Rebecca Mayes Muses: Plants vs Zombies

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Hahaha. That was brilliant! You left me in stitches. How can you not burst out in laughter at 0:12? Seriously.

Catchy song, witty dancing moves, and an original take on the tower defense game. This is one of my new favourites, excellent work!

By the way: the dancing remembered me of Michael Jackson's Thriller in a positive way, which is a huge compliment.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
I didn't really like this song. Just didn't do anything for me.

The rest are great but I just don't like this one.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
May 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Shorter than normal, and I wasn't to keen on this one, still not too bad, infact, in the great scheme of things, I would say good.. Keep going, we all miss the mark sometimes, and with the high quality of your other videos, keep up the good work.

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Why is it Zombies always feel the compulsion to dance? Regardless, I enjoyed it.

Solidplasma

Statistical Improbability
Aug 5, 2009
Neat message. I eagerly await the day when "casual gamers" and "veteran gamers" will both be satisfied by one game.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
This one was...different. Not that they should all be the same--I still liked it--but it took a while to get used to it.
Great job nonetheless; and the dancing was great, too.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
You stay on scenes too long, the dancing is laughable and the music sounds messy.

A step back from Guitar Hero.

But I suppose this has to face the challenge of competing with this.

BlankZero

Oct 19, 2009
I don't know what all these people are talking about. This is my favorite song yet, but that might have something to do with the twin facts that I love electronic music and adore Imogen Heap, and this had hints of both.

Apr 28, 2008
Another sweet video.

The only problem I had was that I could barely hear you sing.

Other than that, great job.

r0qu3

Jul 28, 2009
Nice... as a big fan of electronic music you just made a wish come true.

Really appreciated this one...

Props for stylehopping!

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Jaranja said:
I didn't really like this song. Just didn't do anything for me.

The rest are great but I just don't like this one.
sethzard said:
Shorter than normal, and I wasn't to keen on this one, still not too bad. Keep going, we all miss the mark sometimes, and with the high quality of your other videos, keep up the good work.
Sorry I only quoted you because you both had Lelouch as your avatar one after the other and I think that's rather awesome. All Hail Britannia

OT; this was a great song; find my self dancing along

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Interesting to see a stretch into more of a techno/dance number. I like it. (Not that there's anything wrong with the previous work.)

RaiZ-R

Aug 15, 2009
Poomanchu745 said:
Wow well that song made totally no sense at all.
What about it didn't make sense?

VioletZer0 said:
But I suppose this has to face the challenge of competing with this.
I know it's all a matter of opinion, but you're kidding right? That's trite and cliche. Rebecca's was fresh and interesting. Both are fun, but for very different reason's and I certainly know which I prefer after one listen.

I thought this was brilliant. Definitely one of my favourites.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
o.o
Twisted my mind, really. Was different.
I liked the sheeps on the end.

jackyjack13579

Dec 21, 2009
I'm sorry but I just can't stand these Mayes Muses. I don't know what it is, but I'll keep watching and maybe one day I'll enjoy one of them.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
RaiZ-R said:
Poomanchu745 said:
The whole love thing going on between the zombie and plant. Ummm that made no sense. The only lyric that made any sense was the eating brains. Maybe i just need to do more LSD in order to understand this.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Poomanchu745 said:
RaiZ-R said:
Poomanchu745 said:
The whole love thing going on between the zombie and plant. Ummm that made no sense. The only lyric that made any sense was the eating brains. Maybe i just need to do more LSD in order to understand this.
It's more of a parody on the game's set-up. If you haven't heard of Plants vs Zombies, it's a tower defense game where different plants have to defend themselves against the zombies who want to eat them.

Rebecca gave it an opposite twist by making the zombies confess their love to the plants and vice versa. It's similar to her Resident Evil 5 review, in that way.

GraveDigger27

Aug 29, 2009
As always the video and the song were extremely well done - it probably isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I think you captured the fun of the game. Well done.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Didn't seem to relate to the game all that much, but it's still as catchy as the rest of the songs.
Keep it up!

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Rebecca, you weren't the 1st to dress as a flower and sing

:D Peter Gabriel in Genesis

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
That was really cool, I especially liked that electronic beat thing at the beginning. Definitely one of my favourites so far.

snotvomit

Mar 20, 2009
I thought that one was excellent. Much preferred it to COD Modern Warfare. Electronic theme with vocals nicely blended in the mix rather than heavily up-front. Superb.

Perfect length too (in this case). Great ending.

I completely sympathise with the feelings expressed about P v Z.

Would have been nice to see a few seconds of game footage, but the video was great.

More like this please!

Great work again.

tamerman

Jul 17, 2009
yeaah... kinda sounded like it was only just beginning when the song ended... sorry :/

outcast_within

Apr 24, 2009
never heard of this game and as such the recognizible fun factor dropped massively.
A song about i game i have heard of, would be more enjoyable.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Wonderful choreography! It was so fun to watch! And now I'm going to be singing doo doo doo doo doo doo in a techno manner all night long.

