Rebecca Mayes Muses: Resident Evil 5

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
Ooh, this is one of my favorites! This is actually the video through which I got to know your work, about a half year ago. It still is an amazing song, it's only a pity that the video quality isn't that good. Probably because you edited it twice with different settings.

Can't wait to hear your Batman song coming up in two weeks! Until then, I'll make do with this little gem of a song!

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Oooh, your ResE 5 song! I liked it so much I grabbed the mp3, way back when (before you showed up on the escapist), along with Press A and the Kyle Hyde one. Love it!

deepshock

I'm more here for the mainpage.
Oct 14, 2009
I remember this one from gamepeople a while back, and it's pretty good to see it here on Escapist. :D

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Unskippable, Zero Punctuation and now this? Some games sure take a hammering on this site haha!

Maluku

Aug 24, 2009
While this is a strange way to review a game, I like it a lot. Didn't think I would.

But Zombies scare me to much to hug and love them.. I think I would go to the second best solution then: Running away screaming like the proverbial girl. But that's just me.

I was really happy to see Rebecca Mayes on Gameswipe. Since I only came to know of Charlie Brooker since Yathzee mentioned him in some interview. This is kind of full circle for me ..

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Even though I'm a cuddly kind of person, I'm not going to hug this:

No matter how awesome this song was, it's not going to happen.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I loved this one! The problem with hugging Zombie's though is that they may think you are saying 'Bone appetit' .... get it.... bone.....

Sorry.... I should go...

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
This one was very good, but dammit now I miss playing lock on with my cousins, wonder if I can find a set still :p

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I like the points & the music is ok, but the way the lyrics are set up and the way they're sung make it sound unnatural... the words don't feel like they flow well together

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Great song and lyrics. A novel and amusing take on the zombie problems of gaming... Although i'm not sure following it will get you through the game in one piece - I don't play cards all that well...

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
All right I've watched all of these videos so far and I have been trying desperately to try and like them, but I can't do it anymore. These songs suck and I'm not going to bother listening.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
May 6, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Heard this song a while back, it's still a brilliant song. Rebecca, if you read this, go on tour of the UK (especially London) or at least make a cd, I know I'd buy it and I'm sure most other people on the escapist would too.

AvsJoe

May 28, 2009
I didn't really like this one. It was okay, kinda cute in a way, but I'll never have this song on my MP3 player.

Textbook Bobcat

Sep 9, 2009
Definitely one of the better ones, and I found myself listening to your old ones once more and having a new appreciation of them.

I think it is easy to forget that you're doing this solo, and how much more impressive making music that is fleshed out so well it is.

Reading comments on previous videos about you "only being here because you're a woman" I think is extremely unfair. You are definitely here on your own merits.

An original venture, and one that I enjoy fully.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
beautyfall song
i just need to ask, didn't you already put this song a long time ago in you website? what was the point in puting it here rather than making a new one? it seems like that i just waited two weeks for nothing new (because i already heard this one)

still, one of my favourites (the other being the sims 3 and wolverine)

some of Rebbecas songs are simply great this is one of the good ones.

i just love Rebbecas songs that have some jokes in them

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
Great song!

Though I thought that they were plagued people in re5 (like in re4) not zombies. :p

Zombie Rights, the new fight for justice!

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
That was a beautiful song Rebecca! I don't think I'd actually take the advice on hugging the zombies but I'd still say this is probably one of my favorite videos that you've made.

ManStapler

Jul 13, 2009
Well, this isn't really new, already heard it, but this is a good one, weird how the 'good' scale keeps jumping up and down with the songs.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Very beautiful song and voice (I loved the "don't shoot them" part a lot). I have to download these songs.
I prefer shooting zombies to hugging them, though.

Apr 28, 2008
Maybe thats all zombies want, hugs.

They have been just demonized by the media. After all, a zombie crying "huuuuuuuuuugs" just doesn't make for a scary story.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Uh huh. Yeah I'll get right on hugging a zombie

*Hugs zombies* "OM NOM NOM" *Bone crunching snaps* AAAAAAAAAAHH!!! MY FUCKING NEEEEECK!!! AAAARGH!

