit for that you have for entries? And where do I turn my song in?

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
What have you done, Rebecca?

There's a popular phrase for when you give people free creative reign over songmaking. It's called XFactor, and that ISN'T a good show.

Mind you, I would like to reiterate what Phenom828 said about wanting to do but having NO musical talent whatsoever, besides being able to sing Tom Jones rather well.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
I must admit that I don't always like your songs. But seeing your lovely face and your creative clips always makes it worth watching. Thanks.

Rorschach II

Mar 11, 2009
I really enjoyed this. :)
I normally stuggle to write songs but you make it seem so easy. Thanks for all the advice I will put it to use. :)

Miew

Mar 4, 2010
The songs I've heard from her certainly do sound like they were written in about an hour.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
number eight *burp* number height *burp*...

I might remotely write but i can't play or sing (i can try singing but i couldn't play if i tried) i don't think i have the time to though :/

Thanks for the song

I'm not fond of that yathzee song

flowplayer

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
I appreciated the songwriting tips...and the song aswell ^-^
looking forward to the song for Yahtzee :)