Rebecca Mayes Muses: War for Cybertron

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
Maibus said:
How come everyone keeps going on about how different it sounds? Every one of these songs sounds the same, mix them right and you wind up with like a 30 minute long song. I liked War for Cybertron >.>
Please explain how they all sound the same, I just can't seem to hear this, her songs all sound different to my untrained ear.

Aran

Sep 27, 2003
I still think Sims 3 was the best song she did, but you don't see me bitching about it. Much less write a passive-aggressive essay about it, or an essay about an essay. Christ. To all you dudes churning out replies of 250 words or more: Cut your hair and get a fucking job.

You are literally making the internet more stupid.

Maibus

Aug 8, 2009
magicmonkeybars said:
Maibus said:
How come everyone keeps going on about how different it sounds? Every one of these songs sounds the same, mix them right and you wind up with like a 30 minute long song. I liked War for Cybertron >.>
Please explain how they all sound the same, I just can't seem to hear this, her songs all sound different to my untrained ear.

I forced myself to listen to all of her songs here and they all blended together after the first two.

ROBOcity123

Mar 7, 2010
I don't know if Rebecca is a feminist. I get that feeling from her comments and videos. On one of her videos she claimed that women were betrayed in a sexist fashion in video games. (listed no examples, exclude the Japanese and find me some.) She stated that Yahtzee was misogynistic but he is equal rights misanthropy. I start to feel like I'm being brainwashed by her videos but she is a singer/musician and it's just her opinion.

hydrahh

Apr 16, 2009
Didn't read all the comments, so don't know if has been said already, but every time I click on a Rebecca link, it sounds more or less like last week's song.

At least this time it was dealing with outer space robots, so it had a reason to sound spacey.

I wish you all the best, but I do not think I will be watching any more of these vids.

Samcanuck

Nov 26, 2009
solidstatemind said:
Samcanuck said:
I went in reverse order and understand what you are saying in this post. And I could except that if this was based off a single previous post and idea however you did have a few previous posts and many opinions and these seemed to mostly do what this guy was talking about...in my opinion ofcoarse; Attack people based on there views which differs from the norm of backing Ms. Mayes. And thats just the way I see it. I really don't 'care' either way but I do see where the guy was coming from, especially in lue of your response. Not starting a war, and I don't know either of you from Adam, but I just wanted to state my opinion on the information presented from an outside source...To Me you proved his point a bit, thats all. Good day.
Again, all I ask is that you provide examples of where I attacked either person for their opinion of RMM. That's the basis of this dispute. Xavier did not say "You're being just as rude in your responses." I probably would have had to admit that was somewhat true if he had. He specifically accused me of attacking someone for holding an opinion which I disagree with. Which is false. If it were true, why did I not take everyone who posted a negative opinion in this thread to task??? I didn't because I never had a problem with the negative opinion, I had problem with the needless insults.

If you choose not to provide examples, you cannot reasonably expect me to consider your comment valid. It's not my responsibility to defend your position.

Sorry if I'm being tedious about this, but jumping into an argument and saying that 'I proved his point' is still you publicly saying 'you think I'm wrong'. And while I've been known to be mistaken from time to time, I'm not just going to admit that I'm wrong because you happen to think so.
Naw man, its understandable....you are just defending your statement. I dont really want to pick apart your posts since this may just be a case of not correctly interpreting intension due to text and differing opinion, savy? You seem like a intellegent individual and I am not wishing to insult your intellegence.

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
That was... interesting. Either I'm not sophisticated enough to understand what made that song+video good, or it was a pretentious imitation of Bjork with random elements thrown in to give the appearance of having depth. Hitting a drum with broccoli, is that a metaphor that my feeble mind is simply unable to grasp?

DaBozz

May 27, 2009
Rebecca Mayes said:
I'm not here to voice my opinion on this vid (be it good or bad)
I'm here to voice a fact...there is a reason why people like Yathzee do not reply to posts in the forum, because no matter how you try to stand up for yourself the public -will- hate you for it. although the negative posts may upset you I think you would do better to ignore them, hell if I was in your shoes I don't think I would even look at the comments.

Rick1940

Jan 11, 2010
1 - I like that language. It sounded neat, but I don't speak Icelandic so I don't know if it was correct.
2 - If you like singing in non-English languages, may I suggest a song with Russian, Japanese, and Latin, somewhat like the Origa/Yoko Kanno piece "Inner Universe."
3 - The acrobatics were impressive, but the male dancer did not look like a natural hand-to-hand fighter. The female dancer actually looked more martial-arts-savvy than the male dancer.
4 - The musical talent seems to be pretty flexible. I think this song was very different than previous songs. I happen to like a band called "They Might Be Giants" which also tends to demonstrate great stylistic variation between songs. Perhaps future videos could include a song inspired by "They Might Be Giants."

