Reccomend me a T.V series!

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
I personally love:

Smallville
Heroes
Scrubs
Modern Family

They are my favourite T.V shows, to bad Smallville, Heroes, and scrubs all got cancelled!

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
Allo Allo
Are you being served?
M*A*S*H*
Doctor Who
The Simpsons
Big Bang Theory
Two and a Half Men
That 70's Show
Chuck

TehKnifeh

Custard Connoisseur
Dec 26, 2008
Eadd said:
Accidentally on Purpose
American Dad!
An Idiot Abroad
Being Human-UK Version
Buffy
Californiacation
Chuck
Community
Cougar Town
Deadliest Warrior
Dexter
Dirty Sexy Money
Doctor Who
Family Guy
Free Agents
Futurama
Glee
Greys Annatomy
Heroes
House
How I Met Your Mother
Misfits
Modern Family
My Name Is Earl
Outnumbered-UK Version
PhoneShop
Prison Break
Raising Hope
Scrubs
Simpsons
Skins-UK Version
Smallville
South Park
Spartacus
Stargate Atlantis
Stargate SG1
Stargate Universe
Startrek Voyager
The Big Bang Theory
The Cleveland Show
The I.T. Crowd
The Inbetweeners
Top Gear-UK Version
V

...I think I might watch too much Television :/
^^ What he said :x

Although the one that really jumps out at me from this list so lovingly supplied is House.

I steered clear for this for a while even though it was Hugh Laurie who is a genius (go dig out some Black Adder with him Rowin Atkinson and Stephen Fry) but when I randomly saw one episode I was hooked.

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Rescue Me.
Californication.

Although Rescue Me kind of takes a dive in the last couple seasons, it's still pretty good.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
warprincenataku said:
Yes, you are correct sir in assuming SGU was indeed my first venture into the Stargate Universe. Well... that's not entirely true. I did see the movie some umpteen years ago, but never watched a single episode of the television series. By the time I got around to wanting to watch it, it was so already established that I thought it may be hard to jump in midway through. So when I saw a brand new Stargate series being created I jumped at the chance to start from the beginning. I was hooked, although as my friends who liked the original would say it was terrible, I having no prior knowledge of the show found it quite enjoyable.

Long time ago I used to watch Torchwood, season 1 and 2, but I haven't kept up with that one much after season 2. These are pretty much the only shows I've seen in the past few years, I'm quite happy with them. I just got into Walking Dead when it came out because everyone was talking about it and was presently surprised how quickly it sucked me in. Also, there's a very funny/not so funny story involving me, my wife, sleeping, rolling over, moaning and me waking up half dazed thinking I was being attacked by a zombie, fill in the blanks from there.
My first experience with Stargate was like you in the original movie, I think 16 or so years ago probably more. There was a Stargate super nintendo game, that definitely tells its age.

I do highly recommend, whenever you get to chance, watching Stargate SG-1. There are 10 seasons and 2 after season ten movies. I believe in episode numbers it is at least 215 episodes, somewhere around there. I have all but season 10 on DVD, just never got around to buying it.

Stargate Atlantis ran for 5 seasons, 2 or 3 of which when SG-1 was still running. It gets more in depth with the ancients that built the stargates.

When you watch these two shows, you will realize just how little amount of storytelling that SGU does. It would be way better if it gave relationship angles a rest and actually got to some storytelling about the real subject of the show. I don't know, to me it feels that all this relationship stuff feels like stall for the writers, because they've written themselves into such an epic story that they don't know how to actually write it. They come up with half an idea about the ship or the stargate and then layer a bunch of soap opera-like relationship stuff to try and fill the other 30 to 35 minutes of a 42 or so minute show.

On Torchwood, it didn't go for much longer after season two, just the 5 part mini series Children of Earth, and that was it.

Torchwood was good, but it was just Russell T. riding of the coattails of Doctor Who with a spin off.

Russell wasn't very caring about Doctor Who anyway. I think he purposefully wrote Torchwood into Doctor Who canon because he had already planned a spin off show to try an ride on Doctor Who's success.

The man is a moron if you ask me, and pretty much every Doctor Who fan. He actually stated something to the affect about Doctor Who, "Screw canon, I can write my own canon." He's also the idiot that wanted to make a Doctor Who movie here in America, but it was going to be totally against canon, because it wasn't going to involve any current Doctors. He wanted to cast Johnny Depp as the Doctor. He said that he wanted to make something that reached people other than fans, which is his way of saying, "Screw you fans, I can do what I want even if it will screw up the image of the show and make people new to it confused."

Here is the article on the Escapist about it.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101785-Rumor-Johnny-Depp-Starring-in-Doctor-Who-Movie

I haven't heard much about it lately, I'm hoping it fell through, or it was just Russell T. trying to make waves to make fans made, which he loves to do.

geezah91

Feb 17, 2010
TheKnifeh pretty much said it all, however i find it astounding that nobody has mentioned Spooks yet, it is absolute quality.

Woops, i meant to say eadd said it all, i just read the wrong name, sorry eadd.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
I am sure that Doctor Who has been recommended millions of times by now, but I have to recommend it anyway. Sure, there is a vague story tying all of the episodes together, they can be watched out of order and still be enjoyed. Except for two part show and the season finales. Yet, even those have a brief "Last time on Dr. Who..." before those episodes, so there is no excuse not to watch Doctor Who. None at all!

