Rebecca Mayes Muses: Velvet Assassin

Gruchul

Aug 30, 2009
Enjoyed this little musing. Also finding it very hard to guess what's coming, both in terms of the the game and musical style

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Probably your most solid video yet. Sure, there was some repetition, but it worked in this case. Keep up the improvement, it's gotten noticeably better since the original videos.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
I think that this could get old very fast. Her voice is nice, she is an ok musician. But the lyric are just to repetitive and therefore don't seem interesting to me. Sooner or later she will run out of words which rhyme with "game". Or she could just stay with the same...

Zand88

Jan 21, 2009
Does this chick even like video games?

Oh, and her videos are always the same. Always the same.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
Well, most people watches the video only once and they say it'll get boring - I'd like to hear that after a week or month of listening to it.

While watching I was thinking the same thing that shows up in comments "Is it repetetive?" and I anwsered myself "Yes, but I don't mind" because it was nostalgic and pretty. Didn't have anything that would break the flow (like the scary voice last time) and the vidoe was overally good looking - it didn't need any special effects (they'd be good in a voilant game).

The game is generic and repetetive - so I guess that the lyrics express that. It mentions quality of the game (dull and with bugs), exploatation of woman and hard to like or understand story.

I'd say that it's one of the best videos so far, but that's becasue Rebecca is improving with each one she makes. I wouldn't go as far as favorite but deffinity good :)

Macar

Jun 16, 2009
Zand88 said:
Does this chick even like video games?
Does Yahtzee? I wont try to argue that she does, but I'll point out that most people dont bother complaining about an art form they dont care about. Also, most of the games she poo-poo'd got bad reviews across the board.

Zand88

Jan 21, 2009
Macar said:
Does Yahtzee?
Honestly, I don't really know anymore.

Macar said:
I wont try to argue that she does, but I'll point out that most people dont bother complaining about an art form they dont care about.
Actually, yes. There are a lot of people who hate videos games who never play them, as well as hate books/movies/shows they never watch.
Any comment she says could be found off of a review on IGN, so it's hard to say she has to really play the games to make a video about it. Besides that, it's usually just rambling.

Also, I wish I could put sage in the email field.

Da Joz

May 19, 2009
No matter how hard I try I just cannot get into these videos. Maybe next time.

General Store

Apr 15, 2009
To those who say this segment will get boring: I disagree, as has been said she is improving remarkably each week and, even if she weren't; with videos like these once a week (even if she didn't change her song-structure or video-style) would take a long time to get boring.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Zand88 said:
Macar said:
I wont try to argue that she does, but I'll point out that most people dont bother complaining about an art form they dont care about.
Actually, yes. There are a lot of people who hate videos games who never play them, as well as hate books/movies/shows they never watch.
Any comment she says could be found off a review of IGN, so it's hard to say she has to really play the games to make a video about it. Besides that, it's usually just rambling.
Dude, it's a song. What exactly do you expect from a written review that can't be summed up as a series of bullet points? How about the thousands of iterations of love songs? If the lyrics include something that maybe you've seen elsewhere, maybe it's because there is real substance to such a claim.

Also, you absolutely don't have to fully experience anything to dislike it. I am just as uninterested in being shot in the face as I am in a book/movie/show/game where the apparent crappiness is the main noteworthy aspect. It's a matter of taste, and you don't need to taste everything to know you don't like it.

Zand88

Jan 21, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
Dude, it's a song. What exactly do you expect from a written review that can't be summed up as a series of bullet points? How about the thousands of iterations of love songs? If the lyrics include something that maybe you've seen elsewhere, maybe it's because there is real substance to such a claim.
Well I guess it could at least be entertaining.
Besides, that's not the point, I'm saying she just doesn't seem to actually like/play games, from what has been show so far.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Zand88 said:
Well I guess it could at least be entertaining.
Besides, that's not the point, I'm saying she just doesn't seem to actually like/play games, from what has been show so far.
You weren't entertained by the songs. Perhaps she wasn't entertained by the games.

She expressed her lack of entertainment in the form of a song. You expressed it by attempting to discredit and devalue her expression, with baseless claims of unoriginality. Whether she cares about games at all is not something you can possibly ascertain by merely listening to a few songs. That would require knowing her personally.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Y'know...I really wasn't a fan of your work. It just didn't appeal to me, but something, some kind of vibe was really given off with this song. I've watched most of your videos, and this was truly the one that I liked. It just tugged on the right strings for me.

*I honestly didn't mean to do that.*

So Rebecca, you have scored a win with me this time. Keep it up, I'm interested in the content you put forward now.

Angel Emfrbl

Nov 4, 2008
This one wasn't as catchy as the last one, but it did have this haunting feeling to it. So while it lost me in rememberability, it did catch me in atmosphere.

kiteviolet

Sep 30, 2009
It's a lovely song, but there's no point in having a song be three minutes long if the second half is identical to the first half. The lyrics still lack a sense of coherency, but it's much better than the last video.

JusticarPhaeton

Jul 29, 2009
For all of you 'this is always the same' naysayers:
There is something called a song structure in music. It typically goes Intro -> Verse -> Chorus -> Verse -> Chorus ->Bridge or Break -> Verse/Chorus -> Outtro. Whatever music you listen to, i'm sure there's a pattern to it as well.

Furthermore, think about your typical album by a band. Many of the songs will sound similar, and albums usually take a year or so to write and record. These videos are done in two weeks. Just the songwriting is already quite difficult, and we're talking about a solo artist here. Then there's also the filming, which i'm sure also takes a lot of time and editing. So there's really not much time at all for Ms. Mayes to hone the song before recording and filming starts.

All things considered, this is one of my favourite periodical series on The Escapist. If you don't get Rebecca Mayes' style, then fine. Everyone has different tastes. But please quit nitpicking and saying she's uncreative or untalented; i think it's pretty obvious from the massive slew of instruments and her beautiful singing voice that she's incredibly talented indeed. (Actually, whenever i see these i can't help but feel she's almost too talented to be just writing songs about games for a gaming site).

I think this one is a step above her average. It was less about random nitpicks about the game and moreso about a deeper allegorical theme about human nature. Fantastic :)

katsa5

Aug 10, 2009
This is a really nice video. The environment of the video and the game itself are very complimentary. And excellent points made for and against the game.