*Blood curdling death scream*

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
This is the song I listened to when I first heard of Rebecca Mayes that said to me her tongue was well inside her cheek when she sang (That means "her lyrics are sarcastic" for the thick among you)

Glad to see it get more exposure.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
In danger of sounding like one of those impossible-to-please naggers, I'm going to say that this is not a bad video, though to me it never rises above mediocre

person427

May 28, 2009
I love this song, but I was hoping for a new one, not one that's just new to this site. Oh well. Please post MP3 files for all the songs.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
I keep coming back to this little section of The Escapist. Certain songs I really liked--the Ghostbusters one in particular. But I just can't quite decide how I feel about them. But I guess the fact that I keep coming back and listening to each new one speaks for itself.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
OK, this is, for me, up there with the Sims song. Easily my second favourite so far.

Good job :)

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Not bad, not sure if she understands zombie physchology though.

Damn good music behind it. But as usual, faulty lyrics.
The best musing would be one where the lyrics are generalized, not always pointing out things like numbers (Resident evil "5") and graphics. I know these are basically musical reviews but, they could be better.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Monshroud said:
I loved this one! The problem with hugging Zombie's though is that they may think you are saying 'Bone appetit' .... get it.... bone.....

Sorry.... I should go...
I get it. "Bone Appetit"....bone....because zombies give people boners. Lolz.

Neosage

Nov 8, 2008
Cliff_m85 said:
Monshroud said:

Sorry.... I should go...
I get it. "Bone Appetit"....bone....because zombies give people boners. Lolz.
Strange person.

Anyway I have changed my mind about your songs. I enjoy them now :D

ProfessorLayton

Brotha That Will Smotha Yo Motha
Nov 6, 2008
I like everything except the lyrics. The music and the video are great, it's just the lyrics. I'm with everyone else, they're a bit repetitive. Other than that, the videos are great. I just would like a little more lyrics.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
popdafoo said:
I like everything except the lyrics. The music and the video are great, it's just the lyrics. I'm with everyone else, they're a bit repetitive. Other than that, the videos are great. I just would like a little more lyrics.
How can this be repetitive? The lyrics aren't alike at all, except the chorus. And guess what: the chorus does tend to come back a few times ... ever heard of it?

Ewyx

Dec 3, 2008
Generally like the songs, but this is the first one, that I came back to listen to again. ^^ Really like the voice, especially how she pronounces 'five' for some odd reason. The electronic beats add a nice touch to it as well.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Nice riff!

Oh and is that why the zombies keep grabbing me with both arms and biting me? They're just trying to show affection? Rightio!

GLXRBLT

May 29, 2009
I don't think she'd last very long during a zombie apocalypse.

Also, is she playing laser tag with that mummy? What the hell?

outcast_within

Apr 24, 2009
So we are watching old stuff? Isn't this all freshly made and put on by the escapist?

P.s. i'll be the first to say a song sucked. But it didn't, i liked it this time.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I...

WHY DO WE HAVE THIS! MY EARS FELT LIKE THEY WERE TRYING TO TEAR THEMSELVES FROM MY FACE!

I really try to see why people like this. Congratz, its a girl who knows how to play guitar. I still think the only reason anyone "likes" this is because she's a attractive girl who likes videogames.

I should probably stop trying.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Just being honest/giving my opinion, that's all.

I thought that the music was pretty good. Lyrics-content, however, highly questionable. Singing, moderate.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
I liked this one, although i haven't been exactly taken with some of the previous songs, this one was pretty good.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Mrsnugglesworth said:
I...

WHY DO WE HAVE THIS! MY EARS FELT LIKE THEY WERE TRYING TO TEAR THEMSELVES FROM MY FACE!

I really try to see why people like this. Congratz, its a girl who knows how to play guitar. I still think the only reason anyone "likes" this is because she's a attractive girl who likes videogames.

Okay than, so you think it stinks, well that's your opinion and I will not argue with you about that.

