Rebecca Mayes Muses: Overlord 2

Dartinin

Apr 14, 2009
i get the feeling she dose not like overlord 2 lol ive been keeping up with all her ...reviews so far and i do have to admit what she dose in original lol

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Hah, this is pretty damn ironic that I'm one of the few who sticks up for her every other week because I genuinely like it, and now the people who don't usually like it are raving this time and love it while I don't think it's quite as good as previous weeks. Russian Reversal with a twist :)

Seriously though, it's still pretty good. All along I've liked each video and I think that Rebecca has done better every fortnight, but the Worms acapella one was her best so far IMO. This week it's just not quite as good, the metal was great and all but I'm not really a metal fan, and the lyris definitely weren't as good as previous songs. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it. It's just I think it was below the standard set by previous songs, especially my personal favourite, Worms Armageddon. Keep it up though Rebecca, it's still a great series :D

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I do strongly approve of the heavy metal theme for this Rebecca Mayes Muses. I do not approve of Rebecca taking a metaphoric piss on a game or gamers who play it. Yahtzee gets away with it because he is reviewing and because deep down we know he loves gaming and wants to see the genera improve. I don't get a similar vibe from this song, or for that matter the last few songs.

Perhaps my expectations are out of line from reality, but when some one takes the time to compose, perform, and record a piece of music, I hope it is about something they like or at least feel strongly about. In this case the overarching theme of "Overlord 2 sucks and its players are creepy" could be better discussed as "Overlord 2 has failed my expectations and I am offended by its pandering to the baser elements of gaming culture".

I love songs about games and other aspects of nerd culture. MC Frontalot and the whole Nerdcore hiphop being a prime example (and I don't usually like hiphop). I see in Rebecca Mayes Muses the potential for enjoyable music. However thus far her output has been hit and miss.

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
This is the only song I've liked more than 'The Sims 3' but...aren't you just a wee bit late to the party?

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Kuliani said:
RyePunk said:
So now she's musically reviewing games? Um okay... sure.
I did enjoy the guitar in the song, pretty awesome.
All of her songs are reviewing games...
I dunno, some of them don't seem very 'reviewish' tbh.
For instance, you don't actually learn anything about this game really other than 'she doesn't like it', comparing this to some of the text based reviews in the review section.
If this was written down there, it would be laughed out as a rant.

I get the idea, I personally think she's going the wrong way about it.

hamster mk 4 said:
I don't quite get where you're comin from with your first paragraph in all honesty, reviewers don't have to want to see the medium improve. It doesn't make them any less of a reviewer because of it.
So whether Yahtzee wants to see games improves and Miss Mayes doesn't shouldn't really become an issue.

I do agree with the second paragraph though, this song was a cheap dig at people. I would ask her if people who read Conan the Barbarian equally as sad for living out fantasies that way.
It was a little insulting, now excuse me whilst I go play Aion and go save people because 'I have no power of my own'.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
I liked it, even though I'm not for metal in any way. It's not one of your best, but still quite good in my opinion. At least you're trying something different, although I wouldn't mind another song like Bionic Commando. That one was wicked.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Best one so fur, I just loved it. I liked everything about it.

Just one comment. the black evil cape and evil crown/helmet thingy don't go well with a pretty light blue dress, maybe it was on purpose and I didn't get why. But it kind of messed up the all "evil" point.

Other than that,
excellent work, keep it up!!!

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
Wizzie said:
*snip*
hamster mk 4 said:
I don't quite get where you're comin from with your first paragraph in all honesty, reviewers don't have to want to see the medium improve. It doesn't make them any less of a reviewer because of it.
So whether Yahtzee wants to see games improves and Miss Mayes doesn't shouldn't really become an issue.
*snip*

Good reviewing is not just saying weather something is bad or good, it is saying why that thing is bad or good. Maybe even going into what could have been done to make it better. With the exception of a brief blurb about robotic controls and the game not improving on its predecessor she does not really answer the question of why.

I am reading that all these songs are "reviews" and if they are, then I have to say all these songs are pretty bad reviews. I am often no wiser about the game after watching the video than I am before. In the case of the worms review I feel she even did the game a disservice by focusing on the competitive nature as opposed to the cookery fun.

I feel that a negative review and music just don't go well together. I am not saying that Miss Mays should like every game she plays but, she should not sing about the ones she doesn't like. I would rather her give a happy tribute to a game 5-10 years old that she really loved than gripe the latest new release.

