Rebecca Mayes Muses: War for Cybertron

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Was she... hitting a drum with a piece of broccoli?

Because that's what it looked like.

Wolfrug

Feb 11, 2009
Clever story and a clever original idea. :) I particularly liked the lines where you (ahem, Soundwave) had put together a video game using war footage from the war that wiped everyone else out. Put a nice spin on the whole macho-warmongering-robot thing (not that I've actually ever followed Transformers).

Good stuff!

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
Holy SHAZAM

Rebecca as Soundwave= Epic Win

...interesting song to say the least...it was odd...different...but I loved it :D

David Eller

Jun 26, 2010
Let me be honest, I love your music, but this was more criticism than music, compared to your other music I'd give it the shaky hand, rather than the thumbs up.

Honesty is Amnesty

We love you regardless <3

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Ne1butme said:
Sounds like Rebecca is channeling Sigur Ros.

Good choice if i might say so myself.
I found it to be more Björk than Sigur Rós.And I dislike both.

Fairly lacking to the other songs.While the lyrics were interesting,and the singing was good.But the music din't cut it for me.

El pup

Jun 26, 2010
Xavier78 said:
That was terrible. Usually I'm a big fan but that was just too much. I'm sorry but the last few videos you've posted were just rubbish.
I'm in the same boat with you there. I used to think she of her music amazing crafted melodies with humorous lyrics from the perspective of a girl gamer who embraced being girly rather than trying to be one of the guys...

As of lately my opinion of her and her more recent work hasn't been to high.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Wolfrug said:
Clever story and a clever original idea. :) I particularly liked the lines where you (ahem, Soundwave) had put together a video game using war footage from the war that wiped everyone else out. Put a nice spin on the whole macho-warmongering-robot thing (not that I've actually ever followed Transformers).

Good stuff!
(NERD ALERT!!!!)

In the new accepted canon from the novel Exodus, the war is fought because of differing ideals on how to do away with the caste system of Cybertron. One side led by Megatron and one led by Orion Pax, who is then given the name of Optimus and the title of Prime. Megatron had been working with Pax, and behind the scenes had been orchestrating terrorist attacks that could be blamed on the caste system, was outraged that Pax had been given leadership of the planet by being named Prime instead of him.

Now the reason their were no more Cybertronians being born was that the Decepticons had gained access to Dark Energon that corrupted the user (Energon being the fuel of Cybertronians) sort of like PCP mixed with Meth and Heroin, and to keep them from infecting the Allspark, they shot it off into space to protect it. The Decepticons did manage to infect the core of Cybertron with it and as a way to counteract it, Cybertron had to shut down for millions of years which led to the Autobots leaving in the Ark and eventually led to them and the Decepticons crashing on earth as had been established in 1984.

Ok, that was long but the thing that people are missing that don't follow the mythos is that the Autobots are fighting a just war to keep the Decepticons from just creating havok and terror to rule through sheer power and fear. Optimus Prime as a character has been established as someone who would prefer to work things out peacefully, but is also able to fight for what he believes in which is the freedoms of all beings.

So really it's a bit unfair to say they are warmongering. Yes they are in a war, but it's a war that most would rather not have to fight, but they do because they believe that the prinicples of peace and freedom are worth fighting for, no matter how at odds it seems to be.

(Sorry, I'm a huge Transformer fan and just wanted to throw out the reasons for the war since a lot of people just think of them as robots with big guns. Also, yes, there are similarities in the mythos and real life, but please don't take this post as an invitation to start a political discourse, as it's not the time nor place to do it.)

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I have to say I didn't really like the electric guitar part(s). After that soft start it just hurt my ears. But I liked the rest of it. And that was Icelandic wasn't it? Either that, or the language the Elves in the Lord of The Rings speak.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
RanD00M said:
Ne1butme said:
Sounds like Rebecca is channeling Sigur Ros.

Good choice if i might say so myself.
I found it to be more Björk than Sigur Rós.And I dislike both.

Fairly lacking to the other songs.While the lyrics were interesting,and the singing was good.But the music din't cut it for me.
You dislike Sigur Ros? I have a great swell of pity for you. I'm sorry, i'm really very sorry.

snotvomit

Mar 20, 2009
I love variety. That was superb - again!

I spend Friday afternoons (every other week) at work wondering what the song and video will be when I get home.

