Rebecca Mayes Muses: Velvet Assassin

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
I watch these time and again, though the sing is great and the song is fine, it's just so... bland and uninteresting.

outcast_within

Apr 24, 2009
nice song. Too long though.
One problem of those first songs were repetition and now you have like 2 or 3 parts reccuring too often. Vid would have a stronger impact if it was a minute shorter cutting out the repeating end parts.

Zand88

Jan 21, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
You weren't entertained by the songs. Perhaps she wasn't entertained by the games.
I guess the difference is that I know I watched her videos.
CaptainCrunch said:
She expressed her lack of entertainment in the form of a song. You expressed it by attempting to discredit and devalue her expression, with baseless claims of unoriginality. Whether she cares about games at all is not something you can possibly ascertain by merely listening to a few songs. That would require knowing her personally.
I didn't make any real accusations about that, just observing that she doesn't seem to really like games, from her track record. That may be the truth or not, but no matter which, it still is a quality there in her videos. It's certainly not baseless.
Also, I have to know her personally to know that? Ehhhh. If auteur theory means anything, then you can observe a person's opinions and perspective through patterns and reoccuring themes in their creative work. That, or base it off of what you know their behavior to be.
Meeting most people, I wouldn't automatically assume they like video games.. Going along with that, I wouldn't assume someone likes video games when their attitude toward it seems mostly negative. Just saying.

Oh well, can we agree to disagree?

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
JusticarPhaeton said:
For all of you 'this is always the same' naysayers:
There is something called a song structure in music. It typically goes Intro -> Verse -> Chorus -> Verse -> Chorus ->Bridge or Break -> Verse/Chorus -> Outtro. Whatever music you listen to, i'm sure there's a pattern to it as well.
Fair enough. But even bands that use verse chorus verse chorus etc. don't write such similar choruses. So far I think... four or five of her songs have choruses where she repeats a phrase THREE TIMES. If you can name a band that does that that many times I'll be impressed. Most choruses don't have any repetition, let alone saying something exactly three times in every song.

Just sayin'

I mean I loved this video and the last one, but before Overlord I was kind of worried about the formulaic nature of the songs, and it seems we might be returning to this. Also someone remarked on the 'scary voice' breaking the flow.... that's stupid. The scary voice was awesome, and didn't break any of the flow. The Overlord is an incarnation of evil, her singing in a cutesy female voice breaks the flow, her sounding happy breaks the flow, scary voice? Not breaking flow!

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
General Store said:
To those who say this segment will get boring: I disagree, as has been said she is improving remarkably each week and, even if she weren't; with videos like these once a week (even if she didn't change her song-structure or video-style) would take a long time to get boring.
Agreed, though it's once every two weeks. Rebecca is a great artist and has a great voice, and that's something I've said from the start and repeated again every fortnight on each video. And that's because I genuinely like her music, and it's also interesting and pleasing to see that in that time, and especially this week, the number of people posting negative reviews has gone down drastically. I'll admit that last fortnight I didn't like it. That, as I explained then, is simply because I'm not a metal fan. But this week, despite some dodgy lyrics in the chorous, was brilliant. The Worms acapella one is still my favourie, but that's because I love acapella a lot. This week though, the lyrics were mostly good, the style was great and the music fit the game greatly. The instrumentals were awesome and I still absolutely love Rebecca's voice. All in all, great work and a marked improvement to the metal one last fortnight. Keep it up girl, well done :D.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
While I've enjoyed your videos in the past, I think that this is one of the more memorable ones and I think it shows real progress. I will enjoy keeping up with these in weeks to come.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Also I'm tired of people speaking negatively of the Overlord video. It was refreshingly different, and completely awesome. Yeah, you heard me!

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I'm not going to say I love the song, but I really like how she uses a lot of instruments, particularly the strings and the ping thingy she used.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
She's improving.
I was prepared to say "Love the cinematography, but still sounds like she's talking more than singing".

But, it's an improvement.
I really do love the camerawork, it's very gorgeous. (Minus the game clips, obviously)

And the song actually sounded like a song.
Kudos.

Fritzvalt

Amazing Human Being
May 12, 2009
I enjoyed the song a lot. The tone of it was just right. Surprised there were no jokes about the whole morphine thing.

I look forward to more in the future.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
Fritzvalt said:
I enjoyed the song a lot. The tone of it was just right. Surprised there were no jokes about the whole morphine thing.

I look forward to more in the future.
I thought that there would be a big joke about this too, but in the end it was brought down by the fact that it's a shooting game with a woman - and most woman in games have problem with keeping their clothes or dressing properly.

About those that say it's too long or not interesting... it's the interent so there's always be such people "too long, didn't listen".
Zand88 said:
I guess the difference is that I know I watched her videos.

I didn't make any real accusations about that, just observing that she doesn't seem to really like games, from her track record. That may be the truth or not, but no matter which, it still is a quality there in her videos. It's certainly not baseless.
Also, I have to know her personally to know that? Ehhhh. If auteur theory means anything, then you can observe a person's opinions and perspective through patterns and reoccuring themes in their creative work. That, or base it off of what you know their behavior to be.
Meeting most people, I wouldn't automatically assume they like video games.. Going along with that, I wouldn't assume someone likes video games when their attitude toward it seems mostly negative. Just saying.

Oh well, can we agree to disagree?
I'd add that after seeing Sims 3 review nobody would assume that she didn't play the game. But now that there are so many shooters brought to songs a thought of woman playing them all might be suprising (pretty woman). If I didn't see her song about Resident Evil then I'd say that she might not like that kind of games - but I guess she can, and thanks to the Escapist she can play lots of kinds of games - even if she didn't play one or two of the games that she reviewed I enjoy the songs as they have some level of review, even if it was copied from somewhere else (like ZP) - in the end there's still songs and video clipis :)

standokan

May 28, 2009
Nice song for a well rather bad game. Here in the Netherlands we would say trowing pearls for swines (pearls being the song and swines would be the rather bad game)

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
This is a winner, I mean I really felt this one, it feels like a musical evolution, the lyrics actually flew really smoothly. This is seriously one of her best!

Chester41585

Mar 22, 2009
cobaltfram said:
We desperately need a CD of this; every song is pure gold.
I've got some ocean-front property in Nevada to sell you!

Anyways, I just saw it. I think it was better. Better than alot of the other ones that I've seen. I think she was actually playing some of those instruments this time, which is good. It's hard to explain how painful it is watching someone "strumsynch", especially if it's too obvious.
Still something with the lyrics. I don't know what it is. Maybe her accent, or maybe she's trying to lam words together to match the tempo, but there were points where I just had absolutely no idea what she was saying.

Overall, it was decent.