Rebecca Mayes Muses: Overlord 2

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
Why does evryone bash Overlord 2?

I found it pretty decent/good on the PC.

Didn't like the song that much anyways. :[

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
Hey... I really liked Overlord, and Overlord 2 managed to improve on it a fair bit, although it also made some parts worse at the same time, I will admit. It's a fresh game idea, compared to the inundation of shooters and JRPGs that have been smothering the game market these days. True, neither Overlord or its sequel port well at ALL to PC, but they're still great fun on the console. And the original one had me laughing the whole way through.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
LOL I guess you didnt like it?

I had fun with it, but it needed more cleavage!

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
"Even has the same set of armour" .....?!?

So...I guess that's what made Halo so terrible, Master Chief should have changed his suit.

Song was ok I guess...but the points made were a bit rubbish.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Ha! so was not expecting heavy metal, considering your other work, You pulled it off well, but I think the lyrics aren't as good as your usual stuff.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I prefer the happier songs. This didn't really do much for me.
TimTImNL said:
I saw a dutch flag on your tent are you dutch ????
She's English, or at least lives here.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I liked this song. The bit about having the same set of armor was pretty neat. I haven't played Overlord 2 yet, but I thought you were a different Overlord, so having the same armor didn't make much sense.

Anyway, nice job, looking forward to the next one.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
So, that's what it sounds like when Ms Mayes rocks out.

I like it very much.

TimTImNL said:
I saw a dutch flag on your tent are you dutch ????
Pretty sure that was a manufacturer's logo, not a Dutch flag. And it says in the bit of text right under the video that she's from England.

RyePunk

Dec 5, 2008
So now she's musically reviewing games? Um okay... sure.
I did enjoy the guitar in the song, pretty awesome.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I like the change is musical style in this case making this one of the better songs...

BUT the points made not much. First off blue minions can ride mounts )being one of multiple new features), the minions are supposed to mad, I don't notice anyone complaining when the characters look the same in all those AAA games and if you think the controls are bad you just can't play the game right.

I know it's just a satirical jab in song but meh. Yahtzee did a better job.

NOTE: The game was developed in the Netherlands IE Dutch.

Deity1986

Jul 29, 2009
lol, good to see the songs becoming proper piss takes. Nicely done.
Not sure what the parts of the video in the fields had to do with the song (except when wearing the helmet and that obviously, but the rope swing?).

I've never been a big fan of RMM, but I like this and I'll certainly catch the next one :)

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
RyePunk said:
All of her songs are reviewing games...

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I absolutely loved it. This was more my style and the riffs were pretty brutal. This is now my favorite.

Dartinin

Apr 14, 2009
i get the feeling she dose not like overlord 2 lol ive been keeping up with all her ...reviews so far and i do have to admit what she dose in original lol

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Hah, this is pretty damn ironic that I'm one of the few who sticks up for her every other week because I genuinely like it, and now the people who don't usually like it are raving this time and love it while I don't think it's quite as good as previous weeks. Russian Reversal with a twist :)

Seriously though, it's still pretty good. All along I've liked each video and I think that Rebecca has done better every fortnight, but the Worms acapella one was her best so far IMO. This week it's just not quite as good, the metal was great and all but I'm not really a metal fan, and the lyris definitely weren't as good as previous songs. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it. It's just I think it was below the standard set by previous songs, especially my personal favourite, Worms Armageddon. Keep it up though Rebecca, it's still a great series :D

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I do strongly approve of the heavy metal theme for this Rebecca Mayes Muses. I do not approve of Rebecca taking a metaphoric piss on a game or gamers who play it. Yahtzee gets away with it because he is reviewing and because deep down we know he loves gaming and wants to see the genera improve. I don't get a similar vibe from this song, or for that matter the last few songs.

Perhaps my expectations are out of line from reality, but when some one takes the time to compose, perform, and record a piece of music, I hope it is about something they like or at least feel strongly about. In this case the overarching theme of "Overlord 2 sucks and its players are creepy" could be better discussed as "Overlord 2 has failed my expectations and I am offended by its pandering to the baser elements of gaming culture".

I love songs about games and other aspects of nerd culture. MC Frontalot and the whole Nerdcore hiphop being a prime example (and I don't usually like hiphop). I see in Rebecca Mayes Muses the potential for enjoyable music. However thus far her output has been hit and miss.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
This is the only song I've liked more than 'The Sims 3' but...aren't you just a wee bit late to the party?