Thanks for exploring different styles. Please keep up the great work.

The video had plenty of game footage in it, too - which I think is important for these reviews.

Impluse_101

Jun 25, 2009
Icelandic....appealing in a interesting way...Never listened to Icelandicish Music before So I wouldn't know how to comment on that...wonder if there are any good icelandic musicians that I could listen too..

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Very haunting, but, I loved it...and a lagnauge I had never heard before...beautiful!

El pup

Jun 26, 2010
I can actually pinpoint when and where I started not liking her and her work.

-Plants Vs. Zombie: The music was weak, but not every song can be a hit.

-Mass effect 2: The Last good song she made before she became desperate for attention.

-The mirror: Sigh... If I wanted to listen to an insecure girl go on about how everthing makes her feel ugly, I'd ask my girlfriend to get dressed before we go out somewhere nice... The only difference is I get to have sex with my girlfriend afterwards... something a lot of Rebecca's male fans don't seem to be able to grasp as "something that ain't gonna happen with this chick."

-Behind the scenes part 1&2: Her going on and on about a lot of stuff that not many people really wanted to hear, answering maybe 5 questions from fans, and then setting up the infamous, un-called for and pointless attack on yahtzee as a "crush." It also sort of forced me to see that Rebecca isn't the brightest peanut in the turd. I mean she thought Yahtzee lived in england at first, she doesn't speak about anything other than how things make her "feel" which is a horrible barameter of measurement for ANYTHING seeing as it is a self centered perception. It's like finding out the artist you enjoy listening to has the mindset of a 4 year old.

-The Machine: At this point it just seemed like she was either grasping at straws to attempt to have another song, or connect her minorly successful gimic in to writing serious songs about "what it's like to be a girl" (because lord knows that's why I started listening to her)

-The Monster: The idea pool has run completely dry and it becomes obvious. The music itself was so boring and repetitive it made me feel as if I were waiting in the elevator of an establishment that subscribed to an XM channel that played only "the 'best' light rock."

-Heavy Rain: An interesting experiment that I considered neither good nor bad. However I'd be lying if I said I didn't find the armpit hair particularly appealing. Her patting her self on the back for "taking a huge risk" via her blog (even though nobody noticed the armpit hair because it was shot in a dark area, with low resolution) was also a little overkill. While the music itself was nothing special, it made me not like HER as a person even more.

-How to Write a song in an hour: I don't buy meat and wonder "how do they do this", I don't buy a videogame and wonder "how do they program this." As a former musician, I have an idea how songs get made, but I don't really care how it gets done. The funniest part is guitar rift she started with was amazing, but then she slowly wittled it away to something that was uninspired and mediocre at best. It was like watching someone take a .45 slug and chip it away until it was a B.B.

-Love song for Yahtzee: Despite all the flack and needless drama behind it, it was actually a GOOD SONG, it's just a shame she lowered her self to cheap shots and attention whoring to promote it. Then the BEGGING for Yahtzee to respond back like a pathetic 4 year old BEGGING for her parents to buy her a new doll was just sort of sad. Had it of been a stand alone song it would of been good, but it was a cheap publicity stunt by a raging feminist trying to make a point when it seems like she doesn't even fully understand what she is "raging" against.

-Transformers: It seems like she's not even trying anymore. Even worse as of lately she comes off like a self centered 4 year old talking about things they like, things they don't like, things they do for fun, etc. The music was bad enough to almost make me lose my faith in God. This is the kinda of crap I'd expect a burnt out rockstar who has far sailed past their prime to "experiment" (which is code for lazily crap out with zero effort) with. The problem is Rebecca isn't THAT popular. Don't get me wrong she has a following, but I would doubt if it even falls in the 10,000 (or even 5,000) person range.

It seems she's begining to let herself go after the VERY TINY taste of success she has had. She's surrounded herself with "yes" people who so much as praise whenever she takes a dump and wipes properly, she thinks everyone cares about the issues she does and demonizes those who don't, She's even going so far as starting "celebrity beef." It's just sad because she has talent and it is a unique thing she WAS doing... It just seems like all the talent has been wrung out of her and all that is left is a shallow withered husk.

Mr.Switchblade

Dec 1, 2008
There is being artsy and avante garde with music to actually explore the art form, and then there is just being a pretentious musician that sounds like crap. This was the latter.

