Recommend good Rap/Hip-Hop songs/groups

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
But seriously, if you haven't listened to Rap Music by Killer Mike, you're missing out on one of the best hip hop albums of the past 10 years.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
As you're a member of these forums, it seems likely you'll appreciate some nerdcore.

Full disclosure: I only discovered her because she collabs with Lars pretty frequently.

This is roughly as normal as they get.

Niflhel

Sep 25, 2010
Jedi Mind Trick

Immortal Technique

Hunter and Mortar

Souls of Mischief

Busdriver

Pete Rock & CL Smooth

Promoe

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
shirkbot said:
War Penguin said:
-psudo-snip-
Aesop Rock

Sage Francis
*High Five* Good choices. Might I also recommend Saul Williams? In particular the songs: "Skin of a Drum", "Seaweed" and "Talk to Strangers." I do apologize that I can't find videos. I can't post things like that in good conscience without seeing them first, and many of them are blocked in my country.
Nice! Will do, man. I'll check him out! I trust your tastes so far! :D

Seriously, this thread is a gold mine! xD

ShiningAmber

Mar 18, 2013
Chakuza.

It's German rap, some probably not for everyone. The chorus is f*cking beautiful.

Bliss n Eso

They're Australian. But, they're not like the typical rap fad. I really like these guys. They tell stories and send positive messages through their work. I listen to these guys daily. Definitely look up their works. Their new album - "Circus in the Sky" just came out. A lot of good songs in there.

Just get to that 1:00 mark and let that chorus roll. It's pure awesome.

Horrorshow

He's Australian too, but very chill. This is a little more upbeat than most of his work. But, this song is pure epic. Just wait for that chorus.

Seth Sentry

Another Australian :p I lived there for a few years and fell in love with the hip hop/rap scene there. One of my favorite lyrical lines is in this song.

"What about a fall back? What happens if don't work? How you gonna claw back? Man, you gotta think, yeah you gotta think. Man, you a support act. Remember all that self doubt? Can you recall that?"

Definitely an awesome pump up and work out song, imo. If you want to see just how funny this guy can be give 'The Waitress Song' a go. It's impossible for me not to sing along and smile to that.

Here's the Waitress Song :p Pure love

Hilltop Hoods

These guys are badass. You want to get pumped up? These are definitely do it. This is one of my favorites, but it was a hard choice to just put one up. For all that's holy, check these guys out.

And finally, Spit Syndicate - Aussie too :p Think I'm trying to tell ya something. Chill beat. Check these guys out.

If you have any questions about this stuff, shoot me a pm.

SSJBlastoise

Dec 20, 2012
I'm going to have to agree with the people that have said Bliss N Eso and The Hilltop Hoods. They are a couple of great ausie hip hop groups.

I'm also a pretty big fan of Drapht.

Also, how has Jay Z not been mentioned?!

The rest are just some song's that I've liked over the past few years.

[youtube]

Oct 2, 2012
War Penguin said:
Seriously? No one has mentioned Aesop Rock yet? For shame, Escapists! For shame!

Hell, just buy the album Labor Days. You know what we call that shit where I'm from? We call that shit dope!

*Ahem*

So yeah... Aesop Rock is good if you want your hip hop to be a bit more poetic. Though bear in mind that you'll might want to re-listen to a lot of his songs in order to understand what he's saying. You hear it the first time and you hardly have an idea of what he's saying. You look up the lyrics and you have even less of an idea than before. So yeah. Aesop Rock is a lot of fun to listen to if you want to deconstruct his music. That and the beat is just nothing short of sick!

EDIT: WHAT?!? No Sage Francis either?! Come on people! If [user]Vault101[/user] were still here, she'd be all over this shit!

Let me put it like this: Sage Francis made the first rap song to make me cry. He makes it a much more personal experience and feels a lot more emotional and open than a lot of other rappers.

The only exception is Slug from the group Atmosphere, but thankfully someone already posted an example of that. That said, I'm gonna post my favorite song of their's anyway! :D

And hell, I haven't seen anyone post Deltron 3030 yet, so allow me...

You know the Gorillaz? You remember the rapper from the song Clint Eastwood? That's this guy. And he's fucking awesome! I'll admit, he's a little bit... nerdier than most other rappers that I've heard, but I like that. It gives him much more personality, which makes him stand out.

I uh... like talking about music. <.<
You, you are awesome. Seriously, OP, just listen to this dude, he knows his shit.

As for my own contribution I'll go with everything the guy I quoted has posted and some Eyedea/Oliver Hart.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Beffudled Sheep said:
War Penguin said:
Seriously? No one has mentioned Aesop Rock yet? For shame, Escapists! For shame!