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Kuliani said:
RyePunk said:
All of her songs are reviewing games...
I dunno, some of them don't seem very 'reviewish' tbh.
For instance, you don't actually learn anything about this game really other than 'she doesn't like it', comparing this to some of the text based reviews in the review section.
If this was written down there, it would be laughed out as a rant.

I get the idea, I personally think she's going the wrong way about it.

hamster mk 4 said:
I don't quite get where you're comin from with your first paragraph in all honesty, reviewers don't have to want to see the medium improve. It doesn't make them any less of a reviewer because of it.
So whether Yahtzee wants to see games improves and Miss Mayes doesn't shouldn't really become an issue.

I do agree with the second paragraph though, this song was a cheap dig at people. I would ask her if people who read Conan the Barbarian equally as sad for living out fantasies that way.
It was a little insulting, now excuse me whilst I go play Aion and go save people because 'I have no power of my own'.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
I liked it, even though I'm not for metal in any way. It's not one of your best, but still quite good in my opinion. At least you're trying something different, although I wouldn't mind another song like Bionic Commando. That one was wicked.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Best one so fur, I just loved it. I liked everything about it.

Just one comment. the black evil cape and evil crown/helmet thingy don't go well with a pretty light blue dress, maybe it was on purpose and I didn't get why. But it kind of messed up the all "evil" point.

Other than that,
excellent work, keep it up!!!

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Wizzie said:
*snip*
hamster mk 4 said:
I don't quite get where you're comin from with your first paragraph in all honesty, reviewers don't have to want to see the medium improve. It doesn't make them any less of a reviewer because of it.
So whether Yahtzee wants to see games improves and Miss Mayes doesn't shouldn't really become an issue.
*snip*

Good reviewing is not just saying weather something is bad or good, it is saying why that thing is bad or good. Maybe even going into what could have been done to make it better. With the exception of a brief blurb about robotic controls and the game not improving on its predecessor she does not really answer the question of why.

I am reading that all these songs are "reviews" and if they are, then I have to say all these songs are pretty bad reviews. I am often no wiser about the game after watching the video than I am before. In the case of the worms review I feel she even did the game a disservice by focusing on the competitive nature as opposed to the cookery fun.

I feel that a negative review and music just don't go well together. I am not saying that Miss Mays should like every game she plays but, she should not sing about the ones she doesn't like. I would rather her give a happy tribute to a game 5-10 years old that she really loved than gripe the latest new release.

As for weather or not Miss Mays wants Gaming to improve that is a big issue. If she doesn't then she is just trying to earn popularity by riding gaming's coat tales in popular culture. However I believe she does, and that is why I go on these long tirades every time one of her videos disappoints me.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
hamster mk 4 said:
Epic snipz =D
I agree with your opening statement, good reviewing is exactly how you described yet I mentioned in the prior post although not directed at you that her lyrics make some songs seem less like reviews, if not at all.

I really don't think this idea is particually doable or sensical, musical reviews sound good on paper but are lacking in practice.
I personally feel they should be done more like a minstral would right a song, telling a tale rather than this tiresome verse, chorus, verse, chorus, has that Miss Mayes is doing.
She has taken the review and added it to popular style of music which doesn't bring positive results from what I can see.

Negative or positive reviews can work just as well as one another, if the delivery is correct in this instance I feel it is not.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Interesting genre switch. Not sure I liked the growling chorus, but overall it worked. Bravo for trying new styles just about every week. You might not pull them off perfectly, but it's brave and you at least do a passable job at each musical genre so far. Keep perfecting your art.

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Another fun one, although the instruments drowned out the lyrics sometimes (though I suppose with metal, that's the point).

Personally, I love the idea of a cross between a music video and a game review. It's fun and innovative. It's just a shame that so many gamers live to diss anything new or creative, let alone something like this which obviously takes a lot of work--playing the game, writing the song, recording, mixing, filming and editing the video... all done once a week? I can understand why some folks won't dig all the songs, but geez, people, at least appreciate that something like this is frakkin' hard to do.

ghostsprite9

Dec 1, 2008
ThePirateMan said:

Yeah i know i personally loved it it had its faults but it was good.

