Rebecca Mayes Muses: Starcraft 2

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Cristian Capatana said:
First of all, if it's popular it doesn't necessarily mean it's shallow and meaningless. The Beatles, Queen, Miles Davis and a boatload of others rocked millions of people. Nowadays, every hipster with a webcam thinks she's an artist filled to the brim with originality and inspiration but the masses are to obtuse to get her art.

Secondly, success is exactly that: the recognition of others and surpassing your original condition.
I know what success is thank you, and no, not every popular work is shallow and meaningless; I was employing a generalisation to make a point, I would of though that was plain.

I would expand my argument but you're plainly being deliberately obtuse so I shan't bother.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Maybe the next step could be to advance the visual element of each muse from Low Tech,low budget student camp into something more polished.
Surely Mayes has some artsy buddies that could take turns doing the visuals each fortnight and would appreciate the exposure.
Might add a whole new dimension to each muse and free her up to work on the music more.I mean shooting these videos must take time.

Edit:I dont see these muses as so far gone 'artsy' that the rest of us cattle cant understand or fathom their meaning.I mean they're either a direct comment on the game or stepping back and taking in a bigger picture which also includes the game.
Not really much else you can do with games as source material.

prouler

Nov 24, 2009
here, I haven't likes allot of your songs lately, but this one is definatly good. you used your lyrics for satire and review, your imagry was conectable and relivent, and the tune was engoyable. stick to this formula more please.

Silver_Hammer

Mar 25, 2008
I agree with the others, very catchy.

I'll be listening to that again a few times for sure, Great Stuff as usual Miss Mayes.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
And I've got my revolver and a bottle of bourbon and a cheesy one-liner.

Best line in the song. Great, catchy song.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
I think this is another great song by Ms. Mayes. I notice this one is more literal into the game than the last one...and I just want to register that I like both song styles, the more literal and the more abstract.

Anyway, here's my two cents: Ms. Mayes will you put out an album of your more recent Mayes Muses? I listen to your first two albums all the time on my ipod, and I'd like to add this most current crop to them.

So...I'd love, not only your new non-game related album, but also another collection of your game related songs. Woot!

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
As a fan of StarCraft 2, I think it is healthy to occasionally listen to criticism. Playing a glorified spreadsheet, eh? I never thought of it that way; kinda makes sense...maybe.

The one-liners, though, yeah. Even I, a fan of the game, cringed at a few of those.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Cristian Capatana said:
Continuity said:
Cristian Capatana said:
First of all, if it's popular it doesn't necessarily mean it's shallow and meaningless. The Beatles, Queen, Miles Davis and a boatload of others rocked millions of people. Nowadays, every hipster with a webcam thinks she's an artist filled to the brim with originality and inspiration but the masses are to obtuse to get her art.

Secondly, success is exactly that: the recognition of others and surpassing your original condition.
I know what success is thank you, and no, not every popular work is shallow and meaningless; I was employing a generalisation to make a point, I would of though that was plain.

I would expand my argument but you're plainly being deliberately obtuse so I shan't bother.
Oh wow, instead of an argument I get insulted. I'm sorry my friend but that's never how someone with something eloquent to say about a subject reacts.

Btw, why generalise when we were talking specifics? That's just a way to change the subject when you feel like you're losing your grip on the matter.
Fine, fine, lets have at it then, but remember this wasn't my idea.

Firstly in response to your last post:

Oh wow, instead of an argument I get insulted. I'm sorry my friend but that's never how someone with something eloquent to say about a subject reacts.
OK, where was the insult exactly? and for the record a person's reaction to just about anything is never simple, and its practically impossible to gauge someone's reaction just from a few sentences they've typed on the internet, so your generalisation here isn't really apt.

Btw, why generalise when we were talking specifics? That's just a way to change the subject when you feel like you're losing your grip on the matter.
Generalisation is a basic element of human reasoning and a logical tool, frequently employed in debates. When someone employs a generalisation is in no way means they want to change the subject or that they are "losing their grip" on the argument.

And in response to your previous post:

First of all, if it's popular it doesn't necessarily mean it's shallow and meaningless.
Quite true, it does not necessarily follow, however is it very often the case.

