Recommend me a game like XCOM: Enemy Within or Heroes of Might & Magic III

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Recommend me a game like XCOM: Enemy Within or Heroes of Might & Magic III. Yes, those games have little in common with each other, but I just feel like playing one of those type of games.

I haven't found many XCOM clones; did try Shadowrun, but didn't like the game much.

So, any good recommendations (no older than 5 years)?

EDIT: forgot to mention: PC games only.

The Forces of Chaos

Mar 25, 2010
Well there is Mordheim : City of the Damned, but that's in early access. Only other thing off the top of my head maybe is divinity original sin (not sure if it counts but is turned based I think).

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
The Forces of Chaos said:
Well there is Mordheim : City of the Damned, but that's in early access. Only other thing off the top of my head maybe is divinity original sin (not sure if it counts but is turned based I think).
Mordheim looks interesting, but it's too unfinished ATM. I'll probably try it out later.

I have already played Divinity: Original Sin. It does have some of the tactical combat elements, but not exactly what I am looking for.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Gundam GP01 said:
You just want turn based tactics stuff? Xenonauts, Fire Emblem, Disgaea all kinda work.

There's also Age of Wonders 3. It's got kind of a similar thing to might and magic going on, but with a little 4X in it too.

Valkyria Chronicles is sorta similar, but it plays a bit differently and doesnt have much of the base building element.

King's bounty may be something to look into.
Ah yes, I forgot to mention, I am looking for PC games only.

Age of Wonders 3 has crossed my mind before. So I should look into it again.

Valkyria Chronicles is pretty interesting. But I've already completed it. Good call, though.

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
Disciples: Sacred Lands is really good. It's been a while since I played it, but it's a lot of fun and has a lot of HoMM elements. For some reason I remember the combat reminds me of Ogre Battle, but can't specifically say why.

Age of Wonders (3 was already mentioned above) is slightly more tactical and 4x-ish, but still lots of fun.

Also, if you haven't already played through HoMM II I'd recommend that as well. GOG has it (including expansion maps) for a bargain pretty often. There are minor differences in how things are done, and some cool features in HoMM III that you might miss, but it's still great. The art ranges from good (sprites and pixel art stuff) to hilariously goofy (character portraits).

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
The Kings Bounty titles are all 1000% Heroes of M&M. There are a bunch too.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
thoughtwrangler said:
Disciples: Sacred Lands is really good.
I've not played that, but I've played Disciples 2, and that's really good, too. It's really reminiscent of Heroes, although it does it's own thing for sure - units get XP and level up to be promoted to other types of units, which could change them quite a bit. Definitely lots of fun.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Gundam GP01 said:
Well, Xenonauts is a PC game and it's pretty much just a remake of the original X-Com: UFO Defense that XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within is a reboot of.
Yeah, I just checked it. It's as close to X-Com as possible, without being X-Com. Looks interesting.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Banner Saga? Kinda like a medieval XCOM with a side order of Oregon Trail. Have a shufty on steam or youtube, see if it might be your thang. Someone already mentioned Xenonauts, thats very like XCOM though lower fidelity. Depends if that matters to you or not, still a cracking little game.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
+1 to Xenonauts

I could actually recommend you a whole bunch of xcom clones but xenonauts is simply the best of them all.

If you want an xcom game that does things a little different, give Ufo Afterlight a try. Basically the UFO series tried to be a successor to xcom with...debatable success. The main cool thing about this franchise though is they kept a storyline going through the games.

Afterlight takes place after the previous game's "bad" ending where humans surrendered (not the same as a game over, rather it was a story option that the aliens offered you ONE chance to surrender and save what remains of humanity, and you could either flip them off or take it) and aliens basically covered the earth in grey goo to turn it into an organic supercomputer (to make a long story very short), the surviving humans were then placed either in an orbital space station (these would become the topic of another game in the UFO series) whilst the other half of the spared humans were sent to mars with the hopes of founding a new home for humanity there.

UFO afterlight has you controlling a very limited pool of personel with the goal of terraforming mars and making it habitable. It's a much more controlled and restrictive experience then usual xcom games but due to its strong theme I feel it's worth a mention as an alternative to xenonauts.

Finally I suppose I could mention UFO: Extraterrestials since it also has a theme that is a bit different to other xcom games.