But i enjoyed the song. :)

Maldeus

Mar 24, 2009
Why would you want to take over a virtual world? Clearly you're just fantasizing about world domination because you can't have any REAL power, right? A real Overlordly type would be founding a corporation or going into politics or throwing a coup in a third world country!

Half-Life? What're you doing fighting aliens in a virtual dystopia when you could be sneaking into North Korea to overthrow a real live one?

Grand Theft Auto? Why would you want to live a life of crime in a virtual knock-off of LA when there's a real one just a plane ticket away?

Ooh, here's a classic one, why waste time learning Guitar Hero when you could spend that time learning an actual guitar and trying to be a famous rock star, because we all know THAT works out well for everyone who tries it!

Rebecca Mayes, the point of your chorus was that video games are for losers who play out their fantasies instead of living them. I think maybe you're on the wrong website.

The_General

Sep 13, 2008
First the absolutely piece of sh*t Worms song, and now THIS? The bar-o-meter is falling fast enough to be warning a tornado.

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
Maldeus said:
Rebecca Mayes, the point of your chorus was that video games are for losers who play out their fantasies instead of living them. I think maybe you're on the wrong website.
I think that's an odd interpretation. She says "why would you want to take over a world that's small boring and pointless". To me that says the world in the game is not fun, and that you, hence, don't want to conquer it.

How you got from that "video games are for losers who play out their fantasies instead of living them." is beyond me.

WithHisHat

May 27, 2009
Air Guitar for the win! Defiantly different and experimental which is always great to see. I'm glad I am not the only one who can't stand the Overlord games too.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
DeathQuaker said:
Another fun one, although the instruments drowned out the lyrics sometimes (though I suppose with metal, that's the point).

Personally, I love the idea of a cross between a music video and a game review. It's fun and innovative. It's just a shame that so many gamers live to diss anything new or creative, let alone something like this which obviously takes a lot of work--playing the game, writing the song, recording, mixing, filming and editing the video... all done once a week? I can understand why some folks won't dig all the songs, but geez, people, at least appreciate that something like this is frakkin' hard to do.
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a gamer and I don't hate things that are innovative and new. And yes, it is difficult for a small group of people to create a song and video review every 2 weeks. But that does not mean you shouldn't heavily criticize the final product.

As for this video, I can't really say much about it at the moment. I only watched a small part of it before it stopped loading and I can't get it to load again.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
ThePirateMan said:

Same. Im actually playing Overlord 2 again right now to do the Destruction line. I very much enjoy it and I also dont understand why people think its terrible. It has flaws but they're not incredibly horrible.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
DeathQuaker said:

Well, I can see that you did not read the comments in all the other "Rebecca Mayes muses" where people where talking on and on about what you just said, most of them explaining that she doesn't work hard, others saying:" who cares?". if you want to know just read the comments in the other videos

JaneDoe

Aug 28, 2009
I haven't been the biggest fan of the last few weeks posts, however, this week I found rather it amusing. In a good way! Funnier lyrics, and I couldn't help but to chortle at the gruff rock voice section.
T'was quite good!

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Just a question,
Why is Rebecca yet to review a game that she did like?

All the reviews are on games that she says (through a song) that she hates. It can't be that different, can it? For her to review a game she likes

Unlike zero punctuation, saying a game is good here won't ruin the entire point of the video, so why not give it a try?

MadeinHell

Jun 18, 2009
The song is true. The game is just as the first one pretty boring and repetitive. Other than few moments of laughter its not really worth the price tag. Both games had the potential but didn't really rise up to it :/.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I loved that game, only yahtzee can tell me that my favorite games are terrible

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
I enjoyed this a LOT more than her other videos to be honest. I'm glad she switched things up, and I'm actually excited for the next song. Plus I never would've expected the 'growly' type vocals from her, completely surprised me!

Thank you Rebecca :)

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I must admit this is the first Of the Rebecca Mayes Musesseries I have actually really enjoyed. Really a lot better than the generic poppy-ness of the others.

Ellivader

Sep 20, 2009
The Overlord series is a love-it-or-hate-it thing. I have a friend who adores it, who foams at the mouth about it. I have the original sat on my desk opposite me now and just thinking about trying to get any further with it fills me with dread.

I enjoyed the song except for the growly-bit, like others have pointed out.

Vect

Jul 22, 2009
While I am one of those who liked the game, I won't start a potential flame war or something defending it. I will say this however...

