Recommend a manga

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
4,828
0
0
I've been a decent anime fan for a while, but with two exceptions I've never read manga. I'm curious if there's anything I'm really missing out on.

Berserk is one of the best things I've ever read, and it's very complex. I love the characters and amazing story, and I appreciate the thought put into it.

I'm also a fan of Mohiro Kitoh, who created Narutaru (shadowstar) and Bakurano Ours. The character development was absolutely brilliant, and it had very dark, serious themes.

Are there any mature or sophisticated stories that I need to read? They don't have to be dark or dramatic, but I do want something that's mature in its tone.
 

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
1,120
0
0
Uzumaki. If I had to actually recommend a manga, I would recommend that one. It is a very surreal horror anthology around which is a central plot. It's actually very good in parts too.

Did you know there is a spiral in your ear?
 

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
10,400
0
0
*clears throat*

Okay, just click on the titles to get some descriptions.

This manga's creator, Natsume Ono, has a pretty unusual drawing style. It might look amateurish at first glance, but believe me, it's all deliberate. This manga creator knows what she's doing.

The plot is a drama. It's been years since I read it, but it's about a young man named Ian who's looking for his mother. It's really great, so make sure to check it out.

This manga take splace at a home for children who can't live with their parents for one reason or another. Every chapter is stand-alone. Just like not simple, it's the kind of manga you can't really describe. You have to see it for yourself. But let me put it this way: If it was a movie, it'd be shown in arty theaters. If it were a novel, it'd be a literary novel. Just... just check it out, okay? And don't let the artstyle, which I love but might seem a bit weird at first, turn you off it. Make sure to actually read at least one chapter and judge the series by that.

Two friends. Hojo and Asami. As children, they survived getting out of the Cambodian Killing Fields, and made it to Japan in one piece. Now, they both strive for the top. Hojo's sight is set on a top position in the yakuza, while Asami struggles to become a member of the Japanese Diet. It's an absoultuely fantastic drama/thriller, highly recommended.

A young Japanese reporter named Takashi Jo gets assigned to cover aspiring presidential candidate Kenneth Yamaoka's work on his campaign to be commander in chief. Jo gets to stay close to Yamaoka 24/7 in order to be able to create an intimate portrait of the candidate. But what nobody but Jo and Yamaoka knows is that Yamaoka is secretly Jo's father.

None of these series (except for occasionally Sanctuary contain any blood and gore. They're genuinely mature stories that are about characterization and drama. I highly recommend all of them.
 

Starbird

New member
Sep 30, 2012
710
0
0
Berserk is fantastic.

Gantz is really, really, really, really good - for the first volume. It is still fairly good after that but goes off the deep end plot wise.

It's a bit overplayed, but Death Note is a cultural phenomenon for a reason. Although I preferred the anime to be honest.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,193
1,220
118
Yotsubato

A manga about a 4-year old girl turning the ordinary into the extraordinary. Yes, it might sound extremely childish, but this is the most sophisticated story about a 4-year old goofing off that you'll ever read. It's by the same guy who did Azumanga Daioh.

Yeah, I don't care if it's not totally mature, this manga is fucking great and everyone needs to know about it.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
Fox12 said:
Berserk is one of the best things I've ever read, and it's very complex. I love the characters and amazing story, and I appreciate the thought put into it.
Started it last week since I remembered Casual Shinji and others raving about it on here the last few years. Finished all 37 1/2 volumes in four days LOL

Gotta say, Volume 13 traumatized me. Shit was x100 more horrifying than the Red Wedding :(

In fact the main thing driving me to read it so quickly was to see if Casca's mind/heart heals. Looks like we're not quite there yet. Poor girl :(

I have a few issues with it, but overall it's a fantastic manga with unrivaled art and some interesting characters. Always fun to see how the Japanese interpret western fantasy/folklore.

I'm actually looking for a manga to pick up right now, but I am really picky unfortunately. Also looking for a new fantasy novel series to start...
 