Basically the setup is that this is set further in the future, where humanity already started colonizing new worlds. The aliens have already invaded earth and taken it over and all contact with it has been lost.
You control the equivalent of xcom on humanity's last remaining significant outworld colony, and otherwise its all standard xcom fare, with the twist that the setting is quite advanced to start with and will only get even more futuristic as you go along.

Finally staying within the xcom series, if the age doesn't scare you away, Xcom Apocalypse is well worth a playthrough. Probably my favorite game of the original xcom series now that xenonauts is out.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
Yeah, I'll second the King's Bounty games. They all play pretty similar, so I'd pick up whichever is cheapest (KB: The Legend is the oldest of the modern titles; I wouldn't pick up anything before that. Crossworlds might be slightly better, though, if you can find it at a similar price (though the plot is, somehow, worse). If you're not familiar with them, they're basically like HoMM, but there's no town management. And it's all real-time, not turn-based. It's pretty much an improvement in every way but plot, IMHO. The plot in the KB games is terribly generic and practically nonexistent, however, so don't play the games for that.

Oh, and when you pick your class, play as a wizard. The other classes are just so boring. The first time I started KB: The Legend, I started as a paladin. I lasted about an hour. Restarted again as a wizard and never looked back. All wizard, all the time.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Besides the ones already mentioned, have a look at invisible inc., massive chalice, shadowrun dragonfall, blood bowl and there came an echo.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
GhostControl [http://store.steampowered.com/app/280540] is an interesting one that not many people know about.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Expeditions: Conquistador is pretty good for story and gameplay. You basically play a small spanish party that replaces the infamous Cortez in a expedition to Mexico. You can reenact history if you wish to massacre the Aztecs or you can take a better(less wealthy) path. Id say the strongest part is the really good writing with interesting well written characters, they dont glorify the Aztecs as noble savages and the Spaniards as terrible people but everyone is just human characters with flaws and goals. Theres a wealth of choices in the later game as to how to progress in the campaign. Its like Heroes when you move around on the worldmap and like Xcom when you fight and theres a survival aspect to having to keep track of things like food and medicine.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Shadowrun Returns, and Shadowrun Dragonfall: Director's Cut, are both very XCOM:EU like. Pretty fun cyberpunk/magic storybased games, with level progression, in a gritty, grimdark future. The combat is very very similar to XCOM.

I enjoyed Dragonfall quite a lot, but never did play Returns.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I think my recommendation is an unpopular one with Heros of M&M fans but I would say Heroes V. 3 is still the best imo but I had alot of fun with Heroes V. It was quite cheap on GOG last time I saw it and there are two expantions that are worth playing as well.

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
Happyninja42 said:
Shadowrun Returns, and Shadowrun Dragonfall: Director's Cut, are both very XCOM:EU like. Pretty fun cyberpunk/magic storybased games, with level progression, in a gritty, grimdark future. The combat is very very similar to XCOM.

I enjoyed Dragonfall quite a lot, but never did play Returns.
Only redeeming factor of the returns is that it introduces new-comers to the Shwdowrun world.

Otherwise not recommended, for ANYONE.

(However, given the story of the Dragonfall, I'd still recommend returns... if one wants to appreciate and enjoy Dragonfall fully.)

Edit:
As for the OT, King's bounty is pretty much like Might and magic solely on combat aspect, and only combat.

I think you are looking for the base building aspect too and I don't have anything of offer on that.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
The obvious answers have all already been said, but I'll mention them again for posterity:

-Age of Wonders series, namely Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic if you're looking for the best of the older series and Age of Wonders 3 if you want something newer. Great franchise that combines elements of games like Heroes of Might & Magic with more traditional strategy game elements ala Civilization series.

-King's Bounty series. Crossworlds is probably the best game to start with of the new games but really they're not exactly story-driven experience so you can play any of them in any order. They all pretty much play and look the same just with some tweaks and gimmicks here and there.

-Xenonauts, which is basically just a newer and shiny version of the original X-Com games.

-Disciples series. Another series in the same sort of vein as Heroes but with some original quirks to it. Disciples 2 is the best of the series despite being older and is definitely worth looking into.

-Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Okay, yeah, you mentioned you'd tried this one but seriously Dragonfall was great. The combat is still not its strongest suit with Dragonfall but nevertheless it's much improved as are the rpg elements and freedom of choice and consequence. Probably my favourite rpg of 2014.