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Broken Orange said:
I am sure that Doctor Who has been recommended millions of times by now, but I have to recommend it anyway. Sure, there is a vague story tying all of the episodes together, they can be watched out of order and still be enjoyed. Except for two part show and the season finales. Yet, even those have a brief "Last time on Dr. Who..." before those episodes, so there is no excuse not to watch Doctor Who. None at all!
It's best though if it is watched in order. I don't care what some people say, don't skip anything. Because, other than what you mentioned, there are quite a few episodes that need background from the other episodes, heck, season one needs to be watched before season four, or some things won't be understood.

I wouldn't call the stories tying everything together vague. The only one I didn't get what was going on until the end, was season one. After that I understood I needed to pay attention to every little detail in each episode. It's always fun to see at the end of each season, how many episodes I spotted clues in that hinted at the season finale.

Now I've felt bad that I haven't been able to watch as much of the old series (1963-1989) as I would like to. It is actually a must if you truly want to get the relationship between The Doctor and The Master. I really didn't get the whole ending of season 3 until I went back to the old series and watched episodes that involved The Master.

So on top of your no excuse in not watching Doctor Who, I say there is no excuse for not watching the old series along with it. The only excuse that I will let slide is availability on the internet for watching, or money to spend on the DVDs. If I had the money now, I would buy season five of the new series (already have the other 4 and the 10th Doctor specials) and every episode of the old series on DVD that I don't already have.

So if you have the availability to watch it, there is no excuse not to.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
Sonic Doctor said:
Broken Orange said:
It's best though if it is watched in order. I don't care what some people say, don't skip anything. Because, other than what you mentioned, there are quite a few episodes that need background from the other episodes, heck, season one needs to be watched before season four, or some things won't be understood.

I wouldn't call the stories tying everything together vague. The only one I didn't get what was going on until the end, was season one. After that I understood I needed to pay attention to every little detail in each episode. It's always fun to see at the end of each season, how many episodes I spotted clues in that hinted at the season finale.

Now I've felt bad that I haven't been able to watch as much of the old series (1963-1989) as I would like to. It is actually a must if you truly want to get the relationship between The Doctor and The Master. I really didn't get the whole ending of season 3 until I went back to the old series and watched episodes that involved The Master.

So on top of your no excuse in not watching Doctor Who, I say there is no excuse for not watching the old series along with it. The only excuse that I will let slide is availability on the internet for watching, or money to spend on the DVDs. If I had the money now, I would buy season five of the new series (already have the other 4 and the 10th Doctor specials) and every episode of the old series on DVD that I don't already have.

So if you have the availability to watch it, there is no excuse not to.
In my defense, I am only in season three of the new series. Also, "vague" might be the wrong term to use. "They are loosely tied together but each episode is still great on their own." While it is best to watch it in order, you shouldn't let that get in your way to start watching it. Also, where can I find the original Doctor Who series on the internet? Hulu?

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Sherlock. Sure, there are only three episodes that are ninety minutes long each, but that's two hundred and seventy minutes of awesomeness.

Sonic Doctor

Jan 9, 2010
Broken Orange said:
In my defense, I am only in season three of the new series. Also, "vague" might be the wrong term to use. "They are loosely tied together but each episode is still great on their own." While it is best to watch it in order, you shouldn't let that get in your way to start watching it. Also, where can I find the original Doctor Who series on the internet? Hulu?
Not on Hulu, I wish somewhere online would pick it up. All I can give you is this:

http://www.sidereel.com/Doctor_Who_%28Classic%29

It is a list of the majority of the original/classic episodes. Sidereel use to have links to places where you could watch it online, but ever since the DVDs of the old series have been coming out, it has been disappearing off the internet.

Now I just checked, some of the links that use to be on Sidereel in the past that were to youtube, and some of the episodes are still on youtube.

Now an important note about the old series is that it was a half-hour show, where each story arch was usually made up of at least 4 episodes sometimes more. I know there is one story arch from the 60's that had at least 10-12 episodes.

So just use the list from the link I gave you and search youtube and other sites you can think of. You are bound to stumble on something. For the most part you will find mostly the 5th Doctor's episodes, the ones I saw just recently on youtube are "Kinda" and "The Visitation".

Good Hunting.

End

Nov 27, 2010
Lost
Scrubs
The Big Bang Theory
The IT Crowd
Black Books

All of them I thought were brilliant, although some (like Black Books) have ended their run, so you might need to buy box sets or something to watch them.

Also, the rebooted series of Doctor Who.

Rofl-Mayo

Mar 11, 2010
American Dad, I like it more than Family Guy, and definitely more than the Cleveland Show.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
If it hasn't already been mentioned, NCIS. I just think it's really really good.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
dj Facchiano said:
I just finished watching season 5 of Dexter and now have nothing to watch :( sooooooooo I was hoping you fine gentlemen from the lands of escapistmagazine.com would be able to share your T.V wisdom with me. My favorite series have been prison break, dexter, and battle star galatica. I'm not a big fan of anime. THANK YOU GENTLEMEN.
Based on your examples, I'd check out Sons of Anarchy. I thought it totally sounded dumb - a show about a biker gang. But I gave it a chance when I saw the lineup of Ron Pearlman, Katey Segal and Henry Rollins. Great freakin' show.

You can pick up Caprica on DVD (cancelled during it's first season). It's harder to get into then BattleStar but it's damned good. And Ronald D. Moore is working on another series in that universe.

If you liked Dexter, you should check out Showtime's other original content. I didn't like The Tudors but I've found United States of Tara, Nurse Jackie and Weeds to be addictive.

If you're looking for comedy, Community is the best damned thing on television right now, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is amazing. How I Met Your Mother is also great (but prepare yourself - it has a laugh track), and I've seen a few episodes of Modern Family - also impressive.