She does have quite the production values for these music game review thingies.

Issue13

Jan 30, 2008
This is the first one of her vids that I watched all the way through. They're getting better. Looking forward to the next one.

"mount animals" hehe

Maldeus

Mar 24, 2009
Macar said:
Maldeus said:
I think that's an odd interpretation. She says "why would you want to take over a world that's small boring and pointless". To me that says the world in the game is not fun, and that you, hence, don't want to conquer it.

How you got from that "video games are for losers who play out their fantasies instead of living them." is beyond me.
"Why would you want to take over a world when you've been given permission to be uncontrolled." Which is kind of the POINT. The game wants you to be evil, in the same sense as other games want you to be heroic, criminal, or, in the bizarre case of the Sims, perfectly ordinary. This is the game for everyone who's ever dreamed of leading their Legion of Evil to pillage, plunder, and rape the world but never had the chance. She contends that this is not a good reason to play a game, even though it is basically the same reason as a significant chunk of the gamer demographic plays any game EVER.

I liked the first Overlord game, both because the minion mechanic was new and, more importantly, because it made me feel like a malicious and evil Overlord who was hellbent on world domination and wasn't going to be thwarted by anyone or anything, a fantasy which I don't think is healthy for me to keep inside when I could act it out virtually and which I don't think would be healthy for anyone caught in the crossfire if I actually, physically went for it. I don't see any reason to believe the second game will fail to serve the same purpose.

As for her complaints about the saminess between the two games, the world being small and boring, etc. etc. Well, fair enough, but I never did mind saminess and the game world's still big enough to be fun. It's the bit quoted above, as well as the bit at the beginning, that irritate me, though.

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
sorry but you still suck. Look one of the most important thing for anyone who sings is that we can hear what your saying. You fail at it.

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
The_General said:
First the absolutely piece of sh*t Worms song, and now THIS? The bar-o-meter is falling fast enough to be warning a tornado.
Thank you, that's exactly what I said before. It's just not entertaining, not good, and you can't even understand half the things she sings.

thevileangel

Aug 24, 2009
She's obviously trying to lay her review out on the line for those who can't understand the poetic reviews. I respect her for listening to what people want, but I don't think she had to dumb it down. Screw the haters. I love everything she's done so far. Her and her peeps have talent and I hope they get discoverd and make it big. I agree with her review of the game too.

And yeah... sexy/crazy/beautiful cookie monster vocals!

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
I didn't write anything on Worms one but I wouldn't forgive myself If I didn't do it again.

It has few similar chours but I wasn't never really bother by that as for I could listen to similar song on the same album and wait a year for the artist to change or improve when the next album arives :)

I wanted to sugest digitaly changing your voice, but what came out here is a little disturbing - it's like listening to animation when you can hear someone turning off and on the mic between each recording. It's a good way to go, but you're not quite there yet. (I'll be working on recording something soon and then I know myself from experiance how hard it is XD).

I'm not sure If I suggested this before but putting youself in the game as a background or to interact with the character - I know it's hard but you could try to pull it off. You could just use some random screenshot and put youself with your friends cosplaying :)

Overally I enjoyed it pretty much except when psycho voice is on - it's cool but disturbing.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Uurgh, remember when music used to be good, and then metal came along, and dumbed it down to make it accesible to all the morons that can't understand good chillout songs? Next she'll be putting in hints and tips!

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Sigh I skipped through this one. Why is it that all the clips of the game are of uninteresting things. Not good or bad just boring or unimportant. Her lyrics don't amuse me and I dont really get the impression shes seriously played any of these games. Hense the questionable clips. Again Ghostbusters song and video were great. IT had a kinda point to it. None since.

outcast_within

Apr 24, 2009
I'm the first to rag on you, but this actually had a direction!
The song was a game review (a clear one, which in part comes from hating a game, much better source than liking a game), the type of song fits the game, and the why would you want to play a game do you have no power of your own had a nice edge. Though to be fair why do you play games, to do stuff you normally won't do.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Okay, so I finally watched the video.

What was the point of this? As far as a review goes, this was terrible. You made about 2 legitimate complaints about the game: there's no new content and the controls are robotic (though she didn't even explain that one). That is hardly enough content to be called a review.

barguest

Aug 31, 2009
i like overlord and overlord 2 and iv seen a few songs by Rebecca and the only 2 words that sums them up are EPIC FAIL! don't like them at all to be honest =/

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
I approve of your non-stop variation, but your voice and style really don't go well with heavy metal.