Hell, just buy the album Labor Days. You know what we call that shit where I'm from? We call that shit dope!

*Ahem*

So yeah... Aesop Rock is good if you want your hip hop to be a bit more poetic. Though bear in mind that you'll might want to re-listen to a lot of his songs in order to understand what he's saying. You hear it the first time and you hardly have an idea of what he's saying. You look up the lyrics and you have even less of an idea than before. So yeah. Aesop Rock is a lot of fun to listen to if you want to deconstruct his music. That and the beat is just nothing short of sick!

EDIT: WHAT?!? No Sage Francis either?! Come on people! If [user]Vault101[/user] were still here, she'd be all over this shit!

Let me put it like this: Sage Francis made the first rap song to make me cry. He makes it a much more personal experience and feels a lot more emotional and open than a lot of other rappers.

The only exception is Slug from the group Atmosphere, but thankfully someone already posted an example of that. That said, I'm gonna post my favorite song of their's anyway! :D

You know the Gorillaz? You remember the rapper from the song Clint Eastwood? That's this guy. And he's fucking awesome! I'll admit, he's a little bit... nerdier than most other rappers that I've heard, but I like that. It gives him much more personality, which makes him stand out.

You, you are awesome. Seriously, OP, just listen to this dude, he knows his shit.

As for my own contribution I'll go with everything the guy I quoted has posted and some Eyedea/Oliver Hart.
:D

Thanks! I'm glad I share the same tastes as at least a few people here, yourself included! Also, I've always heard of Eyedea, but never heard anything by him. Until now. Holy shit... Where the fuck has he been all my life?

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
In my pantheon of hip hop royalty, Public Enemy is king, queen, pope, and prime minister. Das Racist is court jester. I don't ask for much more.

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
Have a weird obsession with Southern rappers

Z-ro -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjLcJVw3Mtk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji1EDCmrKw8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEI_hf8plHg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70ASgUTSVs

Then If I have to say Tupac then I really don't want you to listen to rap anymore because you should already know about him.

Biggie is also awesome as fuck -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwt4AYQi_i8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EVT5ONR0w0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rogvlB2SP4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GygEAcFFMVs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURc6VHyYV0

Yes I'm sure there's some stuff about gangs in some of this but that's just what comes with rap.

Oct 2, 2012
War Penguin said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
War Penguin said:

*Ahem*

Thanks! I'm glad I share the same tastes as at least a few people here, yourself included! Also, I've always heard of Eyedea, but never heard anything by him. Until now. Holy shit... Where the fuck has he been all my life?
Underground man :p
I'm actually surprised you haven't come across him as he, Slug and Aes knew each other and collaborated on a few songs.
For example
Sadly Eyedea died in 2010 of "opiate toxicity". :(

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Ice Cube:
Da Lench Mob:
Geto Boys:
That's a good start at least. Old school is the best way to go.

balfore

Nov 9, 2006
I'd recommend Astronautalis, very alt hip hop but I find him quite catchy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FdUdvajOp0

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
How'd we get this far in without a mention of Queen Latifah? "U-n-i-t-y", still one of my favorites.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Beffudled Sheep said:
War Penguin said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
War Penguin said:

*Ahem*

I'm actually surprised you haven't come across him as he, Slug and Aes knew each other and collaborated on a few songs.
For example
Oh fuck, really? Shit, man... Feel kinda bad finding out about him so late as I did. Like I said, always heard of him, just not from him. Changing that though!

Oct 2, 2012
War Penguin said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
War Penguin said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
War Penguin said:

*Ahem*

For example
Oh fuck, really? Shit, man... Feel kinda bad finding out about him so late as I did. Like I said, always heard of him, just not from him. Changing that though!
Yep. I remember googling to see when his next album was gonna drop and I see "eyedea found dead in his home. Cause unknown". I was shocked to say the least.
Eat his stuff up, but slowly. He has a lot but no more will be coming so don't burn yourself out :)

Hedge

Aug 1, 2013
(sorry i don't know how to spoiler or inbed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki6YTXyITaQ - Drapht- jimmy ricard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSFT2OKcdk0 - Hill top Hoods - nose bleed section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyzrKPcLpBw - Butterfingers - FIGJAM (F**k im good just ask me)

also seth sentry. i dont like most of his stuff but this one song is good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOH15_pqWZ4 - seth sentry - dear science

this is all Australian hip-hop and i find its quite different to other types. in fact its usually referd to as "skip-hop" in music store and such