But, don't tell people that you think they enjoy it only because Rebecca is a girl, seriously, don't you see how insulting that is? To the people who enjoy it and mostly to Rebecca.

If I wanted to watch things only because there are woman in them I wouldn't even bother with this thing, I would just write dirty words in Google and watch blue movies.

I enjoy "Rebecca Mayes Muses" because I think it's good not because I'm h***y

MrSnugglesworth

Jan 15, 2009
kozmo said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
I...

Okay than, so you think it stinks, well that's your opinion and I will not argue with you about that.

But, don't tell people that you think they enjoy it only because Rebecca is a girl, seriously, don't you see how insulting that is? To the people who enjoy it and mostly to Rebecca.

If I wanted to watch things only because there are woman in them I wouldn't even bother with this thing, I would just write dirty words in Google and watch blue movies.

Most of all, Horny is not a bad word. Alright, with that out of the way...

All of that is my opinion. I just can't believe people like it, and I expressed myself in the one place it really mattered. Do I care if it hurt her feelings? No. Because if she were above the age of 12, she wouldn't care that some lazy bastard on the internet doesn't like what she loves to do.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Mrsnugglesworth said:
kozmo said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
I...

All of that is my opinion. I just can't believe people like it, and I expressed myself in the one place it really mattered. Do I care if it hurt her feelings? No. Because if she were above the age of 12, she wouldn't care that some lazy bastard on the internet doesn't like what she loves to do.
And regardless of this being on the internet or not, there's no god-damned excuse for being a **** about your opinions. Fine, you don't like it. But to try and express the opinion that Rebecca is only here and only popular because she's female (and, conversely, that women are useless at anything artistic) just makes you a misogynist. Is misogyny the cool thing for kids these days? Does it make you feel especially manly and robust to be a dick?

MrSnugglesworth

Jan 15, 2009
Nerdfury said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
kozmo said:
Mrsnugglesworth said:
I...

And regardless of this being on the internet or not, there's no god-damned excuse for being a **** about your opinions. Fine, you don't like it. But to try and express the opinion that Rebecca is only here and only popular because she's female (and, conversely, that women are useless at anything artistic) just makes you a misogynist. Is misogyny the cool thing for kids these days? Does it make you feel especially manly and robust to be a dick?
Not really. I just am. Its uncanny really, I don't find myself to be that manly, if anything opposite. I find easy ways to get out of my manliness. I just be a dick because I have a lot of insecurities. Duh.

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
That was a fantastic song, although I'm probably not going to try hugging a zombie anytime soon.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
Hmm. It's nice and all, just like most of your songs, but I have to admit that I'm getting kind of bored by it. The songs are not bad, but they all sound so..the same. Even the 'different' songs. Maybe I just don't like your voice enough for more than 5 songs or so, who knows.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
I am not from an English speaking country, or a country that is near an English speaking country, therefore my English vocabulary is limited.

my point is, what does the word "lyrics" mean, at first I just ignored it, but it just kept coming, so if someone would please tell me, it would be great, because I want to know what people keep complaining about

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
kozmo said:
I am not from an English speaking country, or a country that is near an English speaking country, therefore my English vocabulary is limited.

my point is, what does the word "lyrics" mean, at first I just ignored it, but it just kept coming, so if someone would please tell me, it would be great, because I want to know what people keep complaining about
Well, I'm from Belgium and our two main languages are Dutch and French. And yet I understand what is being said here.

Anyway: lyrics are the text that's written onto the melody.

sramota

Aug 1, 2009
Tssk tssk someone just ruined her 'cute' factor in favor of going closer to 'sexy'.
In either case, good work this time, glad to see you're embracing the musical talent you have without trying too hard or experimenting too much, quality above quantity.

And for the record, I don't think it's OK to mislead poor children into getting their brains eaten... Like it or not but hugging is just giving easy access to your braaaaaaaiiiins....