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
Wow, I feel kind of alienated by this song, I don't understand what language it's sung in or who or what Sigur Rós is.
What the hell just happened ?
I feel so inadequate... *sob*
I'm such a low brow knuckle dragging caveman.
I guess I'm just not worthy of being a listener/viewer.
One minute I'm happy to see a new Rebecca Mayes Muses and the next I'm thrown into the dark unforgiving waters of ignorance and unsophistication.
It sounded sweet and endearing but I have no idea what it ment or what it was ment to mean...

I give it an eight of 13 W.T.F.H.W.T.

It kind of reminds me the the Ballet Mecanique, that is to say it's like a cacophony of sounds I don't fully understand but can enjoy.

Ballet Mecanique, kind of appropriate seeing as this is a "review" of Transformers WfC.

ButterFunky

May 12, 2010
El pup said:
Large thing you wrote
Well that's the music business for you, my good man. Also I like what you said about "celebrity beef". It has nothing do to with what you said it's just that it made me want some beef jerky.

I think she's doing this on purpose. I mean it's the same thing Vista did to promote Windows 7. Microsoft actually made the former suck so that the angry saps who got it will either have to adjust to a Mac or will have to wait for a short while to get Microsoft's apology cake.
In the same sense that Mayes is making this thing suck-ish so that we will lower our expectations because in our minds we know she's going to screw up. When that happens, she produces a giant two-handed sword when we expected her to use broccoli to kill us with. It's a risky move because there are some people like El pup here who will probably rage quit on her and do drugs and kill a bear with a stuffed bear in a bear costume.

El pup

Jun 26, 2010
ButterFunky said:
Well that's the music business for you, my good man. Also I like what you said about "celebrity beef". It has nothing do to with what you said it's just that it made me want some beef jerky.

...It's a risky move because there are some people like El pup here who will probably rage quit on her and do drugs and kill a bear with a stuffed bear in a bear costume.
It was probably the SLIM JIM ADVERTISEMENTS working their marketing magic on you, or beef jerky is just that amazingly great of a food.

As for the sucking on purpose thing, I see what your saying but I just find it doubtful just cause there is not much of a purpose for her to cull the heard of fans, seeing as she doesn't have an ungodly unmanageable following. In you're example you are talking about a driving a demand up via a stranglehold on computers. Rebecca Mayes doesn't necessarily have a strangle hold on music (or even the escapist) but even if she did she is not driving any sort of demand up.

Also she hasn't been writing good music for about 7 months now. That's a pretty long time for a tactic I'm not sure would work on any level to be honest. Even if she was just trying to drive our expectations down would it make more sense to quickly release bad music often over a short period of time rather than take long drawn out periods of time to update us with music that is purposely a disapointment?

And the amount drugs and number of people I murder while wearing my padded panda suit in my spare time is my business! Last time I checked it wasn't a crime to get high and murder someone... or was I high last time I looked that up... GOD DAMN IT I'M ABOUT TO GO KILL SOMEONE!

Joking aside, why would any artist want to purposely make bad art? You say it is to lower all of our expectations, but that would be like DaVinci inventing/painting horrible ideas on purpose so we appreciate the ones he "tried" on, it's just a waste of time on the audience and artists part since that time could just as easily be spent TRYING to make something good.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
El pup said:
Lots and Lots of Words
You know what is really sad? That you took the time to put together a logical, reasoned point of view that seemed largely coherent, and then you completely invalidated any shred of worth it may have had by including several pointless ad hominem arguments and outright insults.

We get it: you don't like her anymore. Thing is, most of the people posting here don't agree with you, and you're pretty much wasting both their time and yours by trying to evanglize in this forum. In the vein of your "I don't ask how a game is made" comment, I personally don't eat liver and then ***** about how much I hate liver. I just don't eat it in the first place, nor do I keep trying it to see if 'this time I like it'. Life is too short for wasting time like that. I suspect you are looking for some validation or a like-minded person to agree with you: again, I think you're making a very poor choice of venue. Perhaps you'd find more fertile ground in the 'off-topic' forum?

OT:
I generally enjoy the music, but this vid, I just... No. Not my thing, but I guess experimentation is to be expected. Playing the drum with broccoli almost made it worth watching tho.