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
802
0
0
So... how dark is your sense of humour? If it's as black as the coffee I'm drinking right now, you need the best thing ever: Dorohedoro. It's about the battle between sorcerors and the people who can no longer stand to be their victims (one of the main characters sports a lizard head thanks to one of 'em, if only he knew which...), but also crime lords, devils and they're cute & quirky/holy shit that's fucked up traditions, annual zombie hunts that are totally fun so bring your kids, and a giant cockroach that only knows one word: shocking.

Would you rather have something more serious? Then you need the other best thing ever: Vinland Saga. Vikings, a quest for revenge, asshole characters you can't help but kinda admire, and some surprising twists that take the series in new directions. If you like those epic, semi-historical television series they're pumping out right now, you'll love Vinland Saga.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,193
1,220
118
Fappy said:
Fox12 said:
Berserk is one of the best things I've ever read, and it's very complex. I love the characters and amazing story, and I appreciate the thought put into it.
Started it last week since I remembered Casual Shinji and others raving about it on here the last few years. Finished all 37 1/2 volumes in four days LOL

Gotta say, Volume 13 traumatized me. Shit was x100 more horrifying than the Red Wedding :(

In fact the main thing driving me to read it so quickly was to see if Casca's mind/heart heals. Looks like we're not quite there yet. Poor girl :(
And the amazing thing is... you know it's coming, right from the start you know (roughly) what's going to happen. And yet when it does, it still hits you like a ton of bricks. The way Miura ratchets up this sense of impending despair - starting with the jailbreak and culminating with the Eclipse - is absolutely brilliant.
 

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
10,400
0
0
Casual Shinji said:
Fappy said:
Fox12 said:
Berserk is one of the best things I've ever read, and it's very complex. I love the characters and amazing story, and I appreciate the thought put into it.
Started it last week since I remembered Casual Shinji and others raving about it on here the last few years. Finished all 37 1/2 volumes in four days LOL

Gotta say, Volume 13 traumatized me. Shit was x100 more horrifying than the Red Wedding :(

In fact the main thing driving me to read it so quickly was to see if Casca's mind/heart heals. Looks like we're not quite there yet. Poor girl :(
And the amazing thing is... you know it's coming, right from the start you know (roughly) what's going to happen. And yet when it does, it still hits you like a ton of bricks. The way Muira ratchets up this sense of impending despair - starting with the jailbreak and culminating with the Eclipse - is absolutely brilliant.
Oh yeah. Preach, friend.
Casual Shinji said:
Yotsubato

A manga about a 4-year old girl turning the ordinary into the extraordinary. Yes, it might sound extremely childish, but this is the most sophisticated story about a 4-year old goofing off that you'll ever read. It's by the same guy who did Azumanga Daioh.

Yeah, I don't care if it's not totally mature, this manga is fucking great and everyone needs to know about it.
Seconded. I'd say that this is actually a very mature manga, though. The way it sees the joy and sweetness in everyday life is onee of the most mature things you could do. Way more mature than, say, Gantz's blood-and-gore-fest. (Though I do enjoy said blood-and-gore-fest.)
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
Fappy said:
Fox12 said:
Berserk is one of the best things I've ever read, and it's very complex. I love the characters and amazing story, and I appreciate the thought put into it.
Started it last week since I remembered Casual Shinji and others raving about it on here the last few years. Finished all 37 1/2 volumes in four days LOL

Gotta say, Volume 13 traumatized me. Shit was x100 more horrifying than the Red Wedding :(

In fact the main thing driving me to read it so quickly was to see if Casca's mind/heart heals. Looks like we're not quite there yet. Poor girl :(
And the amazing thing is... you know it's coming, right from the start you know (roughly) what's going to happen. And yet when it does, it still hits you like a ton of bricks. The way Muira ratchets up this sense of impending despair - starting with the jailbreak and culminating with the Eclipse - is absolutely brilliant.
Yeah, I am in complete agreement there. I am really curious what direction the story will be taking soon. My gut tells me that, aside from filler, we're getting pretty close to the end? Honestly it could go on much longer, but it feels like something big is going to happen soon.