Now back to studying for my neuropsychology exam... *COUGH* braaaaaaiiiins...

clank1013

May 21, 2009
U know, i have to say.... i tried ur advice and tried to hug them........and it didnt end up so well...... mabey it was the fact that i tried to hug the big bat thing in the ruins, or mabey the fact that i was too small and he stepped on me..... but at least i tried... lol
(BTW, u have a very pretty face) =)

Tsuillo

Sep 5, 2009
Rebecca Mays unexpectedly and suddenly jumps to the bottom of the list of Escapist staff members I would bunker down with during zombie Apocalypse..

for the record: It totally is their fault. the first wave is usually naive people who thought it'd be a good idea to let their sick brother into the barricade, because he's bit but not a zombie yet, or went running off out of the safe-house in order to bring back little fluffy-bark-bark who went running off for some shiny thing.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
Great song, great video! :)
But stay the hell away from me during the zombie appocalypse D:

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
This was a lot better musically than some of the past entries. The lyrics still left something to be desired though. The Zombie activism was a nice idea, could've worked that better.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I think this is my favorite one so far! Really love your voice, which I think we haven't heard that clearly before.

RaiZ-R

Aug 15, 2009
Bretty said:
But did you 'like' RE5?
Obviously not. She wants to hug zombies, not shoot them. That was right there in the lyrics. Pfft. ;)

Maluku said:
But Zombies scare me to much to hug and love them.. I think I would go to the second best solution then: Running away screaming like the proverbial girl. But that's just me.
Not just you... I'd join you in that plan. Run. Scream. Hide. Whimper.

outcast_within said:
So we are watching old stuff? Isn't this all freshly made and put on by the escapist?
This is one of her older tracks off her own site. I assume the reason is that she didn't have time to finish this weeks new song and wanted to put out something, and as this is continually referenced as one of her better works, it's a nice trip down memory lane for those who discovered her before The Escapist picked her up, and a decent tune for those new to her work to hear.

Mrsnugglesworth said:
I...

Hailee from Paramore. Cristina from Lucuna Coil. Amy from The Luchagors. Juliette Lewis from The Licks... All attractive females whose music I do not rate. I like Rebecca cos her songs are nice, she has talent, and she makes me laugh ocassionally. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. Either open your mind to the possibillity that people will have different opinions to you, and different reasons for reaching them.. Or just stop trying, like you said.

kozmo said:

Lyrics are the words (or poetry, if you like) that make up the vocal (or singing) part of the songs. They are displayed in the video as subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Some people dislike them because they are too close to a game review, others dislike them because they aren't close enough to a game review, proving the age old saying that you can't please everyone... :D

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Hugging a stinking rotting squirming corpse while it tries to rip off your shoulder with its teeth?..

Rebecca would obviously not survive the much over-discussed 'Zombie Apocolyse'.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Joa_Belgium said:
kozmo said:

Well, I'm from Belgium and our two main languages are Dutch and French. And yet I understand what is being said here.

First of all, thanks for translating "lyrics" for me.

Other than that, I think you did not understand that when I said that I am not from an English speaking country I meant that I can't just ask someone in the street (or something a like) and I did not mean to say :"oh have pity on me, I can't understand because my country is not English speaking"

Still thanks. Seriously, thank you.

Any way, what I wanted to say in this comment was:

As I said in the last video, Rebecca is yet to review a game that she did like (or did like and admitted it). You can't call yourself a reviewer if you just talk about games you hate.

I mean, even Yatzhee says so when he likes games (I hope I spelled his name correctly).

I would like to see how Rebecca would review a game that she does enjoy

Edit(correction)-I didn't say it in the last video, I said it in the overlord video

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
I have really tried my best to enjoy the Rebecca Mayes Muses segments, but they all seem to suffer from an overwhelming sense of GOTIS (Girl on the internet syndrome.)

Rebecca puts together a song that has all the technique of one year guitar student, throws in some lyrics involving video games of which she can barely sing and somehow this all cobbles together into a clever ruse to turn the head of the attention starved gamer guys to shower her with praise, with no one wanting to say "Rebecca, your guitar is passable but you really need to work on your vocals" as if this will somehow make the her scamper away and hide behind a rock in tears, never to muse again.

