Rebecca Mayes Muses: Overlord 2

ig400

Feb 3, 2009
If NBC,s The Office's Michael Scott was a woman and sang game reviews. this is what it would be like

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Doug said:
Stabby Joe said:
BUT the points made not much. First off blue minions can ride mounts )being one of multiple new features), the minions are supposed to mad, I don't notice anyone complaining when the characters look the same in all those AAA games and if you think the controls are bad you just can't play the game right.
Ok on the blue minions (and the other imps get rides too) but frankly even so its not a massive improvement really; and I didn't hear her mention the characters all looked the same - she just said the world feel small, boring, and pointless, and to be honest, I get that feeling from it too; don't get me wrong, its fun to stab at Green-Peace Elves, but the world in game just feels really linear and boxed in.
She said he had the same armor, hence my remark. As for the world, if it was boring and pointless how could you get any fun from it like you implied? Further more the world is much bigger than the original and more so than a lot of other games. I'll give you linear though but then again so was Half Life.

Angel Emfrbl

Nov 4, 2008
In this song defence, unlike the last, I can recall every lyric which means it accomplished something. It also gets the point across the singer wants so +1 for getting it over how much the game sucks to you.

Its very amuteur sounding, but not as bad as some are making out. Its done the job its just you couldn't top the charts with it. In my opinion, it lack depth, which could have been resolved by either adding a little mixing in or more instruments.

Or a better up voice (one that didn't sound like a demented siren).

joeinthebox

Sep 18, 2009
the song was alright
but its pretty unfair of her to insult people for wanting to live out their fantasies
isn't that what gaming is all about?

pk304

Oct 8, 2009
I find these videos rather patronising. It's almost as if she doesn't care about video games altogether, and would rather troll the gaming community with her music than embrace it. There's only so long she can stay on her high horse with this.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Worse one so far, and I quite like some of the previous ones (especially the worms one) was just boring and repetitive

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Ha, that song was pretty awesome. The guitar work was great, and I liked the growled black metal-style vocals at parts. Good job.

And why is everyone getting all bent out of shape about the critique of Overlord 2? If you liked it, great. But Ms. Mayes apparently didn't. Only Yahtzee, and no one else, is allowed to trash games now?

Gl1tch

Jun 22, 2009
Terrible, couldn't hear the lyrics through the guitar, and the entire song seemed to just be bashing people who enjoyed the game.
I, for one, liked the game, largely because it was so tongue-in-cheek with its humour, not because I was trying to live out some fantasy. I'm fine with people critiquing games, but this was more of a direct attack on the players themselves.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
@ Mayes: I really liked seeing you do this. One of the problems most musical artist have is that they cannot sing anything but one genre. Seeing you do a bit of a rock overtone was fun and proved to me that you aren't a one hit wonder. Go you!

@ overlord 2: it really could have done more to make me feel I need to finish the game. Story? There was none except for being evil. If I wanted to be evil for the sake of being evil I'd troll a forum. I would like to be the kind of "unethical evil" that you can be in games like Fallout 3. Solving problems in the least moral way possible, and not giving a flying Funk what anyone else has to say.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
It's nice to see you branching out into more styles of music. Not that I mind your personal style, but there's a lot to be said for using the right style to fit the mood. I found the faux metal style appropriate for this game.

It's also great to see a more coherent story within the lyrics. I've never been one for poetically subtle lyrics myself, but I never did quite figure out what you were trying to get at with the Worms 2 song. The lyrics to this song were much more explanatory. Actually, I might say they were a little too obvious: it was almost like singing a narrative, only it wasn't really a story.

Still, keep up the good work. With each new song and video, it's clear that your experience and talent is growing. I look forward to each new video.

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
Excellent song! Reminded me a bit of early Concrete Blonde.

Also reminds me that I'd been meaning to play the DS' Overlord Minions game. Wonder how that one fared...oooh, 58 @ Metacritic. Maybe I'll just go back to Scribblenauts...

Rock4ever

Dec 13, 2009
This one totally rocks! You are a beautiful woman with beautiful voice, and this video was a little... surprising... Out of a stream. But it's good. Refreshing. Wish you luck!

Kanjidude

Proud ENN Fan
Sep 23, 2009
Wow, this is a good video!

And funnily enough, her bashing actually made me want to try the game. :p

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
Definitely a different style, and even though the heavy metal thing isn't really my favourite, you most certainly rocked it. Spot on, I think, in the game. It's okay but nothing special, even though I tried to like it.