Lady K

Apr 16, 2009
At last something a bit more gritty sounding. I'd like to see more electric guitars in the future, but I miss the calibur of lyrics from The Sims. That one was my favorite

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
well, the style of music isn't my type for this song tbh (I preferred the melodies of the other ones), but as a review I felt your opinion upon the game was much clearer. Thankies :)

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
I absolutely like the music shown and played in here, althougth i am not such a fan of heavy metal, but this is more cause i never had a real interest in it than that i don't like it.

And that is the only reason why i like your other songs here on the escapist more.

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
This is actually my favourite video of hers so far. This song is good enough to go on my MP3 player.
That's not to say her other songs are bad, though. The Worms and Sims songs were great too.

TimbukTurnip

Jan 3, 2009
I liked the music in this video, but it still had the problem of not being able to hear a bloody thing she says. I have to watch the subtitles all the time, which you dont normally have to do with a song, nor do they normally show them.

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
I don't mind the switch over to making fun of the game, but putting down people who might actually enjoy it seems in poor taste. Although I will say I'm just glad she's finally trying something musically different, so, praise jeebus for that.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Anyone else suddenly get the feeling that Video Game Theatre wasnt actually all that bad.

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
OH COME ON. Last weeks was pretty good, but it has gone down again.

Still, the second best so far...

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Nmil-ek said:
Anyone else suddenly get the feeling that Video Game Theatre wasnt actually all that bad.
At least they had that awesome theme song!

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Never took the time before to comment, but it seems to me this series is steadily growing worse week to week. im mainly a rock/metal fan but found the first 2 vids somewhat interesting and musically decent. since then however things have taken a bad turn. this in particular a boring and messy guitar line, indisinct lyrics (seriously whoever mixes your recordings needs a hearing aid. the chorus was almost totally drowned out by the guitar riff)

Heftig

Sep 10, 2008
I really want to like her for all the effort she puts into these, I really am trying to give them a chance but I can't seem to get off the damn fence. I guess I'm just waiting for that one song that either makes me hate her or that one that turns me into a drooling fanboy. Keep up the good work. :)

Apr 28, 2008
Not exactly my musical genre of choice, it was still a decent video, but not as good as the others.

Still, props for trying something differant, keep 'em coming.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
i liked the music.
the points made are dumb. except for their aim is to say that all (kinds of) games [and i'm not talking about computer/video games only, but any kind of game] are basically crap, since they are abstract forms of living fantasies.
what point is there in hide and seek? playing with toy cars, dolls, ANYthing?

or maybe it's meant to be stirical. but then i didn't get it.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Great, this is the second one of your songs I found to be really good, and not just because it was refreshing that you made a metal song, the melody was great. It seems to me that overworld is the game that escapist magazine love to trash.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
WaderiAAA said:
Great, this is the second one of your songs I found to be really good, and not just because it was refreshing that you made a metal song, the melody was great. It seems to me that overworld is the game that escapist magazine love to trash.
first off, its OVERLORD. O-V-E-R-L-O-R-D. if your gonna badtalk a game, at least get its name right. second, people bash it because its a love it or hate it game. its a niche game not meant for everyone. third, we love to bash halo, not overlord.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
It's amusing to read people rant about how something isn't good anymore after a single instance of variation.

BTW, maybe my definitions are a bit off, but I wouldn't really call that heavy metal. Don't ask me why.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I like your voice in Metal. Seems a bit more fitting, but that's not to say I don't like your others. And spot on with how flat the game is.

kuie13

Sep 27, 2009
between this video and the worms video i'm really wondering why anyone would want to watch these videos. reviewing games (most of which) have already been reviewed by other (funnier, more talented reviewers), singing repetitive songs that it seems can only be complemented on for effort, and now just bashing on games without the slightest bit of non-biased judgment. i can't seem to find a reason to watch any of her reviews. i watched the sims video trying to see if i was only trashing two games which i liked and the sims did have a better song and review. still i'd say i probably won't be watching again in the future.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
This would sound a lot better if she could sing and not just TALK with music.
She DOES have a good voice, and every one of her videos is very hit or miss with me. Part of it sounds damn good, and sometimes she just...talks. Ugh >_<

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Is it wrong I laughed so hard :D

Bit harsh the games not that bad, you musta been channeling Yahtzee :D.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
This ones more of a singing review of the game (which would be a pretty cool idea, review games through the media of song) But the change in the music style and singing is very nice

Plus this is a fun video althou you need more practices with your air-guitar skills

-M

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Sorry mayes but... The music itself was meh... your reviews are meh... and if I had time I would do a true review where the terms "Garden Variety" and "Generic" would be used A LOT.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Fuck yeah.Thats more like it.