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Sorry Becky but I could not understand a SINGLE word of this song and therefore have to agree with the others about this.

Were you using BROCCOLI??????

kanarctic

Jul 11, 2010
Damn but you people are vicious hey, this isn't my favorite video of hers by any means but some of the comments are embarrassing and it wasn't nearly as bad as you're making out.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
I appreciate the attempt to show what you could be doing other than playing a FPS that clearly did not draw you in. I, too, have a soft spot for the old Transformers but the new movies and shows do not touch it. Maybe if they did a game with a deep storyline and even deeper characters it would work. Just because they are robots does not prevent them from having intense feelings and motivations.

Lovely video, I look forward to your next piece!

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Now now, that's a bit harsh, Gyrefalcon, this game had better characterisation and writing (not a single cringeworthy line of dialogue in my opinion) than the two Michael Bay movies combined, and I doubt the third will flip the scales in its favour. And it brought us a more than satisfying backdrop to the cartoon series (which especially in its earliest episodes made no sense at all). The story of War for Cybertron was in my opinion no more and no less deep and complex than it needed to be. And the characterisation was great, each character felt like how I remembered him, and well, it was delightful to hear them converse. No doubt fuelled by nostalgia but hey. (And frankly, I'd rather have a simpler story than an overtly convoluted mess of a plot that tries to sell itself as deep and profound when it is in fact, mostly convoluted and nonsensical, here's looking at you, Hideo Kojima)

Point being, in the end of the day it's a story about two factions of transforming robots who do not get along. I'm certain that you could try and inject a tale of bittersweet cross faction romance into a Transformers game, but this game wasn't meant to do that. It was intended to show us how the situation came to be that the Transformers had to leave earth and how the players got to be in their respective positions, and in that regard it delivered in style.

Of course, if miss Mayes doesn't like the game that's her good right, I certainly thought, while immensely fun it but it certainly was haunted by a number of bugs that really shouldn't have gotten through testing, such as characters getting stuck in one another or getting catapulted halfway across the map when you're a jet. But hey, she has her opinion, I have mine, sadly I lack the talent to make a song about it. Which brings me to:
Digikid said:
Sorry Becky but I could not understand a SINGLE word of this song and therefore have to agree with the others about this.

Were you using BROCCOLI??????
Yes, yes she was. And how is not understanding a single word a problem? I'm from Belgium myself but regardless my Winamp playlist has had songs in the three languages of my country, English, but also Japanese, Russian, Swedish, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, Hebrew, Turkish, Hindi, Latin, Irish Gaelic, imaginary languages and I'm probably missing a few. And indeed, I don't understand most of those, but that doesn't matter, if they can carry across the feeling they wish to portray it was by all regards a good song in my book. Or if it's downright fun or catchy, and well, I can always look up translations of the lyrics online. And here you had the "translation" (as I'm sure this was a made up language used here) posted in the form of subtitles so not understanding it doesn't even come into the equation.

Granted, this was my first taste of miss Mayes her music, the allure of something Transformers related was too much to resist, but I wasn't disappointed, I had the feeling a good deal of it was very much tongue in cheek and doesn't need to be taken nearly as seriously as some of you are. And well, I'm never one to shy away from some experimental music as long as it sounds good. And this wasn't bad at all in my opinion, I've certainly heard far worse.

Long story short, chill people, if miss Mayes wants to experiment with her music, that's her good right, just like how it is her good right to dislike War for Cybertron (or secretly like its story at least, who knows) and put it in her song. All the same, I know these days people all too easily jump the gun and say an artist has jumped the shark or even say he or she is downright rubbish now, but please be more careful in your choice of words when you do it somewhere where the artist can read it. Like it or not, she did put several hours into making this and no one likes to see something they spent so long in brutalised in the manner some of you have been doing in this topic.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
On the contrary I applaud Miss Mayes for her work. I am also a musical person but my gift is music "by the ear" and then being able to play it out in a short time...that and a couple other unusual "gifts".

Musicians are a unique bunch. What may not be understandable to me will be to others. I encourage her to continue her gift....be be certain of what is constructive criticism and what is not.

It is heard to tell when there is just text though in the criticism. Much easier when you TALK. LOL!!!!