So instead, everyone showers her with praise, tells her she should be writing more songs and should totally have her own segment on the escapist and perhaps should even release her own album because that would totally do well!

I honestly fail to see the allure. The songs make no real commentary on games, they are certainly not "reviews" as they are often tried to be passed as and they are artistically shallow at best. As actual music Rebecca lacks the artistic ability or originality of artists such as Kristin Ritchie, Damian Hess, Bryce Case and Jonathan Coulton, let alone their influence on nerd culture.

If the Rebecca Muses section was dropped from the Escapist, I doubt many people would even notice, and that is not exactly a good sign.

There is no sincerity, there is no soul, there is no love placed into these songs and it shows.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
kozmo said:
Joa_Belgium said:
kozmo said:

First of all, thanks for translating "lyrics" for me.

Other than that, I think you did not understand that when I said that I am not from an English speaking country I meant that I can't just ask someone in the street (or something a like) and I did not mean to say :"oh have pity on me, I can't understand because my country is not English speaking"

Still thanks. Seriously, thank you.

Any way, what I wanted to say in this comment was:

As I said in the last video, Rebecca is yet to review a game that she did like (or did like and admitted it). You can't call yourself a reviewer if you just talk about games you hate.

I mean, even Yatzhee says so when he likes games (I hope I spelled his name correctly).

I would like to see how Rebecca would review a game that she does enjoy

Edit(correction)-I didn't say it in the last video, I said it in the overlord video
Well, her upcoming song will be about Batman: Arkham Asylum. And I have it from a very reliable source that she really enjoyed the game. You just need to wait until Friday ...

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Da Joz said:
All right I've watched all of these videos so far and I have been trying desperately to try and like them, but I can't do it anymore. These songs suck and I'm not going to bother listening.
Same here. I tried liking her, but it's just impossible to do. What makes me angry is that, all everyone says in here is, "Great song!". Not a variation of that, but just "Great song!" with other words. Come the fuck on, you can't tell me everyone (Excluding a few people) don't think her songs aren't great? Another thing I don't get is, how is this song the, "Best one yet!" when you say that with all her videos? Christ O' Mighty...

ninjaman 420

Feb 18, 2009
this is the 4 or 5 one ive watched, the first one i watched was the batman one and told myself id watch more. and this one struck me as another highly entertaining song. until today ive been lookin over her link without thinking about it. i see alot of positive and negative feedback on her work and i have to say im in the liking it catagory. im impressed by people who make music inspired by unusual source, and she definetly qualifies. like my friend who wrote a song about a campaign of D&D. but his ability blows hers out of the water. i still have a crush on her though

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
You know, I tried to hug a zombie once. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out well for me.

Oh yes: Brraaaiiinnsssss!!!

Vasioth

Oct 23, 2009
Listened to the first minute of the song to figure out that you can't actually write a song properly and the Guitar Riff sounds dead familiar. The Lyrics don't flow with the Music and I really don't think its special enough to actually be put on the Escapist Magazines Front Page, but that may just be me. Still, first song I've listened to by you... you may just redeem yourself yet.

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
Really liked this song, first one I've actually listened to so I'll be sure to check back here for more.

Rebecca Mayes

Jul 6, 2009
Although this one was dark, it was still really good. Resident Evil 5 wasn't scary at all I agree. :D

Your voice in this video really flowed well with the words you used. I think...I will watch it again!

Skarlette

May 17, 2010
I think everyone would hug more zombies if not for the sliminess. And the smell. And the biting. And the infectious cannibalism gah-he-just-bit-a-chunk-of-my-neck-ah-the-pain-it-hurts-4//itchy. Tasty...

Awesome again, as always, and this video kicks ass, it's hard to film in low light.

AllLagNoFrag

Jun 7, 2010
Best word I can come up with to describe the song on its own: mystifying

Though I get the feeling that she actually did not like RE5

Obscure_Reference

Mar 9, 2010
This is an excellent perspective on the whole "zombie plague" genre; it is indeed not their fault. It's not a zombie's fault that for one reason or another the zombie apocalypse has happened and now we're all zombies.