The girl can do rock.

Though I would have pushed the heavy even more,ala Electric Wizard at their heaviest,for the sake of impact,though thats just splitting hairs now.Basically she used violent guitar noise so I'm happy for her.

Woem

May 28, 2009
Rebecca, I'm getting more and more into you with each episode. You rock! Literally this time, too.

Woem, Creator of the Rebecca Mays Fan group

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States of America
A pleasant surprise! Usually I hate these, but this one was actually pretty good.

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
Faces Rebecca, faces.
Metal is aaaangryy when they growl.
Like raaawr..!

And female leads are either operatic or aaaangry

ZeeClone

Jan 14, 2009
Love the concept of your Muses.

Not really my cup of tea in terms of the music but full marks for originality in your review format.

Mosstromo

Jul 5, 2008
Ha, ha, ha. Great! I really liked it. Again.
Playing "air guitar". Awesome. You have a good and gentle sense of humour madame Mayes.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
I liked how the song changed dramtically through-out points.
But please do not do the deep heavy metal voice in your songs.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Is there any hope of seeing these songs released as mp3s at some point? They're all the sort of thing I'd love to have on my iPod...

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Crap song, they all have been... the first one on the escapist was listenable, but now, they are getting worse... please improve the songs, i listened to your resident evil song on your website, and it was prety good... also i cant seem to find anything about the game from your reviews. id call them more a random list of words put to gether to make it somehow pass as a review... maybe take more time to create a more comprehensive review, one with more points, not just focusing on 2-3 points which all happen to be negative. a review also shows positives about the game.

Anyway, enough of my little rant

Rafe

Apr 18, 2009
That was the first time the vocals were actually audible, and only at times anyway.

I guess it wasn't as bad as the others which is a good sign.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I gotta say, the first Rebecca Mayes Muses was good. Ever since then it's been a steady decline where instead of just being generic songs about games, they become more and more bluntly bashing on said games. Right to the point where this game even flat-out says "this crappy game".

The Sims 3 song was cute. All the rest feel kinda pretentious.

Griff

Aug 27, 2008
Did anyone see her on Gameswipe with Charlie Brooker and Dara O Brien. MIss Mayes you just gained a whole new level in awesome.

Feralbreed

May 20, 2009
You nailed it Rebecca. Back when I tried the demo, I found Overlord 1 to be really stupid. And yes, it was SMALL and LINEAR.

Guess I like the song because I don't like Overlord. So if she would sing about any game that I hate I would get excited. And in reverse if she did a song bashing something like half-life, I would be furious and ***** about it. But that's the case with everybody.

Ebers

Dec 28, 2007
Griff said:
Did anyone see her on Gameswipe with Charlie Brooker and Dara O Brien. MIss Mayes you just gained a whole new level in awesome.
Rab and Ryan made an appearance too. That show was concentrated greatness.

faselei

Jul 19, 2008
Took a whilt to 'get' Rebecca Mayes. But no i love it! Devon or wherever looks pretty too.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
I preferred the singer-songwriter songs to this metal go. but then thats just my taste in music.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Stabby Joe said:
BUT the points made not much. First off blue minions can ride mounts )being one of multiple new features), the minions are supposed to mad, I don't notice anyone complaining when the characters look the same in all those AAA games and if you think the controls are bad you just can't play the game right.
Ok on the blue minions (and the other imps get rides too) but frankly even so its not a massive improvement really; and I didn't hear her mention the characters all looked the same - she just said the world feel small, boring, and pointless, and to be honest, I get that feeling from it too; don't get me wrong, its fun to stab at Green-Peace Elves, but the world in game just feels really linear and boxed in.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
It's kind of a shame, and then again, not, that the first Muses video I watched was Worms. It might have gotten my hopes up too high for the rest of the series. As you can guess, I didn't think this one was very good, even though I never played the game. Come to think of it, I haven't played any game on the Muses list... Sing about a game that I've played, pretty please Rebecca?

