Recommend good Rap/Hip-Hop songs/groups

JdA

Nov 8, 2010
I'm a big fan of The Coup, specifically the vocal work of Boots Riley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

Boots also works with Tom Morello in Street Sweeper Social Club, a little RATM-ish than straight up rap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQFWAXNQzAA

randomrob1968

Sep 26, 2011
late 80s to the late 90s was a watershed of great hip-hop!

Jungle Brothers

<youtube=lqGdicZqrHM>

Jurassic 5

<youtube=XsZKrctSDaw>

<youtube=PgpDN-bARwc>

Public Enemy

<youtube=am9BqZ6eA5c>

Tribe Called Quest

<youtube=NaIDj6vBEoU>

De La Soul

<youtube=gzGRhxAkHPk>

Consolidated

<youtube=hbFBZUk3PRI>

Digital Underground

<youtube=CAeFlGTWhsE>

Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy

<youtube=5J_qadIwM60>

Erik B and Rakim

<youtube=OPkWYTUiPTo>

MC 900 Foot Jesus

<youtube=_KZ3xpsgdbQ>

Missy Elliot

<youtube=UODX_pYpVxk>

Paris

<youtube=hKRAFPHD8W4>

the Pharcyde

<youtube=1hZKN4AZ63g>

3rd Bass

<youtube=KRKDgzlfUBY>

TLC

<youtube=8WEtxJ4-sh4>

Del the Funkee Homosapien

<youtube=wk2ISOa2jEQ>

Beastie Boys

<youtube=BptQHAW2T5M>

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Well, seeing as gangsta rap is the only kind I'm into, I guess I can't link anything. But I'll have you know, OP, that you're wrong. Lyrics aren't the only thing Rap has. That's an incredibly ignorant thing to say, to be honest.
I know we're dealing with opinions here, and maybe I'm just an atmosphere person through and through, but the beat is as important to me as writing. In fact it's usually what draws me in initially.

When I first heard this...
that eerie, haunted beat struck me first, and drew me in.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
piinyouri said:
Completely agreed. For me, the beat and other music, as well as the vocal delivery itself (lyrics aside) are more important than the words the vocalists are rapping. Talking about some sick, dark beats:

EDIT: Oh, and then of course there's this classic, which has an absolutely fucked up beat to accompany the fucked up lyrics. Amazing shit:

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
piinyouri said:
Completely agreed. For me, the beat and other music, as well as the vocal delivery itself (lyrics aside) are more important than the words the vocalists are rapping. Talking about some sick, dark beats:

EDIT: Oh, and then of course there's this classic, which has an absolutely fucked up beat to accompany the fucked up lyrics. Amazing shit:

Fuck yeah. Love that stuff.
Yup, it's all in the beat. It's the landscape in which the lyricist stands and delivers his message or tale.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
piinyouri said:
Aye, indeed. I just remembered another good one. Never thought I'd hear a dark-ish beat in a G-funk song (I guess there were one or two on Dre's Chronic), so it blew me away when I first heard it. (OP will fucking hate it though, eheh)

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Reincarnatedwolfgod said:
rap and hip hop are more simulator enough to not justify there own separate thread from my limited understanding these genres.
Simulator? Is that a new slang word for something?

Also, here's a quick explanation:
Rap is a genre of music. Hip hop is a culture created in the early 70's, which was manifested by forms of artistic expression like rap, djing (turntabling), graffiti, breaking (or "break dance", as they call it on TV), beatboxing etc.

Anyway, try KRS One. He's been doing rap since the early 80's and he's still going strong. He's also one of the smartest rappers out there.

Older KRS One mix:

More recent stuff:

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Pretty much all of mine have been mentioned... but hell, here's a few songs that weren't.

...And, hell. I actually really like Mike Shinoda's side project, Fort Minor.

I really think I only like the genre on a few conditions...

The lyrics have to either be clever or intelligent, the beat has to be good, and there has to be something more to it than just "I have money. Yay, bitches."

Kenji, for instance, is about the Japanese Americans being placed in concentration camps during WW2.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
War Penguin said:
-psudo-snip-
Aesop Rock

Sage Francis
*High Five* Good choices. Might I also recommend Saul Williams? In particular the songs: "Skin of a Drum", "Seaweed" and "Talk to Strangers." I do apologize that I can't find videos. I can't post things like that in good conscience without seeing them first, and many of them are blocked in my country.

wyldchyld337

May 24, 2011
Get on Spotify and look up Tech N9ne, as others have stated. Saw this guy open for ICP back in '03 and fell in love with his style. The songs to look for, in my opinion, are "This Ring," "'Bout ta Bubble," "Slacker," and "Einstein."

breadsammich

May 5, 2011
Immortal Technique. His subject matter tends to be very heavy, but his lyrics are very deep.

Probably my favorite song by him, disturbing as hell but so very good.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Red X said:
This thread has got some heavy beats
piinyouri said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Well, seeing as gangsta rap is the only kind I'm into, I guess I can't link anything. But I'll have you know, OP, that you're wrong. Lyrics aren't the only thing Rap has. That's an incredibly ignorant thing to say, to be honest.
I know we're dealing with opinions here, and maybe I'm just an atmosphere person through and through, but the beat is as important to me as writing. In fact it's usually what draws me in initially.

When I first heard this...
that eerie, haunted beat struck me first, and drew me in.
Please, i think Chris Rock proved beyond a shadow of a doubt in Rap and even Hip-Hop, Lyrics don't matter if the beats alright

I suggest Waka Flocka for you then. He has great beats but doesn't really do anything on them. He's got a great Crunk vibe though.

OT: Guess I gotta rep for the South.

Chamillionaire 2005 and back was fantastic, had great wordplay and lyrics. Mixtape Messiah 1 and Get Yo Mind Correct are great albums to listen to.

Brotha Lynch Hung is getting better, his Mannibalector album is fun if you like horrorcore or need to let loose a bit.

If you want to relax I would look into the sub-genre of Screwed and Chopped music. It extends to R&B too.

Hopsin has been mentioned but I'll say it again just to be on the safe side.

Killa Kyleon has turned into a beast of a rapper.

And shit, I heard of Immortal Technique before but never listened to a song. Dance with the devil....wow. Glad I came into this thread.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
I always liked Outkast, both their old stuff, and the new

Kid Cudi is also a good start

J. Cole as well, my newest fave

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
Doom, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Freddie Gibbs, Killer Mike, Nas, Wu-Tang, Individual members of Wu-Tang (ODB, Raekwon, GZA), Why?, The Streets, Earl, Death Grips