The Beatles, Queen, Miles Davis and a boatload of others rocked millions of people.
"rocking millions of people" does not indicate artistic depth, it merely demonstrates an ability to entertain which is entirely separate. You can tell art from basic entertainment by simply contrasting the cerebral element of consumer's engagement with each; true both art and entertainment can provoke emotional or instinctive responses, the difference is that in entertainment these are just passively absorbed and enjoyed at a superficial level, where as art is appreciated intellectually.
Yes I realise that this description makes art subjective, as each person will respond differently, however that doesn't mean it is entirely subjective. All art appreciation is tempered by taste, you need a palate to determine good art from the banal.

Of course this is also a whopping generalisation and this is one of the reasons I didn't want to get into this argument, there is no concrete definition of "art" and any opinion I express on the subject can never be absolutely correct or even objective. The above can't really be said to be anything more than just my opinion.

Nowadays, every hipster with a webcam thinks she's an artist filled to the brim with originality and inspiration but the masses are to obtuse to get her art.
"Nowadays"? you pretend not to realise that there has always been a vast artistic community below the surface of popular culture, the difference here of course is that via the medium of the internet we are blessed with access to this in some part.

And in full riposte to your comment I say yes, in fact the artistic subculture is far more original and inspired than the droll churned out mediocrity of pop culture, and indeed that is its function.
Let me be plain, the artistic subculture is the furnace of originality and inspiration, of course all mixed in with derivation and plagiarism, which by the way are equally important components. And by the time the blossoms of originality and inspiration have made it into pop culture they are already dead! Like a wilted cut flower it looses its charm.

popularity and financial prosperity only indicate just that: popularity and financial prosperity. They don't tell us anything else for sure, so I don't know what argument you're trying to make here.

snotvomit

Mar 20, 2009
Another Good one!

"My skill at managing resources is humming phat" - HA! Don't often hear that in a pop song.

Cristian Capatana said:
themerrygambit said:
You're a ridiculously talented song writer. .
I kinda believe the opposite, I wouldn't hire her to write radio jingles. Don't take my word for it, just wait a bit, real talent always gets recognised and in won't be the case here.
Just had to say to counterbalance the enormity of your statement.
I won't take your word for it. I doubt you're an authority on such things, yet you make the statement with such certainty. It takes talent to write, play, record and produce a song (and a video to go with it). These things don't happen by themselves.

Many "recognised" songs have made it into the charts when they are nothing more than a riff lifted off someone else's record, looped and then rapped over. I suggest that such a production requires significantly LESS talent and yet still gets "recognised".

Why don't you show us how it's done Capatana? As an authority on talent, you must surely have plenty youself. Why not write a little "radio jingle" to demonstrate this? Maybe post some links to your talented work - whatever it is. Show us what you've got.

My guess is you've got nothing... but don't take my word for it.

Spitting Blood

May 12, 2010
quick question: from 1:17 to 1:43 is that "Speech" thing, i like it a lot, though 1:30-1:33, I am not sure what is being told, someone clarify for me please?

Also if someone is doing something, anything, be it a song, volunteer work, trolling, anything really; that they truly enjoy, for whatever reason. At least they are happy in one aspect of there life. And are passing on there experiences, lessons, trials, knowledge, wisdom ect . . . ect . . . to others who may have meaning for it, or just plain enjoy it; can be a real blessing.

I am happy for you, RM (thank you for the song, I do appreciate the work you must put in to these at times). Whether or not you are or are not a gamer, you still are doing something you enjoy, and are reaching out to others. For that, congratulations. Keep it up

DaBungalow

Oct 4, 2010
I have conflicted feelings for her music. A third of it I am utterly in love with, but I find the majority of her work to be bland and forgettable. I couldn't recommend her to anyone I know, and I don't know if I could confidently state that she's a great musician, but I would hate to see her stop writing. That third of her music I truly love, and I think following her work is worth the dull disappointment of a miss for the smile that I smile when I stumble across a hit.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
Another great song. I love playing sc2 and I agree with what was said about it. Cheesy one-liners ftw.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Ha! I liked this one. :)

And to all you people that think Rebecca is a hack: go right ahead, but it's your opinion, it's not fact.
I find it pretty impressive that she's able to write, sing, play, and produce a video about videogames as often as she does it. And in My oppinion it's pretty good music too.
But that is just my opinion...