ig400

Feb 3, 2009
If NBC,s The Office's Michael Scott was a woman and sang game reviews. this is what it would be like

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Doug said:
Stabby Joe said:
Ok on the blue minions (and the other imps get rides too) but frankly even so its not a massive improvement really; and I didn't hear her mention the characters all looked the same - she just said the world feel small, boring, and pointless, and to be honest, I get that feeling from it too; don't get me wrong, its fun to stab at Green-Peace Elves, but the world in game just feels really linear and boxed in.
She said he had the same armor, hence my remark. As for the world, if it was boring and pointless how could you get any fun from it like you implied? Further more the world is much bigger than the original and more so than a lot of other games. I'll give you linear though but then again so was Half Life.

Angel Emfrbl

Nov 4, 2008
In this song defence, unlike the last, I can recall every lyric which means it accomplished something. It also gets the point across the singer wants so +1 for getting it over how much the game sucks to you.

Its very amuteur sounding, but not as bad as some are making out. Its done the job its just you couldn't top the charts with it. In my opinion, it lack depth, which could have been resolved by either adding a little mixing in or more instruments.

Or a better up voice (one that didn't sound like a demented siren).

joeinthebox

Sep 18, 2009
the song was alright
but its pretty unfair of her to insult people for wanting to live out their fantasies
isn't that what gaming is all about?

pk304

Oct 8, 2009
I find these videos rather patronising. It's almost as if she doesn't care about video games altogether, and would rather troll the gaming community with her music than embrace it. There's only so long she can stay on her high horse with this.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Worse one so far, and I quite like some of the previous ones (especially the worms one) was just boring and repetitive

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Ha, that song was pretty awesome. The guitar work was great, and I liked the growled black metal-style vocals at parts. Good job.

And why is everyone getting all bent out of shape about the critique of Overlord 2? If you liked it, great. But Ms. Mayes apparently didn't. Only Yahtzee, and no one else, is allowed to trash games now?

Gl1tch

Jun 22, 2009
Terrible, couldn't hear the lyrics through the guitar, and the entire song seemed to just be bashing people who enjoyed the game.
I, for one, liked the game, largely because it was so tongue-in-cheek with its humour, not because I was trying to live out some fantasy. I'm fine with people critiquing games, but this was more of a direct attack on the players themselves.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
@ Mayes: I really liked seeing you do this. One of the problems most musical artist have is that they cannot sing anything but one genre. Seeing you do a bit of a rock overtone was fun and proved to me that you aren't a one hit wonder. Go you!

@ overlord 2: it really could have done more to make me feel I need to finish the game. Story? There was none except for being evil. If I wanted to be evil for the sake of being evil I'd troll a forum. I would like to be the kind of "unethical evil" that you can be in games like Fallout 3. Solving problems in the least moral way possible, and not giving a flying Funk what anyone else has to say.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
It's nice to see you branching out into more styles of music. Not that I mind your personal style, but there's a lot to be said for using the right style to fit the mood. I found the faux metal style appropriate for this game.

It's also great to see a more coherent story within the lyrics. I've never been one for poetically subtle lyrics myself, but I never did quite figure out what you were trying to get at with the Worms 2 song. The lyrics to this song were much more explanatory. Actually, I might say they were a little too obvious: it was almost like singing a narrative, only it wasn't really a story.

Still, keep up the good work. With each new song and video, it's clear that your experience and talent is growing. I look forward to each new video.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Excellent song! Reminded me a bit of early Concrete Blonde.

Also reminds me that I'd been meaning to play the DS' Overlord Minions game. Wonder how that one fared...oooh, 58 @ Metacritic. Maybe I'll just go back to Scribblenauts...

Rock4ever

Dec 13, 2009
This one totally rocks! You are a beautiful woman with beautiful voice, and this video was a little... surprising... Out of a stream. But it's good. Refreshing. Wish you luck!

Kanjidude

Proud ENN Fan
Sep 23, 2009
Wow, this is a good video!

And funnily enough, her bashing actually made me want to try the game. :p

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
Definitely a different style, and even though the heavy metal thing isn't really my favourite, you most certainly rocked it. Spot on, I think, in the game. It's okay but nothing special, even though I tried to like it.