As for weather or not Miss Mays wants Gaming to improve that is a big issue. If she doesn't then she is just trying to earn popularity by riding gaming's coat tales in popular culture. However I believe she does, and that is why I go on these long tirades every time one of her videos disappoints me.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
hamster mk 4 said:
Epic snipz =D
I agree with your opening statement, good reviewing is exactly how you described yet I mentioned in the prior post although not directed at you that her lyrics make some songs seem less like reviews, if not at all.

I really don't think this idea is particually doable or sensical, musical reviews sound good on paper but are lacking in practice.
I personally feel they should be done more like a minstral would right a song, telling a tale rather than this tiresome verse, chorus, verse, chorus, has that Miss Mayes is doing.
She has taken the review and added it to popular style of music which doesn't bring positive results from what I can see.

Negative or positive reviews can work just as well as one another, if the delivery is correct in this instance I feel it is not.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Interesting genre switch. Not sure I liked the growling chorus, but overall it worked. Bravo for trying new styles just about every week. You might not pull them off perfectly, but it's brave and you at least do a passable job at each musical genre so far. Keep perfecting your art.

DeathQuaker

Oct 29, 2008
Another fun one, although the instruments drowned out the lyrics sometimes (though I suppose with metal, that's the point).

Personally, I love the idea of a cross between a music video and a game review. It's fun and innovative. It's just a shame that so many gamers live to diss anything new or creative, let alone something like this which obviously takes a lot of work--playing the game, writing the song, recording, mixing, filming and editing the video... all done once a week? I can understand why some folks won't dig all the songs, but geez, people, at least appreciate that something like this is frakkin' hard to do.

ghostsprite9

Dec 1, 2008
ThePirateMan said:
Why does evryone bash Overlord 2?

I found it pretty decent/good on the PC.

Didn't like the song that much anyways. :[
Yeah i know i personally loved it it had its faults but it was good.

But i enjoyed the song. :)

Maldeus

Mar 24, 2009
Why would you want to take over a virtual world? Clearly you're just fantasizing about world domination because you can't have any REAL power, right? A real Overlordly type would be founding a corporation or going into politics or throwing a coup in a third world country!

Half-Life? What're you doing fighting aliens in a virtual dystopia when you could be sneaking into North Korea to overthrow a real live one?

Grand Theft Auto? Why would you want to live a life of crime in a virtual knock-off of LA when there's a real one just a plane ticket away?

Ooh, here's a classic one, why waste time learning Guitar Hero when you could spend that time learning an actual guitar and trying to be a famous rock star, because we all know THAT works out well for everyone who tries it!

Rebecca Mayes, the point of your chorus was that video games are for losers who play out their fantasies instead of living them. I think maybe you're on the wrong website.

The_General

Sep 13, 2008
First the absolutely piece of sh*t Worms song, and now THIS? The bar-o-meter is falling fast enough to be warning a tornado.

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
Maldeus said:
Rebecca Mayes, the point of your chorus was that video games are for losers who play out their fantasies instead of living them. I think maybe you're on the wrong website.
I think that's an odd interpretation. She says "why would you want to take over a world that's small boring and pointless". To me that says the world in the game is not fun, and that you, hence, don't want to conquer it.

How you got from that "video games are for losers who play out their fantasies instead of living them." is beyond me.

WithHisHat

May 27, 2009
Air Guitar for the win! Defiantly different and experimental which is always great to see. I'm glad I am not the only one who can't stand the Overlord games too.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
DeathQuaker said:
Another fun one, although the instruments drowned out the lyrics sometimes (though I suppose with metal, that's the point).

Personally, I love the idea of a cross between a music video and a game review. It's fun and innovative. It's just a shame that so many gamers live to diss anything new or creative, let alone something like this which obviously takes a lot of work--playing the game, writing the song, recording, mixing, filming and editing the video... all done once a week? I can understand why some folks won't dig all the songs, but geez, people, at least appreciate that something like this is frakkin' hard to do.
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm a gamer and I don't hate things that are innovative and new. And yes, it is difficult for a small group of people to create a song and video review every 2 weeks. But that does not mean you shouldn't heavily criticize the final product.

As for this video, I can't really say much about it at the moment. I only watched a small part of it before it stopped loading and I can't get it to load again.