Rebuilding Rohan: LOTRO: Riders of Rohan Preview

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Rebuilding Rohan: LOTRO: Riders of Rohan Preview

Including an exclusive look at Meduseld, the Golden Hall of Edoras.

Read Full Article

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I'm always happy to read about people putting true craftsmanship into game development. I never played LOTRO but I loved what Turbine did with DDO. IMO it is the standard up to which all Free To Play games should be held.

And while I'm not the biggest fan of Tolkien's writing the review makes the world look intriguing and worth exploring.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Man, I pre-ordered this expansion and everything, but...I don't think I can go back to LotRO after GW2. I just...I don't know.

Alilacia

Dec 9, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
People still play LotRO?
Been happily playing it since launch and am looking forward to seeing Rohan. :)

Mumorpuger said:
Holy cow, that soundtrack is amazing.
The soundtrack is one of the things I like most about the game and it's only improved now that Chance Thomas is back doing the score (imo). Apparently it's available in iTunes but I haven't taken a look for myself yet.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
Shjade said:
Man, I pre-ordered this expansion and everything, but...I don't think I can go back to LotRO after GW2. I just...I don't know.
I feel yah. Like, before GW2 that's what i was playing, and i loved it. It's got excellent music, and it utilizes huge, expansive environments much to my enjoyment. Plus, it just feels like an actual world. But after playing GW2 and then going back, it definitely didn't feel like "getting back in the saddle". Moving around felt difficult, combat felt extremely stationary, and i dunno, it just didn't handle as well as GW2 spoiled me now. I still love the world and its quests, and i love my hunter character, so i'm hoping i can overcome the jarring transition and get back into it, especially since I'd love to support a game that the devs seem to really put their all into.

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
jollybarracuda said:
Honestly it isn't even the gameplay that bothers me nearly as much as graphical differences between the two games. Even on my new whiz-bang machine LotRO is choppy. Not like slide-show choppy, the game runs fine, but riding around the countryside consistently skips about every other second. It's obnoxiously jarring and seems to happen at pretty much any graphical level (though it's exaggerated at the upper end). That bothers me the most.

But yeah on top of that the combat is much more stiff with the queued actions and animations and all that, and the quests, good lord, the quests. And SO many buttons. Whenever I try to go back to my burglar it's like trying to learn another language remembering what my three bars of hotkeys all do (some of the classes are much less complex, but a burglar can easily use upwards of 12 abilities in a regular fight). Hunters at least are fairly simple to remember how to just pick up and play, but...

Oh! And crafting. LotRO crafting can eat something unpleasant. Not that I'm having a great time trying to skill up weaponsmithing (still stuck around 40 compared to my ~300 leatherworking), but at least crafting a mess of components doesn't take five minutes of sitting idle in GW2.

It's far from a perfect game - FAR from it - but the things I like most about it are some of the things I like least about LotRO. Makes it hard to transition backward. :|

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
People still play LotRO?
I've been playing off and on for two years. The only time I'm not playing is when I don't have the time(playing something else at the moment) or I don't have the money for the sub.

F2P is nice, but I like to have everything unlocked. Besides, with my sub of thirty-dollars for three months, I get 500 turbine points to use on whatever I want in the store.

I guess it is just the that I like the universe and that is the reason I keep coming back. I played WoW for about three months after an LotRO stint and found that I just like LotRO better.

Considering the pace that Turbine has been taking with the trilogy, I hope the game lasts as long if not longer than WoW has so far, because LotRO is just barely into the second book by the end of this latest expansion.