Rebecca Mayes Muses: Resident Evil 5

Tsuillo

Sep 5, 2009
Rebecca Mays unexpectedly and suddenly jumps to the bottom of the list of Escapist staff members I would bunker down with during zombie Apocalypse..

for the record: It totally is their fault. the first wave is usually naive people who thought it'd be a good idea to let their sick brother into the barricade, because he's bit but not a zombie yet, or went running off out of the safe-house in order to bring back little fluffy-bark-bark who went running off for some shiny thing.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
Great song, great video! :)
But stay the hell away from me during the zombie appocalypse D:

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
This was a lot better musically than some of the past entries. The lyrics still left something to be desired though. The Zombie activism was a nice idea, could've worked that better.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
I think this is my favorite one so far! Really love your voice, which I think we haven't heard that clearly before.

RaiZ-R

Aug 15, 2009
Bretty said:
But did you 'like' RE5?
Obviously not. She wants to hug zombies, not shoot them. That was right there in the lyrics. Pfft. ;)

Maluku said:
But Zombies scare me to much to hug and love them.. I think I would go to the second best solution then: Running away screaming like the proverbial girl. But that's just me.
Not just you... I'd join you in that plan. Run. Scream. Hide. Whimper.

outcast_within said:
So we are watching old stuff? Isn't this all freshly made and put on by the escapist?
This is one of her older tracks off her own site. I assume the reason is that she didn't have time to finish this weeks new song and wanted to put out something, and as this is continually referenced as one of her better works, it's a nice trip down memory lane for those who discovered her before The Escapist picked her up, and a decent tune for those new to her work to hear.

Mrsnugglesworth said:
I...

WHY DO WE HAVE THIS! MY EARS FELT LIKE THEY WERE TRYING TO TEAR THEMSELVES FROM MY FACE!

I really try to see why people like this. Congratz, its a girl who knows how to play guitar. I still think the only reason anyone "likes" this is because she's a attractive girl who likes videogames.

I should probably stop trying.
Hailee from Paramore. Cristina from Lucuna Coil. Amy from The Luchagors. Juliette Lewis from The Licks... All attractive females whose music I do not rate. I like Rebecca cos her songs are nice, she has talent, and she makes me laugh ocassionally. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not there. Either open your mind to the possibillity that people will have different opinions to you, and different reasons for reaching them.. Or just stop trying, like you said.

kozmo said:
I am not from an English speaking country, or a country that is near an English speaking country, therefore my English vocabulary is limited.

my point is, what does the word "lyrics" mean, at first I just ignored it, but it just kept coming, so if someone would please tell me, it would be great, because I want to know what people keep complaining about
Lyrics are the words (or poetry, if you like) that make up the vocal (or singing) part of the songs. They are displayed in the video as subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Some people dislike them because they are too close to a game review, others dislike them because they aren't close enough to a game review, proving the age old saying that you can't please everyone... :D

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Hugging a stinking rotting squirming corpse while it tries to rip off your shoulder with its teeth?..

Rebecca would obviously not survive the much over-discussed 'Zombie Apocolyse'.

kozmo

Mar 1, 2009
Joa_Belgium said:
kozmo said:
I am not from an English speaking country, or a country that is near an English speaking country, therefore my English vocabulary is limited.

my point is, what does the word "lyrics" mean, at first I just ignored it, but it just kept coming, so if someone would please tell me, it would be great, because I want to know what people keep complaining about
Well, I'm from Belgium and our two main languages are Dutch and French. And yet I understand what is being said here.

Anyway: lyrics are the text that's written onto the melody.
First of all, thanks for translating "lyrics" for me.

Other than that, I think you did not understand that when I said that I am not from an English speaking country I meant that I can't just ask someone in the street (or something a like) and I did not mean to say :"oh have pity on me, I can't understand because my country is not English speaking"

Still thanks. Seriously, thank you.

Any way, what I wanted to say in this comment was:

As I said in the last video, Rebecca is yet to review a game that she did like (or did like and admitted it). You can't call yourself a reviewer if you just talk about games you hate.

I mean, even Yatzhee says so when he likes games (I hope I spelled his name correctly).

I would like to see how Rebecca would review a game that she does enjoy

Edit(correction)-I didn't say it in the last video, I said it in the overlord video

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
I have really tried my best to enjoy the Rebecca Mayes Muses segments, but they all seem to suffer from an overwhelming sense of GOTIS (Girl on the internet syndrome.)

Rebecca puts together a song that has all the technique of one year guitar student, throws in some lyrics involving video games of which she can barely sing and somehow this all cobbles together into a clever ruse to turn the head of the attention starved gamer guys to shower her with praise, with no one wanting to say "Rebecca, your guitar is passable but you really need to work on your vocals" as if this will somehow make the her scamper away and hide behind a rock in tears, never to muse again.

So instead, everyone showers her with praise, tells her she should be writing more songs and should totally have her own segment on the escapist and perhaps should even release her own album because that would totally do well!

I honestly fail to see the allure. The songs make no real commentary on games, they are certainly not "reviews" as they are often tried to be passed as and they are artistically shallow at best. As actual music Rebecca lacks the artistic ability or originality of artists such as Kristin Ritchie, Damian Hess, Bryce Case and Jonathan Coulton, let alone their influence on nerd culture.

If the Rebecca Muses section was dropped from the Escapist, I doubt many people would even notice, and that is not exactly a good sign.

There is no sincerity, there is no soul, there is no love placed into these songs and it shows.

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
kozmo said:
Joa_Belgium said:
kozmo said:

Well, I'm from Belgium and our two main languages are Dutch and French. And yet I understand what is being said here.

Anyway: lyrics are the text that's written onto the melody.
First of all, thanks for translating "lyrics" for me.

Other than that, I think you did not understand that when I said that I am not from an English speaking country I meant that I can't just ask someone in the street (or something a like) and I did not mean to say :"oh have pity on me, I can't understand because my country is not English speaking"

Still thanks. Seriously, thank you.

Any way, what I wanted to say in this comment was:

As I said in the last video, Rebecca is yet to review a game that she did like (or did like and admitted it). You can't call yourself a reviewer if you just talk about games you hate.

I mean, even Yatzhee says so when he likes games (I hope I spelled his name correctly).

I would like to see how Rebecca would review a game that she does enjoy

Edit(correction)-I didn't say it in the last video, I said it in the overlord video
Well, her upcoming song will be about Batman: Arkham Asylum. And I have it from a very reliable source that she really enjoyed the game. You just need to wait until Friday ...

ninjaman 420

Feb 18, 2009
this is the 4 or 5 one ive watched, the first one i watched was the batman one and told myself id watch more. and this one struck me as another highly entertaining song. until today ive been lookin over her link without thinking about it. i see alot of positive and negative feedback on her work and i have to say im in the liking it catagory. im impressed by people who make music inspired by unusual source, and she definetly qualifies. like my friend who wrote a song about a campaign of D&D. but his ability blows hers out of the water. i still have a crush on her though

TraumaHound

Jan 11, 2009
You know, I tried to hug a zombie once. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out well for me.

Oh yes: Brraaaiiinnsssss!!!

Vasioth

Oct 23, 2009
Listened to the first minute of the song to figure out that you can't actually write a song properly and the Guitar Riff sounds dead familiar. The Lyrics don't flow with the Music and I really don't think its special enough to actually be put on the Escapist Magazines Front Page, but that may just be me. Still, first song I've listened to by you... you may just redeem yourself yet.

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
Really liked this song, first one I've actually listened to so I'll be sure to check back here for more.