Hutchy_Bear

May 12, 2009
Very cute and I thought it was a step up from the guitar hero song. But I still think Laura Shigihara's PvZ song is better.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
I actually really like this one which is not something that I have said in a while.
Shame it was so short.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
That was quite different, not one of my favorites but good job, i look forward to next time.

CoronaryThrombosis

Apr 15, 2009
I've never played Plants v. Zombies, and really had no idea what was going on in the video, but the song was very catchy. I thought the zombie dancing was excellent!

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I should likely feel stupid for thinking this, but when i look at the zombie, all i think is "Wow, someone likes jam". Jam is awesome though so i'm really not fussed and consider it a plus.

Is it at all possible to get these as an mp3, i'd be willing to pay just so i can feel all nice and warm inside, like when i have toast... with jam.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Brilliant! Not normally a fanboy, but I really did enjoy this quite a bit.

Thank yOU!

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
Rebecca's first song about The Sims 3 had the intangible charm of being about a video game but presented as a prayer to God. The intangible charm to it was how close the song was to an actual prayer. Here, she employs that intangible charm in (my opinion) its second (or third depending on your opinion of the Ghostbusters song) best effort in a song about a video game presented as a love song. The more songs with intangible charm like this, the better, in my opinion.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
And Rebecca learns why, when she was a little girl, she was told not to eat strange plants she found in the woods, even if they looked tasty.:)

Glad the funny reaction was all that happened, though! There's some nasty plant alkaloids that cause far uglier things than just an intense bitter taste.

TETSUOrocks

Oct 20, 2009
The opening zombie dance was pretty good. Makeup and the flower head looked great. Music wasn't bad but the lyrics weren't consistent with the theme. The video editing was a bit also a bit wierd.

It was a good video tho. I enjoyed it.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Wow these are getting sloppy. Generic samey music which is not even tied to the games anymore. The sims one was pretty cool since it was actually about the game. This could have been about friggin tetris or ridge racer.
This... this is just poorly constructed and rushed work. You need to loosen your schedule and put more effort back into your songs.
Oh and what the hell is up with the joker make up.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
I've given the game a try and I have to say that it's so addictive. Plants vs Zombies is full of quirky gameplay and humour, I can see why Rebecca shows her affection for it. So much upgrades, can't ... choose ...

Damn, I really need to continue working on that Army of Two review if I want to ship it this Monday.

*points at Plants vs Zombies*
*Arnold style*

"I'll be back."

EDIT: I just played it some more and checked the Help section out of curiosity. I swear, I'm still laughing my buttocks off. Read it yourself:

[http://img693.imageshack.us/i/helpscreenhilarious.jpg/]

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
I have much love for this girl's music. I say it every time, but you should create and/or link to some more serious music of yours.

allnorweiganwood

Dec 1, 2009
Poomanchu745 said:
ok im glad im not the only one. Maybe its because i have no idea what this game is. Did like the dancing at the beginning though

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
I was excited at the beginning because this started off sounding really different. I liked the chorus, but the verse still sounded too much like every other song, also the contrast between the upbeat electronic dance chorus and the drawn out wailing verses didn't really mesh well.

Sheaphard117

Nov 5, 2009
sorry rebec, this one just didn't do it for me.

Loved the new tone, vibe and tempo, but I did feel it had a very 'elvis' feel about it. (one verse, one chorus repeated three times, and its a song)

Azihe

Dec 17, 2008
I actually felt that this was the weakest one so far. However, it's good to see that I'm not the only person who has lost their life to Plants vs Zombies.

Goro

Feb 16, 2021
Country
Australia
I thought it was a little short, because I want to put it in my running music mix, and you can only go so far in 2 minutes.

Anyone else have a total crush on Ms Mayes?

Orange Monkey

Mar 16, 2009
Hmmm, Well the style really isn't my normal bag, the music seemed a little confusing and the lyrics were mostly incomprehensible.
On the upside the video was quite well made, the dancing was brilliant, and it obviously took a lot of work to mix it all together. A for effort.. But not you're best work. Sorry Beccs!

cynicalandbored

Nov 12, 2009
Loved it. :) It sounded a bit like a song by the Irish band Alphastates, and as they're one of my favourite bands, this was magnificent. Bit short, but still massively enjoyable.

Steady Drain

Jan 23, 2010
sorry but i dont get it. is it meant to be funny? or cool? or? opinions, ive got em. :)
p.s. i appreciate the hard work thats gone into it.

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
Awsome dancing at the beginning, but as a musician myself i just cant bring myself to like any of the songs you have made :(

Belive me ive tried many times :p

but that dosent change how your great at dancing :L

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
fat tony said:
I thought it was a little short, because I want to put it in my running music mix, and you can only go so far in 2 minutes.