Do you think the series will have a second tragedy or do you think it will come with the end of the story? I honestly don't think I could take much more abuse in regards to Guts and Casca T^T
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,193
1,220
118
Fappy said:
Yeah, I am in complete agreement there. I am really curious what direction the story will be taking soon. My gut tells me that, aside from filler, we're getting pretty close to the end? Honestly it could go on much longer, but it feels like something big is going to happen soon.

Do you think the series will have a second tragedy or do you think it will come with the end of the story? I honestly don't think I could take much more abuse in regards to Guts and Casca T^T
Considering the state of the world, I don't think there's more places they can really go with the story.

As for how it's going to end... I don't know. If you've heard me rave about Berserk you'll likely also be aware of how I'm not the biggest fan of everything that came after volume 22. Things have crept into the story that really kind of annoy me. But more than that I feel like the series set itself up to such unfathomable heights that it's impossible to give it a worthy ending. Shit just got way too epic.

What ending we will get I think will be of a somewhat happy variety, since the manga itself has gotten way more lighthearted... despite all the troll rape and pregnant women being dumped into demon sludge for a less than savory purpose.
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
Casual Shinji said:
Fappy said:
Yeah, I am in complete agreement there. I am really curious what direction the story will be taking soon. My gut tells me that, aside from filler, we're getting pretty close to the end? Honestly it could go on much longer, but it feels like something big is going to happen soon.

Do you think the series will have a second tragedy or do you think it will come with the end of the story? I honestly don't think I could take much more abuse in regards to Guts and Casca T^T
Considering the state of the world, I don't think there's more places they can really go with the story.

As for how it's going to end... I don't know. If you've heard me rave about Berserk you'll likely also be aware of how I'm not the biggest fan of everything that came after volume 22. Things have crept into the story that really kind of annoy me. But more than that I feel like the series set itself up to such unfathomable heights that it's impossible to give it a worthy ending. Shit just got way too epic.

What ending we will get I think will be of a somewhat happy variety, since the manga itself has gotten way more lighthearted... despite all the troll rape and pregnant women being dumped into demon sludge for a less than savory purpose.
I actually like the lighter shift in tone (I really like Schierke, who no doubt contributes to that), but like you pointed out, the random hyper-grotesque shit that gets thrown in at this stage is... very jarring. Really wasn't sure why the pregnant women/demon sludge thing even happened outside of the narrative reminding us "this story is dark". And the troll thing just was there to remind you that if you have vagina in this setting it will get raped eventually, I guess >.> (one of the main things that irks me about the series as a whole, really)

I am not entirely convinced it will be a 100% happy ending. They've built up the berserker armor so much that I will be honestly surprised if Guts doesn't either accidentally kill or mortally wound one of his friends. I think some kind of bittersweet ending would fit the best. An ending where the good guys find peace and poetic justice in achieved... and by that I mean Griffith gets skull-fucked by the rape Horse and/or Baphomet in hell for the rest of eternity :D
 

Avalanche91

New member
Jan 8, 2009
604
0
0
Its a bit more light-hearted but I'll take any oppertunity to recommend Full Metal Alchemist. It has some really dark and dramatic moments, plenty of likeable characters and a great over-arching story.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,193
1,220
118
Fappy said:
I actually like the lighter shift in tone (I really like Schierke, who no doubt contributes to that), but like you pointed out, the random hyper-grotesque shit that gets thrown in at this stage is... very jarring. Really wasn't sure why the pregnant women/demon sludge thing even happened outside of the narrative reminding us "this story is dark". And the troll thing just was there to remind you that if you have vagina in this setting it will get raped eventually, I guess >.> (one of the main things that irks me about the series as a whole, really)
I'm generally fine with the lighter tone. I really liked the Fairy Tale chapters with Schierke pushing her magic weight around. It also gave a really nice insight into how this world sort of operates with the different layers of reality/existence, and how magic enters into that. And how it ultimately ended with...

...Slant attempting to enter the physical world...

...at which point I just squeed like a little fucking girl.

It's other things I really don't like, such as the Berserk armor, and you don't want to get me started on that. I hate how Farnese has become this kind of boring goody-two shoes, and how all the main women are now all hot for Guts.
 

Starbird

New member
Sep 30, 2012
710
0
0
I actually like the lighter shift in tone (I really like Schierke, who no doubt contributes to that), but like you pointed out, the random hyper-grotesque shit that gets thrown in at this stage is... very jarring. Really wasn't sure why the pregnant women/demon sludge thing even happened outside of the narrative reminding us "this story is dark". And the troll thing just was there to remind you that if you have vagina in this setting it will get raped eventually, I guess >.> (one of the main things that irks me about the series as a whole, really)

I am not entirely convinced it will be a 100% happy ending. They've built up the berserker armor so much that I will be honestly surprised if Guts doesn't either accidentally kill or mortally wound one of his friends. I think some kind of bittersweet ending would fit the best. An ending where the good guys find peace and poetic justice in achieved... and by that I mean Griffith gets skull-fucked by the rape Horse and/or Baphomet in hell for the rest of eternity :D
Yeah that's Berserk's thing. It gets dark...then gradually lightens up and then sucker punches you with something pitch black and horrible. Very curious to see where the story is going now.

If you like Berserk I cannot recommend Gantz strongly enough. *Not* for the faint of heart though.
 

ZiggyE

New member
Nov 13, 2010
502
0
0
Oyasumi Punpun
Gunslinger Girl
Monster
20th Century Boys (and mini-sequel/conclusion 21st Century Boys)
Pluto
Onani Master Kurosawa (don't let the title put you off)
 

Fappy

\[T]/
May 1, 2020
12,010
0
0
Country
United States
Starbird said:
I actually like the lighter shift in tone (I really like Schierke, who no doubt contributes to that), but like you pointed out, the random hyper-grotesque shit that gets thrown in at this stage is... very jarring. Really wasn't sure why the pregnant women/demon sludge thing even happened outside of the narrative reminding us "this story is dark". And the troll thing just was there to remind you that if you have vagina in this setting it will get raped eventually, I guess >.> (one of the main things that irks me about the series as a whole, really)

I am not entirely convinced it will be a 100% happy ending. They've built up the berserker armor so much that I will be honestly surprised if Guts doesn't either accidentally kill or mortally wound one of his friends. I think some kind of bittersweet ending would fit the best. An ending where the good guys find peace and poetic justice in achieved... and by that I mean Griffith gets skull-fucked by the rape Horse and/or Baphomet in hell for the rest of eternity :D
Yeah that's Berserk's thing. It gets dark...then gradually lightens up and then sucker punches you with something pitch black and horrible. Very curious to see where the story is going now.

If you like Berserk I cannot recommend Gantz strongly enough. *Not* for the faint of heart though.
I've read the first few volumes of Gantz and hated it. The art was good, but I found the story way too juvenile for my taste >.>
 

sextus the crazy

New member
Oct 15, 2011
2,348
0
0
Fox12 said:
I've been a decent anime fan for a while, but with two exceptions I've never read manga. I'm curious if there's anything I'm really missing out on.

Berserk is one of the best things I've ever read, and it's very complex. I love the characters and amazing story, and I appreciate the thought put into it.

I'm also a fan of Mohiro Kitoh, who created Narutaru (shadowstar) and Bakurano Ours. The character development was absolutely brilliant, and it had very dark, serious themes.

Are there any mature or sophisticated stories that I need to read? They don't have to be dark or dramatic, but I do want something that's mature in its tone.
Gunslinger Girl: It's a manga about the Italian government secretly employing child soldiers for internal counter-terrorism purposes. It's got the right mix of characterization, action, political intrigue, etc. It's more "realistic" in tone and art-style and delves into the thought processes and motivations around terrorism.
 

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
2,729
0
0
-Onani Master Kurosawa

I won't say anything about it because no words can describe this manga. It's a fucking fantastic manga that not enough people give a chance because of the... subject matter.
 

DarkhoIlow

New member
Dec 31, 2009
2,531
0
0
Vinland Saga
Vagabond
Dead Tube (new)
Hideout (short and complete)
Tokyo Ghoul + Tokyo Ghoul RE
One Punch Man
Terra Formars
Ajin

Manhwa:

The Breaker
Tower of God