Anyone else have a total crush on Ms Mayes?
Haha yes indeed.

Rohop

Dec 30, 2009
I loved this, I thought it was superb, he said after listening about a dozen times...

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
Bah, I couldnt hear what she was saying. I have to read the captions throughout the whole song just to find out what she was saying. I was expecing more themes from the game too, but all we got was a zombie (That didnt look anything like the ones in the game) and a sunflower that didnt shoot out little suns every now and then. And no pea shooters? boo. (If you cant tell, i didnt like the song)

WastedHero

Jan 14, 2009
Foxbat Flyer said:
I was expecing more themes from the game too, but all we got was a zombie (That didnt look anything like the ones in the game) and a sunflower that didnt shoot out little suns every now and then. And no pea shooters? boo.
I have the same complaint about the video having almost nothing to do with the game. This is the first Rebecca Mayes Muses video I've ever watched and I just wanted to know if all the videos she does are this loosely based on the games she sings about?

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Loved it! I loved everything about it, especially the Zombie-dancing : D
Though wasn't it cold, to be dressed as a flower in January? *brrrr*

ZacOfTheZombies

Aug 4, 2008
I mainly clicked on it because the Thumbnail made it look like there were three Zombies from Half-Life 2 as the stars. Still a great little movie without them though. :p

Donrad

Aug 21, 2008
ah such a nice little diddy
perfect song to get stuck in your head right before an exam

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
Ridiculously catchy song you got there! This is by far the best Musing yet! I'm gonna be singing this all week!

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Didn't I hear Escapist promis us that they are gettin an iTunes channel so we can get these songs?!?

Fun video, and quite sweet when the zombies asked the flower to marry it // A turer romance if ever I saw one

-M

Foxbat Flyer

Jul 9, 2009
WastedHero said:
Foxbat Flyer said:
I was expecing more themes from the game too, but all we got was a zombie (That didnt look anything like the ones in the game) and a sunflower that didnt shoot out little suns every now and then. And no pea shooters? boo.
I have the same complaint about the video having almost nothing to do with the game. This is the first Rebecca Mayes Muses video I've ever watched and I just wanted to know if all the videos she does are this loosely based on the games she sings about?
Yeah, I feel they are all like this. I have been watching from the first one, and i gotta say, i havent liked any apart from the resident evil 4 one... i keep watching, hoping they will improve, But it doesnt look like it (Sorry Rebecca)

SpannerMan

Nov 28, 2007
Great song again this week Rebecca. I keep coming back most weeks to listen - I think your a very talented musician. Also, the quasi-reviews (indeed, your musings) coming from a female semi-gamer make for interesting material to base the songs upon. I don't think a lot of the kids here get that part, actually.

However one request / piece of advice: concentrate solely on the singing and song writing and leave the video filming / directing to another outfit. Of course, you should still act in them, but there's lots of young talented film makers out there - I just think you could be investing that time normally spent on the video back into the music itself. Maybe ZP can help out with that?

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Hehe. Good tune this time, I liked it. And good thing you brought up the addictiveness of the game; that was just mandatory.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I have to admit I wasn't sure which game was under scrutiny... but I really enjoyed that one! :D
Very catchy, great dancing and a bit of a departure from what I was expecting.
Please continue to mix it up! :D

AnnaIME

Empress of Baked Goods
Dec 15, 2009
I have enjoyed most of the the Musings, but this one is my favourite so far.

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
Okay, I've got to say it again, THIS SONG IS INCREDIBLE! I keep going back to it; I'm drawn to the beat!

Wolveria

Jul 7, 2009
Loved the song and dance movies! :) So the zombies just want to marry the flowers huh?

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
To me this song makes a point about how video games are eating our brains. We are losing our personalities because all we do is play them.

jebbo

Jul 17, 2009
I quite liked this, only watched one of your vids before and I wasn't that keen so I've stayed clear. Glad I made the effort to watch another coz this put a smile on my face. Catchy tune, great moves and an eery singing style, was kinda making me think of Bjork a little bit

Verbal Samurai

Dec 2, 2009
This one was even better than The Sims 3 song. Very catchy.

I wish it was longer...and with more zombie dancing. I wanted MOAR!

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
Jbird said:
Can't stop listening >_<
I know what you mean. I still watch this video all the time!

[small]I want to, I want to, I want to, want to, want to eat your brains![/small]

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I just played the game and came back to listen to the song again. I didn't noticed before that zombien rebbeca asks plant rebecca to marry her and the plant says no :(

manicgreenapple

May 19, 2010
I LOVE this one. It constantly plays a loop in my head even when I'm not listening to it. This is definitely a hit. Wish it was longer, though.